Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Genetic Toaster posted:

I really want a Quentin Quire / Captain America team-up book now.

Especially now that Cap is literally an old man with a cane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rick posted:

Scarlett Witch comes in and says "no . . . more . . HOMEWORK!!" and it becomes a Brady Bunch episode where comical things happen because no one does their homework and eventually she has to commit genocide against the Inhumans or something to restore order.

Wanda gets footballed in the face by every mutant in turn

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

Scarlett Witch comes in and says "no . . . more . . HOMEWORK!!" and it becomes a Brady Bunch episode where comical things happen because no one does their homework and eventually she has to commit genocide against the Inhumans or something to restore order.

I'd read that book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rick posted:

They had an issue that explained that homework was the best part of the day

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

bobkatt013 posted:

They had an issue that explained that homework was the best part of the day

What issue was that? I really like the X-Men runs that were about mutant school (Morrison's New X-Men and Aaron's WATXM), not just mutant superheroes who happened to live in a school.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

What issue was that? I really like the X-Men runs that were about mutant school (Morrison's New X-Men and Aaron's WATXM), not just mutant superheroes who happened to live in a school.

It was the end of Aaron's WATXM. One of the issues after Battle of the Atom with two Shield agents who fake being mutants to spy on the school.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Genetic Toaster posted:

I really want a Quentin Quire / Captain America team-up book now.

They did that in an issue of A+X

radlum
May 13, 2013
I really liked Magneto this week, but I just realized that at the death camp, he identifies the corpses as "mutants and inhumans". Besides that one issue of Uncanny X Men and Ms Marvel, is this one of the few references to the inhumans? I thought Marvel failed to make the inhumans a thing, but I liked that somehow Magneto could identify

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Inhumans have existed in comics for like 50 years.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean hell, his son married one and his granddaughter is one. You'd hope he could pick them out of a lineup.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean Mags doesn't exactly spend much time with his kids.

He is kind of a bad father.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How can you tell if a person is mutant or inhuman, anyway?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you are Magneto you have a sixth sense for those things.

Don't think too much about it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I read it as a matter of volume. Mutants are being born again, but are still relatively rare, and Inhumans are way more common than they used to be, so chances are that big pile of corpses has a little of each.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Schneider Heim posted:

Magnets.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

I meant something among those lines. As in, since Marvel was trying to push Inhumans as the new "thing" instead of mutants and then it just went away, save for Ms Marvel, it was weird that they were included with the mutants in the death camp (even as just corpses)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I meant something among those lines. As in, since Marvel was trying to push Inhumans as the new "thing" instead of mutants and then it just went away, save for Ms Marvel, it was weird that they were included with the mutants in the death camp (even as just corpses)

It's not that weird. I mean, Marvel's still trying to make Inhumans the new "thing" (even if they're not in a bunch of tie-in books), and it only makes sense they'd be there. I mean, Red Skull's a fuckin' Nazi and Inhuman is probably an impure gene to him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Inhumans have awoken within the general population, so they might as well be interchangeable from mutants at this point. Generally the rule of thumb is that Inhumans have more abstract powers and are typically more "inhuman" than mutants, though obviously there are exceptions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Forehead forks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Inhumans have shown up in New Warriors too, although that's cancelled so it's maybe not a very good example.

Schneider Heim posted:

It's like gaydar. :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They already canceled New Warriors? :sigh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

They already canceled New Warriors? :sigh:
I believe so, yeah... I'm pretty sure someone posted as much in the General Marvel thread? I think the last issue is November (#12 I guess). It's a shame because it really was a pretty fun book.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

irlZaphod posted:

I believe so, yeah... I'm pretty sure someone posted as much in the General Marvel thread? I think the last issue is November (#12 I guess). It's a shame because it really was a pretty fun book.

I have a feeling that New Warriors are going to become the new Dr. Strange, as insomething that keeps getting pitched that readers just don't care about that much. Despite a pretty good 90s series, the relaunches have been pretty bad. You had a reality show and whatever you want to call the Bandit-led ex-mutants team. This last series was the closest any of the remakes have been to the original series, but it's hamstrung by a calcified fanbase that buys books out of habit instead of any real quality. It's also weird in that it tried to be a teen book but didn't really work out that way. Ms Marvel is a much better teen book at the moment, which really shows the way things have shifted in the last 20 years. It really comes down to the idea that a good teen book is written to be compelling to teenagers, not the 30 year olds that are the core of the current comic audience.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The only reason I've been tempted to read New Warriors is to see what happens with Scarlet Spider :v:. And now they're cancelling that too, poor Caine :smith:.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

The only reason I've been tempted to read New Warriors is to see what happens with Scarlet Spider :v:. And now they're cancelling that too, poor Caine :smith:.

Once Yost stops writing him, I assume Slott will start writing him as a villain. If Yost is on Amazing he should bring Scarlet to the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Him and Spider-man working their would be great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't like New Warriors until the 00s when they stopped trying to take Night Thrasher seriously. Also I didn't know New Warriors was back.

