Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

You should read the Auspol thread in D&D sometime
Brief derail again, because I don't want to jump into the Auspol topic because I'm not even living in Australia, but...

I have an Australian friend who's living on the dole because he has a legitimate mental illness, and under the current regime, not only do they force him to look for work, but they require proof of it, or else they'll cancel his benefits. Plus, it seems now that it's nearly impossible to prove anything but physical disability to apply for benefits all over again. So, either way, he's hosed.

Oh, right, and he's already so strapped for cash, all he can afford for internet is Dodo, which I've heard is poo poo tier. On the plus side, he stands a chance in the Australian demoscene, even if they don't pay him.

Back on topic, I may be interested in what is that, a 970? But only if I can make it work with a Hackintosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're after performance / $, AMD has got that market locked up right now. The 280X, which performs very closely to a GTX770 is in the $240 range all day long. Hopefully this Maxwell launch will bring things back in line, I don't think AMD even has to make anything much cheaper to keep it competitive.

I've had bad experience with their drivers in the past, so I'm hesitant to purchase anything from them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everythingWasBees posted:

I've had bad experience with their drivers in the past, so I'm hesitant to purchase anything from them.

One time I tried to play Rage with my AMD card, and that was the first time I actually cared about the brand of my GPU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don't let this dissuade you. They haven't really had "poo poo" drivers in a long time, and the current batch are really quite solid.

Rage was, what, 2011?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This is a bad reason to swear off an entire brand, but probably why nVidia can get away with selling the GTX 770 for $80 more than the Radeon 280X.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

DrDork posted:

Don't let this dissuade you. They haven't really had "poo poo" drivers in a long time, and the current batch are really quite solid.

Rage was, what, 2011?

I'll give them more thought, then.

That being said, if the listed specs for the 970 are true, would AMD cards still have a clear advantage in terms of price for performance? Because if it's at all comparable to a 780 Ti, that seems like a fantastic value.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 18, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Depends on where you are and how comfortable you are with used cards. If you're in the US, you can still get lifetime-warranty 290X's for <$400, which even with the new NVidia price-points and expected drops in the 7xx cards, will be impossible to even get close to.

I'll be interested to see how the 970/980 performances actually stack up. I think we'll find that the 970 sits somewhere around the 780 level, which will make it a pretty good deal if it is $350, vice the $400 for a 780 right now--still maybe not a "better" deal than the comparable AMD cards, but certainly a whole lot closer than they've been. I doubt that the 970 will top the 780 Ti, though. With it's $550-$600 price right now, I'd look more for the 980 to be the comparable card. Remember, the 9xx series is looking to be a lot more about power efficiency than outright speed, so I doubt we'll see any that really blow the 780 Ti out of the water for a bit.

Really, if you're price-conscious, just get a used 290X.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

DrDork posted:

Depends on where you are and how comfortable you are with used cards. If you're in the US, you can still get lifetime-warranty 290X's for <$400, which even with the new NVidia price-points and expected drops in the 7xx cards, will be impossible to even get close to.

I'll be interested to see how the 970/980 performances actually stack up. I think we'll find that the 970 sits somewhere around the 780 level, which will make it a pretty good deal if it is $350, vice the $400 for a 780 right now--still maybe not a "better" deal than the comparable AMD cards, but certainly a whole lot closer than they've been. I doubt that the 970 will top the 780 Ti, though. With it's $550-$600 price right now, I'd look more for the 980 to be the comparable card. Remember, the 9xx series is looking to be a lot more about power efficiency than outright speed, so I doubt we'll see any that really blow the 780 Ti out of the water for a bit.

Really, if you're price-conscious, just get a used 290X.

What's the likelihood a 970 will be comparable to a 290/780 at 1440p?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Reply hazy, try again later.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Senjuro posted:

It is normal for new cards to have such a small window between official announcement and release? Wouldn't they want to give people some time to plan ahead for what is usually a pretty big expenditure?

Announcing ahead of time will just hurt sales of the present product so it's not really in their interest. The retailers would especially be pissed, since they're probably going to have to discount the last gen too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Effect

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DrDork posted:

Rage was, what, 2011?
Issue was at Rage launch too IIRC. They had it fixed pretty quick.

