Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone had the problem with the message "An error occurred while loading this content. Please try again later." popping up all the time? Doesn't matter what I'm watching, could be Netflix, could be HBOGO, could be WatchESPN. I'll get the message while in the middle of watching something. If I don't reset the ATV, I'll get the message again after a few minutes, but if I do reset, it might wait until the next day to do it. Either way, its pretty much a daily occurrence now.

All the time. Restarting fixes it for me too. Haven't done a factory restore because I am lazy. It's super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So I don't have either of my ATV2s jail broken and finally realized how much of a waste it was to just be sitting on them, so who wants a jail broken atv2 with xbmc installed? I'll be listing them in the marketplace as soon as I get home today.

E: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633525

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2014

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The two of you with the error, sounds to me like you're out of storage space. It caches the video as you're playing it, you run out of space, and it fails. When you reboot, temp files get deleted, so that's probably what's fixing the problem temporarily.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

G-Prime posted:

The two of you with the error, sounds to me like you're out of storage space. It caches the video as you're playing it, you run out of space, and it fails. When you reboot, temp files get deleted, so that's probably what's fixing the problem temporarily.

What exactly could be taking up the storage space? All I do is watch Netflix and HBOGO. Occasionally an MLB game.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
For me it's Netflix YouTube or plex

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Mahoning posted:

What exactly could be taking up the storage space? All I do is watch Netflix and HBOGO. Occasionally an MLB game.

Could be that one of those apps isn't properly clearing out their own cache as it needs to. Without it jailbroken and access to the actual filesystem, there's no way to really know for sure. Just describing what the behavior sounds like, given that similar circumstances have occurred for me on other UNIX-like OSes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well, I completely restored it last night. We'll see if it continues the behavior or not.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Just as a note for anyone curious, Plex still works as a server under the OS X 10.10 dev preview. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So my home Internet (Comcast) has been cutting out, and I finally noticed the trend: every time I wake my Apple TV, my Internet stops working. I'll boot it up and then my home Internet just stops connecting (for all devices) and the only fix is to reboot the modem and router (netgear brand).

I'm going to be experimenting with just rebooting the router next to see if it's that or the modem (which I just swapped out), but I'm curious if anyone has had this issue before? Once I reboot every thing and reboot the Apple TV it works fine, it's just waking from sleep mode that just knocks out my Internet.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
It's anecdotal, but I used to have a Netgear router that would completely poo poo itself whenever you launched World of Warcraft via wifi. Launch from a wired connection? No problem! Doing literally anything else on wifi? No problem! Launch WoW while on wifi? You've got 30 seconds until it locks up completely and won't respond to anything until you power cycle it.

Flashing firmware and replacing it with a different unit met with the same results each time. Never did figure out what caused it as I decided to go with Linksys instead.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

duffmensch posted:

It's anecdotal, but I used to have a Netgear router that would completely poo poo itself whenever you launched World of Warcraft via wifi. Launch from a wired connection? No problem! Doing literally anything else on wifi? No problem! Launch WoW while on wifi? You've got 30 seconds until it locks up completely and won't respond to anything until you power cycle it.

Flashing firmware and replacing it with a different unit met with the same results each time. Never did figure out what caused it as I decided to go with Linksys instead.

I had that exact thing happen with some mikrotik gear.. never did figure it out myself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone was wondering if/when AirPlay direct would be a thing, apparently it's coming in iOS 8 as p2p AirPlay:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/enterprise/

quote:

Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback.

With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you’re offline or the organization has a complex network.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anecdotal so far, but I bought an AirPort Extreme and it seems to have alleviated the problem with the "Error occurred while loading this content" message that I would get daily. Haven't seen it one time since I set it up on Thursday. Let's hope that fixed it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I apologize if anything like this has ever come up before, but it's a long thread.

