Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Werthog 95 posted:

in what world does "a full backup of your iPhone" not include your apps

wha thappen warthog 95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

laffo

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

they quit yahoo?

Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

they quit yahoo?

they quit showing weather too apparently

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

i'm sure

The
Weather
Channel®

is getting slammed with update requests now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Millstone posted:

wha thappen warthog 95

i backed up my phone and then tried updating ios

the ios update failed and the phone went into recovery mode, itunes offered only to restore the phone to factory settings. i did and this put ios 8 on it too??

then it offered to restore from my backup and i did so and now all my apps are gone. but my mail accounts and wallpapers and poo poo are still there. i guess because my apps weren't synced to this computer

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
why cant they just use weather.gov

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

why cant they just use weather.gov

because weather.gov won't pay them to put their logo on the app

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
lol for some reason their weather app doesn't work with My Location but if you just have where you are saved it works fine

apple what are you doing

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

My Linux Rig posted:

so apparently hey siri doesn't work unless the phone is plugged in

so it's useless unless I'm at work or sleeping

what? that doesn't make sense

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
did you restore from an icloud backup or an itunes backup?

The iclouod backup is supposed to kick off all your apps being redownloaded

sorry man :( i just did this and it Worked For Me

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

i backed up my phone and then tried updating ios

the ios update failed and the phone went into recovery mode, itunes offered only to restore the phone to factory settings. i did and this put ios 8 on it too??

then it offered to restore from my backup and i did so and now all my apps are gone. but my mail accounts and wallpapers and poo poo are still there. i guess because my apps weren't synced to this computer

so you weren't using icloud backup

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

but any phone backup should have worked and copied over all the apps

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

it's downloaded but not installed because I forgot to charge my phone last night but I'm sure my needs will be suited in due time

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

so you weren't using icloud backup

why would i use icloud backup when i have a computer right here that i can plug into with a cable for free

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Blackula69 posted:

but any phone backup should have worked and copied over all the apps

local backups assume you have a copy of the app in your iTunes library

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Stymie posted:

remember when apple released the podcasts app and it was utterly broken, acting as a canary in the post-jobs coal mine?

:sigh:

the gently caress is that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so where in itunes is the page that lists all the apps you've purchased and allows you to redownload them with a single click. obviously this page exists and i just don't know how to find it, because why the hell wouldn't it exist.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
updating now, can't wait for this to inevitably gently caress up and leave me without a phone :getin:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

local backups assume you have a copy of the app in your iTunes library

what a ridiculous assumption to make, especially when i can't copy the apps to this itunes library, because associating the phone with a new library requires you to wipe all the apps off the phone

oh OH, i was supposed to "transfer purchases" first, is that it? but then i still have no guarantee that it wouldn't wipe all the settings from those apps

asdlfadgjk

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

so where in itunes is the page that lists all the apps you've purchased and allows you to redownload them with a single click. obviously this page exists and i just don't know how to find it, because why the hell wouldn't it exist.

app store > updates > purchased (and then "not on this iphone" if desired). you can't one-click download all your apps but you can one-click download each app by hitting the cloud

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so apparently my app settings/documents/whatever are still on the phone, because that's part of the backup but not the apps themselves????

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

oh OH, i was supposed to "transfer purchases" first, is that it? but then i still have no guarantee that it wouldn't wipe all the settings from those apps

yes

seems like the error is with... the user

rip werthog's phone

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Werthog 95 posted:

so apparently my app settings/documents/whatever are still on the phone, because that's part of the backup but not the apps themselves????

probably so just redownload your apps

also iTunes has always been this way that's why it rules/sucks.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the ios 8 update went smoothly and everything is working perfectly. thanks timb

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
also use iCloud backups you babby

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

pretty much, if you just re/dl your apps everything should be back more or less how it was before

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

univbee posted:

app store > updates > purchased (and then "not on this iphone" if desired). you can't one-click download all your apps but you can one-click download each app by hitting the cloud

no i mean in itunes, because i'm at work and don't have wifi. obviously this is in itunes somewhere.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Blackula69 posted:

what? that doesn't make sense

yeah it's pretty dumb

way to go apple still trying to catch up to android

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Use the home button to bring up Siri and ask her to set a timer. After she sets the timer and shows you the remaining time, you can now say "Hey Siri" and she'll start listening- even if you're not plugged in to a power source.

My first thought was that, if I had a 45-minute car drive in front of me, and I wasn't plugging my phone in to the USB in the car (forgot the cord or whatever), I could set the 45 minute timer and use "Hey Siri" while I'm driving.

lol jesus it's one button

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Werthog 95 posted:

no i mean in itunes, because i'm at work and don't have wifi. obviously this is in itunes somewhere.

iTunes store > Purchased > Apps

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

it's been a while but i'm pretty sure there's a purchase history link somewhere within the app store that should basically give you the same thing i just mentioned

Apr 7, 2003

Apple Inc, a subsidiary of Samsung

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

lol for some reason their weather app doesn't work with My Location but if you just have where you are saved it works fine

apple what are you doing

works4me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

iTunes store > Purchased > Apps

oh ok kewl

that's what i get for skipping straight to the "app store" tab instead of hunting around in the tiny list of "quick links" on the front page

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that can't be the right temprature unless that's washington, qatar

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Werthog 95 posted:

what a ridiculous assumption to make, especially when i can't copy the apps to this itunes library, because associating the phone with a new library requires you to wipe all the apps off the phone
no it's reasonable because if the apps are already in your iTunes library because you let it manage your media and backup like a good citizen, then it'd be redundant to include the apps in the actual backups. also people would complain about backups being huge and taking forever.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

ii had the same problem i think you have to go into your iPhone in itunes and go to Apps and hit some magic poo poo there like download all or i can' tremember sorry

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

univbee posted:

that can't be the right temprature unless that's washington, qatar

not all people use god's own temperature scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
u did something wrong werthog sry

• Locked thread