Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

I believe that Nomura is still- yup went and checked it. He was still the director for Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days, Dream Drop Distance and Re:Coded.

So to amend what you said, while he was working on Versus/XV, he also made two KH games for DS, one being a spin off and one being a remake, and two full-fledged KH games, one a prequel just as important as any other and one a straight up sequel to KH2.

Huh, for some reason I thought Nomura was only recently made director of FFXV so that it wouldn't interfere with the other games he was making. But him working on an entirely different series while working on XV just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm gonna take it that all the songs with prominent vocals aren't in english :(

Oh well Sound of the Wind is still amazing

edit: button control scheme is really not ideal for FMS

Lessail fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 18, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought Nomura was only recently made director of FFXV so that it wouldn't interfere with the other games he was making. But him working on an entirely different series while working on XV just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Nomura has always been the director of Versus/XV and always been the Director of the Kingdom Hearts games, in fact the latter is pretty much ALL his directing work with Square, his work with the Final Fantasy was mostly art and a few other pieces here and there. So Versus was really his first time working on a Final Fantasy game as a director. And during the majority of that time, he made 4 Kingdom Hearts games, apparently couldn't get what he wanted out of the PS3, and had most of his team jumped to help XIII and XIV at different points.

And then, they announce Kingdom Hearts 3 at the same time. The funny thing about KH3 is it wasn't announced until just last year, but everyone has been acting like it was announced for YEARS because it was obviously going to happen. And as bad as it is to try to manage ONE AAA game like Versus/XV if you also get thrown in to develop a second one, you can't keep that that up for long. So moving Hajime to the main director of XV when he isn't working on anything, and letting Nomura focus exclusively on KH3 is probably for the best.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

Naoki Yoshida was one of the few directors to steer around these problems by being very open about FFXIV's failings and actively working with players to make it right. FFXIV bombed spectacularly so he worked tirelessly to win back the trust of consumers rather than retreat into some ivory tower. He identified the failings of FFXIV 1.0, such as the focus on visuals and the lack of key role in development, and avoided the falling into the same trap his peers and predecessors have. With FFXV, we had the same evasiveness that defined the troubled development of FFXII and FFXIII.

We all know that the only reason they were so open and honest about FFXIV was because everybody saw how hosed up it was personally, so they had no plausible deniability. The only way they could've possibly got people to buy A Realm Reborn was to tell them that it was going to be a massive improvement from the clusterfuck that was vanilla XIV.

Nobody is going to tell us that Versus was going through development hell because they don't have a reason to. We all know the reason Nomura was shifted off of directing XV, but they aren't going to say so because they don't have to "win back" people's trust when it comes to XV. Sure, there are guys like us on message boards who have been eating up any scrap of news pertaining to this goddamn game but most people have probably sort of forgotten that Versus was even a thing a long time ago. Around 2012 they probably thought that by shaking up the development team, bringing Tabata on as director, and "re-branding" the game as Final Fantasy XV they can sort of get all of the benefits of an A Realm Reborn-style redo without the negative publicity.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
New FFVII G-Bike trailer. Looks awesome.

http://youtu.be/B9An7rhOpm8

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Himuro posted:

I want them to do the Sub minigame. Or Chocobo racing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

PunkBoy posted:

Triple triad and chocobo hot and cold

Final Heaven looks so rad.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 18, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lessail posted:

I'm gonna take it that all the songs with prominent vocals aren't in english :(

Oh well Sound of the Wind is still amazing

edit: button control scheme is really not ideal for FMS

Wait, Eyes on Me was in English, so was Melodies of Life, real Emotion, 1000 Words and Kiss Me Goodbye. Well they had translated versions. Isn't it the translated versions in this new game or whatever it is people are talking about?

Anyway, question to posters in here. I've never gotten anything off Steam before. Is FFIV DS worth it? i really liked FFIV when I played the Advance version.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So we'll need a good roadtrip movie reference for the FFXV thread name.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, Eyes on Me was in English, so was Melodies of Life, real Emotion, 1000 Words and Kiss Me Goodbye. Well they had translated versions. Isn't it the translated versions in this new game or whatever it is people are talking about?

Anyway, question to posters in here. I've never gotten anything off Steam before. Is FFIV DS worth it? i really liked FFIV when I played the Advance version.

FFIV ds is great if you're experienced and well versed in FFIV. It's a great remix to a highly repetitive game (on replays) that spices things up, remixes some new boss fights, and has a few surprises up its sleeves. The recent mobile version also has an easy mode, in case you find the regular normal mode too challenging. Check it out.

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy XV: We Can't Stop Here! This Is Bad Breath Country!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 18, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dude, Somebody Stole My Chocobo!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final Fantasy Megathread: The Boys Are Back in Town

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I am cautiously optimistic now, but we won't see the game until early 2016 in the West most likely. Meh on Agito+ since it's still a F2P game on Vita. I would have much rather had a packaged version.

FF - "Unleash the fury!"

