Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Hearing the people defending the 16GB model is always good for a laugh. How they don't see this as an upsell is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sudo rm -rf posted:

Was it just an in-warranty fix for you? I don't have Applecare+, unfortunately.

I bought the phone first week of October so it was still under primary warranty. They handled it as a normal warranty fix and didn't zap me for one of my two accidental damage strikes. I guess he had to open the phone up anyway to confirm whether the battery was hosed up, so even if I had dropped it or something and popped that out, it wasn't any extra effort to just reseat everything and close the phone back up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So which is the best alternative keyboard so far? And do any of them not have predictive text? I hate that bar in iOS 8, even when minimized.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

I hate that bar in iOS 8, even when minimized.

Same. I wish I could just do without it. Both Swype and SwiftKey seem to have it with no option to remove.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

DanManIt posted:

Hearing the people defending the 16GB model is always good for a laugh. How they don't see this as an upsell is beyond me.

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that it's anything but a naked cashgrab. What's laughable is people thinking that a huge corporation should take a hit on its profit margins for an improvement to their product that will make a tiny fraction of its customers incrementally happier. It's at least tens of millions of dollars of profit at the cost of an insignificant PR hit. They'd be stupid not to try it this way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bird Law posted:

Am I doing something wrong or does Hey Siri only work while plugged in and the screen is on? I was hoping it would work whenever it was plugged in.

You also have to turn it on in settings.

Funny, the first thing I tried is just completely broken. "Hey Siri, what's my next appointment?" and it just says "Checking..." and sits forever. Works fine in normal Siri.

Edit: Submitted a radar on it.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DanManIt posted:

Does it count as defending if said person doesn't have any strong opinions about their phone's storage capacity? Like just about everyone I know with a 16GB iPhone?

I mean I told my mom that Apple was oppressing her with a 16GB 5S and her response was "so?" -- does that mean she has successfully Defended Her Purchase?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 18, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Question Mark Mound posted:

Still trying to get used to SwiftKey but it's severely slowed me down while I check it got my words right. Though I think what bugs me the most is that I can't hold down the keyboard button to get a list of all my keyboards. I can only tap it to go back to normal and then hold it for a list.

Don't spend any time at all looking at the keyboard. Just look at the predictions and hit space to pick the default one (the one in the center). If you let it learn from your social network accounts and email, it'll be right 99% of the time. Just learn to trust the keyboard, let it do its thing, and eventually you'll be typing just a couple of letters and then hitting space to write whole words.

As for the rest, I have a feeling it's a limitation of iOS that third party keyboards can't access the keyboard list. I don't switch keyboards anymore now (it used to annoy me that I had to every time I was writing in another language) so I hadn't even noticed that, but yeah it's annoying. Hopefully this will be addressed in future releases. The whole keyboard thing is still a bit buggy right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, the new mac address randomizer is not playing nice with the network at work.

Who could have predicted that a random hardware address on a network that uses that information to place you into a guest or full access subnet would have issues? :v:

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Does it count as defending if said person doesn't have any strong opinions about their phone's storage capacity? Like just about everyone I know with a 16GB iPhone?

I mean I told my mom that Apple was oppressing her with a 16GB 5S and her response was "so?" -- does that mean she has successfully Defended Her Purchase?

I think the correct response is for us all to march on apple's headquarters. Please invite your mother.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DanManIt posted:

I think the correct response is for us all to march on apple's headquarters. Please invite your mother.

That sounds like work, isn't there a change.org petition I can sign or a video on Upworthy to share on social media?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
can I use this Health app to count calories while I jog? is it that simple?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

You can't use the health app for anything until at least October it seems.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That sounds like work, isn't there a change.org petition I can sign or a video on Upworthy to share on social media?

iDevice Bucket Challenge

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

xilni posted:

You can't use the health app for anything until at least October it seems.

It does work with somethings like the motion chip that is built in the iPhone 5S. It has been counting my steps and mileage today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

HealthKit is just a data store that other apps can put health data in and out of. The Health App is then a barebones interface on top of it that shows some graphs and allows you to enter data manually.

So, you would generally still need a dedicated running app to track you jogging calories.

