Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Valicious posted:

but don't you get to order your own triggers?
Yes, but the spell get puts on the stack, then the Enchantment detects that and goes "I'm getting triggered" and the ability goes on the stack right after the spell was played. Ordering your own triggers matters only when other triggers of yours occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mezzanon posted:

Does anybody have that video of guys playing rip n' flip with an Italian legends booster and the first card he hits is mana drain? Because that video convinced me to never even try rip n' flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dD8mWy1ty8

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, rip and flip is how complete fools with too much money decide to wave it in the faces of the proles? Because that is what it sounds like.

Looking forward to the inevitable "It's my money I can spend it how i want" comeback.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Veyrall posted:

So, rip and flip is how complete fools with too much money decide to wave it in the faces of the proles? Because that is what it sounds like.

Looking forward to the inevitable "It's my money I can spend it how i want" comeback.

It is their money, and they can spend it however they want to.

But they are still massive twats for spending it this way though, and you should feel free to judge them for it, and say they are poo poo, because they are.

See, it works both ways!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I've only recently started playing Magic, mostly online, and Khans will be the first release I get to experience as a player. Can't help but be excited, but I had been looking to play some of the online pre-release events, and it seems like it might be moderately expensive based on the amount of cards you get out of it.

Does anyone know what kind of ticket price can I expect to pay for Khans boosters, when they're available on MTGO via traders? The price Wizards offer for the pre-release (20 tickets) is fair I guess compared to their store booster price, and you get to play with the cards a bit early, but for $20/20 tickets you could obviously get a fair amount of boosters for limited draft post-release, or just singles (I know this is massively more cost efficient!).

For M15 packs it seems like 2 tickets is about the average (though I've seen them for 1.25). Not really looking to open them, just to play Limited.

I assume that if I were going to a paper pre-release I'd just be paying for the boosters themselves (maybe with some small buy-in?). Probably not an option though since there's no stores that near to me here in the UK :(

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 18, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Where are you that you don't have a store in the UK?

And with a paper prerelease, you normally pay around £25, but you're gettijg 5 boosters plus seeded pack (retail rrp around £21 there) plus normally you should get prize boosters too.

If I do 1 event, 25 gets me my sealed pool (5 boosters plus seeded pack), a soft drink. a pack of ultra pros, and then at least 2 prize packs for entry, plus 1 additional prize pack per win.

Plus, my LGS will discount entry of you're doing multiple. I essentially got my 4th free. (and I still get the sleeves each time etc.)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

mehall posted:

Where are you that you don't have a store in the UK?

In my experience, this narrows it down to literally anywhere outside London or Manchester. :v:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I pretty much offer to pay a portion of a pack when I am working. This enables me to be the "ripper." So, the other person is gambling to get the good cards of a pack at a discount. I do this once a night out of boredom. It usually draws a crowd and leads to tons of pack sales afterword's.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

In my experience, this narrows it down to literally anywhere outside London or Manchester. :v:

In Scotland, I am aware of shops in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Falkirk, maybe Stirling, and a couple smaller ones around Glasgow areas too.

I think Liverpool also has a store, though I don't know how much of a one, given that the guys running GP Liverpool are the guys who run GP Manchester IIRC.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Vital Signs posted:

Just another Rip n Flip victim at my LGS. So many broken hearts.

Not only is Bob dead, but so are my tables.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sheffield has two decent stores!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Pretty much. I live in Coventry and the magic scene here is pretty dire, though the one is Warwick is very good and I went with the crowd there to GP Manchester. Great bunch of people.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Yeah I'm a bit outside London and in the stix, so the only small hobbyist stores are an hour or so away, and they're not all doing events. At that point I might as well get on a train :) Not quite dedicated/non-terrible enough for that yet, maybe next year.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Not only is Bob dead, but so are my tables.

Requesting this as a new MTG thread name

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Valicious posted:

Just double checking-
I cast divination with Jeskai Ascendency in play. I can choose whether I draw two or resolve the Jeskai trigger first right?
Nope.

Valicious posted:

but don't you get to order your own triggers?
Divination isn't a trigger, it's a spell.

If you had Jeskai Ascendancy and Quiet Contemplation in play and you cast Divination, they both trigger and you get to decide which order the triggers are place on the stack in. But they're both placed on the stack above Divination and they both have to leave the stack before Divination gets a chance to resolve.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mezzanon posted:

Does anybody have that video of guys playing rip n' flip with an Italian legends booster and the first card he hits is mana drain? Because that video convinced me to never even try rip n' flip.

But that's exactly why you play flip it & rip it. And the vast majority of packs are poo poo. It's exactly for those couple of times someone gets a foil skrillex and rips it. Nobody ever remembers the vast majority of poo poo rares that were opened and people didn't decry the wasted money. If anything, whine that the pack wasn't used in a draft, not that it was used to add excitement to a boring scratch ticket.

From my experience it's a spectacle tends to draw a crowd and causes pack sales. Just like pack wars. It helps support the store's legalized gambling to minors if nothing else. I support it for this very reason and because it's incredibly funny when someone gets a $50+ piece of cardboard ripped.

E:So, rip and flip is how complete fools with too much money decide to wave it in the faces of the proles? Because that is what it sounds like.

But this is already what you do when you decide to play wizard poker so I don't see the difference. You are literally setting money on fireballs when you play.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Harmonica posted:

Yeah I'm a bit outside London and in the stix, so the only small hobbyist stores are an hour or so away, and they're not all doing events. At that point I might as well get on a train :) Not quite dedicated/non-terrible enough for that yet, maybe next year.