As for Inhuman vs mutant, I know Earth X is pretty far from cannon, but didn't the "Inhumans just had their X gene activated by terrigen mist instead of 'naturally'" make it into the main cannon during the fallout of No More Mutants?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bendis Illuminati series retconned the Beyonder into a mutant that went through terrigenewhatever-itis.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rick posted:

I didn't like New Warriors until the 00s when they stopped trying to take Night Thrasher seriously. Also I didn't know New Warriors was back.

As for Inhuman vs mutant, I know Earth X is pretty far from cannon, but didn't the "Inhumans just had their X gene activated by terrigen mist instead of 'naturally'" make it into the main cannon during the fallout of No More Mutants?

No, the mists transformed every human on the planet into an Inhuman there actually were very few mutants left when Reed started looking for somebody with Cerebro.

I think the mists used to just change people you didn't have to be an Inhuman by birth.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I love the Earth X trilogy, and I realize that makes me a bad person. That said, in the books, if I'm not mistaken, all humans(except the various tribes of bestial humans, like Wolverine(Moon Clan), and Sabertooth(Bear Tribe)), possessed the Celestial seed. Mutants were humans whose seed germinated naturally, everyone else had the potential, but needed some sort of trigger to activate, radioactive spiders, cosmic rays, that whole thing. Terrigenesis was just an on demand trigger developed by the Kree.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I know it's the nature of young X-Men characters to get forgotten and handwaved away, but ... where's Loa these days? Is she showing up in anything at all?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This month's All New X-Factor is pretty great if you're on the fence about it. It's one of those issues where they (try) to have some downtime and just explore a part of the group, with a girl's day at the Ren fair. Danger being socially retarded is awesome.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Ugh I actually preferred Wanda when Bendis crazieafied her, at least she had some agency, all she does in UA is stumble from being the macguffin for one Supervillain's evil scheme to another Supervillain's evil scheme all the while haughtily (and endlessly) repeating her silly retcon.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rick posted:

Night Thrasher was pretty well done when they got away from "black kid on a skateboard" and made him more "Batman who is getting/got screwed over by an evil Alfred". Luckily, that was basically all his appearances in New Warriors vol. 1, though mostly just the first 25 issues when he led the original team. I think the only time the stupid skateboard stuff was shown was in the Thor issue by DeFalco. I've just finished rereading that first run from when I was a kid, and it's surprisingly good for an early 90s comics.

quote:

The only thing that's been brought over from Earth X is the celestial seed thing IIRC. Quicksilver gave people terrigen to reawaken their powers, but it never worked properly, which suggests to me Inhumans are supposed to be something else entirely.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

How many god drat issues can Bendis stretch these stories into?

I mean at least ANXM had some cool Ultimate stuff. But how many times is Bendis going to repeat the "RARGH! I'm pissed at Cyclops!" rant Iceman has been having since the first issue?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Was the last time we saw Exodus he was in the X-Men's Utopia jail? He's clearly not there any more since Danger was controlled by Unit/no one is at Utopia, but how does that lead to him working for S.H.I.E.L.D.? Has he ever done anything other than Brotherhood stuff before? I'm just curious, I really don't know much about him.

Also for New Mutants fans, big life update to Cannonball in today's Avengers, and the Sunspot/Cannonball moments were fun, as they always are in Avengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rkajdi posted:

Night Thrasher was pretty well done when they got away from "black kid on a skateboard" and made him more "Batman who is getting/got screwed over by an evil Alfred". Luckily, that was basically all his appearances in New Warriors vol. 1, though mostly just the first 25 issues when he led the original team. I think the only time the stupid skateboard stuff was shown was in the Thor issue by DeFalco. I've just finished rereading that first run from when I was a kid, and it's surprisingly good for an early 90s comics.

New Warriors v1 was awesome and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. It was focus-group-tested and indulged in more than a few stereotypes but dammit, that book was awesome.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Since when can the Cuckoos go Diamond-mode? I mean, it makes sense that they can, but I don't think we ever saw them discover it. My guess is Bendis assumed they can because Emma can?

And man, talk about your egregious stretching out of a story. That double-page spread with the skeletons? In no universe did that need to take up two pages. So in Uncanny we got 1)Bobby is still pissed. Shut the hell up, Bobby. 2)SHIELD has noticed Matthew Malloy. 3)Triage realizes that his X-team's situation is kinda hosed up. 4)The X-Men fly in their plane and Beast tells them that for real this is the scariest potential enemy ever.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well they had the whole thing with the Phoenix shards being locked in their diamond hearts or something, so a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Diet Poison posted:

4)The X-Men fly in their plane and Beast tells them that for real this is the scariest potential enemy ever.

So it'll probably be the Blob or the Vanisher or Unus the Untouchable or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well they had the whole thing with the Phoenix shards being locked in their diamond hearts or something, so a while.

I hate that that awful mini still keeps being referenced indirectly to this day.

• Locked thread