Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rotor posted:

and they dont even have to maintain servers

look, I'm not saying they didn't overpay. I'm saying that of the recent big tech purchases, this isn't really that bad at all.

yeah this is a beats level purchase. still 'ehhh' but not 'ughhh'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The point is Minecraft lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wait wtf thread is this

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
for the record i think minecraft is perfectly fine and worth buying and i've only been posting that they massively overpaid for it while also doing dumb poo poo like firing lots of their QA staff to save money at the same time

i thought that is what most people were loling about too

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the collapse of google is progressing well

A little over a year ago, Google CEO Larry Page convened his direct reports, the company’s dozen or so senior vice presidents, for a project that would take up two days a week for a couple of months. About 100 other employees below the SVP rank also participated in the effort, dubbed Google 2.0.

The aim was to come up with goals for the company in areas ranging from subscription businesses to location services to developing replacements for traditional passwords.

Mr. Page, people close to him say, felt he didn’t have enough control over Google’s product direction. He believed Google’s main teams were too big and wanted better focus and more deliberate resource allocation. “The business was growing super fast, but without his stamp on it,” said one participant.

A closer look at Google 2.0 and a handful of other big ideas floated by Mr. Page—including the creation of a second major research lab alongside Google X and building a model airport and city—shows the remarkable scope of his ambitions for a company that still makes most of its money on Web-search advertising.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

the collapse of google is progressing well

A little over a year ago, Google CEO Larry Page convened his direct reports, the company’s dozen or so senior vice presidents, for a project that would take up two days a week for a couple of months. About 100 other employees below the SVP rank also participated in the effort, dubbed Google 2.0.

The aim was to come up with goals for the company in areas ranging from subscription businesses to location services to developing replacements for traditional passwords.

Mr. Page, people close to him say, felt he didn’t have enough control over Google’s product direction. He believed Google’s main teams were too big and wanted better focus and more deliberate resource allocation. “The business was growing super fast, but without his stamp on it,” said one participant.

A closer look at Google 2.0 and a handful of other big ideas floated by Mr. Page—including the creation of a second major research lab alongside Google X and building a model airport and city—shows the remarkable scope of his ambitions for a company that still makes most of its money on Web-search advertising.

how does it feel to know google's doing great cremnob

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Google is the corporate equivalent of Tom Hanks in "Big"

Mentally and emotionally underdeveloped manchild with too much money.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

how does it feel to know google's doing great cremnob

this took 21 mins see me after class

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

this took 21 mins see me after class

i was busy playing grand thefted auto 5 online for the microsoft xbox 360 entertainment system

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i want a slef drive car that can get me to and fro the beach where i get immensely hammered. also to and from this big fail fags house in silverlake where i also get immensely hammered. i dont care if i need to intervene at a place where the road is all clogged with cranes and steam rollers etc. google, ship this car asap!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also, i dont want to 'hail' it or summon it with an app. i want it inside of my parking spot ready for me to hop in at any time. i want my girlk friend to be able to keep her make up and other FAIL bitch poo poo in the car. the ultra LOSE of uber/car share service etc is that you cant keep ur derringer in a cabs globe box, imVHO

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

also, i dont want to 'hail' it or summon it with an app. i want it inside of my parking spot ready for me to hop in at any time. i want my girlk friend to be able to keep her make up and other FAIL bitch poo poo in the car. the ultra LOSE of uber/car share service etc is that you cant keep ur derringer in a cabs globe box, imVHO

in an uber vehicle the driver is expected to supply the pepperbox pistol on request

water, iphone charger, concealable weapon

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you hafta bring your own condoms tho if you want him to use one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

i was busy playing grand thefted auto 5 online for the microsoft xbox 360 entertainment system

i see

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

cremnob posted:

no its not a shakedown. they have 90% market share in europe so lol if u dont think thats not going to invite regulation and trust busting

lol if u think margrethe vestager is anything but a corporate lapdog

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Smythe posted:

true, at some point theyre going to run up against the 'murrican concept of car ownership. also, where the heck does one leave their drugs?

