Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Republicans are Daleks and Democrats are the Ood, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Y'all do realize wind, solar, geothermal, and hydroelectric power all exist, right? Nuclear isn't the Great Satan that the Greens portray it as, but it's not like it's all we have other than fossil fuels.

e: use geothermal to power the PNW, subsidize home solar panels heavily, put hydroelectric turbines in every major body of running water, build a shitload of wind farms everywhere. How is this infeasible other than cost?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 17, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you being serious?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Y'all do realize wind, solar, geothermal, and hydroelectric power all exist, right? Nuclear isn't the Great Satan that the Greens portray it as, but it's not like it's all we have other than fossil fuels.

e: use geothermal to power the PNW, subsidize home solar panels heavily, put hydroelectric turbines in every major body of running water, build a shitload of wind farms everywhere. How is this infeasible other than cost?

It actually is all we have other than fossil fuels for baseload power, until we can build truly massive energy storage facilities across the country to buffer renewable sources.

It's unfeasible since there isn't that much geothermal, subsidizing solar panels doesn't make them work at night or in cloudy weather, nearly all good hydro locations are either already tapped or tapping them would destroy ecosystems (ps our existing hydro facilities also did that but we mostly made them before that was a concern), wind doesn't blow all the time, and you still need truly massive amounts of energy storage in order to smooth out all the varying power inputs to have a grid that works.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using nuclear so why the slavish insistence to use other things that are a ton less practical and to some extent theoretical? I'm not kidding here, being able to effectively store 2 or 3 days of the nation's entire electricity demand, which is what you'd need for a mostly renewable system, would rely on brand new developments in storage to work.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Hydroelectric isn't good either, though. If you really wanna gently caress up an ecosystem, you put in a dam. You stop sediment movement, spawning locations disappear with the sediment, beaches start eroding at the mouth of the stream because they're no longer carrying sand...

Damming water flow has huge chain reactions on the environment.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Cost and quantity of materials, time necessary to build new generating capacity, availability of prime generation area... we've already put hydro plants pretty much everywhere it's worthwhile to do so, for one thing, and we basically can't build new wind and solar and geothermal and what have you quickly enough to make a difference without also building more nuclear plants.

The question of preventing catastrophic climate change, of course, is increasingly academic, but if you favor a serious policy shift to address the impact we're having on the environment and you do not favor nuclear power as one part of the solution then you contradict yourself.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Rokstar posted:

So Democrats are the tools of Satan? I don't think you thought this through.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Rokstar posted:

Man even the ood are too cool to be an analogy for the democrats.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There's a great number of people who think "MUH GUT tells me this guy is guilty and all this high falutin' lawyering is just getting in the way of what everyone knows has to be done!"

For a group of people who call themselves conservatives, they sure as hell care very little about preserving our judicial traditions of due process and "innocent until proven guilty". It's a lot more romantic to picture rugged posses of honest country folk using their instincts to nab and swiftly hang troublemakers like in the good old days.

American conservatism is all about diving the world into two groups; people like me, who can do no wrong, and people not like me, who are all despicable filth. They don't give a poo poo about justice. People not like me should be punished for being not like me. If they're not like me it's proof that they did something wrong in a past life/their ancestors were guilty of something and God is punishing them.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The real question is why do any of that when we can just build some nuclear plants for a fraction of the cost and ecological damage?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

The real question is why do any of that when we can just build some nuclear plants for a fraction of the cost and ecological damage?

Because you get reactionary media shouting "Three mile island/Chernobyl/Fukushima" and then there is a public panic, and every congressman is suddenly worried about his seat because some challenger is running based on a sole NIMBY platform. Nuclear is the devil in the media that it isn't in real life.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A nuclear thing blew up some cities near the end of WWII and we've been hearing how nuclear things are threatening our mere existence so obviously all nuclear things are awful as indicated by those nuclear power plants that blew up but let's completely forget that that's less than 1% of all the plants that have ever been built and new designs are just flat out stupidly safe.

