Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Whizbang posted:

A wizard did it.

:master:

At work, pissing me off: Having a ticketing system that one executive uses but another one refuses to use, so you get to communicate updates to both people for no reason at all. Doubling the work sure is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

It doesn't stay that way. I used to live this kind of schedule for several years, driving between sites and then fixing poo poo.

I agree completely. I was a consultant in the late 90s and while it's fun and games for a little while it gets old after a few months - and after a year you start looking for something else to do.

I wasn't even sad when millennium came around and the company went under. Not having to stare at a road for four hours each day was great, and when I found an office job I was absolutely thrilled.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off again: lovely Java apps that require browser plugins to launch. Oh, you failed to launch? gently caress you: I'll just crash Firefox. gently caress you if you have other tabs open too. Go use Internet Explorer 9. Oh, your company upgraded to Windows 8, and thus can't use Internet Explorer 9? gently caress you. Go back to Firefox. Which I'll crash. Repeatedly. After failing to load.

(Did I mention that I fail to load because I open a new connection for every single data object type, and hang if I don't get an immediate response? gently caress you if you're in south Asia and have a latency with my California data center greater than 300ms.)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off again: lovely Java apps that require browser plugins to launch. Oh, you failed to launch? gently caress you: I'll just crash Firefox. gently caress you if you have other tabs open too. Go use Internet Explorer 9. Oh, your company upgraded to Windows 8, and thus can't use Internet Explorer 9? gently caress you. Go back to Firefox. Which I'll crash. Repeatedly. After failing to load.

(Did I mention that I fail to load because I open a new connection for every single data object type, and hang if I don't get an immediate response? gently caress you if you're in south Asia and have a latency with my California data center greater than 300ms.)

IE enterprise mode. I had that same problem having to support vendors lovely awful sites. Enable enterprise mode in group policy build your site list in an xml file and then go nuts. So far it has worked well for every site that we've needed it to but obviously no guarantees it will work for some of the really awful sites out there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ynglaur posted:

I just installed Netscape 9 because it's a recommended browser by Netgear to use their switch's poo poo web interface. They don't have terminal access.

gently caress.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I honest-to-god didn't realize Netscape still existed. :stare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

I honest-to-god didn't realize Netscape still existed. :stare:

It doesn't, I was just reading the wikipedia page, that's like a 2007-era skin of firefox basically

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My new boss is mad because he asked for a Los Angeles area code number for his new office and I gave him a 424 one. He demanded a 310 one, like anyone in L.A. gives a flying gently caress what someone's work area code is. The best part: his phone is always on Do Not Disturb and he uses the main office number on his business card.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mewse posted:

It doesn't, I was just reading the wikipedia page, that's like a 2007-era skin of firefox basically

Other browser suggestion was Firefox 3.5

Which worked for like an hour. Now it's not working either. gently caress

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

My new boss is mad because he asked for a Los Angeles area code number for his new office and I gave him a 424 one. He demanded a 310 one, like anyone in L.A. gives a flying gently caress what someone's work area code is. The best part: his phone is always on Do Not Disturb and he uses the main office number on his business card.

I thought the only people who cared about this poo poo lived in New York? Well, you won "Petty poo poo of the week" AGAIN.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

God, these people are such a joy to work for.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

How the gently caress do these people not understand why you can't get them stuff like this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I gave him my last 310 DID. :shepicide:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I've never really gotten the whole love some people have for area codes. I've even seen dipshits get tattoos of area codes. Do they not realize that they can change? It makes me chuckle to think of some "gangsta" that lived in Fresno that had 209 tattooed back in the early 90's only to have the area code change to 559 in 1998.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

IE enterprise mode. I had that same problem having to support vendors lovely awful sites. Enable enterprise mode in group policy build your site list in an xml file and then go nuts. So far it has worked well for every site that we've needed it to but obviously no guarantees it will work for some of the really awful sites out there.

I wish it were just a "site". The issue is that the Java app itself is terrible. It's hard-coded to fail if the Java plug-in for the correct JRE is not detected. You have the right JRE, but installed a later JRE for something else? Your Browser Helper Object (BHO) in IE just updated. App detects this, assumes you couldn't possibly have multiple JREs installed, and crashes itself. Post IE9, Internet Explorer won't run Java BHOs from too-early versions, due to known security issues. Firefox will run them, but only if you explicitly allow it to Activate. It even has "Never Activate" set to default, so you have to first go to addons to set it to "Ask to Activate".

