Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
PDS and Aegis both have the same change of making a shield bash, but Aegis is 2d10 instead of 2d6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Really wish they'd give Paladins Tower Shield prof in some way with Vanguard in U23.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Both of the GH raid shields give tower prof, eventually something better than Aegis will come out though and then you're screwed.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Thinking of doing a shuricannon build next life instead of Paladin now...want to see how Vanguard and KotC shake out on live before joining the flavour of the month crowd.

Was thinking of a 12 ranger/6 monk/2 rogue level split (rogue is to allow for trap disarming skills) so I can knock off the ranger PL, using mainly Deepwood Stalker and Ninja Spy enhancements, going full Dex for all the extra throw chances etc.

quote:

code:
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

Level 20 Lawful Good Halfling Male
(6 Monk \ 2 Rogue \ 12 Ranger) 
Hit Points: 276
Spell Points: 325 
BAB: 17\17\22\27\27
Fortitude: 21
Reflex: 34
Will: 18

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
(36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
Strength              6                    10
Dexterity            20                    32
Constitution         14                    19
Intelligence         12                    16
Wisdom               16                    20
Charisma              8                    12

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 2
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 2
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 2
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 2
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 2
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 2
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 6
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Strength used at level 14
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14
+4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 14
+5 Tome of Constitution used at level 18

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                 Base Skills         Modified Skills
Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
Balance               5                    16
Bluff                -1                     1
Concentration         4                    30
Diplomacy            -1                     4
Disable Device        5                    26
Haggle               -1                     1
Heal                  5                    28
Hide                  5                    15
Intimidate           -1                     1
Jump                  2                    21
Listen                3                     7
Move Silently         5                    13
Open Lock             9                    31
Perform              n/a                    n/a
Repair                1                     3
Search                5                    26
Spellcraft            1                     3
Spot                  7                    13
Swim                 -2                     0
Tumble                9                    20
Use Magic Device      3                     5

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Bard
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Shuriken Expertise

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Precision
Feat: (Selected) Quick Draw

Level 4 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 5 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Human
Feat: (Selected) Magical Training
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Ten Thousand Stars

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Master of Forms

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Thrown Weapons

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Grandmaster of Forms

Level 19 (Ranger)

Level 20 (Rogue)

hosed up on the level order in there I'm sure, but needed 6 monk before level 12 so I could take Master of Forms then. Unsure of whether or not I should dump open lock and put the points in to Spot instead.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Why not just go archer?

Did ranger as a Bladeforged monk archer and it went pretty painless, even grabbed a ton of epic PLs because 20-28 was not really a challenge. No idea how well throwers do at low levels all I can say is my wizard thrower Iconic life was pretty poo poo.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Oh? What build did you do? I looked at doing an archer, but the only way it seemed to get lots of doubleshot was to be a pure ranger, and that seemed a little dull I guess. I do have maxed out divine sphere right now, and 3.8 in martial and 3 in primal (so I could easily knock off 3 epic PL's), but I'd rather do something like ETR then Heroic TR rather than have to get to 28 and then choose between Iconic or Epic TRing and sticking with a very similar build all over again.

Unless, of course, the class split lends itself to a large amount of flexibility, in which case I'm more amenable to it :)

Woden
May 6, 2006
12 ranger/6 monk/2 paladin bladeforged. You basically ignore doubleshoot because of the 10k stars and manyshot cooldowns, since you'll have all the twf feats anyway you could just do that while they're on cooldown to recharge adrenalines but I didn't really bother. Found it more effective to zerg ahead or use adrenaline Sniper Shots.

16 str +5 tome +2 level ups
14 dex +5 tome +2 level ups
10 con
8 int
14 wis +3 level ups
14 cha

Think that's right, need that str for OC and dex for Combat Archery. Since you have only +4s in str/dex you'll lose a wis bracket but I don't think that's the end of the world, 10k stars was weak for me too until I got good items to wear at level 26 or so.

For enhancements get recon from BF, Sniper Shot from DWS, passive ki regen from Henshin, DM from KotC and Slayer Arrow/Moonbow from AA. Take some +wisdom where you can, I ignored the elemental arrows from AA as they felt worthless but if you like them go for it.

Feats: PBS, cleave, g cleave, PA, precision, IC ranged, zen archery, 10k stars, spare. I usually took dodge for the spare feat but can go with w/e you want, like maybe quicken.