Comments here seem pretty bizarre to me. I've used AMD hardware for years since I buy purely on bang vs buck and have had few issues with single card stability and performance. CF stability and performance has improved heaps over where it was a few years ago but still has issues that take months to fix if ever. And I'm hardly what I'd consider lucky. My ASUS mobo died recently and I've hard drives fail left and right over the years.

Reliability wise I've had 2 AMD cards die since...2010 or 11'? I flogged the hell out of them doing number crunching for years on end. Both got warrantied without issue.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Reliability wise I've had 2 AMD cards die since...2010 or 11'? I flogged the hell out of them doing number crunching for years on end. Both got warrantied without issue.

Hence why I didn't think twice when I found I could get a 290/290X for like $300-$350.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Holy crap guys, I got black out drunk the other night and apparently bid on an Ebay auction for a second 7850. It's the MSI Twin Frozer OC version, and I "won" it for 91 with free shipping. I already have a HIS 7850, so I must have been thinking "Hey, big performance boost, less than 100 dollars! lol" His auction came with an AMD Never Settle Gold edition bundle, too, with 3 games. So, not the worst drunk decision, BUT...

Best I can tell, two 7850's in crossfire (provided they're 2GB versions), perform near or better than a 7970ghz edition. It's hard to find many benches of it, but that seems to be where it is. At least, at 1920x1200. I'm sure the 3GB memory and greater memory bandwidth would help the 7970/280x at higher resolutions, but I'm fine with 1080p, I've got a big 24" 1080p monitor that I'm totally ok with.

It seems like I would have been smarter to sell my 7850 for hopefully 100, and then ponied up 150 to get a 285. New tech, etc. No crossfire hassles.

I sent the guy a message saying I bid in error and that I'd appreciate it if he'd cancel the transaction, but I may end up with 7850 crossfire if he says no.

Any ideas about how well that would fair for future games? I'm hoping to run Unreal Tournament 4 when it drops, I'm really excited (I've always loved unreal shooters).

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 18, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mad_Lion posted:

Holy crap guys, I got black out drunk the other night and apparently bid on an Ebay auction for a second 7850. It's the MSI Twin Frozer OC version, and I "won" it for 91 with free shipping. I already have a HIS 7850, so I must have been thinking "Hey, big performance boost, less than 100 dollars! lol" His auction came with an AMD Never Settle Gold edition bundle, too, with 3 games. So, not the worst drunk decision, BUT...

Best I can tell, two 7850's in crossfire (provided they're 2GB versions), perform near or better than a 7970ghz edition. It's hard to find many benches of it, but that seems to be where it is. At least, at 1920x1200. I'm sure the 3GB memory and greater memory bandwidth would help the 7970/280x at higher resolutions, but I'm fine with 1080p, I've got a big 24" 1080p monitor that I'm totally ok with.

It seems like I would have been smarter to sell my 7850 for hopefully 100, and then ponied up 150 to get a 285. New tech, etc. No crossfire hassles.

I sent the guy a message saying I bid in error and that I'd appreciate it if he'd cancel the transaction, but I may end up with 7850 crossfire if he says no.

Any ideas about how well that would fair for future games? I'm hoping to run Unreal Tournament 4 when it drops, I'm really excited (I've always loved unreal shooters).

Crossfire prior to the current generation cards was woeful - huge frame latency issues. Even now you'll have a ton of release day glitches. If you end up with two cards and feel like an upgrade I'd try to sell both of them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mad_Lion posted:

Holy crap guys, I got black out drunk the other night and apparently bid on an Ebay auction

Drinking and ebay is a black hole for money.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I got twice the video card for 91 shipped. It won't double my performance, but it's sort of hardcore test of whether crossfire works. Supposedly, it works for DX11. DX10 or less, be disppointed.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't like Crossfire because it isn't a reliable performance gain. So many factors go into it (RAM size, card bandwidth, game compatibility, drivers, glitches, frame latency, additional heat and power consumption). When I used to use Crossfire (with dual 5770s), the performance was great if it worked, but drivers tended to be one step forward, two steps backward. This was about 3 years ago so hopefully the driver issue improved.

There is a surprising number of games without any Crossfire support, and when that happens your 2nd card just sits there unable to do anything. It also doesn't work in windowed mode (must use Fullscreen).

eli4672
Apr 12, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Crossfire prior to the current generation cards was woeful - huge frame latency issues. Even now you'll have a ton of release day glitches. If you end up with two cards and feel like an upgrade I'd try to sell both of them.
This has not been my experience. I successfully prolonged the life of my pinnacle-of-2008/9-technology computer with a second GTX275. When I first added it, I checked the performance difference with a bunch of then-current games and found a pretty consistent 50% to 80% boost. Some games just don't benefit at all, but most seem to benefit substantially.

