Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
While we're talking about Hank, was Waid the first one to write him explicitly with Bipolar Disorder? I...actually really appreciated that, and the whole character just sort of clicked for me at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dreqqus posted:

While we're talking about Hank, was Waid the first one to write him explicitly with Bipolar Disorder? I...actually really appreciated that, and the whole character just sort of clicked for me at that point.

When was this?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

notthegoatseguy posted:

When was this?

Pretty sure it was Avengers AI. Interesting idea, but a bit late on the "everyone must redeem Pym" train and sure to be forgotten.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wolpertinger posted:

Uh, apparently I touched on a sore subject or something here, and I haven't read Avengers Arena but from the 20?ish issues I read, Academy seemed to focus mostly on a few specific characters from what I've read it seems like a good number of the main cast proceeded to move on into Arena, where they are either killed or turned into traumatized wrecks with PTSD which just seems kinda tasteless all around for a sequel what was a pretty light story. It's like writing a sequel to a children's book where all the main characters are forced to kill each other.
Plus, I'm the kind of person that hates reading/watching something that I know's gunna have a miserable lovely unhappy ending, and that's what I meant by ruining it retroactively for me.
It's a sore subject mainly because I don't even like Avengers Arena/Undercover that much, but I am baffled at the sort of kneejerk bile-filled hatred it engenders and how people regard Dennis Hopeless (get it? Hopeless? Ha ha if you don't get it don't worry five more people will make the joke) as the worst writer in the world, in a community where people openly profess to love much shittier books by shittier writers.

I admit that you're a different case I guess in the sense that you're reading Avengers Academy right now and saying it feels like a lighthearted childrens' book, and I haven't read it since it came out, but the entire plot of the book is that the Avengers are recruiting a bunch of messed up kids they are concerned will turn out to be supervillains. That's the elevator pitch, day one. Over the course of the book characters actually DO go evil, we see alternate timelines where they are villainous scumbags, several characters choose to start murdering people, they fight in a couple of wars, a few people die. It's a book with an ultimately hopeful message, but it's still a book about messed up kids and how everyone worries they're going to become villains.

So putting them in a series of books where they might be forced to kill and contemplate turning evil doesn't strike me as some sort of fundamental violation of their core concept. I get it if you're sad that one of them dies or you feel like the book isn't very well written or whatever. But I can't understand why people treat it as the most horrible comic ever published in a world where Nick Spencer, Ales Kot, Gail Simone, Daniel Way, Dan Slott, Jeph Loeb, Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, and a dozen other writers with worse track records than Hopeless continue to get regular work.

It's not even a very successful book and anyone who wants to can politely ignore it the next time they want to pretend no one ever changes and have Hazmat in a Hazmat suit wishing she could butterfly kiss Mettle.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I recall he also did that thing where he just hosed with, taunted and raged on people who complained about the quality of the writing; on his twitter or some such. Arguing with your fans is not a great idea. He had some good will as well because his run on Cable and X-Force showed he was competent but trying to defend what is a lovely premise to tie into a major movie at the cost of killing characters for no reason with a terrible main villian was doomed from the start and instead of even towing the company line or throwing the job under the bus he got incredbly defensive and acted like his poo poo was gold.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

Ales Kot,and Scott Snyder with worse track records than Hopeless continue to get regular work.

What have they written that is worse than Avengers Arena?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Gawd, Avengers Arena was awful.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I recall he also did that thing where he just hosed with, taunted and raged on people who complained about the quality of the writing; on his twitter or some such. Arguing with your fans is not a great idea. He had some good will as well because his run on Cable and X-Force showed he was competent but trying to defend what is a lovely premise to tie into a major movie at the cost of killing characters for no reason with a terrible main villian was doomed from the start and instead of even towing the company line or throwing the job under the bus he got incredbly defensive and acted like his poo poo was gold.
I honestly don't remember any of that, I remember him saying that it wasn't his idea but he was happy with how it turned out but again, short of killing himself while skywriting I'M THE BIGGEST PIECE OF poo poo EVER across the entire sky would be considered 'taunting' the fans and 'thinking his poo poo doesn't stink' and 'writing a big gently caress you to the fans'.

bobkatt013 posted:

