Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Adult Sword Owner posted:

The fresh pasta you make and immediately cook is cheaper than 75 cents a lb and will be better than the $5 a lb pasta

Seriously everyone make your own pasta its great

This may not be the cheapest homemade pasta, but it looks good. (And the portion made yesterday was good too.)
2 dl flour to 1 large egg, knead together. Use additional water and flour to fix dryness/wetness. It should be firm and dry to touch, but not crumbling.

You don't need a pasta machine, just a cookie roller and a knife. Hell, you could even use a cookie cutter for really fancy pasta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Leper Residue posted:

Hell, there's a youtube channel I used to subscribe to called "Depression Cooking" where this old lady who lived during the depression taught you how to cook on like 75 cents a day. When eating said food I understood the meaning, cause I just felt depressed the whole time. I say buy quality ingredients and learn how to make them last, not lovely ingredients and eat them all at once. I'm much happier for it.

I love this channel.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

nielsm posted:

This may not be the cheapest homemade pasta, but it looks good. (And the portion made yesterday was good too.)
2 dl flour to 1 large egg, knead together. Use additional water and flour to fix dryness/wetness. It should be firm and dry to touch, but not crumbling.

You don't need a pasta machine, just a cookie roller and a knife. Hell, you could even use a cookie cutter for really fancy pasta!

This looks awesome and I think I'm gonna try it out next week. How long do they take to cook usually? And how long does fresh pasta stay? I usually like to make big batches of stuff at the beginning of the week so I don't have to worry about anything when I get home from work.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love this channel.

Oh yeah, the channel is awesome. I love watching that little old lady talking about the depression and making the food. But seriously,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VhG8MKxJYHere you can watch her pick dandelions from the neighborhood and eat a big ol' bowl of dandelions. No thank you.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I do a lot of depression cooking, but it's mostly just chicken and rice while drinking malt liquor. I think they might be different.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leper Residue posted:

This looks awesome and I think I'm gonna try it out next week. How long do they take to cook usually? And how long does fresh pasta stay? I usually like to make big batches of stuff at the beginning of the week so I don't have to worry about anything when I get home from work.

Oh yeah, the channel is awesome. I love watching that little old lady talking about the depression and making the food. But seriously,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VhG8MKxJYHere you can watch her pick dandelions from the neighborhood and eat a big ol' bowl of dandelions. No thank you.

Dandelions rule. I use them all the time. My favourite thing is to sautee them very quickly in olive oil with garlic and finish with just a bit of vinegar and salt.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Leper Residue posted:

That youtube channel is amazing. I'd forgotten about it. I've eaten dandelion greens before and they have a good flavor - we eat all sorts of other greens, so why not ones you can pick fresh anywhere you are?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That youtube channel is amazing. I'd forgotten about it. I've eaten dandelion greens before and they have a good flavor - we eat all sorts of other greens, so why not ones you can pick fresh anywhere you are?

This is just a bad idea. Lots of places use all sorts of commercial pesticides that probably aren't ok for food use. Sure, she washes them, but I'd rather have greens from an actual garden, not just from neighbors yard where they have done who knows what (I had a boss that used deisel to kill weeds, so).

I'm not really dissing dandelion greens, just her method of making them, and mainly her method of obtaining them. Mr. Wiggles method seems like it could be tasty. Also, there is literally nothing else, no toms, no onions, no mushrooms (I hate mushrooms but even I want to see them thrown in there so you have an actual salad). Like I enjoy spinach, but I'd like a little more in my spinach salad then just spinach.

I think I'm just spoiled, which is a horrible thing to be when poor.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 18, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Boil 2-3 minutes, depending on how thinly you rolled it. Just make a simple sauce with some fresh greens, maybe add a bit of pesto to it.

I'm not sure how well it keeps. If you make egg pasta you should probably eat it within a few days, if you want to keep it for longer it's probably better to make it without eggs, just water and flour. Also if you store the cut/shaped pasta, be careful about it sticking together.
You can perhaps make a large portion of dough and keep it refrigerated in a tightly closed freezer bag, then roll and shape some when you need it. The bag should prevent it from drying out in storage.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

nielsm posted:

Boil 2-3 minutes, depending on how thinly you rolled it. Just make a simple sauce with some fresh greens, maybe add a bit of pesto to it.

I'm not sure how well it keeps. If you make egg pasta you should probably eat it within a few days, if you want to keep it for longer it's probably better to make it without eggs, just water and flour. Also if you store the cut/shaped pasta, be careful about it sticking together.
You can perhaps make a large portion of dough and keep it refrigerated in a tightly closed freezer bag, then roll and shape some when you need it. The bag should prevent it from drying out in storage.

