Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
http://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/comments/2c48ra/this_cosplayer_was_intercepting_comic_con_goers/

People were asking who the gently caress this weird hawk dude was after Comic Con apparently.

"it could be someone's fursona"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I mean, the idea of him playing such a ridiculous character at Comic Con is definitely funny. As is the idea of him trying to pitch a Veggie Tales ripoff. But the rest of that sketch was just not funny, I'm sorry.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Yeah, they could have just made the Viggo interview longer instead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was totally expecting Stephen to kneel in front of Viggo before the interview started.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
That Comic-Con bit was good up until the Jesus part. After that I had to fast forward.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Majorian posted:

I mean, the idea of him playing such a ridiculous character at Comic Con is definitely funny. As is the idea of him trying to pitch a Veggie Tales ripoff. But the rest of that sketch was just not funny, I'm sorry.

I think that's why it didn't air until now. They knew it wasn't great, but they had to run it sometime and there was a hole they needed to fill in the episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just listened to this week's Daily Show Podcast. It had two writers and Michael Che hosting; until the podcast I hadn't realized Michael had to leave TDS for SNL, which is a big shame, since I love his work on TDS so far.

Also, he and one of the writers (also an African American man) had a short "police brutality" off that was hilarious and really depressing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ohhh....Oh Joe....Joe...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So is Che going to outright leave tonight or is he pulling double duty for Lorne Michaels?

e: Well I guess that answers that!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok, this is pretty funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Don't be a stranger, Wyatt!

BigRed0427 posted:

Ohhh....Oh Joe....Joe...

Man, I think that the media has gone a little crazy on the JOE BIDEN'S GAFFES thing in general and painting him as some kind of moron, but yeah... you just can't say poo poo like that, Joe.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Info for this show says tonight's guest is Jessica Chastain. :confused:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Have Stephen's product plugs become even more ridiculously loving blatant in the last couple years, or it is just me?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shepard Smith just does not give a poo poo any more.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

haveblue posted:

Shepard Smith just does not give a poo poo any more.

Neither does Gretchen, apparently!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wh..huh...What is happening!?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BigRed0427 posted:

Wh..huh...What is happening!?

I need to buy some boots.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh God.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like we're playing Floor Is Lava with ISIS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hannity has daddy issues, big shock there.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
To be fair, if there's one person who deserves to be punched in the face...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I did not hear the "punched in the face" bit before.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Well...THat was horrifying.

THAT WAS AWESOME!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 19, 2014

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
this is my favorite thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That sure was a thing I just watched

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
There are no crosswalks in the future!?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

JohnSherman posted:

Have Stephen's product plugs become even more ridiculously loving blatant in the last couple years, or it is just me?

I can't even imagine how any product placement is more blatant than his Doritos sponsored election campaign

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

old dog child posted:

I can't even imagine how any product placement is more blatant than his Doritos sponsored election campaign

Blatant is great, its funny and refreshing compared to attempts at subliminality.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

He's also always been an unabashed Apple shill, if that's what you're referring to.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Colbert was on fire last night, every segment owned.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I kind of wished they used Bill Clinton in their Michael Che sendoff just to really play up the joke of having a huge goodbye for a guy who's tenure on the show can be measured in weeks.

Actually, Bill Clinton's one of those recurring guests Stewart really respects and lets talk with minimal interruption, but I kind of feel like Bill Clinton gives essentially the same interview about global cooperation and whatnot whenever he's on a talk show. I actually find whatever he says on TV these days more and more forgettable. Not that I can really blame him or anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure Jon nearly killed himself doing that joking swipe at Shakespeare's picture.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

JohnSherman posted:

Why don't you chill out with a Bud Light Lime?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does anyone else think Michael Che is taking a step down, at least comedic quality-wise? SNL ain't what it used to be. Plus, The Daily Show does a pretty good job of getting people big, even though there are fewer of them than SNL alumni.

VVV Good point.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Y-Hat posted:

Does anyone else think Michael Che is taking a step down, at least comedic quality-wise? SNL ain't what it used to be. Plus, The Daily Show does a pretty good job of getting people big, even though there are fewer of them than SNL alumni.

Former Weekend Update hosts in recent history are Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon. Each one went on to get their own show, two of which were/are NBC comedy powerhouses and the others are the Tonight Show and Late Night. On TDS you might have a 5 minute segment once a week, maybe once every two weeks. With Weekend Update you get a full guaranteed 10 minutes every week, and you are the main focus.

Its basically less competition, being featured, and in a role that will play to his strengths.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Weekend Update means whoever Lorne Michaels is grooming, for better or for worse. Unfortunately, it seems like all the recent network late night vancancies have already been filled.

(I hate Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

swickles posted:

Former Weekend Update hosts in recent history are Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon. Each one went on to get their own show, two of which were/are NBC comedy powerhouses and the others are the Tonight Show and Late Night. On TDS you might have a 5 minute segment once a week, maybe once every two weeks. With Weekend Update you get a full guaranteed 10 minutes every week, and you are the main focus.

Its basically less competition, being featured, and in a role that will play to his strengths.

Also there's the obvious of being in a TV show on a major network vs. being on basic cable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gangringo posted:

Why don't you chill out with a Bud Light Lime?

Yeah, but that was hilarious. I suppose the only product placement I have really hated was the half hour infomercial for the Great Gatsby. gently caress that episode, and gently caress him for agreeing to it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

JohnSherman posted:

Yeah, but that was hilarious. I suppose the only product placement I have really hated was the half hour infomercial for the Great Gatsby. gently caress that episode, and gently caress him for agreeing to it.

But that episode gave us an excellent LeVar Burton cameo, so I am forced to disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Paper Kaiju posted:

But that episode gave us an excellent LeVar Burton cameo, so I am forced to disagree with you.

That whole part with Carey Mulligan was hilarious.

• Locked thread