What have they written that is worse than Avengers Arena?
Death of the Family, really 90% of Snyder's Batman run is really dumb and mean-spirited and doesn't make a lot of sense. As for Ales Kot, literally anything he's ever written, but for sake of brevity Secret Avengers and Wild Children.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless you are Dennis Hopeless this is the weirdest loving thing to be obsessed over.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Unless you are Dennis Hopeless this is the weirdest loving thing to be obsessed over.
I'm not, and the fact that I'm bothered that Matt Fraction hosed up Harold H Harold is a way weirder thing to be upset about, but people don't constantly circlejerk about that so it bothers me less. I don't even care about people hating it, I just think it's silly how hyperbolic they get. I hate Scott Snyder's Batman but I don't butt into unrelated conversations to go HE PUNCHED OUT A SECRET OWL TOOTH WHAT KIND OF GODLESS PIECE OF poo poo ALLOWS THIS MAN TO LIVE UGH HE'S RUINED NIGHTWING FROM NOW UNTIL THE SUN GOES OUT.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never read Arena or Undercover but I read his Cable and X-Force and loved it. So he's alright in my book.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Edge & Christian posted:

I honestly don't remember any of that, I remember him saying that it wasn't his idea but he was happy with how it turned out but again, short of killing himself while skywriting I'M THE BIGGEST PIECE OF poo poo EVER across the entire sky would be considered 'taunting' the fans and 'thinking his poo poo doesn't stink' and 'writing a big gently caress you to the fans'.

I could be wrong and maybe someone has a better memory than me(of better twitter-fu) but I seem to recall he basically went off about how he was "telling a story and gently caress your favorite characters or their characterization". Again I read Avengers Arena, it wasn't great but a lot of these guys just need to block fans on Twitter or make a fanpage account where they don't interact beyond "hey believers, here's another one of my comics!". Bendis is another good example of this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I could be wrong and maybe someone has a better memory than me(of better twitter-fu) but I seem to recall he basically went off about how he was "telling a story and gently caress your favorite characters or their characterization". Again I read Avengers Arena, it wasn't great but a lot of these guys just need to block fans on Twitter or make a fanpage account where they don't interact beyond "hey believers, here's another one of my comics!". Bendis is another good example of this.

Do you mean Bendis is an example of someone who just has a fanpage and blocks people? I am pretty sure Slott is an example of someone who will search you down if you insult him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you mean Bendis is an example of someone who just has a fanpage and blocks people? I am pretty sure Slott is an example of someone who will search you down if you insult him.

Sure, Slott is a good example of someone who doesn't deal with criticism well. Bendis blocks detractors and then jokes about his lovely writing in interviews.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Bendis is one of my least favorite writers to have ever received work, but I've always thought he had a pretty cool personality.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I went back and read all six pages of the Avengers Arena thread on here and considering it's 90% people saying that they hate the book and hate Hopeless and gently caress this book and gently caress this writing and gently caress this writer and gently caress this gay earth the only time anyone mentions Hopeless (outside of calling him a hack and a charlatan and a morally compromised person who did a decent Cable but gently caress HIM) is Onmi saying "Yes so the sequel to the editorially mandated shitpile must be AMAZING, especially when the writer has been completely flipping the gently caress out on anyone who happens to dislike this book."

This is posted on October 12, 2013 right after someone links to an interview with him, which is the most milquetoast "I hope people will give this book a shot, I was uneasy about how I would handle the tone of Arena but I think I did okay" PR piece in the world. But if someone really wants to track down Hopeless "flipping the gently caress out" I guess it happened some time before October 12, 2013, assuming it happened?

I did find his 'wrap up' interview about the project from a little bit after, which I guess is him addressing things:

quote:

Arena was a challenging project from the very beginning. Like I said in that letter to fans, it's not a concept I would have pitched on my own. I was hesitant to write a story based on such a dark concept using fan favorite characters I've loved for years. But the result was a book that really tested me as a writer and brought out some of the deepest character work I've ever done. It really has been the highlight of my career.

It was also a crazy trial by fire when it came to dealing with passionate Marvel fans. We had some very angry folks following us and yelling from the time the book was announced through issue #18.

Oh wait towards the end of the livechat thing he does say "I really expected more "Why are you so dumb?" and "Why do you like murdering children?" questions by now."