Yeah, before I asked I looked up a bunch of fresh pasta stuff, nothing said anything about storage or cooking. But one did have a thing where they just made this huge log of pasta stuff that they would cut off a slice and make into proper noodles, bu they didn't give like any info on it.

Is freezing fresh pasta good? I'm thinking I'll make a log, cut them into slices, freeze them individually and then use as needed.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Leper Residue posted:

This is just a bad idea. Lots of places use all sorts of commercial pesticides that probably aren't ok for food use. Sure, she washes them, but I'd rather have greens from an actual garden, not just from neighbors yard where they have done who knows what (I had a boss that used deisel to kill weeds, so).

I'm not really dissing dandelion greens, just her method of making them, and mainly her method of obtaining them. Mr. Wiggles method seems like it could be tasty. Also, there is literally nothing else, no toms, no onions, no mushrooms (I hate mushrooms but even I want to see them thrown in there so you have an actual salad). Like I enjoy spinach, but I'd like a little more in my spinach salad then just spinach.

I think I'm just spoiled, which is a horrible thing to be when poor.

Well, that's a good point. I didn't pick them up from random neighbors' yards, I grew them in a patch of mine (inadvertently) and there were certainly no pesticides in use there. I certainly wouldn't recommend eating food that may contain harmful pesticides.

Drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some cheese - that's a good salad. Tomatoes, mushrooms, and so on definitely improve the salad, but some leaves with olive oil and a little seasoning can be very tasty.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

Is freezing fresh pasta good? I'm thinking I'll make a log, cut them into slices, freeze them individually and then use as needed.

Egg-pasta might not be good for freezing, but not sure.
If you're going to freeze it, you should probably roll it out to plates first, to avoid large balls that take forever to thaw all the way.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Pfft its a waste of dandelions to not save them for wine

Which you probably need if you're eating your neighbors weeds

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You just use the flowers for wine, eat the greens :colbert:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I don't usually follow this thread but I made some jambalaya last night using just a skillet and a 3-cup rice cooker. It was pretty cheap and delicious and overall an enlightening experience so I figured I'd share.

First sautée whatever stuff you wanna throw in there on a skillet with some butter in it. I used half an onion, half a green pepper, one italian sausage, and a handful of shrimp. You might be able to skip the sautéing but I didn't know what I was doing so I wanted to make sure the sausage was cooked.

Then put about a cup of rice and a cup of chicken broth in the cooker. Throw your sautéed goodies in there. Take a small (~14 oz) can of diced tomatoes and drain out the juice before dumping the whole can in there. Then just season it how you like (I used chili powder, creole, garlic powder, and sriracha), mix it around a bit, set the cooker to cook and forget about it. 10 minutes after it pops, you'll have delicious jambalaya.

My batch ended up with more rice than tomato, which I prefer, but you might wanna mess with rice/tomato portions to suit your taste. Obviously this isn't the greatest jambalaya, but it makes for a solid base in my opinion. Now I just need to learn how to properly spice a jambalaya instead of relying on sriracha. :v:

If you have any ideas how to fine tune this, please share!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You're adding the shrimp way too early I think.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

rice cooker jambalaya

I'm all for the lazy version, but you're not too far off of just going for the real deal. Check out the cajun thread for more details (and when in doubt on flavoring, follow the thread title):

Put extra pepper on it. Now it's Cajun! The Cajun and Creole food thread.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CrispKing posted:

I'm all for the lazy version, but you're not too far off of just going for the real deal. Check out the cajun thread for more details (and when in doubt on flavoring, follow the thread title):

Put extra pepper on it. Now it's Cajun! The Cajun and Creole food thread.

Just gonna say, the gumbo recipe on the first page of that thread is amazing, and it freezes really well. I made a big batch of it a couple weeks back, ate it till it was getting ready to go bad, then froze it in bags. The only downside to reheating it is that it makes the shrimp rubbery, but other than that, it's great. And the Crystal Hot Sauce can be found at Walmart for like $2 for a good sized bottle. It's milder and less vinegar-y than Franks or Tabasco, and completely necessary to the dish.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

You're adding the shrimp way too early I think.

Good call. I was too busy enjoying everything else to really care but the shrimp was a bit rubbery now that you mention it. Probably better to throw them in half way through the rice cooker cycle.