Anyone have any experience with subtitle problems for movies purchased in iTunes and played on the Apple TV? I have an ATV 3, and it appears subtitles are an all or nothing deal. Not just when you get to non-English parts in the movie where I know subtitles originally were in the movie. For example, I'm watching Ocean's 13, and when Casey Affleck goes out of the country to mess with the dice manufacturing plant, I know there should be subtitles for this section. There was in the theater, there are on the DVD, and there are when it's on TV. I know this because I know what he's supposed to be saying for these parts, and I don't speak Spanish. But all I'm getting is Spanish, no English subtitles. I bring up the menu for subtitles, and Auto is selected. If I select English (CC), subtitles are added to the entire movie, including the English language scenes.

Is there any way to have subtitles enabled like they are on the DVD or cable versions? Or is iTunes just not setup that way. If not, that is, to me, a huge problem for the Apple TV over BluRay and such. Or am I just missing something obvious?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

japtor posted:

If anyone was wondering if/when AirPlay direct would be a thing, apparently it's coming in iOS 8 as p2p AirPlay:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/enterprise/

Oh, this is cool. Will be nice for AirPlay'ing stuff at work or when folks come over to my apartment.

FWIW, a lot of my 'error occurred while loading content' has gone away after the most recent update.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Is there any way to have subtitles enabled like they are on the DVD or cable versions? Or is iTunes just not setup that way. If not, that is, to me, a huge problem for the Apple TV over BluRay and such. Or am I just missing something obvious?

I had a similar problem with Netflix and an episode of Orange is the New Black - no subtitles for the Spanish dialog. I turned on English subtitles and it displayed subtitles for everything, but once I turned that off I was getting subtitles for just the Spanish dialog. So maybe turn on English subtitles and then immediately turn them off? I haven't messed with it to see if it consistently works though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

movax posted:

Oh, this is cool. Will be nice for AirPlay'ing stuff at work or when folks come over to my apartment.

One step closer to my dream: a keychain sized hdmi dongle that just does one thing - allows you to airplay to it without connecting to a network. Similar to a chromecast, I guess, but Apple.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

OldSenileGuy posted:

One step closer to my dream: a keychain sized hdmi dongle that just does one thing - allows you to airplay to it without connecting to a network. Similar to a chromecast, I guess, but Apple.

There's no need once the bluetooth 4 stuff is enabled. In the next iOS you'll be able to just tap someone's appleTV with your phone and connect to it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's no need once the bluetooth 4 stuff is enabled. In the next iOS you'll be able to just tap someone's appleTV with your phone and connect to it.

Yeah, but I'm thinking more for cases where the friend or place I'm at doesn't have an AppleTV. It would be nice to have some kind of HDMI dongle that's small enough that I can keep it on me at all times, and allows me to Airplay my media from my phone to any TV with an open HDMI slot. Not sure about the feasibility of that though. Can an HDMI slot provide power, for example?

Also, this might be better for the general HTPC thread, but I'll try here first.

My setup consists of an AppleTV which connects to a headless Mac Mini that has all my media on it in iTunes. The AppleTV is routed through my Pioneer receiver to my TV. I always thought one of the advantages to this setup was that if I ever wanted to add another "TV" to my house, it would be as easy as buying another AppleTV.

Well I'm trying to do that now and I suspect it's not that easy. I was looking to add a 24" monitor and a cheap pair of PC speakers to my bedroom, but then I had a realization. A large portion of my media is encoded with only a Dolby 5.1 AC3 track for the audio. This works fine in my living room where I have the receiver, but I suspect it won't work as well in the bedroom. I've looked around for some Optical audio -> analog audio converters. I've found some, but they seem to only convert (or decode, whatever) the 5.1 optical signal to 5.1 analog. I would need something that converts the 5.1 AC3 optical audio signal to 2-channel analog audio.