That's literally the shittiest thing I can find him saying about 'the fans', which is incredibly reserved in comparison to say, 'the fans'.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

I went back and read all six pages of the Avengers Arena thread on here and considering it's 90% people saying that they hate the book and hate Hopeless and gently caress this book and gently caress this writing and gently caress this writer and gently caress this gay earth the only time anyone mentions Hopeless (outside of calling him a hack and a charlatan and a morally compromised person who did a decent Cable but gently caress HIM) is Onmi saying "Yes so the sequel to the editorially mandated shitpile must be AMAZING, especially when the writer has been completely flipping the gently caress out on anyone who happens to dislike this book."

This is posted on October 12, 2013 right after someone links to an interview with him, which is the most milquetoast "I hope people will give this book a shot, I was uneasy about how I would handle the tone of Arena but I think I did okay" PR piece in the world. But if someone really wants to track down Hopeless "flipping the gently caress out" I guess it happened some time before October 12, 2013, assuming it happened?

I did find his 'wrap up' interview about the project from a little bit after, which I guess is him addressing things:

Oh wait towards the end of the livechat thing he does say "I really expected more "Why are you so dumb?" and "Why do you like murdering children?" questions by now."

That's literally the shittiest thing I can find him saying about 'the fans', which is incredibly reserved in comparison to say, 'the fans'.

Again, my memory could be off, the tweets could have been deleted(although I would think that people would have reported that) but I have a strong memory of him, not "flipping the gently caress out", but not handling criticism in a very professional manner, I searched his twitter for stuff with the #avengersarena and didn't come up with anything but I also didn't google search or search any other comic forums. It's not really worth the energy because...

I think at the end of the day you're right. There's a lot of hyperbole tossed around and particularly at that time people were really pissed off about the whole ordeal. Avengers Academy had just ended and was really well liked, not Runaways level(which also pissed people off) but it had a lot of goodwill and strong feelings for those characters. To see them tossed into a throw away comic that was being marketed to appeal to a new generation simply by the virtue of being similar to another popular franchise, with the promise that some of those characters would die was a big slap in the face to the fans. Could Hopeless have done better in the position? Yes. Would people still have hated him? Yes. There was no way around that. The dude was put in a position where he had to shoot your family's old young dog in the head.

So there you go. You're right, he's not an evil monster nor the worst writer ever.

...and to be honest I'd rather reread Avengers Arena than reread Bendis' X-Men.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 16, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^^ I think part of the crap of Bendis' X-Men is many of us know he can be a better writer. Even though his Bendis-isms are in much of his early work with Marvel it is still pretty good stuff. In contrast, I was never thinking "Man, I expected better from Hopeless who wrote a great series of whatever" because...well, he hasn't written a good series as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe Hopeless is some great, incredibly talented writer that was steering a destined to be sinking ship. I just scanned through his Marvel credits and nothing struck me as anything good. Maybe not offensively bad like Arena was at times, but nothing I'd want to spend money on (I recognize Cable and the X-Force is something most people here disagree with me on).

But I read that one issue of AA penned by Gage and it was pretty good. Of course it also treated the "adult" superheroes as not bumbling idiots. That Hopeless isn't a literal monster really doesn't change anything. Avengers Arena is still a garbage series. I'll take others at their word that Hopeless' grasp of Zemo is good characterization but that really doesn't make up for the rest of the series.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
TRO: You know it's the future because everyone has different haircuts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love how Hickman plays with all these new characters but it's obvious who his favorite team is. Susan's helmet looks awfully similar to Ultimate Reed's. Oh, and Cho and Pym are illuminati now? Neat-o. .

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Thorperion is my OTP.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Hyperion was giving me some serious Kingdom Come Superman vibes. Visually at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I find it weird that Marvel is putting out both .1 issues and Annuals despite them often fitting the same one-off story by a different writer niche.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are a lot of questions I have about this book (Avengers 35) that can't be answered for a while obviously. But there's one I'm going to ask here anyway. When Star Brand was talking with Nightmask about The Bleed. Isn't that a DC thing? I don't recall anything like that in Marvel but it's quite obvious I've missed something along the way. Or was it a New Universe thing they're bringing up?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
This was a pretty cool issue, and I can't wait for more. But I really like the new shield costumes, even though they're mainly just black versions of their old ones. Carols costume looks rad.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

There are a lot of questions I have about this book (Avengers 35) that can't be answered for a while obviously. But there's one I'm going to ask here anyway. When Star Brand was talking with Nightmask about The Bleed. Isn't that a DC thing? I don't recall anything like that in Marvel but it's quite obvious I've missed something along the way. Or was it a New Universe thing they're bringing up?