And it looks like I'm gonna have to pick up some Crystal hot sauce and a proper pot to do some proper cajun.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are you using frozen precooked shrimp? Throw them in at the very end, just so that they thaw before eating. If you're using fresh or not pre-cooked, might be worth cooking them up separately and adding them at the end. But definately saute your sausage and veg, get that delicious maillard reaction going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jehde posted:

I don't usually follow this thread but I made some jambalaya last night using just a skillet and a 3-cup rice cooker. It was pretty cheap and delicious and overall an enlightening experience so I figured I'd share.

First sautée whatever stuff you wanna throw in there on a skillet with some butter in it. I used half an onion, half a green pepper, one italian sausage, and a handful of shrimp. You might be able to skip the sautéing but I didn't know what I was doing so I wanted to make sure the sausage was cooked.

Then put about a cup of rice and a cup of chicken broth in the cooker. Throw your sautéed goodies in there. Take a small (~14 oz) can of diced tomatoes and drain out the juice before dumping the whole can in there. Then just season it how you like (I used chili powder, creole, garlic powder, and sriracha), mix it around a bit, set the cooker to cook and forget about it. 10 minutes after it pops, you'll have delicious jambalaya.

My batch ended up with more rice than tomato, which I prefer, but you might wanna mess with rice/tomato portions to suit your taste. Obviously this isn't the greatest jambalaya, but it makes for a solid base in my opinion. Now I just need to learn how to properly spice a jambalaya instead of relying on sriracha. :v:

If you have any ideas how to fine tune this, please share!

Isn't it supposed to have celery thrown in with the onion and green pepper?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

That's the Holy Trinity and is a major staple of Cajun Cooking.

In fact it is the Cajun version of the french Mirepoix (yes i had to look up how to spell it.... drat french words)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah and it's not supposed to have italian sausage or sriracha either. :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Lord Bude posted:

I've had jambalaya without celery strangely enough. For some reason I find a lot of recipes where it is left out of the trinity. However I always use it in mine and many others also do.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haven't followed this thread in awhile and not sure if this is the best place to post, but: Currently trying to live off of about $70 in food expenses a month for one person ($70 SNAP allowance per month, trying to go over as little as possible). Nearby stores include Kroger, a really small middle eastern place, and an Asian food store. Got a rice cooker/steamer and a slow cooker on top of a skillet and a small pot. Still need a new baking sheet.

Looking for some basic food ideas and for at least a couple things I can take in a backpack with me for lunch break at school/work without having to buy stuff on campus.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zerilan posted:

Haven't followed this thread in awhile and not sure if this is the best place to post, but: Currently trying to live off of about $70 in food expenses a month for one person ($70 SNAP allowance per month, trying to go over as little as possible). Nearby stores include Kroger, a really small middle eastern place, and an Asian food store. Got a rice cooker/steamer and a slow cooker on top of a skillet and a small pot. Still need a new baking sheet.

Looking for some basic food ideas and for at least a couple things I can take in a backpack with me for lunch break at school/work without having to buy stuff on campus.

Go to www.bugdgetbytes.com. The girl who runs the blog just completed a month long SNAP challenge, where she had something like $30/month to live on. It's a great blog with lots of good ideas. I just tried the Dragon noodles the other day and they're fantastic. Tonight, we're having her Italian Wonderpot, which I'll post a trip report on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've fed myself on ~$60/month for the past few years (this might be easier in California, where I live, than in whatever place you live).

But, to be perfectly honest, pretty much what I'd type would just amount to dino's second post in this thread, plus perhaps some stuff from this book and various tips from elsewhere in this thread. So the best advice I can give you is "read through the thread."

Also, as long as we're talking about budget bytes, her sandwich bread recipe is what I use for sandwich bread, in case that's helpful.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

Go to www.bugdgetbytes.com. The girl who runs the blog just completed a month long SNAP challenge, where she had something like $30/month to live on. It's a great blog with lots of good ideas. I just tried the Dragon noodles the other day and they're fantastic. Tonight, we're having her Italian Wonderpot, which I'll post a trip report on.

I can confirm: my wife and I love the dragon noodles and, in fact, I'm making them for dinner tonight.

Her Easy Pad Thai---while perhaps not the most authentic---is good, too, as is her beef and mushroom stroganoff. And I make her yellow jasmine rice pretty much as my default rice these days.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

fixed url: http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The Dragon Noodles are awesome, though udon or soba noodles aren't exactly cheap around me. Some of my other favorties from that site are the Black Bean Quesadilla, Hopping John Salad, and the Slow Cooker White Bean soup.