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Himuro posted:

Holy poo poo

PunkBoy posted:

Sub and snowboarding

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Curtain Call is extremely fun. Most of my play is in Quest Medley mode so far, and here's some tips that are probably obvious but that people may overlook at times:

- Early on is when you have the fastest rate of character unlocks, since there are some bonuses for certain amounts of Rhythmia that outright fill up an entire crystal's worth of shards for you. You should consider focusing on getting characters that represent as many different games as possible, as using a character to play a song whose game they belong to confers a +30 Rhythmia bonus every time you do it.

- Sorta tied to the first point, you might also consider focusing on one gender or another at first, since All Men/Women teams is another +10 Rhythmia every time you do it. I went with females because I tried to focus mostly on getting solid magic characters together. Rydia, Terra, Lightning #2, and Yuna #2 are all pretty good for this, as they all get a good magic stat (with Lightning #2 also getting a great strength stat) and the spells to use it with.

- It would be worth your while to pick up Cosmos early on and level her until she learns her Paeon ability. This is a constant regen effect and is pretty useful in longer Quest Medleys, as you can pop her into the back of the party for a Field song and heal back a good chunk of your life. This is even more effective if you pick up other characters that learn Regen or Paeon.

- When going with a magic lineup, it's tempting to load up one or two of the strongest spells on each character, but sometimes it's more effective to load up the cheaper spells since they trigger on less notes and thus have the chance to trigger more times in songs. This tends to depend on the note chart, though. In general, though, Fire and Thunder spells seem to trigger more than Blizzard since Blizzard is tied to Hold notes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
oh wow you don't gotta get an all critical to get a SSS anymore :sax:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Curtain Call is extremely fun. Most of my play is in Quest Medley mode so far, and here's some tips that are probably obvious but that people may overlook at times:

- Early on is when you have the fastest rate of character unlocks, since there are some bonuses for certain amounts of Rhythmia that outright fill up an entire crystal's worth of shards for you. You should consider focusing on getting characters that represent as many different games as possible, as using a character to play a song whose game they belong to confers a +30 Rhythmia bonus every time you do it.

- Sorta tied to the first point, you might also consider focusing on one gender or another at first, since All Men/Women teams is another +10 Rhythmia every time you do it. I went with females because I tried to focus mostly on getting solid magic characters together. Rydia, Terra, Lightning #2, and Yuna #2 are all pretty good for this, as they all get a good magic stat (with Lightning #2 also getting a great strength stat) and the spells to use it with.

- It would be worth your while to pick up Cosmos early on and level her until she learns her Paeon ability. This is a constant regen effect and is pretty useful in longer Quest Medleys, as you can pop her into the back of the party for a Field song and heal back a good chunk of your life. This is even more effective if you pick up other characters that learn Regen or Paeon.

- When going with a magic lineup, it's tempting to load up one or two of the strongest spells on each character, but sometimes it's more effective to load up the cheaper spells since they trigger on less notes and thus have the chance to trigger more times in songs. This tends to depend on the note chart, though. In general, though, Fire and Thunder spells seem to trigger more than Blizzard since Blizzard is tied to Hold notes.

A few other characters get Paeon - I'm pretty sure Yuna had it (but maybe it was Minwu, I don't remember; I've since discarded whoever it was into the abyss)
Another tip is to level with whoever you want when doing quest medley, but if you're on a high-level quest, you'll want to sub out your low level people for higher level ones for the boss, or else you might not do enough damage and the effort will all have been wasted.

Anybody know what the day counter in quests is for? Does it do anything? Does it matter at all?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Terra gets Paeaon. I'm pretty sure it's her, if it's not her then it's Serah. And didn't the Tutorial say that the more days go by, the more the XP multiplier is?

[Curtain Call]

OK so what's the "right" way to do the things where you have to hold the button, move the circle pad to hit the dots, and it ends with an arrow? Does the circle need to be where the arrow is when I flick the circle in the arrow direction? Because that seems unnecessarily weird without using Hybrid, and I really don't like using the stylus at all for this game so far.

Also, should i do every song on every difficulty or just go straight to the second difficulty, because I'm getting SS on the first try on most of these songs on Basic?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, I just listed Cosmos because I know she gets Paeon pretty early and then gets Paeon level 2 at a reasonable level. Plenty of other characters get Regen or Paeon but I didn't list them because the only ones I knew of offhand are unlockable characters.

The day counter just seems to be tied to the number of stages you've played, which in turn is tied to the increasing EXP multiplier. I don't know of any other significance to it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is some Calvin Klein poo poo. I love it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ Terra gets Paeaon. I'm pretty sure it's her, if it's not her then it's Serah. And didn't the Tutorial say that the more days go by, the more the XP multiplier is?

Plenty do, I haven't used either of the two you mentioned, or Cosmos, so at least four or five do

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

I would say I'd die a little inside but honestly that would not surprise me overmuch. :smith:

Add Steamworks support and I'd be all over that no matter how terrible the port quality would be. :getin:

Phantasium posted:

According to the guy I asked in the RPG thread:

So in other words, not much, but enough that it would be interesting for me to play through again.

They fixed the bed glitch and now I can't see a sprite head sleeping next to a bed and without a body? No sale. :colbert:

Captain Mog posted:

That looked like fantastic fun. The combat had a serious Xenoblade vibe to it, which is never a bad thing. I'd get it just based on that video alone, drat.

