Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nope. But if they're going to do something, they might as well go full retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
I'd rather have a sub with 8" guns than an LCS.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Seqenenra posted:

I'd rather have a sub with 8" guns than an LCS.

The LCS will get better by ship #8 I swear.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

The LCS will get better by ship #80 I swear.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
seriously u guys the lcs is good just give it a shot jeez la weez. ok we cuttin it by 20 is that good enuff 4 u?

- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Phew think I may just make it 5 years without going to the Navy ball

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Hey maybe I'll -- wait I have to buy medals for that? Nevermind then.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think they're making it a "requirement" here

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Christoff posted:

NIOC Maryland's used to be Mini-Medals. Those things are expensive as gently caress. Doesn't matter though. At long as you're wearing some medals you won't get hassled because enlisted are going to be enlisted and claim ignorance.

even then, one or two assholes will just show up in ribbons and be like :iamafag:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

I'm aiming for five years without the Navy or HM ball. So far so good.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

please tell me this is real

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MancXVI posted:

Yeah around June 17th. Lots of history/pride/etc. They make it a big loving deal and it's usually a voluntold event. (and mini medals!)

Haven't gone to one yet

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Christoff posted:

Phew think I may just make it 5 years without going to the Navy ball

it's been 18+. Never been and will not. 'They' (whoever is 'making it mandatory' cannot make you buy "optional" uniform items or tickets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think they always make the "You're going or you're on the working party!" threat. But then it's always at a catered venue :shrug:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
It's mandatory shipmates.

Ok if you didn't buy tickets you're on duty tonight

Ok everyone that's not normally on duty can go home

Repeat for 4 years

Rx_dept.txt

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Usually leads to people having to get a hotel room too, which isn't fraternization because the HM2s and HM1s you're cool with drinking with you for the night are working on sailorization.

Also lol at the fact that the CO just put out that NOFFS isn't mandatory for the command after work, but the LPOs have made it mandatory. This is laughable. Apparently it only becomes an actual workout at the higher levels, the ones we're doing aren't even causing us to break a sweat, just looking at each other in confusion because the exercises have you go into weird positions a lot of believe will break you after a while because we're bending in ways we don't think the human body is meant to bend during exercise. The gently caress is this poo poo meant for? Ship life?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

It's mandatory shipmates.

Ok if you didn't buy tickets you're on duty tonight

Ok everyone that's not normally on duty can go home

Repeat for 4 years

Rx_dept.txt

I always just told people I bought tickets from someone else. Nobody ever checked up on it. Then I got out. 6 years - no Navy Ball, no HM Ball, no MC Ball. All of which were at one point 'mandatory.'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you didn't show up to one of the functions you were expected to, you'd get a one on one sit down with the captain the next day typically. If you make an rear end of yourself at one, just a chat with the XO. If you were there for five minutes and bounced out, you'd get a bit of poo poo in the wardroom the next day but ultimately nothing else. If I had enough of a scowl on my face people just ignored me and I could slip out easy, but skipping any dinner events in the admirals backyard was definitely not an option. Heaven forbid if you weren't in loving crisp aloha as well.

I miss driving ships. I don't miss that type of bullshit.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well if you spent your whole life making horrible decisions you'd tell people to be your mando-friend too.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Well if you spent your whole life being making horrible decisions you'd tell people to be your mando-friend too.

During one of my first fitrep debriefs as an officer I was told that I was failing in my officer development because I didn't socialize more with the wardroom.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

During one of my first fitrep debriefs as an officer I was told that I was failing in my officer development because I didn't socialize more with the wardroom.

lol

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I was a Corpsman, there's far too many of us for anybody to care individually on that level.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mr. Nice! posted:

:newlol:

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

what a shitbag, not wanting to spend your very little free time away from the navy pretending to give a gently caress about worktalk and terrible unfunny jokes.
or maybe this is just the fellow swos I know. something about it attracts very particular levels of douche.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Triad relieved on the USS James E Williams

Business Insider posted:

The three top leaders of the guided missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG-95) have been removed and reassigned halfway through the ship's deployment pending the outcome of an investigation into "command climate," the Navy said in a news release Tuesday.

The skipper, Cmdr. Curtis B. Calloway, was relieved at sea by Capt. Anthony L. Simmons, who will take charge of the ship for the rest of the deployment as an investigation moves forward. Calloway, along with Cmdr. Ed Handley, the executive officer, and Command Master Chief Travis Biswell, the top enlisted leader, have been reassigned to staff positions at Naval Surface Force Atlantic.

