Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Spinning Robo posted:

Ive tried for years now to get people to play david sirlin's puzzle strike but i just can never get people to. What words do i say to help people realise the truth of sirlin's genius

If you can't get people to just try a game they've never played that you already own so it costs them $0, you need new friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Everything GW has ever produced is horseshit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i wanted to buy carcassone but i made a vow to never pay more than a hundo for a boardgame and no one here in town sells it for less than 110 bucks jfc

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i wanted to buy carcassone but i made a vow to never pay more than a hundo for a boardgame and no one here in town sells it for less than 110 bucks jfc

what wasteland do you live in, it's not that much even in australia

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Broken Loose posted:

board gaming confession: outside of teaching new people how to play, my last game of caylus was almost 2 years ago

God...God dammit, why did it have to be that game :smith:

Seriously though guys Tragedy Looper is the best thing to come out since Archipelago. I'm finding the Looper less and less to be a game of deduction and more and more a tactical card game where information is an asymmetrical resource (bad guy starts with all of it, the more he reveals the weaker is plays will be; vice versa for good guys). Only thing that could be gently caress-ton-amazingest would be if the game figured out a way to procedurally generate scenarios; unfortunately a pure randomizer can lead to unwinnable situations for the good guys. That's okay; making balanced'ish scenarios is surprisingly easy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Spinning Robo posted:

Ive tried for years now to get people to play david sirlin's puzzle strike but i just can never get people to. What words do i say to help people realise the truth of sirlin's genius

i dont know

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scyther posted:

If you can't get people to just try a game they've never played that you already own so it costs them $0, you need new friends.

about half my friends wont play new things, so any time board games come out (whichi s pretty rare) with them it's Agricola, Dominion, or loving scrub garbage like Stone Age or Race for the Galaxy.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Countblanc posted:

about half my friends wont play new things, so any time board games come out (whichi s pretty rare) with them it's Agricola, Dominion, or loving scrub garbage like Stone Age or Race for the Galaxy.

become friends with actual board gamers. profit.

no but really I have like, my "regular" friends who I chill with and I'm lucky if they want to play something deeper than a trick-taking game (though, to be fair, Wizard rules) but I also hit up gaming conventions and game groups and make friends with people who buy all the new games so I don't have to.

And then I end up hanging out with them a shitton and suddenly we go on soccer outings together. everyone needs more friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
But Agircola rules.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

what wasteland do you live in, it's not that much even in australia

lol brazil

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

But Agircola rules.

Countblanc wasn't saying it doesn't, he was saying it's one of the few games they play, along with some garbage (though I actually still do enjoy stone age and race...okay I've not really played much of either for years, but I think I would still be up for playing)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah i love the gric, but i buy games regularly to play with my uni's group and itd be cool to show my older friends something made in the last 5 years. one of them asked to learn Splendor last week so that was cool since i love that game. the weird thing is that they're all really good at games, they just hate learning new stuff - i taught them The Resistance about two years ago and they liked it, and the second I tried to show them Avalon they buckled and made up some weird complaint about how the Assassin means all the strategy of the game is gone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

no but really I have like, my "regular" friends who I chill with and I'm lucky if they want to play something deeper than a trick-taking game (though, to be fair, Wizard rules) but I also hit up gaming conventions and game groups and make friends with people who buy all the new games so I don't have to.

And then I end up hanging out with them a shitton and suddenly we go on soccer outings together. everyone needs more friends.

this is def a pro strat, i do that with local FG stuff, most of the people i play basketball with now are guys i met playing anime games. detroit is cool.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
space hukl is the only gw game that's actually tolerable as a game on its mechanical merits

but it's still a 1990's quality game at best, the modeling aspect actually counts several points against it, the game is blatantly advertised falsely, the price and printing strategy is ludicrous, warhammer fans are the worst, and gw is a poo poo company

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

yeah most of my inner circle are my old castmates from rocky horror and as proper subculture geeks we're all also gamers

then 80% of them moved away either for programmer jobs or to become community liasons for wizards of the coast or whatever, leaving me alone and depressed as i turned 30 with nobody left to board game with

