Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Installed OGSE. Crashes on start up with 'Entry Point Not Found'. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll permanent gently caress my game like misery did.

There's some bin files you need. Ddraig has the link for them and I have no idea whee they are in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
These may possibly be them:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/bin.rar

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put em in the bin folder along with a fresh install of OGSE and it gives me the same error.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If all else fails, wipe your entire ShoC directory, redownload it, and then try again.

Don't forget to change that one ini file from false = true to true=true.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
To save myself some time while on a holiday outside my city, I downloaded CoP on a lovely laptop without noticing the client was set to Spanish.

When I copied over the steamapps folder to my gaming PC (in which I've installed CoP plenty of times, and where the Steam client is in English) I did the usual verification of final files, etc and when I run the game, it was in Spanish. I felt silly, so I deleted everything and reinstalled.
The language is still Spanish. :psyduck:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: gently caress it I went out on a limb and tried arsenal overhaul. It works! No issues! A true miracle! Huge shout out to that author. Now I wonder if there are recruitable companion mods.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 15, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Also the plot of Lost Alpha has got some major, major weird stuff going on. So Sin apparently want me to do their dirty work, yet we have a member of their team that managed to walk straight into the Bar, kill a bunch of people, and was apparently bulletproof. Why don't they send that guy to the labs? I mean, he could probably singlehandedly sort out their problems once and for all.

The story for the game is extremely dumb. Pretty soon you're going to see a scene with that joker from the bar in some kind of Illuminati Deus Ex scene. It explains nothing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have no problem with dumb poo poo in games, it just has to be consistent with its own logic. Feel free to have the most hosed up story imaginable with the most ridiculous characters ever, but for god's sake at least try to think it over slightly and say "Given the very lax rules we do have, is this plausible or does it not make sense?"

There's a stash in the Garbage with the name "gar_field_cache"

It has a dog tail in it, with the comment "OMG ODIES TAIL LOL"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 15, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUCir17eGt8
This guy is making a STALKER inspired mod/conversion for ARMA3, and (I think) works in the industry professionally already. Lots of WIP screenshots at the link.
He's been plugging away at it for a couple years now, so I'm not anticipating anything very soon, but there's obviously commitment and talent at work.

I'm really enamoured with the idea of a properly open world STALKERish game. CoP always felt too cramped and small even at release, but after putting a few hundred hours into it it doesn't hold any suprises at all anymore.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There was that mod that was attempting to make a stalker game with the Cryengine, I believe. Not sure what came of that.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol if you're thinking of breaking the shackles of X-ray

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ddraig posted:

There was that mod that was attempting to make a stalker game with the Cryengine, I believe. Not sure what came of that.
I think that's the one that started off as "CryZone 23" and then eventually morphed into this, but not entirely sure.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Lol if you're thinking of breaking the shackles of X-ray
It'd be nice if, when the CoP source gets leaked, some ambitious modders can implement some much larger maps, and maybe tart up the engine a little wrt A-Life efficiency, micro-stutters, etc. Those would go an awful long way to keeping CoP fresh for anoher few years.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
The crash on save problem ended up being two hosed .dll's in the latest update, just had to replace them with older copies. Cruising along now, the only thing I'm missing is a bigger variety of guns.

What's a good safe storage in Lost Alpha? I can't hold all these limes cans of chow.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

I have no problem with dumb poo poo in games, it just has to be consistent with its own logic. Feel free to have the most hosed up story imaginable with the most ridiculous characters ever, but for god's sake at least try to think it over slightly and say "Given the very lax rules we do have, is this plausible or does it not make sense?"

:laffo:

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

MadBimber posted:

I keep posting this, ain't nobody pay any attention: http://freetexthost.com/q134pzdcl5 . ThaOneDon has a cumulative patcher and a massive sound/model/texture overhaul.

Edit: It's also very stable, I've not seen any bugs or crashes.

No luck here. CTD when starting a new game no matter how many times I reinstall Lost Alpha or reconfigure the SLAM pack. Lost Alpha vanilla works fine though. The Great Wishmaker hates me I guess.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Sparkyhodgo posted:

No luck here. CTD when starting a new game no matter how many times I reinstall Lost Alpha or reconfigure the SLAM pack. Lost Alpha vanilla works fine though. The Great Wishmaker hates me I guess.

quote:

two files in Improvements 4.2 'bin' are causing the problems.

the r3 render crash on exit is fixed by:
delete Improvements 4.2 r3_render dll
install Lost Alpha 1.3003 default r3_render dll.

the save crash is fixed by:
delete Improvements 4.2 xrCore.dll
installing Lost Alpha 1.3003 default xrCore.dll

replacing each file with original resolves crashes, but...
no idea what effect that will have on 'Serious' gameplay/content.

He also posted a hotfix if you want to go that route and will release a slightly larger update soon too.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Misery mod is awesome. Everyone who wants the best stalker experience that's what you get. It nails atmosphere and gameplay, it's god drat miserably awesome.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 16, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Deleted the stalker folder from My Documents? I know Shoc used to create one.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

:lol: I take back anything bad I said about their writing

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

"gar_field_cache"

Oh gently caress, please tell me you've found more ridiculous puns in there.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's a few snarky comments written into the code. The one I found before was a rant about Loxotron in one of the english text files.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does SHoC have the biggest map? I seem to remember it having a bunch of big maps and a bunch of nook and cranny maps.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

Does SHoC have the biggest map? I seem to remember it having a bunch of big maps and a bunch of nook and cranny maps.