Could do this as an elf or human but recon, immunities and ridiculous fort were too much of a draw for me.

Morphic Arrows work with Pulverizer so you can have some fun with Blitzing, I much preferred Fury though for the super fast boss beat downs and no silly charge mechanic.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Nothing is as irritating as getting to the end of A Small Problem...and then being Otto's Irresistable Dance'd to death and quest failure. If I had my vanguard tree, my dps would probably be higher and it may not have happened that way!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Haha. I had multiple level drains, and maybe a dance as well? It happened pretty fast, not quite sure what happened. Luckily there was only one dog left and my cleric hireling was able to kill it while Brawnpits tanked it.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
Wait until the new Orchard quests come in. I poked around a little on the test server and apparently Quells are everywhere and my paladin with comically high saves couldn't save against their intercession ability at all and it lasts for like 20 seconds. The repair ability on bladeforged is blocked by intercession BTW. HAVE FUN!

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I don't think intercession has ever had a save, its just not been chain cast constantly and quells were pretty rare.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No, it hasn't had a save, but it certainly should. On the "bright" side the Inferno goggles have Intercession Ward in Epic.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 17, 2014

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
Cool let me just run Inferno a bunch on Epi- ahahahahaha

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Inferno is super easy once you know your way through it. In fact it's one of my go to solo quests in that range

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Update 23 coming at last this Monday. Thank god! I've kinda hit a wall at 12 on my paladin, because my meagre dps is finally too much of a hindrance. Having only autoattack, Divine Sacrifice and Smite as offensive moves makes for really boring gameplay. Really looking forward to this patch, though I had hoped to be a few levels higher before it hit, but poo poo just had to interfere.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Did they end up nerfing items like Boots of the Innocent or will I be ransacking the poo poo out of Vol tomorrow?

Edit: Mabar is dead it seems, going to make a new event in update 25 or something to replace it. :/

Woden fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 28, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup so glad they're replacing Mabar. Only remotely good thing about it was some of the loot when the cap was 20 and the tomes last time. The whole thing was a ridiculous grind and adding a 24 person raid fight was a terrible loving idea even if the raid was kinda okay (in theory anyways). On top of everything being super buggy. Hate the mechanic of having to wait for a server threshold to be hit for the important parts of an event too. Punishes people who can't stay on (or keep logging back on) for hours.

As for the items, I don't think they nerfed any of them really. There's a ton of super good level 28 loot there outside of the raid and some of the raid stuff isn't terrible either.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I kind of ran out of steam once I got to Giant Hold again. I think if the game was more popular, or they were just more Euro players it would be more fun to keep going. It's a shame, because it really is a cool game.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Turbine really should look in to server merges or mass transfers or something. Would help the game immensely I think, but maybe they just aren't capable of doing that for whatever reason.

Woden
May 6, 2006
They can do transfers to Lamannia pretty easily and automagically so they have the ability.

Mergers kind of worry me though, I like the people on Cannith even if there aren't that many regulars left. Getting a whole new crew that could be douche bags would suck.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They've done merges before, there were a ton more servers at launch that got folded into the ones you see today (they got rid of 9 servers). Happened a bit over a year after launch. Cannith was created due to the huge surge we had during F2P launch, giving people a fresh start and room to grow. 5 years later, they probably could benefit from merging the servers. It's a shame they couldn't launch/work with a serverless model, it would have helped and maybe still could help the game grow/sustain.

I mean there's a lot of things that could have been changed (or still changed) that would help the game, but they're not really willing to do that for a variety of reasons. Server merges scare people off and piss off current customers, but so do dead servers. It's a difficult balance and not one I envy them having to deal with. I just wish we never had to deal with servers in the first place. Which also didn't help with the guild at various points too.

Also for anyone curious who didn't poke around on Lamannia about what's coming loot wise tomorrow, there is a list on the wiki. Some seriously fantastic stuff there, especially for Bards/Paladins. And it's bound to account, and they've gotten rid of the N/H/E tiering system, just increasing drop rates on Elite. Hopefully since its BtA the drop rates won't be miserable.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 29, 2014

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, this new Vanguard tree is just awesome. Having so much more fun with it. Plus, my PRR has gone up by about 30 points - even though I'm no longer using Sacred Defence - and the effectiveness of it has gone from 26% to 44%. Loving these changes all round.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
In need for an invite for my WF Sorcerer, name's Infrevacus.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Seems I can't invite you without you being online. Or if there is a way to do it, I don't know what it is.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I already invited him, you can invite offline people via the mailbox for future reference.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Coming changes to healing amp. Short of it they're making it additive not multiplicative, it'll be doubled in value and shown as a rating. This also means we'll get things like healing amp augments. It's a buff to neutral change in values for almost everyone, with a few niche extreme builds getting lowered healing values. Looking forward to it.

