Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Collateral Damage posted:

So apparently whoever installed the sensor did so by cutting about 5cm (2") of insulation off the inlet pipe (which carries water at about 6C/42F) and duct taping the sensor to the bare metal, without replacing the insulation. Cue one thermistor shorted out by condensation.

What the bloody gently caress? Hope that installer got fired- hahaha, who am I kidding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think I know who did it, and he quit over a year ago. The sensor was supposed to be waterproof, but I guess not. :v:

There's signs of condensation dripping on the floor below, but it's been very little and never pooled. I'm just gonna replace the sensor and add the missing insulation.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Collateral Damage posted:

The sensor was supposed to be waterproof, but I guess not. :v:

Some people think that "waterproof" translates to, "bring it on, pussy."

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

Behold, gentlemen! The most damaged iPhone I've ever seen.

User claimed it had been dropped from his hand to a concrete floor. When it was delivered to me and I had a chance to see it first-hand I felt obliged to challenge his story. He then amended his tale so that the phone dropped to a concrete floor... and then tumbled down a flight of concrete stairs.

I still don't believe him but there's nowhere left for me to go with this. Hope he enjoys that old iPhone 4 I gave him.

At that point I would have held up my hand and pulled out a tape recorder or video recorder and told him to please repeat that, with the understanding that senior management would be reviewing the incident. Only a loving moron would think that a tumble down some stairs would bend hardened metal like that (or perhaps senior management), and let's not forget the ground-in concrete or asphalt dust on the other side of the case.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I know someone who ran over their phone. It looked exactly like that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm looking up drivers for a laptop, what's the service tag? Hmm..

Truly, a service tag to inspire confidence.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know someone who ran over their phone. It looked exactly like that.

Same, but it was an iPad. :gonk:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Entropic posted:

I'm looking up drivers for a laptop, what's the service tag? Hmm..

Truly, a service tag to inspire confidence.

CEO left his company iPad on the top of his car once. It fell off and got run over, and we didn't find out until it was mailed back to us 3 days later by whoever found it on the road.

Of course by that time we had gone out and grabbed a Surface, an iPad air and a Samsung Tab so he could "see which one he liked best". And of course he still has all 3, plugged in at his desk, collecting dust, while he lugs around the 5 year old Toshiba laptop we are never ever going to replace.
:sigh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antioch posted:

Of course by that time we had gone out and grabbed a Surface, an iPad air and a Samsung Tab so he could "see which one he liked best". And of course he still has all 3, plugged in at his desk, collecting dust, while he lugs around the 5 year old Toshiba laptop we are never ever going to replace.

You have some sort of mythical CEO that actually does work rather than trying to look impressive and trendy while at meetings and on the road?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

My client's iPad was folded in half after it was inadvertently left on the roof of their truck as they were leaving the airport:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Haha wow

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Worst I've had is someone leave a field laptop on top of their car and drive away sending the laptop the concrete.

Surprisingly it was relatively fine. Bless Speck cases. Of course I removed it from field duty and gave it to the person who did it as a reminder of what they did.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

nexxai posted:

My client's iPad was folded in half after it was inadvertently left on the roof of their truck as they were leaving the airport:

Coming in 2015 - the iFold

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I guess I take it for granted that I'm not allowed wifi so I don't have to deal with tablets at all

Also luckily we can only issue blackberrys for remote email access and we lock them down to calls/texts/email only ... It's kind of crappy but oh so wonderful to support!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

At that point I would have held up my hand and pulled out a tape recorder or video recorder and told him to please repeat that, with the understanding that senior management would be reviewing the incident. Only a loving moron would think that a tumble down some stairs would bend hardened metal like that (or perhaps senior management), and let's not forget the ground-in concrete or asphalt dust on the other side of the case.

I actually checked with my new boss (who was here for only the third time) and he didn't want me to pursue it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To be honest it's not really worth your time or the company's time to pursue the people who break their iPhones "accidentally" in completely transparent ways

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

I actually checked with my new boss (who was here for only the third time) and he didn't want me to pursue it.