Sure, you'd never aim for an SLI setup, but I think it is a great way to prolong the life of an older system if you are on a budget. I bought myself an extra year or two with like fifty bucks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eli4672 posted:

This has not been my experience. I successfully prolonged the life of my pinnacle-of-2008/9-technology computer with a second GTX275. When I first added it, I checked the performance difference with a bunch of then-current games and found a pretty consistent 50% to 80% boost. Some games just don't benefit at all, but most seem to benefit substantially.

Sure, you'd never aim for an SLI setup, but I think it is a great way to prolong the life of an older system if you are on a budget. I bought myself an extra year or two with like fifty bucks.

You'll note that I said CROSSFIRE, which refers specifically to dual AMD cards, not SLI, which refers to dual Nvidia cards. SLI works far better than crossfire, having done both.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I rocked sli with bloody Fermi cards of all things, and ignoring noise, it was smooth sailing. I can't remember having a single game not support sli, except for like Minecraft or other stuff where it doesn't matter, so I don't know where that complaint stems :shrug:.

Nvidia even has options in control panel to force "alternate frame rendering sli mode" in unsupported games (which I never needed to use), which basically makes the cards take turns making frames one after the other for a performance boost.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

eli4672 posted:

Raw fps isn't everything though, sli/crossfire vs a single 50% faster GPU is more often than not is like day and night. It's gotten a ton better with Kepler and GCN1.1 (Hawaii crossfire ironically ties or outperforms sli on frame times) but the difference is still noticable and grows larger at lower fps.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Arzachel posted:

Raw fps isn't everything though, sli/crossfire vs a single 50% faster GPU is more often than not is like day and night. It's gotten a ton better with Kepler and GCN1.1 (Hawaii crossfire ironically ties or outperforms sli on frame times) but the difference is still noticable and grows larger at lower fps.

I have such a hard time not talking about dual gpus but I don't think r9 cards have actually surpassed similar sli setups. The problem has just been minor enough to be unnoticeable, however you can still see the core issue still exists

Red line is fat, frame pacing trying to break out and piss you off but its so minor its supposed to be irrelevant

Looks worse, isn't, but imagine those big spikes all of the place and that's what crossfire used to be.

Same

This is a good comparison too, most of the time 780ti's are used which are/were significantly more expensive. Once you get into 4k, 780tis are needed to be comparable for raw fps but the frame time situation is the same. (these graphs are 1440p)

Despite that I agree in general, although perhaps less on the % you give. If a single card performs like ~~~~75% of an SLI setup or (new) crossfire, single card is more pleasant. Subject to change with every generation though. If for instance I was hitting a vram bottleneck with 770 SLI where a 780ti played better when pushed, perhaps 4gb SLI 970's won't have that particular issue.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

If for instance I was hitting a vram bottleneck with 770 SLI where a 780ti played better when pushed, perhaps 4gb SLI 970's won't have that particular issue.

On paper, it looks like the 970 / 980 will be worse than the 780 series at high resolutions just because of the lesser memory bandwidth. As ATI proved with the r9-285, memory compression exists and can overcome narrow buses. We will see.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Twerk from Home posted:

On paper, it looks like the 970 / 980 will be worse than the 780 series at high resolutions just because of the lesser memory bandwidth. As ATI proved with the r9-285, memory compression exists and can overcome narrow buses. We will see.

Yeah. Maybe someone here knows, but is it even possible to have more than a 256 bit bus with 8 physical memory chips? That always seems to be an issue when thinking about memory.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah. Maybe someone here knows, but is it even possible to have more than a 256 bit bus with 8 physical memory chips? That always seems to be an issue when thinking about memory.

Yeah, you could do a 512-bit bus. :unsmigghh:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I have such a hard time not talking about dual gpus but I don't think r9 cards have actually surpassed similar sli setups. The problem has just been minor enough to be unnoticeable, however you can still see the core issue still exists

Red line is fat, frame pacing trying to break out and piss you off but its so minor its supposed to be irrelevant

Looks worse, isn't, but imagine those big spikes all of the place and that's what crossfire used to be.