Ask me how much fun it is to explain this to business users.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

I thought the only people who cared about this poo poo lived in New York? Well, you won "Petty poo poo of the week" AGAIN.

It was fun in the BBS days. Like your whole area code was a crew.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The fire alarm sensor was misfiring last month causing false alarms. The leasing managers let our execs know the issue was happening and an exec got someone to come out and fix it. It appears that the leasing managers are the only people on the call list for when the alarms go off so that false alarms can be called off. Anybody that has delt with this before understands that each time the fire dept has to come out they charge your company a hefty sum. It appears that we had 12 false alarms before it was fixed that weren't called off and we are being charged 8k by the city.

The CIO comes into our office today to talk to the desktop guy. He very casually tells the desktop guy that he is going to be a contact for the fire dept when we the alarm goes off. I hear this and with him reporting directly to me I figure its a good time to intervene.

:colbert: Umm, I don't think that is going to be a good idea. Verifying if the building is on fire 24/365 is a pretty big responsibility for someone and I don't know that is reasonable within his position or pay grade.
:byodood: Someone is going to have to do it. You IT guys already deal with being available after hours and it makes sense that some of you have this responsibility.

Long story short I convince him to have a meeting with the other execs where we can figure something out that isn't so hasty. We are either going to eat these charges as they happen, contract a security guard company, or work out a deal with the property management. Our desktop guy is not going to get saddled with driving in every time an alarm goes off (which isn't feasable with his driving distance) and sure isn't going to be held accountable when his phone is off.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So my boss asked us (4 programmers) to fill out a SWOT thing, to determine our strengths and weaknesses. He's now pissed because everyone listed a poo poo ton of weaknesses and almost no strengths. Stuff like "not enough communication", "nobody knows the long term plan", "level of code base sucks", "our new product sucks".

I'm pissed because next week we're going to have a lots of meeting to address our "work spirit" and realizing every point addressed will be completely our fault and not his. :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cry a little every time I receive a document with "FINAL v2" in the name.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

This is a major problem where I live, mostly thanks to piss poor communication from OfCom and basically every business out there getting it wrong.

Phone numbers for Cardiff used to be six digits long with a 5 digit area code, 01222 xxxxxx.

Back in the year 2000 this was changed to a 3 digit area code, 029 and an 8 digit phone number. All existing phone numbers got a 20 stuck on the beginning to become 029 20xxxxxx.

Of course, everyone just assumed that the area code for Cardiff had changed to 02920, rather than 029. Every single builders van or whatever will have an 02920 xxxxxx number printed on the side just above their really professional looking hotmail email address and link to a facebook page. Actually dialling the six digit phone number without the 20 prefix doesn't even work.

So here we are 14 years later, and they're issuing 029 21xxxxxx numbers due to all the 20xxxxxx range being used up and people are in uproar because they assume (probably correctly) that potential customers will think they're in some other city and not Cardiff.

The telcos are dealing with this exactly as you'd expect, pay £100 extra to get an 02920 number with your new phone line.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

What happened at this place? A couple years ago, post-Tony, you were so happy and boisterous and vomiting rainbows everywhere.

Did it grow too fast? I've seen lots of places end up in middle manager hell when they grow too quickly and the execs don't know how to handle it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
British telephone numbering is amazingly complex for such a small number of people. Doubly so considering the US, Canada, and 23 other countries share the same numbering plan that's been only minorly changed since 1947, and the most major change was effectively invisible to phone users (allowing the middle digit of area codes to be other than 0 or 1).

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was a consultant I had clients in Manhattan. One told me that some companies would put the wrong zip code on their business cards and stationary because it was important to have a SoHo zip code and they were off by a block.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My boss was supposed to update our job descriptions months ago. She got busy. A couple weeks ago she explained that our new contracts, and raises, were tied to the new job descriptions, so we offered to help out. She nitpicked everything we wrote in a way that left us with no idea what she actually wanted, because she's extremely particular with how she wants things done but completely vague about communicating her preferences beforehand.