There's also nonstop screeching about how nuclear power produced RADIOACTIVE WASTE which will TOTALLY GIVE YOU CANCER!!!! OH MY GOD!!! IT'S HORRIBLE GLOWING TERROR poo poo THAT WILL GIVE THE WHOLE WORLD CANCER! DO YOU WANT CANCER? While, again, totally ignoring that nuclear power produces a pretty tiny amount of waste which is really, really easy to deal with, especially when you compare it to all the bullshit that, say coal power constantly vomits. Like, you know, lead, mercury, and a gently caress ton of carcinogens. But, of course, the common view is "well it's just a little smoke, who cares?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love the idea that Rush thinks "no means yes" but then rants about all these loose sluts running around crying for their birth control.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Those are great and everyone else has already hit upon the resources required to build those. However putting those everywhere will gently caress up ecosystems as well so its not really as environmentally friendly as it looks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I love the idea that Rush thinks "no means yes" but then rants about all these loose sluts running around crying for their birth control.

I kind of wonder if he's bitter about having no children and the fact that his wives don't seem to like him enough to stick around for all that long. It seems to me like his belief is that women have some sort of duty to gently caress men and satisfy their desires, up to and including bearing their children. Really, once he dies his special combination of grotesque obesity and grotesque opinions will be no more.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
Ironically, nuclear power is the one area in which a) environmentalists won and b) the capitalist mantra that "scientific innovation will handle all your concerns" proved correct for once.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hodgepodge posted:

Ironically, nuclear power is the one area in which a) environmentalists won and b) the capitalist mantra that "scientific innovation will handle all your concerns" proved correct for once.

Until they started building inferior designs and cutting corners (like the Florida power plants that had cracked concrete, which Florida Power and Light made worse while trying to patch, while charging customers extra money for non-existent plants). Trust investors to gently caress everything up.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Hodgepodge posted:

Ironically, nuclear power is the one area in which a) environmentalists won

In the sense that the field's been stagnant since forever and a lot of reactors are dilapidated, less-than-safe models due to lack of funding?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, I just saw a video autoplay on Fox News of Obama's half brother on Hannity? Anyone know anything about this?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Phone posted:

Uh, I just saw a video autoplay on Fox News of Obama's half brother on Hannity? Anyone know anything about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama

quote:

Malik Obama

Barack Obama's half-brother, also known as Abongo or Roy, was born c. March 1958,[99] the son of Barack Obama, Sr., and his first wife, Kezia.[103] Malik Obama was born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya.[104] He earned a degree in accounting from the University of Nairobi.[105] The half brothers met for the first time in 1985[104] when Barack flew from Chicago to Washington, D.C., to visit Malik.[106] Malik and his half-brother Barack were best men at each other's weddings.[104] Barack Obama brought his wife Michelle to Kenya three years later, and they met with Malik again while meeting many other relatives for the first time.[107]

Although much of the Obama family has dispersed throughout Kenya and overseas, most, including Malik Obama, still consider their rural village on the shores of Lake Victoria to be their true home. They feel that those who have left the village have become culturally "lost".[108] A frequent visitor to the United States,[107] and a consultant in Washington, D.C., for several months each year,[104] Malik settled in the Obamas' ancestral home, Nyang'oma Kogelo, a village of several hundred people. He prefers its slow pace to that of the city.[104] He runs a small electronics shop a half-hour's drive outside of town.[104]
During his brother's presidential campaign, Malik Obama was a spokesman for the extended Obama family in Kenya. He dealt with safety and privacy concerns arising from the increased attention from the press.[109] He ran for governor of the Kenyan county of Siaya in 2013,[110] and was defeated by a wide margin.[111]

quote:

Abo Obama

Barack Obama's alleged half-brother, also known as Samson Obama,[116] born 1968 to Kezia Obama. In Dreams from My Father, Obama wrote that his Obama relatives doubt that Abo and Bernard are the biological sons of Barack Obama, Sr. Abo is a mobile phone shop manager in Kenya.[117]

quote:

Bernard Obama

Barack Obama's alleged half-brother, born 1970 to Kezia Obama. Dreams from My Father states that the Obama family doubt Abo and Bernard are the biological sons of Barack Obama, Sr. He had been an auto parts supplier in Nairobi, Kenya, and has one child. Bernard converted to Islam as an adult and has said: "I'm a Muslim, I don't deny it. My father was raised a Muslim. But it's not an issue. I don't know what all the hullabaloo is about."[citation needed]

quote:

Mark Okoth Obama Ndesandjo

Barack Obama's half-brother, son of Barack Obama, Sr. and his third wife Ruth Baker.[120] Mark Ndesandjo runs an Internet company called WorldNexus that advises Chinese corporations how best to reach international customers.[121] Mark was educated in the US, graduating from Brown University; he studied physics at Stanford University, and received an MBA from Emory University.[122]

He has lived in Shenzhen, China, since 2002.[122] Through his mother, he is Jewish.[123] He is married to Liu Xuehua (also spelled Liu Zue Hua in some reports), a Chinese woman from Henan Province.[124][125] He is an accomplished pianist and has performed in concert.[126]

In 2009, Mark Ndesandjo published a semi-autobiographical novel, Nairobi to Shenzhen: A Novel of Love in the East.[127][128] He published a memoir in 2013, entitled, Cultures: My Odyssey of Self-Discovery.[129] In it, he accused their father Barack Sr. of abuse.[130]

quote:

David Ndesandjo (c. 1967 – c. 1987)

Barack Obama's half-brother (also known as David Opiyo Obama), son of Barack Obama, Sr. and his third wife, Ruth Baker, an American. He died in a motorcycle accident several years after his father's death in a car accident.[131][132]

quote:

George Hussein Onyango Obama

Youngest half-brother of Barack Obama, born c. 1982, son of Barack Obama, Sr.[133] and Jael Otieno. (She has since moved to Atlanta, Georgia) as a full-time resident.[134][135] George was six months old when his father died in an automobile accident, after which he was raised in Nairobi by his mother and a French step-father. His mother took him to South Korea for two years while she was working there.[134] Returning to Kenya, George Obama "slept rough for several years,"[136] until his aunt gave him a six-by-eight foot corrugated metal shack in the Nairobi slum of Huruma Flats.[134]

As of August 2008, George Obama was studying to become a mechanic.[134] He received little attention until featured in an article in the Italian-language edition of Vanity Fair in August 2008 during the US presidential campaign. This portrayed him as living in poverty, shame, and obscurity.[137] The article quoted George Obama as saying that he lived "on less than a dollar a month" and said that he "does not mention his famous half-brother in conversation" out of shame at his own poverty.[138] In later interviews, George contradicted this account. In an interview with The Times, he "said that he was furious at subsequent reports that he had been abandoned by the Obama family and that he was filled with shame about living in a slum."[135]

He told The Times, "Life in Huruma is good." George Obama said that he expects no favors, that he was supported by relatives, and that reports he lived on a dollar a month were "all lies by people who don't want my brother to win."[135] He told The Telegraph that he was inspired by his half-brother.[134] According to Time, George "has repeatedly denied ... that he feels abandoned by Obama."[139] CNN quoted him as saying, "I was brought up well. I live well even now. The magazines, they have exaggerated everything – I think I kind of like it here. There are some challenges, but maybe it is just like where you come from, there are the same challenges."[137] George Obama and the British journalist Damien Lewis published George's story in a 2011 book called Homeland.[140][141] George also appeared in the 2012 film, 2016: Obama's America, which was widely considered an anti-Obama documentary.[142]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was Mark Obama Ndesandjo.

God, Hannity is such a slimey shithead.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just a quick reminder that Sean Hannity definitely reads at least some of the random poo poo that gets sent to him on Twitter, so to be safe everyone should always be sending him taunting, mean messages.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

He really is a squinty motherfucker, isn't he?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

In the sense that the field's been stagnant since forever and a lot of reactors are dilapidated, less-than-safe models due to lack of funding?