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

yeah i love the gric, but i buy games regularly to play with my uni's group and itd be cool to show my older friends something made in the last 5 years. one of them asked to learn Splendor last week so that was cool since i love that game. the weird thing is that they're all really good at games, they just hate learning new stuff - i taught them The Resistance about two years ago and they liked it, and the second I tried to show them Avalon they buckled and made up some weird complaint about how the Assassin means all the strategy of the game is gone

Oh is Splendor good? I saw it in a SU&SD video where they also reviewed Machi Koro and it looked cool but I didn't see anyone talking about it here.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
want to play the gric now but i am stuck at work

thx guys

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh is Splendor good? I saw it in a SU&SD video where they also reviewed Machi Koro and it looked cool but I didn't see anyone talking about it here.

its one of the few modern su&sd vids that i feel actually captures what happens when you plya the game. people are incredibly quick to pick up the strategy and overall goal since it's so mechanically transparent, and the game makes people incredible dicks in proper eurogame fashion.

though i found out a few days ago that ive been playing it wrong until now - didnt realize there was a cap on the number of chips people could hold. also that the "take 1 chip of 3 different colors" action is still legal if there's only one or two different colors available. those might make the game less cutthroat, but ill have to test it at my group tomorrow.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

inSTAALed posted:

want to play the gric now but i am stuck at work

thx guys

Do you have an iPhone? The app is great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Broken Loose posted:

yeah most of my inner circle are my old castmates from rocky horror and as proper subculture geeks we're all also gamers

then 80% of them moved away either for programmer jobs or to become community liasons for wizards of the coast or whatever, leaving me alone and depressed as i turned 30 with nobody left to board game with

i grew up in a big family with a plentiful supply of avalon hill poo poo so i'm basically set

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

boardgamings been great for me since i moved to the city, but i had a period where i didnt play wargames because my main wargaming buddy moved out the country

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you haven't, post in the LFG thread in TG to find board gamers. I met up with some really cool people through that and the only bad game they like is Cosmic Encounters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Impermanent posted:

If you haven't, post in the LFG thread in TG to find board gamers. I met up with some really cool people through that and the only bad game they like is Cosmic Encounters.
sever

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you have an iPhone? The app is great.

no, android :rip:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Impermanent posted:

yeah sure im gonna take a plane to america to play with us goons yeah haha yeah i'm doing that :rolleye:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

yeah sure im gonna take a plane to america to play with us goons yeah haha yeah i'm doing that :rolleye:
ive put my name in that thread and got contacted in the uk

plutonis just scared people find out hes not an rear end in a top hat irl :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

more like no goons of my country to play with

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

more like no goons of my country to play with

there's at least one brasileiro who posted in tradgames for a while. i'm sure of it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

there's at least one brasileiro who posted in tradgames for a while. i'm sure of it

cyphoderus? only one i recall b/c he commented that on the aborted fatal and friends i made of a local game

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

cyphoderus? only one i recall b/c he commented that on the aborted fatal and friends i made of a local game

that makes two with macunado, but of course that's three people in the fourth, fifth-largest nation in the world

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Broken Loose posted:

space hukl is the only gw game that's actually tolerable as a game on its mechanical merits

but it's still a 1990's quality game at best, the modeling aspect actually counts several points against it, the game is blatantly advertised falsely, the price and printing strategy is ludicrous, warhammer fans are the worst, and gw is a poo poo company

agreed, also that picture is amazing

...ly racist!!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

why does the fitl vassal module have
-all the player aid cards on the side where it's much easier to use the popup
-no zoom setting that lets you see the whole map at once

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

why does the fitl vassal module have
-all the player aid cards on the side where it's much easier to use the popup
because vassal

also poo poo i suddenly really really loving want to play Zendo ie the best deduction game ever

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, cypho is Brazilian

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

id be down with skype stuff tho i already play 13th age with nite crew at fridays

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fellis posted:

agreed, also that picture is amazing

...ly racist!!!

:twisted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

because vassal

also poo poo i suddenly really really loving want to play Zendo ie the best deduction game ever

actually vassal ui question: is there a way to split up a stack of stuff thats on top of each other?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

*makes a game about plantations, uses brown circles as "colonists"*

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

actually vassal ui question: is there a way to split up a stack of stuff thats on top of each other?
double click that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

uhhhh, there's Fit Visible and you can also just choose 'Other...' for the zoom ratio

• Locked thread