The promise of HealthKit is more like this: the running app could ask HealthKit for your height and weight to accurately count those calories, without asking you for the data. (HealthKit in turn would get your weight from the Withings scale app.) The running app could then put the exercise calories back into HealthKit and your calorie tracking app like LoseIt could pull them out automatically. You don't have to have many-to-many app integration, just many-to-HealthKit and HealthKit-to-many. Every app has to be updated for that, and all those updates are held up currently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm considering an iPhone this gen, but I'm curious about one thing.

How do they typically compare when it comes to reception? My house is in a weak spot with my carrier. With a Galaxy S4 I got a weak, but useable signal. With my current Nexus 5 I regularly lose signal completely.

I have an IP phone so bad reception at home isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if it could stay connected.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

How do they typically compare when it comes to reception? My house is in a weak spot with my carrier. With a Galaxy S4 I got a weak, but useable signal. With my current Nexus 5 I regularly lose signal completely.

I have an IP phone so bad reception at home isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if it could stay connected.

You can make calls via wi-fi now so the iPhone would be great for you.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

DanManIt posted:

I thought it was to a) keep the price down as low as possible in developing markets like China, India and Brazil, where having the latest phone is more important than having more storage but wages are much lower and b) for next year so that they don't have to retool when they release the 6Ss and need a budget phone offering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh? Is that an OS level feature?

My carrier actually offers free wifi calling through their app but it's not available to corporate accounts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

*with carrier support.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

xzzy posted:

Man, the new mac address randomizer is not playing nice with the network at work.

Who could have predicted that a random hardware address on a network that uses that information to place you into a guest or full access subnet would have issues? :v:

It's only (supposed to be) randomized when it's scanning for networks, not when you actually connect.

Which isn't to say that won't make some equipment freak out. That's a given.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My 6 leather case arrived today. It feels a bit big compared to a 5/5S but I imagine I'll get used to it. Definitely couldn't imagine using a bigger phone one-handed though.

The wake/lock button move was a great decision.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How "tough" is the leather? Is it more flimsy or sturdy?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

*with carrier support.

Ahh, of course.

I don't expect Rogers to support something they want you to use their version of, then.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I got my 6 case yesterday and I'm a little hesitant about how big this is going to be with one hand. Hopefully I'm not prone to dropping the phone trying to balance it with one hand.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

HortonNash posted:

I thought it was to a) keep the price down as low as possible in developing markets like China, India and Brazil, where having the latest phone is more important than having more storage but wages are much lower and b) for next year so that they don't have to retool when they release the 6Ss and need a budget phone offering.

The 4S was the emerging markets budget phone. I believe the 5C is fulfilling that role now, meaning that the old 30-pin adapter is finally dead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The era of one-handed use is over for everyone with medium sized hands or smaller. I have pretty small hands and I can't use my Nexus 5 (same size as iPhone 6) one handed. I don't really miss it at all, it's a good trade off.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

smackfu posted:

HealthKit is just a data store that other apps can put health data in and out of. The Health App is then a barebones interface on top of it that shows some graphs and allows you to enter data manually.

So, you would generally still need a dedicated running app to track you jogging calories.

The promise of HealthKit is more like this: the running app could ask HealthKit for your height and weight to accurately count those calories, without asking you for the data. (HealthKit in turn would get your weight from the Withings scale app.) The running app could then put the exercise calories back into HealthKit and your calorie tracking app like LoseIt could pull them out automatically. You don't have to have many-to-many app integration, just many-to-HealthKit and HealthKit-to-many. Every app has to be updated for that, and all those updates are held up currently.

It's a really good promise and I like it mostly because I already have a Fitbit and Runkeeper to track my steps and runs. Being able to tie all of that information together in a single app would be neat. Also being able to keep a record of your medical tests (cholesterol blood sugar oxygen level etc) on your phone would make it a lot easier to go from doctor to doctor without having to swap charts constantly (an actual problem I have).

Additionally I have a heart condition that I am on medication for. The healthkit app allows you to put a medical emergency card on your lock screen (the emergency dial 911 screen) so that paramedics can see all the medications I am on, my blood type, my condition, plus my doctor and my family contact.