Yeah I wouldn't say environmentalists won unless you consider it a pyrrhic victory. Although I wouldnt put the blame solely on environment lobbyists. Chernobyl and Three Mile really shook confidence in nuclear power, even though nothing bad happened at Three Mile and all the safeguards worked as design and Chernobyl well that was Soviet incompetence. One of the big problem with nuke power is the upfront cost of building new reactors which then take awhile to pay for themselves.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah I wouldn't say environmentalists won unless you consider it a pyrrhic victory. Although I wouldnt put the blame solely on environment lobbyists. Chernobyl and Three Mile really shook confidence in nuclear power, even though nothing bad happened at Three Mile and all the safeguards worked as design and Chernobyl well that was Soviet incompetence. One of the big problem with nuke power is the upfront cost of building new reactors which then take awhile to pay for themselves.

That can't be good for this quarter's profits.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Ray and Shirley posted:

He really is a squinty motherfucker, isn't he?

Son of Jay Leno

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a resource for decoding RW code terms? I'm seeing a few in the comments of that police ambush:
NOG
WAOOC
GRKZQO

I googled the last term with no hits, but didn't want a lot of probably white power poo poo in my browsing history.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Umm.... Not Our Guys? That last one is weird.

White American Only Oligarchs Club

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 17, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

Is there a resource for decoding RW code terms? I'm seeing a few in the comments of that police ambush:
NOG
WAOOC
GRKZQO

I googled the last term with no hits, but didn't want a lot of probably white power poo poo in my browsing history.

No clue what the last one is but I'll put money on Z being Zionist! Maybe Q for Queer.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gorillas R King Zoo Queens Oooooooooh!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

moths posted:

NOG
WAOOC
GRKZQO

I've seen WAOOC used as the strangest minced oath. Something rear end Out Of Control. To the surprise of no one, it's a white supremacist thing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

moths posted:

NOG
WAOOC
GRKZQO

So I was googling "Nog" and ran across the Urban Dictionary definition that seemed to indicate that Nog = the n word, which I've seen enough today so I'm not typing it out. Deal with it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
ZOG means Zionist Occupation Government in crazy racist lingo, so I'm going to assume NOG is a modified version of that. The N probably stands for the obvious slur.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Haven't seen this posted yet, but apparently the Right has a new "race guru" Link

The Race Guru posted:

The recent killing of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, sparked a national discussion about racism in America today, but the Wall Street Journal’s Jason Riley says the country is having the wrong conversation.

“Every time we get a Ferguson or a Trayvon Martin, we start talking about relationships between the black community and the police department,” Riley said. “We start talking about racial profiling. We start talking about poverty and unemployment. But I think those are really side issues, and what they're really ducking is the real issue, which is black criminality, black crime rates.”

Riley, who has been dubbed as the “the right’s favorite new race guru” by Salon Magazine, is the author of a provocative new book called "Please Stop Helping Us: How Liberals Make It Harder for Blacks to Succeed" in which he argues that “values and habits” within the black community, not “oppression from a manifestly unjust society,” are to blame for the challenges facing “the black underclass.”

“The question isn't whether bias or racism or prejudice still exists, of course it does,” Riley said in a recent interview with “Power Players.” “The question is: Is that an all-purpose explanation for what ails the black community?”

Riley, a conservative commentator and FOX News contributor, cited a statistic showing that blacks are responsible for a disproportionate amount of violent crime in the U.S. relative to the group’s population size, arguing that, “until that changes, you're going to have tensions between the black community and the police department.”

The book’s release comes as Republicans and Democrats are already engaged in a heated philosophical and policy debate headed into the 2014 midterm elections.

Riley, who is black, is no stranger to racial profiling, and discusses his own experience being profiled by police as a young man – something he said is a common experience shared among most black men his age. But he adds, “It’s not that hard to avoid getting shot by a cop.

“They pull you over, you answer their questions; you have nothing to hide, you're on your way,” Riley said. “It's much more difficult for young black men to avoid getting shot by other black people.”

Riley makes the case in his book that the black community needs to take greater responsibility to confront the current crime rates and poverty rates rather than rely on the government and blame racism for its woes.

“To the extent that a government program interferes with that necessary black self-development, it's doing more harm than good,” Riley said. “If you're trying to replace a father in the home with a government check … you're not encouraging proper child rearing, proper parenting.”

Riley blamed Civil Rights leaders and the NAACP for making the problem worse.