Also buried in there is that they want to give Barbarians natural amp, so they're probably going to be the class getting a review pass with U24.

I'm really liking what they're did with the quests in Epic Orchard too, theres a lot more humanoids in them, and less undead, making them more enjoyable for a lot of classes. Also no dumb fire immune shadows in Vol. The air elementals in Inferno are stupid, and the torches should really just be clickable instead of dealing with the dumb light/snuff mechanics. That said I've been enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Haven't played this in a while, so I made a Wizard on the Argonnessen server. Anyone want to buddy up for these low levels?

I've got some TP lying around from when I played LOTRO. Any recommendations for good purchases, assuming I get the expansions at some point?

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012
I'm looking for a "new" MMO to play to occupy some of the free time I have in my job hunt search and I was wondering if this is game is something a new player would be able to start on and not have too much difficulty most likely being the only low level player. I see that D&D online is free on steam so I would start with that and if liked it well enough I could think about buying the expansion (or is the expansion needed?)

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Salmanilla posted:

I'm looking for a "new" MMO to play to occupy some of the free time I have in my job hunt search and I was wondering if this is game is something a new player would be able to start on and not have too much difficulty most likely being the only low level player. I see that D&D online is free on steam so I would start with that and if liked it well enough I could think about buying the expansion (or is the expansion needed?)

Yeah, you should be fine starting out F2P. From what I've read, if you get to around level 8 and find yourself liking it, pick up Menace of the Underdark Standard. If you really like it, you can buy both expansions for $50 from the DDO Market (add Shadowfell to the card and it should show the deal to get MOTU). While I won't be on tonight, if you create your character on the Argonnessen server we can buddy up and quest together.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What packs to buy is going to depend on exactly how much TP you have. I think in general you're best off buying packs that have epic versions as well, so you can get use out of them later on too.

Phiarlan Carnival has some okay loot, some fun and interesting quests, and is level 5 and 20ish.
Three-Barrel Cove is similar
Delera's Tomb is okay, mostly recommended due to some high experience quests and a 5% experience gain trinket.
Attack on Stormreach is a solid mid level pack to help fill out when the F2P quests start getting thinner.
Ruins of Gianthold, Druid's Deep, The High Road, are all great mid-high level packs that also have epic options.

And the Menace standard edition does include the Carnival and Attack, as well as two other okay level 18~ packs.

---

Also we've got upcoming barbarian changes: Frenzied Berserker, Occult Slayer, Ravager.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I got real excited reading those barb changes, but then I realized they are going to get nerfed into the ground probably before they even make it to the test server. That self healing is crazy.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I loved all the people bitching in thread to keep the flavor of barbs and do temp hp, or no healing at all. Melees in this game need better healing options, especially pre-epic, not worse. Also was great when the dev stepped in and specifically noted how Rage disables the healing that most other melees use (Heal scrolls/casting in general). It'll be interesting to see what makes it live. If you can actually play a barbarian solo on EH without sucking down Silver Flame potions or having a healer hireling constantly, that sure would be nice.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The self heals don't look that great to me but I'm probably missing something, like can you stack up the amp from various barb trees to get 500% or something? I mean you still don't get racial recon, scrolls, cocoon, monk Fists of Light, Henshin Mystic staff thingy, castable cures, or Consecration(?). Blood Strength is better than FoL but still meh, Vampiric Bond is cool but still only temp HP and Accelerated Metabolism looks painfully slow by itself. Could go for buffed pots from arti but that's still crappy unless the amp stacks to crazy levels, there is that PL that should help out a fair bit too and I guess Fast Healing from Fury might be ok now too. Not seeing the awesome sauce.

Barbs look pretty interesting now at least and I never thought I'd ever say that, it's no longer press rage, mash cleaves and then run around like an idiot screaming for hjeals or chain chugging pots that only stack 10 high. The strategy of using weapon bond charges looks awesome on paper too, burn resources on heals or damage and the only way to get it back is by hitting stuff(hopefully not the training dummy).