Does something like that exist for relatively cheap, or am I stuck having to add a receiver into any room I want to add another AppleTV to? Or re-encoding all my media to add a supplementary 2 channel track to them, but I'd really rather not do that.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 3, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Get a tv with speakers instead of trying to use a computer monitor as a TV. You'll probably spend less with just a TV instead. Any TV speakers should be just as loud or louder than some cheap PC speakers and it'll take care of the audio through the HDMI line.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is it safe to assume that a TV will have a built in decoder to be able to play the AC3 audio? I haven't used a tv as anything besides a monitor for years.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I just used one of these at a clients house. It's cheap and it worked. Not exactly what you asked for but you would feed HDMI from the apple tv into it and then it spits out hdmi (to the monitor) and analog audio (to your speakers with volume control).

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E/ref=sr_1_2

For your second question -> The TV should tell the Apple TV that it's only a 2 channel device and the Apple TV should send 2 channel audio to it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah it's a seamless experience. Just plug in HDMI and it'll take care of the rest.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So Netflix auto-plays the next episode of a TV show now, like on other devices. When did this start?? Not sure if I actually want to use this feature, but I know a lot of people wanted to see it on Apple TV so that's cool. Is there a way to turn it off? Didn't see any options for it in the Netflix app itself.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Minidust posted:

So Netflix auto-plays the next episode of a TV show now, like on other devices. When did this start??
Today.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Minidust posted:

So Netflix auto-plays the next episode of a TV show now, like on other devices. When did this start?? Not sure if I actually want to use this feature, but I know a lot of people wanted to see it on Apple TV so that's cool. Is there a way to turn it off? Didn't see any options for it in the Netflix app itself.
It's a setting on the website.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012

Minidust posted:

I thought i was going crazy last night when it jumped to the next episode? Thank you for giving me back some of my sanity.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is the reason it doesn't start on some shows just because they haven't gotten around to adding the credits cues/markers in their library for those shows? It works fine for me on say, Star Trek, but didn't work on Orange is the New Black, which seems odd.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife-to-be has her own Apple TV, so we're gonna end up with one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Is there any way to make both of our stuff show up under "Computers"? Or is there basically gonna be a "his" and "hers" ATV in this scenario?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Minidust posted:

It's been doing that for me for awhile now...I'm utterly powerless against it. "Oh, I have work in the morning, I should probably go to bed, not watch the next on--, oh, it started." :frogbon:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

My wife-to-be has her own Apple TV, so we're gonna end up with one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Is there any way to make both of our stuff show up under "Computers"? Or is there basically gonna be a "his" and "hers" ATV in this scenario?

As long as both computers are set up for Home Sharing under the same account (which can be different from your store account) they'll both show up under "Computers" on the Apple TV.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's why it says Computers instead of Computer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be so, so Apple to have it just say "computer" if only one computer was detected on the LAN.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone still have an ATV 1 that would be willing to image the boot and EFI partitions so I can rebuild one? The HDD died completely in my dad's, and he doesn't want to just upgrade to a new version since he likes storing stuff directly on it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

thegreatcodfish posted:

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone still have an ATV 1 that would be willing to image the boot and EFI partitions so I can rebuild one? The HDD died completely in my dad's, and he doesn't want to just upgrade to a new version since he likes storing stuff directly on it.

You should be able to do it from http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Restoring_the_Apple_OS

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Ah, saw that but for some reason thought that it wouldn't work on a brand new drive. I'll give that a shot then. Thanks.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

thegreatcodfish posted:

Ah, saw that but for some reason thought that it wouldn't work on a brand new drive. I'll give that a shot then. Thanks.

You know what, I'm sorry, I don't think it actually will. Just goes to show how long it's been since I've messed with that. I can see if mine at home still has them when I get off work. Not sure if they get wiped when you install OpenELEC or not.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Anybody having issues with HBO not being able to fast forward? Sometimes it'll work, but most of the time I'm stuck with just 2x forward (you'd think it was a buffering issue, but I'm wired). It wouldn't be so annoying except for the fact that it also doesn't remember where I am in a movie if I watched it via another device. Having a show start at 0:00 and knowing you've got to get to 30:00 kinda sucks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
For what it's worth, the new update to iOS for Apple TV does not break Plex.

• Locked thread