Other than announcing the high-profile firings and mentioning an investigation, the official word from the Navy offered few details. But as Sam LaGrone notes at the U.S. Naval Institute, the removal of the entire command staff at the same time is quite rare.

The Navy Times offered one possibility as to why:

A Navy official who spoke on background to discuss a sensitive matter said there is a separate investigation being conducted by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service into a liberty incident that occurred in the Sixth Fleet area of operations, but declined to divulge further details.

The Williams left its home port in Norfolk, Virginia, on May 30 for an eight-month deployment in support of U.S. Africa Command.

I would like to think there is a rather pedestrian reason but, another part of me really wants a hosed up reason for this to have happened.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, for a normal change of command, they usually make a big ceremony out of it (at least ashore), where the outgoing and incoming COs read their orders and give speeches and there's cake and all that. What do they do in cases like this? Do it at morning quarters? All hands email? Not say anything and suddenly there's just the deputy commodore up there driving the boat one day?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So, for a normal change of command, they usually make a big ceremony out of it (at least ashore), where the outgoing and incoming COs read their orders and give speeches and there's cake and all that. What do they do in cases like this? Do it at morning quarters? All hands email? Not say anything and suddenly there's just the deputy commodore up there driving the boat one day?

Note it in the log, pass it at quarters that the people were relieved, and then pretend like it didn't happen and go nuts when the spouse association starts posting random details from whatever incident started all of it

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Must have been some shady poo poo reported in the command climate survey would be my guess.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

Note it in the log, pass it at quarters that the people were relieved, and then pretend like it didn't happen and go nuts when the spouse association starts posting random details from whatever incident started all of it

Friend on the Cowpens said the new CO got on the 1MC in the morning and said he was the CO now. This was after Graf.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They didn't do poo poo cept for the CO saying 'bye' on the 1mc and the new CO saying 'Hi' on my boat. Also the CoB quietly left.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

Must have been some shady poo poo reported in the command climate survey would be my guess.

Nope. Sailor suicide. Also the "XO" in the news story in the Navy times is in no way involved. By all accounts JSW is one of the best ships on the waterfront. The report message reads MUCH differently than the Navy Times Article.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If the XO was truly innocent, then they probably would have just accelerated his taking command. There was something that implicated him as well that we're just not seeing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Nope. Sailor suicide. Also the "XO" in the news story in the Navy times is in no way involved. By all accounts JSW is one of the best ships on the waterfront. The report message reads MUCH differently than the Navy Times Article.

How in the gently caress did Enterprise have 2 successful suicides and 2 attempted on deployment and Mewborne not get relieved?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the XO was truly innocent, then they probably would have just accelerated his taking command. There was something that implicated him as well that we're just not seeing.

They're still conducting the investigation and they don't want him on board until it's over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poopkitty posted:

They're still conducting the investigation and they don't want him on board until it's over.

That makes sense.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Nice! posted:

The XO on my boat was passed over for command because of our incident. The whole thing pretty much went down on his watch because the CO was on leave.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I think it's a god drat shame that the Williams' trigraph isn't JEW instead of JSW. Missed opportunity for a good chuckle on various message traffic, imo

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DownByTheWooter posted:

I think it's a god drat shame that the Williams' trigraph isn't JEW instead of JSW. Missed opportunity for a good chuckle on various message traffic, imo

It was a deliberate decision, I assure you.

That didn't stop me from listing them as such on all internal items when we were discussing their TLAM cert though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ded posted:

The XO on my boat was passed over for command because of our incident. The whole thing pretty much went down on his watch because the CO was on leave.

That sucks, especially since the whole thing pretty much falls on the person's coworkers looking for signs and stuff, and even then you can't quite tell if someone's going to kill themselves just by affect alone. Some people keep that poo poo secret, especially when they don't want to be seen as some whiney broke dick just trying to get out of work. CO/XO/CoB probably don't even know the dude(s). I'd imagine if there's places to hide and gently caress there's most certainly places to kill yourself, and hell you have all of the ocean to jump into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

especially when they don't want to be seen as some whiney broke dick just trying to get out of work

This seems like the sort of thing that might result from a poor command climate.

• Locked thread