DemonMage posted:

I loved all the people bitching in thread to keep the flavor of barbs and do temp hp, or no healing at all. Melees in this game need better healing options, especially pre-epic, not worse. Also was great when the dev stepped in and specifically noted how Rage disables the healing that most other melees use (Heal scrolls/casting in general). It'll be interesting to see what makes it live. If you can actually play a barbarian solo on EH without sucking down Silver Flame potions or having a healer hireling constantly, that sure would be nice.

"Flavour of Barb" to the people in those threads I skimmed is more DPS than any other class by a large margin and zero self healing and I love that the devs are not falling for it. When we get end game raiding back I really don't want it to be 10 barbs one FvS and one arti affairs again, pallys, fighters and barbs all dishing out similar DPS is awesome.

Woden fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 1, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
Update 25 will be The Temple of Elemental Evil.

U24 will be up on lama this weekend too:

quote:

First up in Update 24 is a new content pack, Heart of Madness. The plane of Xoriat is encroaching on Eberron once again and the result is three dungeons full of Xorian insanity. Both the Lord of Eyes and the Lord of Stone are back, as well as some other fan favorite characters. (Hint – one of the dungeons is named “Fashion Madness.”) The centerpiece of the pack is “Terminal Delirium,” the follow-up to two of our most popular dungeons. Once again you’ll be returning to the Sleeping Spell Inn, and once again you’ll be seeing—and be turned into—some very unusual things. Heart of Madness is CR 18 Heroic/26 Epic, and is a paid pack (450 Turbine Points; free to VIPs of course.)

Also coming in Update 24 is a Forgotten Realms dungeon themed to tie in with Wizards of the Coast’s Tyranny of Dragons storyline. You’ll infiltrate a Cult of the Dragon base while on the trail of the fabled White Dragon mask. “The Mask of Deception” is CR 16 Heroic/30 Epic, and is free to everyone.

Not the biggest fan of those madness quests and still sick of dragons, only 450TP though so should be alright for a run through or two.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I loved Delirium in concept and all of the Xoriat and Flesh crafter quests in general were pretty drat fun and had fun loot. I think some of them could have been balanced better but they had some challenging and still totally doable quests. Acute Delirium on elite is super hard with two people though, you just need to be in too many places at once. And Sane Asylum is great with multiple side objectives and puzzles and good experience, which is one place those quests traditionally lack. lovely experience for the effort required. If they can keep the flavor, aesthetic and wackiness intact while still giving good experience for the time spent I'll be happy.

And yeah I'm sick of dragons too but in glad they're participating in the event. I was a little peeved at the way WotC was showing off Neverwinter and completely ignoring DDO in their lead up stuff.

Kinda strange they pushed the desert quests back so long though. They were originally going to be U23 and now we won't see them until 26 maybe?

[Edit] Oh hey they mention the desert in the actual post. Ah well. I like Shadow fell related quests, they're fun enemies.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oh and this post from forever ago is pretty interesting again, weakest classes in order were bard, paladin, barb, rogue, fighter, cleric, etc. I guess we'll be seeing rogues get buffs to coincide with ToEE, pretty thematic.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

One thing I never liked about that list was highly they ranked Monks. I don't think melee Monks are THAT much higher than other melee in epic levels. Especially handwrap users. Monkchers are super strong single target, no doubt, but they're not that impressive outside of boss fights. But that's a largely fine balance to have. It's just sad it's overshadowing the issues melee/fist Monks have right now.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I can't remember how the survey worded the question, there's no doubt in my mind that monks were the strongest non sorc class but obviously I'm talking about splashing. Evasion was uber and monks own everyone there, 10k stars made monk mandatory for archers that wanted good DPS, monk was mandatory for kenseis, very beneficial to stick builds, monks have a better stun than fighters, had a better insta kill than assassins, access to 100+ PRR, double/triple/quad strike possibilities on tactical or monk melee attacks.

The class was broken, all the strong builds bar sorcs had some levels of monk in them and even sorcs got some benefit from splashing monk.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah monk splash is great. 1-6 levels is fantastic for everything but bards and barbarians (non-lawful). It's the pure/heavy monk melee builds that need looking into. Wraps in particular are terrible. DPS is anemic, the named options are lackluster. Given that they're a monk speciality they should be viable at least, rather than junk compared to staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

U24 is up on Lamannia, Release Notes.

• Locked thread