Not trying to be all apple fanboy abut it but I am a major fan of that app right now. (even if it isn't even really working yet)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mr. Fix It posted:

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that it's anything but a naked cashgrab. What's laughable is people thinking that a huge corporation should take a hit on its profit margins for an improvement to their product that will make a tiny fraction of its customers incrementally happier. It's at least tens of millions of dollars of profit at the cost of an insignificant PR hit. They'd be stupid not to try it this way.

I think what's really laughable are the people taking it super-personally. Reasonable people can argue about whether it's a good or bad idea, but it's silly when you get all angry and/or foamy at the mouth about it.

Aphrodite posted:

IIRC anandtech has considered previous iPhones to be one of the best at cellular antenna reception.

If you're in a really bad signal area though, there's only so much the phone can do. You'll probably have to charge a bunch at home and/or use wifi calling if your carrier supports it (tmo US/EE UK only for now iirc).

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

smackfu posted:

You also have to turn it on in settings.

Funny, the first thing I tried is just completely broken. "Hey Siri, what's my next appointment?" and it just says "Checking..." and sits forever. Works fine in normal Siri.

Edit: Submitted a radar on it.

I have Allow Hey Siri toggled on, really weird that my phone won't do this. I just assumed it wasn't part of Hey Siri yet though it did seem really useless if the screen has to be on. I'll restart phone and try again.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any videos out there that go over all the new ios8 features? :kiddo:

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

So which is the best alternative keyboard so far? And do any of them not have predictive text? I hate that bar in iOS 8, even when minimized.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same. I wish I could just do without it. Both Swype and SwiftKey seem to have it with no option to remove.

You can remove that bar completely by holding down the globe key and unchecking "Predictive". I believe it can also be accessed under Keyboard Settings

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Dr. Remulak posted:

You can remove that bar completely by holding down the globe key and unchecking "Predictive". I believe it can also be accessed under Keyboard Settings

Thanks for this. Predictive text means jack poo poo to me considering how fast I type already. There's no time to stop and hunt for what next word my phone thinks I want to type when I'm already thinking and typing way faster than that.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Is it :tinfoil: to be hesitant to give swiftkey access to my gmail account? I am dubious to give a free app that access. What is their revenue stream other then selling my info to marketers?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Dave posted:

Yeah I got my 6 case yesterday and I'm a little hesitant about how big this is going to be with one hand. Hopefully I'm not prone to dropping the phone trying to balance it with one hand.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My 6 leather case arrived today. It feels a bit big compared to a 5/5S but I imagine I'll get used to it. Definitely couldn't imagine using a bigger phone one-handed though.

The wake/lock button move was a great decision.

I've been stewing over which screen size would be the better choice when heading to the ATT store early tomorrow morning. These two responses kind of seal the deal that the 6 is a better choice than the 6 plus.

Can either of you link to which cases you went with to get an idea of how much added bulk it might add?

I'm thinking that the 6 Plus will be the perfect media consumption device for web browsing and watching random videos here and there. I do a lot of that, but I also want a phone that's comfortable to wield in my day-to-day, fit in my pocket, and not look ridiculous holding up in the air to take photos/videos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

Thank you so drat much.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Getting an iPhone 6 with 16GB? Pay just ~15% more to get 400% storage capacity. ($650/16GB -> $750/64GB)

No, it's 50% more since most people buy phones subsidized. Even more in states that charge sales tax on the unsubsidized price.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

FCKGW posted:

No, it's 50% more since most people buy phones subsidized. Even more in states that charge sales tax on the unsubsidized price.

That's a shallow way of looking at the true cost of the phone. If you're buying a subsidized phone, it's actually [subsidized price]+[24*monthly rate]. Tacking on an extra $100 to that is a non-negligible but still very small increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any way to download all songs from iTunes match for a particular playlist? I really don't feel like tapping the download button 200 times. Some googling seems to suggest that there used to be a way to do this in iOS 6 but it was removed for 7 and was never re-added. Any suggestions?

Edit: what the gently caress the button is right at the top of the playlist. How did I miss that?