Today half an hour before closing she told us that we, individually, have to write a complete and comprehensive list of every task we perform for our all-hands company meeting on Monday.

It's not our job to write our own job descriptions. We were willing to do it anyway but you shot down what we wrote, so we gave up. Now you are panicking and trying to get us to panic as well. You are going to be unhappy with the "task lists" that we pull out of our asses for Monday, but you'll deserve it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sickening posted:

Long story short I convince him to have a meeting with the other execs where we can figure something out that isn't so hasty. We are either going to eat these charges as they happen, contract a security guard company, or work out a deal with the property management. Our desktop guy is not going to get saddled with driving in every time an alarm goes off (which isn't feasable with his driving distance) and sure isn't going to be held accountable when his phone is off.

This seems like something that could use a DVR in the building to provide a remote way to visually inspect things. If nothing else, it'd give you a preliminary "might not be a fire" or "holy gently caress fire call 911 :siren:" look before you actually have to take further action.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The last thing you want is an employee driving to and then entering a building that might be on fire. Get some cheap cameras so that you can verify whether or not there's a fire remotely.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

What happened at this place? A couple years ago, post-Tony, you were so happy and boisterous and vomiting rainbows everywhere.

Did it grow too fast? I've seen lots of places end up in middle manager hell when they grow too quickly and the execs don't know how to handle it.

Short answer: A series of bad bosses (I now have four bosses,) bad corporate culture and over 100% growth since I started. I've been worn down to a nub since the end of last year so it's clear they'll just keep this up until I quit and then probably replace me with 2-3 people. I feel like a problem they want to solve, not a valued member of the team.

I'm the only I.T. person for the whole company (120+ staff spread across three cities, two states) and yet the HQ has an office manager with two assistants. Have to make sure the coffee gets made in the morning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

There is a ton of alternatives that don't require IT at all, because you know, IT has nothing to do with fire or the alarm system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

There is a ton of alternatives that don't require IT at all, because you know, IT has nothing to do with fire or the alarm system.

Yeah seriously. This is one of those situations where a "not our problem" is justified.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sickening posted:

um but a fire alarm is TECHNOLOGY that INFORMS you about a fire in the building god!!!!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Why is it that whenever you ask some people a simple question they throw their hands in the air and declare they don't know anything about computers?
Yesterday while working with a client who was switching their internet provider I asked them if they had been sent a letter which had the details for their new account and what the plan was giving them etc. I got a response of "Argh, I don't understand all this technobabble stuff, just sort it" and then they stormed off.

It wasn't a technical question, it was more of an accounting/management one. The actual thing you should be dealing with as the office manager. Somehow between her and a largely technically illiterate salesperson from the ISP they managed to negotiate a new connection and arrange a switch over before contacting any one in support at either end at the very last minute to just make it work.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lum posted:

Cardiff phones :words:

I used to work for a company that only dealt with Welsh people so naturally we had a lot of customers from Cardiff. I never knew the area code was actually just 029

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Varkk posted:

Why is it that whenever you ask some people a simple question they throw their hands in the air and declare they don't know anything about computers?
Yesterday while working with a client who was switching their internet provider I asked them if they had been sent a letter which had the details for their new account and what the plan was giving them etc. I got a response of "Argh, I don't understand all this technobabble stuff, just sort it" and then they stormed off.

It wasn't a technical question, it was more of an accounting/management one. The actual thing you should be dealing with as the office manager. Somehow between her and a largely technically illiterate salesperson from the ISP they managed to negotiate a new connection and arrange a switch over before contacting any one in support at either end at the very last minute to just make it work.

Turn it around on them - throw your hands up and respond "I don't understand this management and accounting stuff! Just get me an IP and server name, MAC address, DNS, etc!" and then storm off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Turn it around on them - throw your hands up and respond "I don't understand this management and accounting stuff! Just get me an IP and server name, MAC address, DNS, etc!" and then storm off.