I find it hard to believe there's absolutely nowhere you can travel to in range. Have you looked on http://locator.wizards.com/

I mean gently caress, the Bristol MTG scene is sorta garbage for such a big city and we still have ~8 prereleases over 3 stores.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

You are literally setting money on fireballs when you play.

Someone make a fireball alter that's just a flaming wad of cash. And change the flavor text to "Not actually a metaphor."

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Someone make a fireball alter that's just a flaming wad of cash. And change the flavor text to "Not actually a metaphor."

New version of Magic: Play a match and the loser has to set fire to their deck. Everything is legal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
And here I was worried that my LGS running pack wars might be falling afoul of gambling laws.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Chill la Chill posted:

But this is already what you do when you decide to play wizard poker so I don't see the difference. You are literally setting money on fireballs when you play.

Except the cards are durable goods with guaranteed value? I know I'm going to get X months of standard play out of my expensive pieces of cardboard.

People doing poo poo like this is crazy, because it implies that they will sacrifice value in exchange for an at-best mediocre story. Would you sit down at a blackjack table if, when you won, it spat a hundred dollar bill into a fire?

I guess if you're an owner and it actually drives sales that's neat, but it's still incredibly weird.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
The problem with straight Rip It & Flip It is the same problem as opening packs instead of drafting with them. Why not play a game with your packs?

Both players have a deck of any format and a booster pack. They both open their packs face-down and shuffle them. This is their life total; they start with 15 life instead of 20. Every life they lose they have to rip a card. If someone gains life, they have to get another booster pack, open it up face-down and shuffle it, then add that many cards to their main life total.

There, now you get the thrill of ripping up cards with the value of having played a game while doing so!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Count Bleck posted:

Requesting this as a new MTG thread name

Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Samael posted:

New version of Magic: Play a match and the loser has to set fire to their deck. Everything is legal.

I forget exactly how, but using un-set cards there's a way to turn every card into a blacker lotus and rip up your opponents deck using mind slaver.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I am all for flippo rippo or whatever. In fact, I am offering a service to make your flaporup much more convenient - for the low price of postage to my house, you can send me all the cards you were going to rip and instead I will rip them for you! Please do not ask for pictures

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

HMS Boromir posted:

Personally I am all for flippo rippo or whatever. In fact, I am offering a service to make your flaporup much more convenient - for the low price of postage to my house, you can send me all the cards you were going to rip and instead I will rip them for you! Please do not ask for pictures

I have 5,000 cards that need ripped. Send me about $30 for postage, and you can rip them and not show me any pictures.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Flip or Rip looks like tons of fun, I'll have to play it sometime.

About as fun, and retarded, as burning money.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

The best part is nobody will be able to read it cuz it's on fire.

Entropic posted:

And here I was worried that my LGS running pack wars might be falling afoul of gambling laws.

Yeah it's weird how it toes the line. I know of a couple stores that survive on it. It covers up for people like me who only draft occasionally and sit on store credit from constructed tournaments to essentially play for free and cash out for toys every now and then.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

About as fun, and retarded, as burning money.

Playing Flip or Rip with 1 pack of Theros will waste less money than opening 3 packs of Theros, and people go through boxes of Theros, and at least this gets entertainment value. On the scale of dumb things to do with a pack, this is worse than just playing Limited but still more entertaining than just cracking the packs and rifling through to see the rare.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Any store that is surviving on flip or rip is a store that should probably go out of business

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
You guys care way to loving much about flip it or rip it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Playing Flip or Rip with 1 pack of Theros will waste less money than opening 3 packs of Theros, and people go through boxes of Theros, and at least this gets entertainment value. On the scale of dumb things to do with a pack, this is worse than just playing Limited but still more entertaining than just cracking the packs and rifling through to see the rare.

No it's not. It's MUCH better to crack it and look for a rare. What the hell is wrong with people? This is just being destructive for the sake of being destructive. There are kids at my store who want to play Magic but can't afford to buy cards. If I saw someone ripping up cards in front of them I would slap them.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

This. I only give a poo poo if people start ripping my cards. I've seen too many people spend too much on dumber things.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

jassi007 posted:

It's one of those things that I can't be completely against ... I've done stupid poo poo like that, including:

Eating a Dissipate in front of my opponent (I drafted it, and he was running blue so I was trying ... to mind trick him? I don't know, I was like 17).

Taking a sharpie to all of my white bordered Birds of Paradise (I had a lot, I got good at it).

... and probably a number of other things people would go WTF at me for.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
It would just stop being a thing if people stopped giving a gently caress. But nope its always HOW COULD YOU DO THAT! and just like Alfred told Master Bruce "Some men just want to see the world burn."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

En Fuego posted:

It's one of those things that I can't be completely against ... I've done stupid poo poo like that, including:

Eating a Dissipate in front of my opponent (I drafted it, and he was running blue so I was trying ... to mind trick him? I don't know, I was like 17).

Taking a sharpie to all of my white bordered Birds of Paradise (I had a lot, I got good at it).

... and probably a number of other things people would go WTF at me for.

I'm not for it or against it. I nothing it. It is attention seeking.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

No it's not. It's MUCH better to crack it and look for a rare. What the hell is wrong with people? This is just being destructive for the sake of being destructive. There are kids at my store who want to play Magic but can't afford to buy cards. If I saw someone ripping up cards in front of them I would slap them.

You are being a big man baby. If something that silly triggers you, seek help.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

When you stop paying attention to people who do things to get attention "Watch me rip up these magic cards maybe I'll rip up something good!" then they'll stop engaging in attention seeking behavior. Source: My 3 year old does the same poo poo. Just last week he ripped a foil 'Goyf. :P

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
just

just give them to like a 12 year old. you'll probably make his day. jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

just

just give them to like a 12 year old. you'll probably make his day. jesus

This.

• Locked thread