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
how is my dog supposed to die of heatstroke in this poo poo?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
just ask /r/petfree

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you hafta bring your own condoms tho if you want him to use one

goddamn

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

welp here you go http://didgoogleshutdown.com

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

doesnt work

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gently caress git. works now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

works but looks like poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google would be proud

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah i will fix everything and put on github if you want

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

no thanks

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

go away mean troll

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i poured my whole lunch hour into that site

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

loool

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's less terrible on mobile now (:ohdear: maybe)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

why do things that have a status of dead have an outlook of days numbered? shouldnt the outlook be never coming back or something like that?

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

shouldn't they have a gmail, not an outlook

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tik tok on the clock Google blow my Reader up

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

another hyped up Google thing that will never come to fruition. this time they are changing... get this.. the Internet

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/10317/google-gigabyte-upload-speed/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

another sign google plus is dead.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/google-nixes-g-requirement-for-gmail-accounts/

The grand unbundling of Google’s G+ social network continues, with Gmail becoming the latest Google service to gain its independence from Google’s campaign of forced integration.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Larry Page wants a Google 2.0 that will build cities and airports, report says
The world's got problems and the Google CEO is searching for solutions

As if self-driving cars, balloon-carried internet, or the eradication of death weren't ambitious enough projects, Google CEO Larry Page has apparently been working behind the scenes to set up even bolder tasks for his company. The Information reports that Page started up a Google 2.0 project inside the company a year ago to look at the big challenges facing humanity and the ways Google can overcome them. Among the grand-scale plans discussed were Page's desire to build a more efficient airport as well as a model city. To progress these ideas to fruition, the Google chief has also apparently proposed a second research and development lab, called Google Y, to focus on even longer-term programs that the current Google X, which looks to support future technology and is headed up by his close ally Sergey Brin.

None of these ambitions seem to be taking commercial considerations into account, at least not at their outset. More realistic and near-term goals have also been under discussion during Google 2.0 meetings, including Page's determination that location tracking should be precise "down to the inches." That would allow people to identify those around them discreetly, as well as providing information to store owners that can help customize what you're presented with as you walk through a shop. Also, just as Apple is doing with Touch ID on the iPhone, Page wants to see some form of biometric security — potentially provided by the sensors embedded in smartwatches — replacing the traditional (and traditionally insecure) written password. It's hardly a surprise to see Google thinking about the future, but the ambition illustrated in this report is strikingly grand and all-encompassing, even for a company as vast as the one Larry Page controls.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

THC posted:

Larry Page wants a Google 2.0 that will build cities and airports, report says
The world's got problems and the Google CEO is searching for solutions

As if self-driving cars, balloon-carried internet, or the eradication of death weren't ambitious enough projects, Google CEO Larry Page has apparently been working behind the scenes to set up even bolder tasks for his company. The Information reports that Page started up a Google 2.0 project inside the company a year ago to look at the big challenges facing humanity and the ways Google can overcome them. Among the grand-scale plans discussed were Page's desire to build a more efficient airport as well as a model city. To progress these ideas to fruition, the Google chief has also apparently proposed a second research and development lab, called Google Y, to focus on even longer-term programs that the current Google X, which looks to support future technology and is headed up by his close ally Sergey Brin.

None of these ambitions seem to be taking commercial considerations into account, at least not at their outset. More realistic and near-term goals have also been under discussion during Google 2.0 meetings, including Page's determination that location tracking should be precise "down to the inches." That would allow people to identify those around them discreetly, as well as providing information to store owners that can help customize what you're presented with as you walk through a shop. Also, just as Apple is doing with Touch ID on the iPhone, Page wants to see some form of biometric security — potentially provided by the sensors embedded in smartwatches — replacing the traditional (and traditionally insecure) written password. It's hardly a surprise to see Google thinking about the future, but the ambition illustrated in this report is strikingly grand and all-encompassing, even for a company as vast as the one Larry Page controls.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

holy gently caress I hate nerds so much

im terrified to forward that article to anyone because I know half of them will be like "yeah people are the problem politics suck"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

THC posted:

holy gently caress I hate nerds so much

im terrified to forward that article to anyone because I know half of them will be like "yeah people are the problem politics suck"

i have bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you're the nerd

• Locked thread