Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
So I've found myself going for a PhD in Texas and after being born and raised in California, I miss the state a lot right now. At least rent is cheap out here, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
'Ey, not sure where it's more appropriate! Phone xposting from the Sacramento thread.

Hey hey - wife and I are headin that way tomorrow for a few days. She's got a job interview and I'm taggin along to check out the town too for if we wanna live there the next couple years. We've been to a few places in CA but never Sacramento - be awesome if y'all have any recommendations on any have-to-see/have-to-do stuff while there to help get a feel for the area? No kids and pretty open for whatever. Living in the Midwest right now so we're p hype to get the gently caress outta dodge for a few days to some not bullshit weather and other boozes.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, town is smaller than I expected.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

teh_Broseph posted:

We've been to a few places in CA but never Sacramento

Californians also say this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been to paradise, but I've never ... oh, never mind.

We once made a day trip to Sacramento. It was amazingly dull.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Eh, Sacramento is actually a pretty nice city if you stay the gently caress out of the suburbs, which are godawful.
It has a lot of trees and open spaces, there's more than enough to do in midtown in the evening. Good bars and great restaurants. Is it a shockingly great tourist destination? No, but it is a pretty solid place to live -- again, if you don't live in the suburbs.
It also has gotten way more interesting in the last decade, so people who haven't lived there for a while should be taken with a grain of salt. People who did a "day trip" there should be ignored.

That said, have to do, have to see? That's stuff you're looking for in a vacation destination. Get drunk in midtown and laugh at hipsters. The major appeal of Sacramento is being in a livable city that is 1 hour from the mountains and 1 hour from the ocean. That is pretty awesome.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 18, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Midtown in Sacramento is an awesome place to live. Screw the haters. You can get a 3 bedroom/2 bath craftsman in great condition there for what a 1 bedroom in San Jose would go for. Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, microbreweries and local bands, etc. Its really walkable and even has some public transit (gasp). I can be in Tahoe in 2 hours one direction, San Francisco 2 hours in the other and wine tasting in one of the worlds premier regions in half that time (ok, 1:30 to Sonoma).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
'Preciate the feedback y'all.

Cool; that's the general plan for tomorrow, wandering round downtown and boozing up. gently caress suburbs of any city forever. Not expecting big wow stuff necessarily, just whatever would be cool and a preview of livin here. A couple of the Marsalises are playing this weekend at least, which is awesome.

My knee jerk so far is to lean the wife towards our other options and come back in a couple years when we'll be set up better for living in San Diego. Eh, we'll give it a fair shake though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

teh_Broseph posted:

'Preciate the feedback y'all.

Cool; that's the general plan for tomorrow, wandering round downtown and boozing up. gently caress suburbs of any city forever. Not expecting big wow stuff necessarily, just whatever would be cool and a preview of livin here. A couple of the Marsalises are playing this weekend at least, which is awesome.

My knee jerk so far is to lean the wife towards our other options and come back in a couple years when we'll be set up better for living in San Diego. Eh, we'll give it a fair shake though.
To live in San Diego, I would have to 1) REALLY love the beach and 2) have stacks of money/be willing to live in a crappy place. I think its one of the most overrated cities out there. My sister lives there and I'm always amused at how many people seem to think San Diego is close to LA. You could go from Sacramento to San Francisco and eat a burrito in the Mission, and the guy who left San Diego would still be stuck in LA traffic.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If you live in San Diego (as I do) you don't go to LA unless for business. There is no reason to go to that awful loving city otherwise.

And yes I live in a lovely apartment 1 block from the beach. I live 30 mins north of the metro area though. (Its better) (Also more $$$)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been to Sacramento for student budget cut protests. G.W. Bush was still president and I wore a fedora because Indiana Jones wore one.

I don't think we were successful. If I remember right they raised the cost of tuition that year and the year after that and the year after that while also cutting services and teachers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Boozing around downtown sactown is a fine activity and nothing wrong with that. But if you have all day and a car, one option is to head up into the sierra foothills, take highway 49, and go out to Grass Valley/Nevada City for some semi-touristy old timey gold rush area stuff. Placerville is another option for that.

