Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Fascinating interview and some classic Aphex bullshit about his kids being electronic music prodigies.

Thanks for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

lmao chemtrails

richard pls

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Some previews: http://honestjons.com/shop/artist/Aphex_Twin/release/Syro
edit: offline now

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 17, 2014

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

thathonkey posted:

I think you should really try to hold out. I only have one Aphex Twin on vinyl - SAW vol 2 - but it sounds soooooo choice.

I've got SAW 95-82 and Richard D. James Album, which are pretty much the only way I listen to them, which I say at the risk of sounding like a tool. Holding out is the plan, but that's said from the safety of that still being my only option. I've already listened to the 6 previews, tho....

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Previews are about to go live for all tracks on Bleep: https://bleep.com/release/53848-aphex-twin-syro
edit: they were clickable. But not anymore. Maybe they'll add them again later..

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 17, 2014

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Mutation posted:

They’re already turning into Daddy?
‘So I fear. Actually I’d rather have them not making music. They shouldn’t get the idea that they háve to do what I do. It also isn’t making family life more interesting when everyone is doing the same. But that doesn’t stop them from crawling behind their computers all day – and who am I to stop that? They’re already teaching me new things.

Aphex to the rescue! What do his kids think about their daddy’s return?
‘They know it’s about to happen. They think it’s cool I reckon. In the car they recognize certain tracks. O , yeah, this one! Recently my oldest said to me: Flim, I like that track, how did you make that? Which software did you use? Which synthesizers? I’m going to recreate it! I thought: what a wise nose! He made a brave attempt but he couldn’t figure it out. Ha!’
Somehow I get the impression when he's talking about his "kids" he's really talking about his fans and emulators.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ninja fetus posted:

Previews are about to go live for all tracks on Bleep: https://bleep.com/release/53848-aphex-twin-syro
edit: they were clickable. But not anymore. Maybe they'll add them again later..
They have previews here: http://www.hhv.de/shop/de/artikel/aphex-twin-syro-384249

Skeletron posted:

Somehow I get the impression when he's talking about his "kids" he's really talking about his fans and emulators.
Huh, that could be it.

Especially the "Flim" thing, I wonder if he was taking a jab at Skrillex.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 17, 2014

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
it just leaked apparently

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep it's out there. Good buzz so far.

XMAS_EVET10 is loving godly.

As is Produk 29

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 18, 2014

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
Nice to hear another Avril 14th-esque tune (now with 100% more bird noises)

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It really is.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Should I do it... :ohdear: How's the quality on the leak? (sorry if this is not kosher to even discuss I will edit)

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

thathonkey posted:

Should I do it... :ohdear:

Yes. And buy the FLACs from Bleep.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

I am looking forward to this so much it's ridiculous.

gently caress it. My CD and vinyls have already shipped. I'm powering up my monitors and diving in. 15 minutes to go time.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

It seems to all be on YouTube now too. Not sure for how long.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

holy poo poo CIRCLONT6A

(come on you oval office, let's have some aphex chiptune!)

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 18, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep it's out there. Good buzz so far.

As is Produk 29

I couldn't agree more. I've forgotten I'm listening to Aphex Twin twice now in the best way, only to be reminded. Funky as gently caress, crazy use of timing/swing.

Also, the sound design in CIRCLONT14 is nuts.

This is a very different album, and I'm really happy about that.

renderful fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2014

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

renderful posted:

I couldn't agree more. I've forgotten I'm listening to Aphex Twin twice now in the best way, only to be reminded. Funky as gently caress, crazy use of timing/swing.
This is reminding me a lot of Squarepusher. Places I haven't heard Richard going before, or at least since pre-Analord. Intricate breakbeat and juicy-thick syncopated bass atop jazzy sequences. But SO goddamn funky. Swinging all over the place.

Bit of a lofi thing going on as well. You can really hear the noise from the vintage synths at times, like during the beginning of CIRCLONT14.

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 18, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Syro u473t8+e is so funky that I just sprayed some Glade in this motherfucker

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
What a good album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening for the first time now, on Produk 29 at the moment. My god, Adult Swim is gonna have so much new bump music.

Also, so far I feel like this is gonna be one of those albums that I'll listen to for years and still hear new things every time I listen to it because there's just so much loving substance to these tracks.

e: Jesus Christ, 180db sounds like something you'd dance to as you're getting thrown into Hell.

e2: CIRCLONT6A :staredog: I would kill for an album of more stuff like this.

e3: CIRCLONT14 ruuuuuuuuules too. Jesus, I love this.

e4: Holy hell, Syro u473t8+e is perfect. I'm pretty sure this is my album of the year already.

e5: The drums in PAPAT4 are simply stellar.

e6: Yeah, this album is just unbelievably good through and through. S590tx16wasr10 owned and Aisatsana was a big change of pace but the prettiest ambient piece I've heard all year and also his best piano piece since Avril 14th.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 18, 2014

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Metz track is so unbelievably pretty.
edit: hate to say it but I feel a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting more but some tracks don't really do anything for me. The Circlont's mostly. There's some instant classics on Syro (XMAS_EVET, PAPAT, 180dB_), but some tracks leave me bored. Then again. I had the same feeling when I first listened to Druqks the first couple of times..