Well hell, if he's cool with it then let everyone know that management is fine with replacing any/all damaged iPhones with the new 6, and that there will be no questions asked NO MATTER WHAT.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I had a heavy steel can of ammo fall on my ipad from 5 feet above the desk and only scratch the surface. I am suspicious of anyone who "accidentally" annihilates one - those things are surprisingly durable.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
A while back, I had a user who drove a big-rear end truck, with big-rear end, heavy-as-poo poo doors. He got out of the truck one day, his iPhone 4 fell out of his pocket, and apparently it landed in the door frame as it was closing. I wish I had some good pictures, it was pretty impressive how much damage it took. One of the corners was peeled back.

He was super-apologetic, and completely up-front about what happened. It wasn't a huge deal, since he was out of contract by about three months at that point.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A text came in (names cropped out for peace of mind)

I asked someone who can spell better to clarify

It's like trying to decrypt ancient runic tablets. This is also the same person/laptop as this post from last month.

I am not in tech support. I am the small business owner's "son who is good at computers". While I'm certainly willing to take a swing at it, I really don't deal with this bullshit often so delousing Windows isn't among my well-used skills.

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 18, 2014

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
So, been battling with some certificate renewals to a DMZ ISA server.

did it 2 years ago in an hour or so. now the keys are not exportable from the renewed certificate. wtf. ISA wont' accept them, because key.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

angry armadillo posted:

I guess I take it for granted that I'm not allowed wifi so I don't have to deal with tablets at all

Also luckily we can only issue blackberrys for remote email access and we lock them down to calls/texts/email only ... It's kind of crappy but oh so wonderful to support!

Does your company know that RIM is circling the drain and a migration path is a good idea?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

Does your company know that RIM is circling the drain and a migration path is a good idea?

Hasn't RIM been circling the drain for almost a decade now?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RFC2324 posted:

Hasn't RIM been circling the drain for almost a decade now?

Almost a decade? No, not nearly. It's only been the last several years that the writing has been on the wall, at least as far as I've seen. Their failure to react to iOS and then Android was the germ of their problems, but they had a couple of years to fix their mistake, which they steadfastly refused to. Suddenly they got into the position of playing catch-up when they realized that people wouldn't use lovely keyboard phones forever, but it's kind of too late. They definitely had time to fix their problem years after the launch of iOS and Android.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well they did give it a try with BB10, but heh.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
We are being required by a client to have an SOC 2 Type 2 audit/certification done. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions?

The terrible ticket part of this is:
"Can you have this done by next week?"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gerdalti posted:

We are being required by a client to have an SOC 2 Type 2 audit/certification done. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions?

You'll probably have to hire an outside auditing firm.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

m.hache posted:

You'll probably have to hire an outside auditing firm.

It should be pretty expensive as well. I hope someone took that in account before they agreed to the audit.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'd love a recommendation for an Auditing Firm. They all look like scummy legal/accounting firms to me and I just want to say no.

The trick will be getting a quote, and then going back to my people and saying "No, you do not need PII for your task, so stop saying you do, or find $x in the budget."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gerdalti posted:

That is a terribly huge audit project that will take you months...months to complete using an outside firm.

My company has been prepping to do one for over 8 months now, but they are dragging their feet because its so drat expensive.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't imagine a company who requires SOC 2 Type 2 compliancy would be under the impression it could be done in a week.

Maybe ask them why they require that sort of compliance and use another client as an example of why they don't need it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Mustache Ride posted:

That is a terribly huge audit project that will take you months...months to complete using an outside firm.

My company has been prepping to do one for over 8 months now, but they are dragging their feet because its so drat expensive.

Ballpark price? I'm just going to reply back (to my people) "No, an SOC 2 Type 2 audit can take up to a year and be as expensive as X". I just need a number for X.

There are actually 4 companies involved in this, 2 of them have already said no. Apparently this is a client that gets some funding from the federal government, who has strict policies on how that data is handled due to that (at least that's the best I can get from them).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gerdalti posted:

Ballpark price? I'm just going to reply back (to my people) "No, an SOC 2 Type 2 audit can take up to a year and be as expensive as X". I just need a number for X.

