Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Joementum posted:

please don't boozeshame

I have a conference to attend tomorrow so won't be drinking tonight :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My goal has been booze only fri sat sun. It's a slog.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Alcohol destroys lives, goons.

All joking aside, here's kind of an amazing example of this topic: an interview with Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole on "Hamlet." What's amazing to me is how incredibly eloquent and intelligent the O'Toole of 1963 is in speaking about Shakespeare. Compare this with some of his later interviews, after decades of alcohol abuse. Obviously addiction slowed him down somewhere in there. A shame, because he's easily one of my top three favorite actors.:smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

My goal has been booze only fri sat sun. It's a slog.

My goal is booze only in service of an objective. It works fairly well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, why do people smoke weed or go running? Why bother?

its fun. If you find fun in a way with less damage to your liver, good for you. If you don't, well, I hope its at least union made or a good beer. gently caress lovely beer.

Not even runners describe running as "fun."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Majorian posted:

All joking aside, here's kind of an amazing example of this topic: an interview with Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole on "Hamlet." What's amazing to me is how incredibly eloquent and intelligent the O'Toole of 1963 is in speaking about Shakespeare. Then you hear some of his later interviews, after decades of booze. Obviously addiction slowed him down somewhere in there. A shame, because he's easily one of my top three favorite actors.:smith:

Word. O'Toole had incredible range even after going down hill.

Thanatosian posted:

I get runner's high like you wouldn't believe, and a good race with the right atmosphere (the Utica Boilermaker is a good example of this) is fun as hell. Plus you get free beer at the end of that one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

Isn't drinking, like, the whole point of conferences?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Berke Negri posted:

Are you a bright-eyed graduate student with hope in his heart? Because that is about the only demographic of conference going people who wouldn't drink before them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thanatosian posted:

Its not just the runner's high. Its the fitness which comes with. It can be quite fun to know when you're getting complimentary looks.

E

Randler posted:

Are you a bright-eyed graduate student with hope in his heart? Because that is about the only demographic of conference going people who wouldn't drink before them.

If you're conference hopping without a dedicated drinking group before, during, and post, you're not conference hopping in stylr

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Word. O'Toole had incredible range even after going down hill.

My dad only saw "The Lion in Winter" decades ago and then tried to tell me it's not one of the greatest movies ever made. So close to disowning him.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Trink, trink, Brüderlein, trink, lass doch die Sorgen zu Haus!
Trink, trink, Brüderlein, trink, zieh doch die Stirn nicht so krauss!
Meide den Kummer und meide den Schmerz, dann ist das Leben ein Scherz! (hahaha)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

Trink, trink, Brüderlein, trink, lass doch die Sorgen zu Haus!
Trink, trink, Brüderlein, trink, zieh doch die Stirn nicht so krauss!
Meide den Kummer und meide den Schmerz, dann ist das Leben ein Scherz! (hahaha)

The Hessians are comimg! The Hessians are coming! The drunken Hessians are on the march!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I only use the wicked adjective in reference to getting so drunk you piss yourself.

My guilty shame is I rarely get drunk much anymore. I still love getting drunk but I need to continue to lose weight.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Randler posted:

Last conference I went to, a colleague and I only went to the first evening's events as there were free drinks, and we thought it possible we could lift a bottle or two of wine to take back to our hotel. We were successful in that as well.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I only use the wicked adjective in reference to getting so drunk you piss yourself.

My guilty shame is I rarely get drunk much anymore. I still love getting drunk but I need to continue to lose weight.

That's a wicked shame, kid.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

switch to heavy liquor, maybe?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
personally i wouldn't mind living in a place where it's perpetually between 5C and 20C

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
R. Mute: As you've been drinking, given the context of the Hamlet talk posted, whats your take on Hamlet?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
some dumb opinions about apples in this thread.

Macouns best apple, only apple.

I guess macintosh in a pinch

we can all agree red delicious so dumb they had to give it the greenland treatment to make anyone even go there

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'll admit, i've probably never seen hamlet performed in its entirety. so... rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead was better than hamlet itself. probably.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

switch to heavy liquor, maybe?

