Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Thunderfinger posted:

That's not the one. Someone here in one of the last threads talks at length about it. I wanted to find that post.

CobiWann posted:

I’ve said for a while that the origins of the War Doctor came from the Fifth Doctor.

He tried, so hard, but everyone around him kept dying. He caused the London fire. He said “they ought to be a better way” when everyone in the underwater base was dead. Adric dies. He watches his idol, Omega, try to take his life AND his visage. One of his companions keeps trying to kill him. The cure for the Terminus radiation kills as often as it cures. The Daleks are brought back to power because of him. (And, in Big Finish, he’s responsible for the creation of the Cybermen). To top it all off, a companion FINALLY calls him out on all the death around him and another companion almost dies because he brought her to the planet. By the end, I really think Five was just broken and had a bit of a death wish.

So, he turns into Six, who’s the opposite of Five in terms of outward personality. Death and chaos still follow him. Six turns into Seven, who seems to embrace the concept of “if chaos will reign around me, I will bend it to my will and make those who cause it suffer.” After Six and Seven, you get Eight, who is supposed to be this romantic, Byron figure, dashing, gallant…and handsome.

And the universe just kicks the living crap out of him. Two universes, technically. Add to it that the final war between Time Lords and Daleks has begun, and the Doctor is doing what he can while trillions of lives are lost to save who he can where he can…by the time he’s told “you’re a Time Lord, I don’t want your help, I’d rather burn,” four regenerations of depression, destruction, melancholy, and death have just crushed him. To quote McGann, the Doctor had a battered heart and couldn’t take anymore.

But the initial deep bruising? It goes all the way back to Five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Finish Five also has a weird existential crisis when he talks about seeing his own regeneration before it happened and also seeing older incarnations of himself that aged more than they should have done.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

Big Finish Five also has a weird existential crisis when he talks about seeing his own regeneration before it happened and also seeing older incarnations of himself that aged more than they should have done.

Wait, when was this? I must have missed this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Wait, when was this? I must have missed this.

It's in whichever Excelis has Five in it. He has a conversation with Iris about the afterlife. It's one of the few really good things about Excelis that isn't Anthony Stewart Head.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It's in whichever Excelis has Five in it. He has a conversation with Iris about the afterlife. It's one of the few really good things about Excelis that isn't Anthony Stewart Head.

Ooh, I'd skipped Excelis. I'll keep an ear out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I actually went to the Big Finish site last night and at one point my mouse was hovering over the Add to Basket for Minuet in Hell before my senses prevailed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually went to the Big Finish site last night and at one point my mouse was hovering over the Add to Basket for Minuet in Hell before my senses prevailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWD45FN5zA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If there was one BF audio I'd recommend you :filez:, it's that one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

If there was one BF audio I'd recommend you :filez:, it's that one.

Can't find it anywhere stable. It's only $3 and I've spent way more on poo poo like Plan 9 and countless MST3K, so I think I'm prepared for whatever b-movie hell Minuet brings.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't find it anywhere stable. It's only $3 and I've spent way more on poo poo like Plan 9 and countless MST3K, so I think I'm prepared for whatever b-movie hell Minuet brings.

Ground floor.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think I remember reading that Mary Tamm didn't think it made any sense at all.

It's one of my favourite Tom Baker stories though.

Iain Cuthbertson has such fun with the part of Garron, every time I watch it I'm just going along with whatever story he's giving the locals and just enjoying that for itself. He really sells the story which was heavily edited so there's bits missing and sticking out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I'm prepared for whatever b-movie hell Minuet brings.

:munch:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Stop with the Scottish referendum panic!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Without getting into a debate about how the Scottish should vote, if they voted yes, what would it mean for Capaldi? Would it make it difficult for the BBC to renew his contract?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jsor posted:

Without getting into a debate about how the Scottish should vote, if they voted yes, what would it mean for Capaldi? Would it make it difficult for the BBC to renew his contract?

He lives in London, for whatever that may be worth.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jsor posted:

I highly doubt it'll have any effect. And from what I've read, Scottish people living in England aren't even allowed to vote in this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

He lives in London, for whatever that may be worth.

He'd get grandfathered in as a UK citizen, and he's already a member of any unions he'd need to be in, so nothing would change.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Of course if we take Minuet in Hell as a chilling vision of the future, then Scottish Independence is guaranteed!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Edit: N/M. Taking this Missy theory to the spoiler thread, since it involves some finale stuff which I think also needs to be included.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 18, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

He'd get grandfathered in

Carole Ann Ford's return to the show 100% confirmed.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

There seems to be this oddly sanitized attempt to shock with sex and violence in this story, as if Big Finish wanted to be "mature" but were so wary of going beyond the pale that they ended up stuck between being candid and chaste. The oft-mocked "pretty little satin bottoms!" line is the best example of this, they wanted the despicable Hellfire Club to be sadistic degenerates who treated woman as sex slaves and objects but knew that it would just be too weird in something like Doctor Who. So they tried to compromise, and what comes across feels like a half-hearted attempt to be edgy.
A lot of the review, but this in particular makes this sound like an audio play version of Torchwood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

You know what they say about Scottish independence: "To lose is to win, and he who wins shall lose."

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have 2 9 hour drives coming up, and thought I should listen to some Who. I'm looking for suggestions.