There are actually 4 companies involved in this, 2 of them have already said no. Apparently this is a client that gets some funding from the federal government, who has strict policies on how that data is handled due to that (at least that's the best I can get from them).

http://www.trustnetinc.com/Compliance/cost-of-a-soc-report.html

First google post shows low end of 40k high end of 100k+

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

So you are just in the bidding phase of things? No wonder.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Yeah, we're a 75 person business with 1.5 IT people. Sure I like to think I run a tight and secure ship, but this whole thing is ridiculous. I'm just going to take vacation days and hide in the woods until it's over I think.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Yeah, we're a 75 person business with 1.5 IT people. Sure I like to think I run a tight and secure ship, but this whole thing is ridiculous. I'm just going to take vacation days and hide in the woods until it's over I think.

If your company is in the business of bidding on stuff like this and you are going to continue to play this role its probably a good idea for you not to hide out but to get your poo poo together. Treat it as the learning experience that it is.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Re: iPhones and iPads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sickening posted:

If your company is in the business of bidding on stuff like this and you are going to continue to play this role its probably a good idea for you not to hide out but to get your poo poo together. Treat it as the learning experience that it is.

I think this is just a case of "too big for our britches". No one wanted to involve me in any of the actual discussions, and then went "Oh, I'm sure IT can get that done pretty quickly". This is not our typical client, and considering the cost of the SOC 2 Type 2 audit would far exceed (even at the low end) the money the client would pay us over a year, it seems like it's probably not the right choice business wise. All other companies involved how now stated that the requirements are too much and would be unprofitable to implement, which is exactly what I said.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Customer started a freakout at 3 AM and submitted twelve urgent tickets within thirty minutes about how insecure our default shipping firewall configuration is because the first rule when you do 'iptables -L' is 'ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere'. When someone submits an urgent ticket, it flags every support-capable person. We're not a big company, but apparently I'm the only person stupid enough to leave his cell phone next to his bed.

I explain via email, briefly, that this rule governs the loopback interface and without it, internal functions like accessing authentication databases will fail. And all he had to do was run 'iptables -L -v' to see that it is in fact the localhost device. After deleting the eleven redundant tickets for the one I explained. Everything seemed cool, no answer from user, I go back to sleep.

Motherfucker somehow finds my not-listed-on-any-company-directory, we-don't-do-phone-support actual cell phone number and *calls me*, threatening legal action for shipping a grossly negligent product. I think I hung up on him, but I'm not sure. Our CEO just came into my office and asked me to revoke dude's licenses pending whatever legal poo poo is going to happen.

e: For the record, the way this guy was talking Internet Tough, nobody around here thinks real legal action is incoming - "as I explained I have been writting firewall scripts for about 10 years so I know what I am talking about" features prominently in his emails.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 18, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Gerdalti posted:

I think this is just a case of "too big for our britches". No one wanted to involve me in any of the actual discussions, and then went "Oh, I'm sure IT can get that done pretty quickly". This is not our typical client, and considering the cost of the SOC 2 Type 2 audit would far exceed (even at the low end) the money the client would pay us over a year, it seems like it's probably not the right choice business wise. All other companies involved how now stated that the requirements are too much and would be unprofitable to implement, which is exactly what I said.

That was our quandary too. We're a small 30 person eDiscovery/Forensics firm and we're trying to branch off into offering our services to larger corporations that require a SOC2 in order to host their data on our systems. Even though the cost is more than the potential business we have now, I keep trying to tell them that little icon on our website will bring so much business our way.

I thought I had the partners convinced, but they seem to be wavering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

That was our quandary too. We're a small 30 person eDiscovery/Forensics firm and we're trying to branch off into offering our services to larger corporations that require a SOC2 in order to host their data on our systems. Even though the cost is more than the potential business we have now, I keep trying to tell them that little icon on our website will bring so much business our way.

I thought I had the partners convinced, but they seem to be wavering.

Anything that doesn't equal short term profits is hard to sell. I am stuck between thinking that this is just where business shifted to over the years or if its always been this way and I was just naive.

• Locked thread