I think they are talking about the stuff inbetween universes that was shown deteriorating at the beginning of Infinity or early in Avengers or something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

I think they are talking about the stuff inbetween universes that was shown deteriorating at the beginning of Infinity or early in Avengers or something.

Avengers #9 I think is where we see the super flow. It wasn't referred as the Bleed, though.

Leper Residue posted:

Carols costume looks rad.

Susan's looking really. And incredibly pissed. Which is really I need to know to know the Illuminati are hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 17, 2014

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Rereading it and Sue is super brutal. She rips the Illuminati beacon right out of Cho's palm with a force field.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love a good (short) time jump. Nothing like a good "ooo! How did things get this hosed?" to kick your day off. Love the additions to the Illuminati and can not wait for the next issue.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't understand why people treat it as the most horrible comic ever published in a world where Ales Kot continue to get regular work.
drat, does Kot suck? I just put his new Winter Soldier book on my pull list. :(

Really liked Avengers #35, when a time-jump like this is done well it can be a pretty great hook. Bradshaw kinda bothers me though because everyone looks like a teenager. It'll be interesting to see if/how events from the gap get revealed.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

tragedyjones posted:

Rereading it and Sue is super brutal. She rips the Illuminati beacon right out of Cho's palm with a force field.

Whoa, I didn't realize that was what was happening at first. That is a serious chunk of flesh she rips out too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadpool posted:

Weirdly Warren Ellis stuck that poo poo in I think New Universe, as he came up with the idea of The Bleed in Stormwatch.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Leper Residue posted:

Whoa, I didn't realize that was what was happening at first. That is a serious chunk of flesh she rips out too.

Jesus, I didn't get that either. Angry Sue is scary.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Jesus, I didn't get that either. Angry Sue is scary.

This has been the case forever. Don't ever piss off Sue Richards. She will ruin you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It is kind of amazing the parallels that Avengers and Multiversity seem to make towards each other on the same day. It's almost like they planned it.

e: This has a completely baiting headline, but the third and fourth pictures are the examples. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09...iversity-today/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 18, 2014

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if we'll see Medusa and Meggan also side with Sue against their husbands.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I love how the recap page lists how the theme of the Avenger's (apart from being life) was about dealing with problems through expansion and diversity and working as a group to overcome problems.

While the Illumaniti's method of dealing with problems is secrecy and trusting a group of Elites to do everything, and don't you dare question them.

One minor question. This issue of Avenger's is supposed to be set 8 months in the future, fine. That's why Starbrand and Nightmask are out in space (and Nightmask is reverse aging.) cool. That's why Hyperion has a beard and working alongside AIM. Fine, I get all that. Going into the future that is WEIRD is a comic thing. (And brilliantly it allows Hickman to finish his story while sidestepping Axis, cool.)

But how come Cannonball and Smasher can marry, move off world and she can get knocked up and have a baby all in 8 months?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Question IRL posted:

But how come Cannonball and Smasher can marry, move off world and she can get knocked up and have a baby all in 8 months?

Maybe they got married because of the baby.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

I love how the recap page lists how the theme of the Avenger's (apart from being life) was about dealing with problems through expansion and diversity and working as a group to overcome problems.

While the Illumaniti's method of dealing with problems is secrecy and trusting a group of Elites to do everything, and don't you dare question them.

One minor question. This issue of Avenger's is supposed to be set 8 months in the future, fine. That's why Starbrand and Nightmask are out in space (and Nightmask is reverse aging.) cool. That's why Hyperion has a beard and working alongside AIM. Fine, I get all that. Going into the future that is WEIRD is a comic thing. (And brilliantly it allows Hickman to finish his story while sidestepping Axis, cool.)

I'm pretty sure it was implied during Infinity (I think) that the two were in a relationship.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It is kind of amazing the parallels that Avengers and Multiversity seem to make towards each other on the same day. It's almost like they planned it.

e: This has a completely baiting headline, but the third and fourth pictures are the examples. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09...iversity-today/

This gets me giddy with fanboy optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

I'm pretty sure it was implied during Infinity (I think) that the two were in a relationship.

This gets me giddy with fanboy optimism.

It was not implied it was outright stated, and with Bobby being jealous.

• Locked thread