Yeah I immediately thought the same thing, especially with the giant creature at the beginning. Still looking forward to Xenoblade X more than FF15 at this point though. Don't really care for the buddy flick road trip layout. I'm sure FF15 will have better graphics than Xenoblade (WiiU vs PS4 after all) but gently caress it I want my Xenoblade fix and bring on the goddamn mechs. FF15 looks like it's cribbing hard off of Xenoblade though.

Thank god they took Nomura off the project too, even though it should've happened ages ago. Maybe the new guy can pull a (mini) YoshiP and Get poo poo Done(tm).

I was afraid this was their Monster Hunter clone but I think that's FF Explorers. This looks goofy and painful though.

J-Spot posted:

Wow. 9 years of work to establish a concept and characters.

This is the same company that had an art guy modeling the same rock for several months, isn't it?

Gologle posted:

Is there ANY chance, any at all, that Nomura left the team because the core work was done underneath him and Hajime was brought in to finalize everything so Nomura could lend more aid to the KH3 team? I kind of don't want to think of him as loving up, the guy has produced some games that I really enjoyed in the past.

That announcement reads like more of a "this guy sucks and we're replacing him" kind of thing. Just because someone made good games in the past doesn't mean they can't and won't fuckup in the present. IE: Peter Molyneux

Himuro posted:

Triple triad and chocobo hot and cold

Final Heaven looks so rad.

IIRC, Triple Triad is going to be added to FF14. Or it's something they've said they want to add to it.

Really, if the golden saucer in FF14 is nothing but FF minigames that alone would make it worth subscribing.

Terper posted:

Dude, Where's My Game?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, Triple Triad is going to be added to FF14. Or it's something they've said they want to add to it.

Triple Triad? Or Tetra Master?

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Himuro posted:

Triple Triad? Or Tetra Master?

Yoshi specifically said triple triad. Which is good, cause tetra master sucks

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Yoshi specifically said triple triad. Which is good, cause tetra master sucks

No debate there.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
They fixed it!

Sound also isn't compressed like the DS/phone version. Full keyboard and controller support. Also achievements :sax:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Been a pretty cool week for this series.

Still no Curtain Call though, why isn't it Friday yet

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Coughing Hobo posted:

They fixed it!

Sound also isn't compressed like the DS/phone version. Full keyboard and controller support. Also achievements :sax:

Does it still run at 15FPS in battles?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Francis posted:

Does it still run at 15FPS in battles?

Seems closer to 30, now! Progress!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kanfy posted:

Been a pretty cool week for this series.

Still no Curtain Call though, why isn't it Friday yet

I walked into a store and bought it last night. Did I accidentally get a Gamestop employee to break street date? Because :lol: if so.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

precision posted:

I walked into a store and bought it last night. Did I accidentally get a Gamestop employee to break street date? Because :lol: if so.

Friday's the pal release, it's already out in the US.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the greatest thing about the road trip angle is that the trailers made it sound like they're literally trying to get the main character to his date on time.

Close, they're trying to get to the catwalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ1q5UFKimI

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

So, the second Long Quest Medley I was randomly given in Curtain Call has bounties that total 14 White Shards and 9 Silver Shards, with the second boss having a chance of dropping Golden Shards and the final boss having a chance of dropping Black Shards. Pretty cool stuff, all things considered. If anyone wants me to pass this Quest Medley along to them, you can find me on SynIRC in #nintengoons or PM me here or something.

Speaking of trading Proficards, is there a way to do it without having to battle the other person? Just wondering.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

What in the world... I don't even know what to make of this game.
Has this been posted yet?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy:_Curtain_Call

I bought a $50 Eshop card to grab Curtain Call. It looks like the remaining $10 is definitely going on some of that DLC eventually. Balamb Garden! KUON! Some other stuff I guess.

Still think people paying $1 to hear the drat blitzball song again are crazy though. Got enough of that getting Wakka's weapon thank you very much

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Next week's Famitsu is apperantly going to have a ton more info* on Final Fantasy We Can't Stop Here! This Is Anime Country: XV, so look forward to that.**

*For a certain definition of ton, probably.

** Maybe don't, it's up to you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Levantine posted:

The DS style Final Fantasy IV is now on Steam. If you want to play it again, I guess. 15.99 is pretty steep for a game I've played and beaten a hundred times but at least it isn't the After Years!

After Years has been remade in the FF4DS engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up eventually, too.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
On the one hand, I'm glad Nomura isn't directing anymore. His storytelling tends to end up being a total clusterfuck by the end, despite knowing how to have good action scenes.

On the other hand, Tabata is ten times worse when it comes to storytelling, if Type-0 is anything to go by. Not sure how to feel. :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Uh, Type-0's story is better than whatever incoherent mess Kingdom Hearts became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I literally had no idea what was going on when I went to the final dungeon and characters who I'd only seen once for 2 minutes died every 2 seconds in an overly dramatic way. I'd rather have KH nonsense than magic plot points hidden in more codexes.