Ninja fetus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 18, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just pre-ordered the vinyl and I don't even own a record player, I wanted a physical copy and the CD is likely to get no spins either (none of my main gear has an optical drive in tyool 2014) so why not spend the few extra bucks for a wall piece.

Diving right into this leak. Wasn't too warm on minipops the first time I heard it but in true afx style more and more is revealed with every listen. I read someone once saying that the Richard D James album changed the way he listened to music and it rings true for me as well, that cd was an amazing awakening into the whole universe of information and expression that can be contained in a song, took me past the "here is the chorus yaaaay" superficial listening I had given almost everything prior to the first time 4 blooped out of my little home stereo.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mutation posted:

So there's this big interview on Aphex Twin for a foreign magazine that got translated. Enjoy this wall of text on Syro, fatherhood, living a quieter life, who he thinks the Caustic Window seller was, and more.

I love how much bullshit he talks in interviews, I find it endearing :allears: How many of the stories he tells are actually fabricated? The childhood prodigy who would win programming competitions by achieving impossible things, taking apart and reconstructing a piano just for fun, etc etc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gave it a few listens, the album is loving class.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Would be surprised if anyone on here doesn't already know, but RDJ's Pithfork interview is up, and I think they did a pretty cool job putting it together. He fleshed out his philosophy behind making music a bit more than he's done for his other Syro press stuff.

"Forget all the equipment, forget the music, it's just literally frequencies and their effects on your brain. That's what's everyone's essentially after"

http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/9506-strange-visitor-a-conversation-with-aphex-twin/

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

luncheon meat posted:

What a good album.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
This album is pretty loving good you guys. It's definitively a continuation of Analord and Tuss's analogue sound and expert composition, but perfected.

If this is what contemporary Aphex Twin is these days then I'm more than happy. Here's hoping this is the dawn of new productivity (and Analord Vol. 2. :v:)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 19, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's not reaching the the kind of perverse genius of Windowlicker, 4, or Come To Daddy or the delicacy of the earlier stuff (nor would I expect it to). It's really just a collection of technically solid, wierd techno / dnb workouts from a guy with lots of cool gear. Of course nobody else could do this kind of thing, but still. It's also 20 minutes too long. A tentative 3/5 stars at the moment

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm interested to see what else he comes out with in the near future, assuming that he's now in a more "release stuff" mood. The interviews make it sound like he's aware this isn't innovative, but he's got more innovative stuff squirreled away. Although I doubt he'll put out anything very different under the Aphex Twin name.

I think this album gets better the more I listen to it at any rate, there's so much density to parse

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

o.m. 94 posted:

It's also 20 minutes too long.

I hate to tell you but there is no such thing as too long of an Aphex Twin album

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
well i wish it were 20 minutes longer

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

It's pretty solid, not blowing my mind or anything though. I appreciate the effort and look forward to more material from him in the future.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

pfs Write posted:

No kidding there's another 20 minutes to fill on that CD there buddy that man needs to get to work!

We still get to hear the Japanese bonus track eventually though

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

First listen didn't blow me away. Some solid moments. I hope repeat listens open it up for me because I feel like his work as The Tuss was more interesting.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

pfs Write posted:

Truth, I can't ever say no to more Aphex. I can do without two of the songs but its pretty solid stuff, a lot to digest

dantheman650 posted:

First listen didn't blow me away. Some solid moments. I hope repeat listens open it up for me because I feel like his work as The Tuss was more interesting.

Yeah was hoping for more Tuss-like tracks but I can't really complain. Tuss is so good though :)

bef fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 19, 2014

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Just gave it a listen, loved it all the way through. Aisatsana is such a perfect closure, especially after all the really dense tracks.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

slowdave posted:

It's pretty solid, not blowing my mind or anything though. I appreciate the effort and look forward to more material from him in the future.

Pretty much. Happy it exists.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Besson posted:

Pretty much. Happy it exists.

This too. I guess I don't really need it to blow my mind. Just happy to enjoy listening! The album closer is so gorgeous but it feels out of place on the album. I almost wish he would do a whole album of piano tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

o.m. 94 posted:

It's not reaching the the kind of perverse genius of Windowlicker, 4, or Come To Daddy or the delicacy of the earlier stuff (nor would I expect it to). It's really just a collection of technically solid, wierd techno / dnb workouts from a guy with lots of cool gear. Of course nobody else could do this kind of thing, but still. It's also 20 minutes too long. A tentative 3/5 stars at the moment

Yeah more or less. He's said in every interview this is his most conventional release, more experimental material is just on the horizon, in one he says word for word "there are no next-level beats on Syro", he's much more enthusiastic about the stuff he's done in the past couple years, etc, so I'm definitely more excited about what's coming next. I was quick to feel disappointed in this one because yeah it's not at all on the level of his strongest work, but after a few listens I really think it's some of the best of his [uncertain tony fantano hand thing] "normal" techno material, both CIRCLONT tracks and the (earth portal) one at the end are really excellent. But yeah his openness and accuracy in describing this one have made me pretty hopeful the follow-up stuff will be as good as he says.

• Locked thread