Adding this to the bucket list.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Last week, I got sent an email from my manager (different from my supervisor) asking me to help a user--she's the only one trained to do her job and apparently that sucks from a "vacation" and "sick time" (and probably for the company, from a "what happens if she gets hit by a bus") point-of-view. It was forwarded from the CIO (who got an email from a VP) who basically said "do this, I'm cool with whatever needs done" in his email. So I went and asked her what she needed and transferred a couple of links and files and whatnot. She was saying the only software that was really needed was Acrobat. So I went back to manager and told him she needs Acrobat. He said something like "man, I was hoping it wasn't that, it's part of Creative Cloud, that's expensive..." I asked at that point something like "Oh is it? I know photoshop and stuff are that way, but Acrobat too?"

So anyway he says he has to get approval and order a license. They approve, he orders it, I was off from saturday until today. I got an email saying the licenses are in, they sent the user the download instructions, I can finish the install when I get a chance. So I go to install it and I don't have a key and I don't know if she needs to login to creative cloud or what. The CC installer is already on her computer and it says she installed Photoshop and Illustrator 59 days ago. So I email manager asking if there's a key or how to actually do it, then I say she already has PS/Illustrator. He emails back with "I bought a license for Adobe Design. You didn't mention anything about Acrobat" and in the next email says "well that was $500 wasted"

I'm not in trouble (at least nothing mentioned?), that was just an offhand remark by him (although my wife is worried after I told her the story). My supervisor and wife both said "well do you have the email you sent him" and no, I don't, because I did it in person. Lesson learned there at least, either do it all by email or at least send a followup/confirmation email just for rear end-covering purposes.

And (totally unrelated to the above) I just saw a "help desk specialist" job posted on linkedin for the company I work for. I'm not sure if it's a different position from the one I have (it sounds like a "level 2" type job), but the salary listed is the same lovely salary I get as regular help desk. I don't think we're expanding and unless someone's getting fired or otherwise leaving (there's only 5 of us...) it's a new position. I'm going to see if someone can tell me about it tomorrow though. I'd do it if it gets me off the phones more of the time. The phones are hell.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well'p. Literally have no downstream worth using at all to any server further than 500 km from my house. Can someone pass me a good pillow to scream in while I wait hopefully for my ISP to respond to my tech support requests?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kazinsal posted:

Well'p. Literally have no downstream worth using at all to any server further than 500 km from my house. Can someone pass me a good pillow to scream in while I wait hopefully for my ISP to respond to my tech support requests?

Give your techs this

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Once when I asked for a raise, and my boss asked me to justify it (which itself is perfectly reasonable), one of the questions he then asked me was, "where is the money for this raise going to come from? If I give you a raise that means someone else doesn't get one."

:what:

I don't loving know or care where the money for my raise comes from, nor am I at all responsible for managing your budget or anyone else's salary, you disingenuous, manipulative little weasel!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Once when I asked for a raise, and my boss asked me to justify it (which itself is perfectly reasonable), one of the questions he then asked me was, "where is the money for this raise going to come from? If I give you a raise that means someone else doesn't get one."

:what:

I don't loving know or care where the money for my raise comes from, nor am I at all responsible for managing your budget or anyone else's salary, you disingenuous, manipulative little weasel!

"If salary increases are a zero-sum game, that's fine, but it's not my problem. The CHRO and CFO probably own that business process. I'm not hear to discuss other people's value: I'm hear to discuss mine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ynglaur posted:

"If salary increases are a zero-sum game, that's fine, but it's not my problem. The CHRO and CFO probably own that business process. I'm not hear to discuss other people's value: I'm hear to discuss mine."

Yeah I mean I basically brushed it aside in a similar manner. But he wasn't making an argument he believed in, it was a manipulative tactic designed to sidetrack me or make me doubt my own argument. Nothing I said was going to convince him, but being a narcissist it was important to him that I agree with him on some level, so he was throwing all kinds of irrelevant nonsense at me.

He also dug through a file cabinet for a binder full of salary data for the region to show me that I was supposedly making average market rate (again, irrelevant as I pointed out and also reminded him of comments made to him by my colleagues indicating that I was doing well above average work for my level of experience). As well as lamenting my "bare minimum" attitude, which consisted of being in the office for 8 hours per day instead of 10 just because. Again, pointed out the above-average quality of my work, response, "That doesn't matter."

This is the same guy who said, "You don't want to be on the cutting edge, you won't be able to find a job!" when I suggested doing the next project in WPF instead of WinForms (in 2012; so, a somewhat mature technology for a number of years at that point). That line was when I really pinned down what he was all about.