Also, buy lots of rice, get some potatoes, learn to fill dishes with em.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I doubled the budgetbytesSausage Kale Cassoulet with a pound of dry beans and a couple extra sausages and that's going to be my lunch all week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have suggestions for budgeting food? My wife and I are good about cooking most of our meals but really terrible at planning and buying for more than a day in advance of cooking. Planning would help us cut our food expenditures quite a bit but I'm not sure where to start.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Plan your menu for the entire week and go shopping once. This allows you to make use of leftovers, ingredients that may be plentiful enough for multiple meals, etc. For instance, buying and roasting a chicken for Sunday dinner, then having chicken tacos with the leftovers on Monday night, and then chicken soup on Tuesday night by cooking the carcass all day in the slow cooker while you're at work.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Welp, I shouldn't url at 9am. :doh:

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone have suggestions for budgeting food? My wife and I are good about cooking most of our meals but really terrible at planning and buying for more than a day in advance of cooking. Planning would help us cut our food expenditures quite a bit but I'm not sure where to start.

Pretty much what Mr. Wiggles said. Plan out a couple of big meals that you can make and eat for multiple days or use the leftovers to turn into other food. For example, this week we used some leftover chicken to make yellow curry chicken with coconut and black bean rice on Sunday. We made naan bread to soak that up, and used the leftovers as a garlic butter breadstick with the Italian Wonderpot we made last night I also threw in some Italian sausage to extend it a bit, and I had some for lunch. Tonight, we're having the rest of the wonderpot. Tomorrow, we're making more naan and using leftover sausage as a topping in naan pizza, which should last us till Friday.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BraveUlysses posted:

Continue as you have for a week or two and save all of your grocery receipts. From there you can start to pinpoint where your biggest money sinks are. Buying a single pepper for a dish each day, maybe there's a bag of them on sale for less. Buying a couple of chicken breasts for a quick dinner, maybe there is a 'family pack' or bulk size available. Don't be afraid to shop sales and freeze parts of what you get as well. All of these things and what people above have mentioned will save you money.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
When I started planning meals for the week, I wrote all the meals out on a 7 day calendar and built my grocery list off that. I picked meals that would reheat well since I packed leftovers for lunches. It sounds like you guys like to decide on meals at the last second? Having the calendar meant we could both look at it and know what is coming up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Charmmi posted:

When I started planning meals for the week, I wrote all the meals out on a 7 day calendar and built my grocery list off that. I picked meals that would reheat well since I packed leftovers for lunches. It sounds like you guys like to decide on meals at the last second? Having the calendar meant we could both look at it and know what is coming up.

Yep, I plan for the entire week as well. Good planning is the core of good kitchen management :eng101:.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I also plan on a per week basis starting with the circular from my favorite grocery store. I check the sales on big ticket items (some meats and more expensive produce) and build my menu off of what's on the weekly sales each time around. If nothing I like is marked down there's always a few good standby things or I have a big pile of frozen meat (from previous really good bulk sales) ready to thaw out and use.

It works well. We aren't on a super tight budget but my fiancee and I eat 100% of our food and coffee for one week off of a single grocery visit and the bill ends up being less than a single night of dinner and drinks for two at a decent restaurant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hate buying some stuff and having it cost more or the same than going out. Even though whatever I cook is better than say, Olive Garden, I spend an hour at the store, an hour cooking, 20 minutes cleaning up, apartment smells like olive garden all week...

canned tomatoes ($2), cream ($2), sardines ($2), garlic ($1), mushrooms ($2), sausage ($4), basil ($1), maybe this week I needed to buy a spice or some olive oil ($4). Already have pasta and onions so I'm saving a buck there.

Then I spend $3 on some bread from the bakery, grab some spinach ($2), a tomato ($1) and a jar of olives ($2) (I need a salad!), $5 on some cheese

That's almost $30 and I didn't even get any vino. At least I get a sausage, mushroom and spinach omelet out of it the next day.

This must be why we had spaghetti as a kid. ($1) box of Mueller's spaghetti, $2 jar of Prego, $2 worth of hamburger, and slices of wonder bread ($2) and margarine. Then again I don't remember mom running around the kitchen talking in Mario and Luigi voices while she cooked like I do.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 7, 2014

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
That's $30 but it makes at least 6 servings if you make it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

That's $30 but it makes at least 6 servings if you make it all.

Yeah this. If I spent that much it would be more than just a single meal for two.

Also Olive garden is a pretty high quantity of food for the buck kind of place.