Na I become lord of the piles after a night of heavy drinking and don't do anything all day.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm listening to a richard pryor album for the first time and is eddie murphy basically a carbon copy of pryor? it's the same jokes, the same voices, the same everything. drat, eddie.

e: i mean i knew this, but i didn't know it was this blatant

e: they even have the same white people voice

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

i'm listening to a richard pryor album for the first time and is eddie murphy basically a carbon copy of pryor? it's the same jokes, the same voices, the same everything. drat, eddie.

e: i mean i knew this, but i didn't know it was this blatant

e: they even have the same white people voice

You could almost say that Richard was pryor to Murphy.

ETA: My opinion on the Scotland independence thing is basically that it's not a good idea, but I'll respect whatever the Scots decide to do and hope to visit there some day regardless.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You could almost say that Richard was pryor to Murphy.
it's not a good day for comedy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My opinion on the Scotland independence thing is basically that it's not a good idea

My guess is that, if they go through with it, most of the issues that the "No" side is raising will be resolved within a couple of years.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

My guess is that, if they go through with it, most of the issues that the "No" side is raising will be resolved within a couple of years.

My guess is, it'll go through. Its only a matter of time. Once the idea of nation is unleashed, one must either destroy it in the next generation and outwait the current one, eliminate it by addressing the root causes which it exploits, grant it, or eliminate the % of population maintaining the ideal above 14 in order to prevent the continued spread of the ideal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I love that it's an issue whether people are allowed to bagpipe outside of polling places tomorrow.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I don't think that it's not going to be a viable country. I just don't think it's going to be better off than pressuring Westminster to devolve England and turn the whole thing full federal.

Joementum posted:

I love that it's an issue whether people are allowed to bagpipe outside of polling places tomorrow.

When in doubt, err on the side of bagpipes. :scotland:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've noticed that most triathletes hate swimming but love running, I'm the opposite, put me in the water any day.

Then again I used to row so by that very fact my opinions about exercise should be invalid.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 18, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

ETA: My opinion on the Scotland independence thing is basically that it's not a good idea, but I'll respect whatever the Scots decide to do and hope to visit there some day regardless.
I don't really know that making a change of the enormity that independence would involve is really something that should be decided by a 50%+1 vote on one particular day.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I don't really know that making a change of the enormity that independence would involve is really something that should be decided by a 50%+1 vote on one particular day.
then who should make that decision?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

The Queen

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

R. Mute posted:

I'm not saying that they don't have a right to self-determination, just that it probably shouldn't be decided by a single vote of a simple majority.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not saying that they don't have a right to self-determination, just that it probably shouldn't be decided by a single vote of a simple majority.
yeah but what would you prefer then?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, a military decision would be best here, especially considering which side has all the nukes :getin:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
See: The Québec referendum of '95.

No matter how much the séparatiste leaders kept on saying they had everything figured out, they were honestly still flying by the seats of their pants, and had no real plans or ideas for how to move forward the day after a "yes" vote happened.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Thanatosian posted:

It probably is preferable compared to the historical standard of protracted applications of violence.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Fact: drinking is fun

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

See: The Québec referendum of '95.

No matter how much the séparatiste leaders kept on saying they had everything figured out, they were honestly still flying by the seats of their pants, and had no real plans or ideas for how to move forward the day after a "yes" vote happened.
why is that a problem? 99% of political decisions are improvisation/short-term solutions anyway, why should they be the exception?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

why is that a problem? 99% of political decisions are improvisation/short-term solutions anyway, why should they be the exception?

Yes, I wonder, in the history of Belgium, what example there could be for an improvised/short-term solution of granting independence with no gameplan for the next day or three after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, I wonder, in the history of Belgium, what example there could be for an improvised/short-term solution of granting independence with no gameplan for the next day or three after.

But I thought R. Mute said that this was resolved by the layers of redundancy of their political system, allowing progress even under gridlock. Seems superior to our system where gridlock can bring essential parts of the economy to a halt.

• Locked thread