Same

This is a good comparison too, most of the time 780ti's are used which are/were significantly more expensive. Once you get into 4k, 780tis are needed to be comparable for raw fps but the frame time situation is the same. (these graphs are 1440p)

Despite that I agree in general, although perhaps less on the % you give. If a single card performs like ~~~~75% of an SLI setup or (new) crossfire, single card is more pleasant. Subject to change with every generation though. If for instance I was hitting a vram bottleneck with 770 SLI where a 780ti played better when pushed, perhaps 4gb SLI 970's won't have that particular issue.

Yeah, you're right. Guess the benchmarks I remember were for single card setups.

1gnoirents posted:

Clamshell mode?

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 18, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

1gnoirents posted:

Same

Keep in mind those tests are with the driver that did not have all the frame pacing changes in it yet. I am not sure how 14.1+ test regarding XF frame pacing.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You can check Titan-Z or R9 296X2 reviews for newer comparisons.

AMD's newer cards perform nicely, and I am sure their non-XDMA cards also do well. However, they are still not as good NVIDIA cards on this front. The 295X2 performs admirably compared to the Titan-Z, but is a weaker card and AMD's frame pacing is not as good as NVIDIA's all of which contributes to frame latency. Of course, SLI also have the benefit of working with DX9/10.x games which, to my knowledge, CrossFire XDMA's Frame Pacing does not.

Arzachel probably got the idea that CrossFire performs better than SLI from HardOCP who often states that CF feels smoother than SLI in their subjective observations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Anyone happen to know which AMD manufacturers offer a transferable warranty these days and have good customer service?

I am thinking about buying a card off ebay, but know many Radeon cards have been through a lot of abuse for coin-mining 24/7 until it was no longer profitable. I'd rather get a card with a warranty that stays with the card and not the original purchaser.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Meta Ridley posted:

Anyone happen to know which AMD manufacturers offer a transferable warranty these days and have good customer service?

I am thinking about buying a card off ebay, but know many Radeon cards have been through a lot of abuse for coin-mining 24/7 until it was no longer profitable. I'd rather get a card with a warranty that stays with the card and not the original purchaser.

I've heard that Sapphire is the way to go for AMD cards, with MSI following close behind; Conversely, I'd avoid Powercolor.

43% Burnt
Aug 5, 2004
DID I STUTTER

Ghostpilot posted:

I've heard that Sapphire is the way to go for AMD cards, with MSI following close behind; Conversely, I'd avoid Powercolor.

You want to avoid Sapphire. Their warranty service is non-transferrable and slow as dogshit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Meta Ridley posted:

I post this every two loving pages or so, but Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus are the three AMD card makers which check warranties off of serial number. I just had Gigabyte RMA an old eBay mining R9 290 of mine with a pristine replacement, two-week turnaround.

They are all still a stupid-good value if you troll the eBay listings. I'm currently running two crossfired MSI R9 290x, because I got both on eBay Buy-It-Now for $540 shipped so why the gently caress not?

Edit: Here you go, MSI 280x for $150 shipped each, the caveat is the guy says one/both of the fans don't spin. Just mineral oil the fans and if that doesn't work RMA it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Card-MSI-Radeon-R9-280x-TWIN-FROZR-GAMING-Crossfire-Lit-Coin-Mining-/191332755386

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 18, 2014

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
Would it be better to use a dual link DVI or Displayport if the card makes both available.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

JG_Plissken posted:

Would it be better to use a dual link DVI or Displayport if the card makes both available.

Use displayport whenever you can.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...-faster-r9-290/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Edit: Beaten by seconds.

I know it's videocardz.com but here are some leaked 900 series slides with benchmarks.

http://videocardz.com/52552/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-press-slides-pictures-charts

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If those number are in line, I'd expect the 970 @ $399 and the 980 @ $549 or so. I see an R9-290 on Newegg for $340 right now, so AMD may not have to adjust at all.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

If those number are in line, I'd expect the 970 @ $399 and the 980 @ $549 or so. I see an R9-290 on Newegg for $340 right now, so AMD may not have to adjust at all.

It said in the wccftech article that the 970 would be $329 and 980 $549

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ClassH posted:

It said in the wccftech article that the 970 would be $329 and 980 $549

Now if that's true and the performance specs accurate as well, the 970 is a knockout deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Now if that's true and the performance specs accurate as well, the 970 is a knockout deal.

No idea on the validity but I sure hope it is.