Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Captain Trips posted:

Her family is Chilean, and they're all either Catolica or Colo Colo fans.

plastics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I was wondering what Caribbean teams had some nice logos and it turns out there's actually a few that don't look terrible!

FC Cienfuegos (Cuba)

This reminded me of one of my favorite English club logos:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The MLS unveiled its new logo:

It's dumb

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's dumb

Wow that is horrible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Phwoar those gradients.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's dumb

No loving way.
edit: Just noticed it has white stars on red just like the goddamn USSF logo. :smithicide:
also they're doing the dumb thing where the logo is changed to each team's colors:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

No loving way.
edit: Just noticed it has white stars on red just like the goddamn USSF logo. :smithicide:
also they're doing the dumb thing where the logo is changed to each team's colors:

why are the badge lines outlined on some crests and not on others

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's dumb

I legitimately thought this was a joke involving some seventh tier South American side's crest. I cannot believe someone was paid thousands and thousands of dollars for this.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Because the MLS is bush league garbage that's basically unwatchable if you've ever seen top-flight leagues

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is basically about the quality of those "what if NFL teams were soccer clubs" things that bad graphic designers post on Reddit, except the MLS decided to actually run with it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

</nevermind>

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's dumb

I cannot believe that is real. You could google image search random words and come up with a better logo.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i assume the outer line is white which will be visible when it's a patch on a non-white shirt

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is basically about the quality of those "what if NFL teams were soccer clubs" things that bad graphic designers post on Reddit, except the MLS decided to actually run with it.

It really is

http://www.footballasfootball.com/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

It's dumb
Meh. I don't give a poo poo. It's not like you're going to see it that much anyway.

Someone did something similar but with uniforms, and they bothered to take the time to come up with area-relevant sponsors for all 32 teams, because there's nothing more important that you need to spend hours and hours on when you're farting around with amateur design ideas in your spare time than corporate synergy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Because some have white on the outside so you can't tell since they Really Thought This Through

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don't think it's that terrible? I mean it's definitely not good but is it really worse than this?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I thought that died when they phased out clipart?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

I don't think it's that terrible? I mean it's definitely not good but is it really worse than this?

I guess I just don't understand why the league's logo needs to be a crest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TheBigAristotle posted:

That's fair, it certainly doesn't need to be badge-ish. I guess it doesn't even convey that this is a soccer league either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gigi Galli posted:

They're both bad, and the "crest" logo is trendy enough that it'll look exactly as dated as this one looks now in 10 years time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

In the mind of American "Sawker Fan" every loving logo needs to be a crest.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Haha that's what's missing, MLS forgot to put a football on the logo-crest. It could very well be a loving manufacturing firm's logo or something, there's nothing that says "sport" about it at all

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Peanut President posted:

That's clever branding, actually. It gives supporters more of a feeling of ownership in the league.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Nostradingus posted:

Haha that's what's missing, MLS forgot to put a football on the logo-crest. It could very well be a loving manufacturing firm's logo or something, there's nothing that says "sport" about it at all

They didn't forget, they very purposefully left it out

quote:

Q: Why have you removed the ball and cleat?

The new brand's design is intended to say "soccer" without the literal ball and cleat. In the end, we decided that the inclusion of a ball and cleat is unnecessary as it dates us very quickly (due to the fast pace of innovation in our game) while many other ways exist to signal we are a soccer league. Our new brand will build meaning over time so that our new crest signifies soccer in North America and has a unique place in global sports.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Sure it's a poo poo logo, but at least it doesn't have the name of a loving bank on it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

And yet god knows how many people over the years have complained about the fact the league has a ball in its crest. Because the last thing you want to do is advertise the sport the teams in your league play.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
What does the stars mean?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CaptainRightful posted:

Sure it's a poo poo logo, but at least it doesn't have the name of a loving bank on it.

I'm sure if the MLS got an offer anywhere near the size of what Barclay's pays, that poo poo would say "Bank of America MLS: The S is for Savings" on the diagonal line in the crest

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

azathosk posted:

What does the stars mean?

Not joking: club, country, community

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

lmao

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

quote:

In the end, we decided that the inclusion of a ball and cleat is unnecessary as it dates us very quickly (due to the fast pace of innovation in our game)

Yes, because cleats and balls will both be passe in a few years, I'm sure.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Are those trophies?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think you'll find that an MLS club has won every MLS trophy. They earned those stars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm blatantly melting down over the crest outlines here, but in the logos that do have outlines, there's often no consistency in the color of the outline. Sometimes it matches the top half, sometimes the bottom half. Like, it's admittedly nitpicking, but it's also part of why this looks like such an unprofessional, in-house job.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
What's with the line that sticks out?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Bobby Digital posted:

It's a kickstand

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Bobby Digital posted:

It's a rat-tail; the 90's are back, bro!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Let's not forget the handy infographic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
And the explanation:

WORDS: MLS stands for Major League Soccer.

SLASH: The slash refers to soccer’s speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the non-stop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a “first half” and “second half.”

STARS: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For Club, For Country, For Community.

PERIMETER: The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play.

FIRST HALF AND SECOND HALF: The first half contains MLS and the three stars. The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

• Locked thread