Another option is to bop west on 80 for a bit to Davis, for college town/galleries/good food/great bicycling town.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

Another option is to bop west on 80 for a bit to Davis, for college town/galleries/good food/great bicycling town.

Davis owns and I won't hear anything contrary. :colbert: I probably would have still been living there if I could have found a job there or in Sac

I also have a soft spot for Sacramento, if it had better weather it'd be a pretty drat decent place to live for the cost

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 18, 2014

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cheese posted:

To live in San Diego, I would have to 1) REALLY love the beach and 2) have stacks of money/be willing to live in a crappy place. I think its one of the most overrated cities out there. My sister lives there and I'm always amused at how many people seem to think San Diego is close to LA. You could go from Sacramento to San Francisco and eat a burrito in the Mission, and the guy who left San Diego would still be stuck in LA traffic.

Yeah i don't really get what people like about San Diego. There's some good touristy stuff but it's so small you kinda see everything and it gets boring. Also conservatives.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah i don't really get what people like about San Diego. There's some good touristy stuff but it's so small you kinda see everything and it gets boring. Also conservatives.

A Coastal Southern California City that isn't Western Los Angeles.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

east side for life.

i guess that SD cliffy beach area is cool though, near UCSD?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Xaris posted:

Davis owns and I won't hear anything contrary. :colbert: I probably would have still been living there if I could have found a job there or in Sac

I also have a soft spot for Sacramento, if it had better weather it'd be a pretty drat decent place to live for the cost
Went to UC Davis and can confirm that Davis does in fact own :)

Chinatown posted:

A Coastal Southern California City that isn't Western Los Angeles.
I think you will find the real Coast Southern California City you are looking for is Santa Barbara :smug:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

I think you will find the real Coast Southern California City you are looking for is Santa Barbara :smug:

I said city not town. Nice place though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Morro Bay is what its at

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If by "it" you mean "fog," then yes. :smug:

(Just kidding. I often escape to MB when SLO gets too "hot." Also when I need some salt-water taffy.)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

east side for life.

i guess that SD cliffy beach area is cool though, near UCSD?

It's a neat little spot. Windansea is my go-to spot even though there's fewer parking options than North Park.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Chinatown posted:

I said city not town. Nice place though.

San Diego is pretty much all sprawl once you leave its downtown core, though. I guess it has a 40 story building so it's a city and not a town, but I don't see how that makes it nicer.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

San Diego is pretty much all sprawl once you leave its downtown core, though. I guess it has a 40 story building so it's a city and not a town, but I don't see how that makes it nicer.

No life east of the 5.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

(Just kidding. I often escape to MB when SLO gets too "hot." Also when I need some salt-water taffy.)

Every time I go back home I make a point of visiting the Hoffbrau; I've never had a better French Dip (not meaning to start a foodchat derail!).

Do people from Arroyo Grande/Atascadero still visit SLO as the big city in the area? I know they've all but gutted/overhauled downtown.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Read MB as Manhattan Beach and began to seriously question y'all. Speaking as someone who grew up there, avoid it unless you like rich, hostile pricks.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Thinking about dipping down to see Gennady Golovkin vs Marco Antonio Rubio @ Stubhub Center in Carson in the 18th (get there on night of 17th, stuff Saturday and leave sunday morning). Anything of note nearby to basically help me kill time while I wait for the fight?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, y'all were right on Sac, was kind of a bust. The first sign was the only feedback we got when fishing for input from people outside the city was 100% consistent "Sacramento? It's hot out there." Then everyone inside the city just said "Not visiting, looking to move here? Oh.." Had some fun, weather would be great, wouldn't kill us if we had to move there, but holding off till we can shoot for the bigger cities.

The groovy stuff if interested:
Good call on going east - spent half a day going where the wineries were around Camino, ate some fresh fruit while watching llamas and sampling wine/mead/brandywine/beer at the Jack Russell brewery. Good beer up there, got a little hammertowned.
Classic car museum in the city had some neat stuff and was worth killin a couple hours in, Pooja had some great Indian food, Marie's Donuts owned, I couldn't see over a dirt hill at a park but it had a sign for a beach and a bunch of life jackets hanging up, walked up the hill and all I saw was desert, was not disappointed.

Probably moving to Alabama or Minnesota for now instead. :v: :iceburn:

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

cheese posted:

Davis is awesome. You can pet the cute little farm animals, watch one get slaughtered in their training processing facility, and then buy the tasty and expertly cut meat from the meat lab on Thursday and Friday afternoons.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ookuwagata posted:

Davis is awesome. You can pet the cute little farm animals, watch one get slaughtered in their training processing facility, and then buy the tasty and expertly cut meat from the meat lab on Thursday and Friday afternoons.

And then go sit in a classroom that used to carry slaughtered animals through on tracks

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

And then go sit in a classroom that used to carry slaughtered animals through on tracks

Thats :black101: as hell.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ookuwagata posted:

This is the best part of UC Davis. The administration now though seems to be ashamed of being the University Farm, which is sad. Moving the pigs away from the nuclear scientists was kind of sad (but smelled better).

nm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 24, 2014

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

nm posted:

This is the best part of UC Davis. The administration now though seems to be ashamed of being the University Farm, which is sad. Moving the pigs away from the nuclear scientists was kind of sad (but smelled better).

The pigs are out near the bee facility now right? I remember our forensic entomology class collecting decomposition data on rotting pig fetuses near beehives, while hearing the screeching and wailing of pigs nearby.

It's been too long since I've picked up meat from the meat lab. I need to take the drive up there and stock up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ookuwagata posted:

The pigs are out near the bee facility now right? I remember our forensic entomology class collecting decomposition data on rotting pig fetuses near beehives, while hearing the screeching and wailing of pigs nearby.
Yeah, out by the airport.

My grandfather, who was an animal scientist at Davis, thought the pigs next to the nuclear reactor was the funniest thing ever. I think they waited until he died to move it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Outsider perspective too was that Davis was dang groovy. We both thought if they were combined and Davis was dropped on top of downtown Sac, they'd make for a pretty great city.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Outsider perspective too was that Davis was dang groovy. We both thought if they were combined and Davis was dropped on top of downtown Sac, they'd make for a pretty great city.
Davis gets a bit boring after a while, especially if you're not into drinking with college students every day (That isn't to say Davis doesn't have some cool stuff). Sacramento has more to do, particularly in restaurants.

Fun fact, within the last 20 years you couldn't even buy underwear in Davis, you had to go to Woodland or Sacramento. It has grown up really, really fast. Davis used to be way smaller than Woodland.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

nm posted:

Davis gets a bit boring after a while, especially if you're not into drinking with college students every day (That isn't to say Davis doesn't have some cool stuff). Sacramento has more to do, particularly in restaurants.

Fun fact, within the last 20 years you couldn't even buy underwear in Davis, you had to go to Woodland or Sacramento. It has grown up really, really fast. Davis used to be way smaller than Woodland.

Yeah. I think you also need to live there for at least a few months for the charm to really sink in. Though I thought the bar scene in Davis was pretty bad though Sudwerks $1 pint night was great but I might be too old to do it now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

For what it is worth, I live in socal (to be fair, the ie) and I'm actively trying to move back to Sacramento. I liked it and the COL is so much lower than the livable parts of the bay or socal. Also, it has trees.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

For what it is worth, I live in socal (to be fair, the ie) and I'm actively trying to move back to Sacramento. I liked it and the COL is so much lower than the livable parts of the bay or socal. Also, it has trees.

The IE is literally a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Literally. Utter desolation, despair, drugged out people, and the rest wishing they will eventually escape.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Chinatown posted:

The IE is literally a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Literally. Utter desolation, despair, drugged out people, and the rest wishing they will eventually escape.

I live in the only good part (redlands), but I mostly agree. If southwest didn't fly out of ont, I'd have shot myself by now.

That said, I'd rather live here than orange county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

nm posted:

liked it and the COL is so much lower than the livable parts of the bay or socal. Also, it has trees.

Hell yeah. I was paying ~$500 a month for a 1BR in Davis. I live in Berkeley now and pay 3x that :negative: (and honestly Davis had better and much food than here :colbert:)

• Locked thread