Who-wise, I'm very familiar with the new series, but have never gotten into the older stuff.

Audio-wise I used to listen to audio books a lot. So if there's an awesome book with a good audio version I could do that. I've also listened to and enjoyed a lot of old bbc radio shows so I'm down with whatever style.

My favourite books to listen to are ridiculous action comedy things like Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

Also I'd prefer not crazy expensive ones in case I hate them in general I'm not out too much.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 28, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RodShaft posted:

I have 2 9 hour drives coming up, and thought I should listen to some Who. I'm looking for suggestions.

Who-wise, I'm very familiar with the new series, but have never gotten into the older stuff.

Audio-wise I used to listen to audio books a lot. So if there's an awesome book with a good audio version I could do that. I've also listened to and enjoyed a lot of old bbc radio shows so I'm down with whatever style.

My favourite books to listen to are ridiculous action comedy things like Douglas Adams and Christopher Moore.

Also I'd prefer not crazy expensive ones in case I hate them in general I'm not out too much.

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee | Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

That's 9 2-hour stories each available for 3bux apiece from BigFinish.com. If you listen, listen "in order" between the brackets.

These are full-cast radio drama, not just narrated audiobooks! Furthermore, they all stand apart from the classic stuff with the PARTIAL exeption of Spare Parts, but you've probably absorbed enough contextual info (i.e. the fate of Adric) to deal with it.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 18, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

The Marian Conspiracy, The Spectre of Langyon Moor, The Holy Terror, Jubilee | Storm Warning, The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear | Spare Parts | and The Fearmonger.

That's 9 2-hour stories each available for 3bux apiece from BigFinish.com. If you listen, listen "in order" between the brackets.

These are full-cast radio drama, not just narrated audiobooks! Furthermore, they all stand apart from the classic stuff with the PARTIAL exeption of Spare Parts, but you've probably absorbed enough contextual info (i.e. the fate of Adric) to deal with it.

I would toss in Neverland after Seasons of Fear since it's the "season finale" for Charley's arc.

Also, someone on my Facebook feed made an interesting comment - Listen is the closest the TV series will come to making a Big Finish audio-style episode.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jsor posted:

i like that you think the BBC only employs actors from the UK at the moment

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cerv posted:

i like that you think the BBC only employs actors from the UK at the moment

Well, no, but I figured the rules may be a bit more stringent for the highly paid face character of one of their big mainline shows.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

we're not quite reached that level of fascism yet

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cerv posted:

we're not quite reached that level of fascism yet

So we're not putting Capaldi in an internment camp with the rest of the Scots then?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So we're not putting Capaldi in an internment camp with the rest of the Scots then?

It's even worse than that, I'm afraid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

Well, no, but I figured the rules may be a bit more stringent for the highly paid face character of one of their big mainline shows.

In the event that Scotland votes Yes, there'll be a certain length of time until it actually becomes independent, during which negotiations will be undertaken to sort out the nuts and bolts of secession. This could take a year or two.

Salmond wants to join the EU (I'm not sure if he will arrange an interim referendum on that issue; he should if he's interested in emphasising Scotland's commitment to popular democracy, but he probably won't) and this could conceivably happen as early as next year, if Scotland's membership is fast-tracked and the Spanish do not try to veto it. One of the fundamental principles of the EU is free movement of labour (as an aside, the enduring support for the EU from the leftists and enduring opposition from the rightists is something which has long perplexed me; as Tony Benn said, the Treaty of Rome was the only treaty which "entrenches laissez-faire as its philosophy" - obviously not a topic for this thread, of course), so Capaldi wouldn't have any problems working in the UK.

Unless, possibly, the rest of the UK votes to leave the EU in 2017. In that regard, the Scottish referendum is, in many respects, a dry-run for how that would turn out. Better Together's tactics - failing to make a positive case for the union (the only politician who I think did so successfully was Gordon Brown, and he waited until literally the last moment to do it) in favour of trying to argue against independence - will probably be repeated by whoever is running the "In" campaign and UKIP will probably crush them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

so Capaldi wouldn't have any problems working in the UK

or just ignore all that since he'd still be a UK citizen anyway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

In the event that Scotland votes Yes, there'll be a certain length of time until it actually becomes independent, during which negotiations will be undertaken to sort out the nuts and bolts of secession. This could take a year or two.

I know this isn't what you mean AT ALL, but I'm tickled pink at the idea of the top item on the agenda post-independence being negotiating an agreement for the continued use of Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who :3:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I know this isn't what you mean AT ALL, but I'm tickled pink at the idea of the top item on the agenda post-independence being negotiating an agreement for the continued use of Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who :3:

The new bi-lateral trade agreement indicates that the show must include at least one Scottish companion every five series.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jerusalem posted:

Pfft. He'll be the only leverage Big Eck has.

We'll charge you rent on the accent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The new bi-lateral trade agreement indicates that the show must include at least one Scottish companion every five series.

In addition, David Tennant must return to the show and re-film all prior seasons with his native accent.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

In addition, David Tennant must return to the show and re-film all prior seasons with his native accent.

Addendum – Billie Piper must re-record all her dialogue in an Irish accent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Tooth and Claw will become incredibly confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

But will an independent Scotland still want to watch Doctor Who :ohdear:

• Locked thread