Pretty sure that even the largest SoC map doesn't approach the size of any of CoP's maps.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
SoC has the largest game world, Call of Pripyat has the largest individual levels.

I think Lost Alpha has them both beat, anyhow.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Dumb question, but I can't play with Misery on Lost Alpha, right? It's a COP only thing?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I believe there's a graphic pack that makes Lost Alpha look like Misery, but as far as gameplay stuff goes it wouldn't work.

e: Here it is

https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=1AZlMra4q%2FWrbdtetE2Eq2VwTw5G07eoql3Cb%2BDG8h0%3D%3A%2FModification%2FMiseryLA%2F

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 17, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Horns posted:

Pretty sure that even the largest SoC map doesn't approach the size of any of CoP's maps.

The entirety of CoP's maps doesn't come close to SHoC. Even if it does it doesn't have all those cool little pathway maps.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

NeoSeeker posted:

The entirety of CoP's maps doesn't come close to SHoC. Even if it does it doesn't have all those cool little pathway maps.

Not what I was trying to say. SoC obviously has more maps and is certainly bigger overall, but none of its individual maps are as big as CoP's Zaton, Jupiter or Pripyat.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

And yet, maybe it was just me, but the CoP maps still seemed too crowded.

I'm odd in that I like biiiiig areas to explore.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I hated the factory in the second map because I have to walk aaaaall the way to the exit in an exosuit. I really wish there were a secondary exit out the compound closer to the crashed helicopter.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Missing Name posted:

I don't think that's odd at all. Or maybe we're both odd. ;)

I'd kill for a STALKER game that was more of a happy medium between Roadside Picnic and the '79 film. Less straight up gunfights, more weirdness, solitary exploration, creeping dread and big open places to poke around; where every encounter with another living human is an extremely rare and life-or-death event (sort of like what the encounters in I Am Alive tried to be).

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Missing Name posted:

I like big areas as well but there's a lot of unoptimized space in CoP. My biggest complaint with the game is that (AI aside) it's just not very dynamic. The atmosphere is as excellent as always but there's not many leaves to turn over (unlike Morrowind or something) after your third or so playthrough. SoC maintains that illusion pretty well up until the last third of the game, but CoP has always felt a little hollow to me. Don't get me wrong, though, CoP is still one of my favorite games.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Source code to Call of Pripyat has been released/leaked.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I'm very happy about it.

I'll be porting the work I did on CS to COP now, and there are several people interested in joining forces, including K.D. of OGSE (he did all the shaders and graphics).

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

They just need to make a "real" horror game. You know, one of those scenarios where conventional weapons slow them down at best. Like penumbra mixed with dead space.

I agree with roadside picnic guy. I just dunno how it could be cool if you're meant to come well packin but for the most part you're just wandering even more than stalker. They do need some awesome bodily destruction system for the monsters, one more advanced than dead space. Instead of just shooting off pre-programmed chunks you actually pick away with each bullet. It would probably be cool if they had gun mechanics like receiver and you actually had to clean your gun that way.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 18, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Swartz posted:

Source code to Call of Pripyat has been released/leaked.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I'm very happy about it.

I'll be porting the work I did on CS to COP now, and there are several people interested in joining forces, including K.D. of OGSE (he did all the shaders and graphics).

I'm excited about it, keep us all updated bro.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Are there any guns people would like to see in Lost Alpha? It would have to be weapons that there are existing SoC models for as I have next to no knowledge about modelling. I'm seeing if I can backport Alundaio's random loadout scripts to SoC since like all his stuff, it's probably the only part of Misery I actually liked.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Are there any guns people would like to see in Lost Alpha? It would have to be weapons that there are existing SoC models for as I have next to no knowledge about modelling. I'm seeing if I can backport Alundaio's random loadout scripts to SoC since like all his stuff, it's probably the only part of Misery I actually liked.

Does SoC have a Mosin-Nagant?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Saint Sputnik posted:

Does SoC have a Mosin-Nagant?

It does indeed! It has the regular version, and the version with a permanent scope mounted. I've already got the regular version.

I should probably point out that I'm going for as high quality models as possible, so preferably stuff that comes from the Arsenal mod, uses' Kingfriday's animations, or is otherwise a very good model. Right now I've got the following in:

* SKS
* G36c
* Ppsh41
* FNC
* Mosin-Nagant (iron sight version)
* Sig 552
* Saiga12
* AA12 (bit iffy on the model/sound tbh)
* M134 Minigun
* Hunting Bow
* OTs-33 Penarch
* TMP

The mod already uses the very high quality models/animations from the LAMP project that's included with SLAM so I want to maintain that level of quality wherever possible.

One gun I'd loving love, but I've been unable to find entirely, is the Neostead 2000. God, I loved that thing in Bad Company, especially with slug rounds.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the more old Russian surplus in a STALKER game, the better in my opinion.

EDIT: ^^^ That's a great list of additions actually. Maybe any battle rifles? FAL/G3? For that matter, is there a SVT for SoC?

Jehde fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I didn't see one, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, so if it is missing, could we have an FN2k?