“I believe the Sharptons, and the Jesse Jacksons and the NAACPs have an entirely different agenda, which is to keep themselves relevant at a time, when as I say, white racism is less and less of a problem in terms of a barrier to black advancement in this society,” Riley said. “But they can't talk about that, because to talk about that makes their agenda less relevant.”

In response to Riley’s criticism, NAACP President and CEO Cornell William Brooks told ABC News that “we are far from reaching racial equality” in the U.S., despite major gains since the Civil Rights Movement.

"Some may seem intent on critiquing social programs – which have yielded significant benefits not just for communities of color but many Americans – and those who advocate for them,” Brooks said in a statement. “But the most important goal, and what the NAACP will not lose sight of -- is dismantling the institutional and structural barriers that created many of our historic and contemporary social and economic challenges, while empowering those marginalized communities to overcome them in order to achieve equality for all.”

For more of the interview with Riley, and to hear about his own experiences being profiled by police as a young man himself, check out this episode of “Power Players.”

Emphasis mine, and holy poo poo. But t's ok guys, it's a black guy saying it so it's not racist.

ninja edit: this new font is killing my eyes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
White republicans have been saying this for decades and none of them were ever called gurus.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hodgepodge posted:

a) Scientific innovation will handle all your concerns
b) We will then proceed to gently caress everything up for profit anyway

Capitalism!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Bearing in mind that despite capitalist fuckups, still less than 2 deaths over the entire history of commercial nuclear power operated by private companies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ponzicar posted:

The N probably stands for the obvious slur.

Neocon?

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > Right Wing Media - It’s not that hard to avoid getting shot by a cop.

“They pull you over, you answer their questions; you have nothing to hide, you're on your way,”

I've heard this somewhere before but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about papers. I forget.

Yeah, this is pretty sickening and gently caress this guy. Just comply and surrender your 4th amendment rights, kiss their rear end, suck their dick and let them search you for no reason and you're fine. What's the problem? Sounds like a free society to me.

What he says (be polite, have nothing to hide) doesn't always work either. I don't want to turn this into an "Ask Me About rear end in a top hat Cops" thread but I got stopped twice within a half hour once for the egregious crime of driving a rental car west to east. I was searched twice. The first time, the cop pulled me over for having "ice on my headlights", drug all my poo poo of the car, wrote me up for it, then allowed me the privilege of putting it all back.

The second cop followed me for about five miles until I finally pulled myself over, asked him what the problem was, showed him my half hour old citation, informed him that the previous cop had already searched the car and yet he made me go through the whole thing all over again.

I used to work the night shift in a print shop that was in a bad part of town and I got pulled over numerous times just going to get my dinner simply because I was driving while white in a bad neighborhood. Once, while parking and re-entering the building, I offered to show the cop my loving time card and introduce him to my co-workers and he actually made me do it. I was lilly white, clean and driving a loving Ford Escort wagon. I can only imagine what it must be like for black people.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Energy production from irregular sources like wind and solar (to name just two) would benefit immensely from a viable storage solution.
We need to be able to store huge amounts of potential energy, much more than the normal battery tech could provide, to release onto the grid during the hours when those irregular sources are not producing energy.

The solution to this problem, from what I've been reading for at least two years now, is large scale chemical-battery storage.

The technology isn't ready, but it's probably not being prioritized either; because it's so easy to just crank up the natural gas/coal plants instead of pioneering storage capability that would keep those plants shut down and stop feeding the fossil fuel behemoth.

I have been extremely alarmed by the accumulation of mercury in our freshwater lakes. Mercury is so persistent and difficult to remove. It's just pouring out of our smokestacks and making its way directly into our fresh water.

Large-scale chemical battery storage is a technology that I think we could really benefit from if we just got serious about it. One big breakthrough, one good investment (who the gently caress am I kidding, we can't even keep our roads and bridges in good repair), and we could eventually rely solely on renewables and stop burning every lb. of fossil fuel we can find.

I admit I am no scientist, but I sincerely doubt this is a problem we can't solve. I think it's much more likely that we aren't solving it for other reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Hydroelectric batteries are 70-90% efficient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity