Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

God, is JJJ going to become Ultimate Punisher?

I would rather us see Ultimate Iron Jonah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Exit Strategy posted:

J. Jonah Jameson: Delivering the news 158 grains at a time.

God, that is a fantastic custom title waiting to happen.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cabbit posted:

God, that is a fantastic custom title waiting to happen.

Fuuuuck, I don't get paid until tomorrow!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So over in the Avenger's thread people wer talking about how great Baron Zemo's portrayal was in Avengers Undercover (that's the sequel series to Avengers Arena, a series that many people hated because it punched them in the kidneys.)

And it was pretty good. Zemo was an OG in this one, sporting a slightly redesigned look (which is pretty full on Fascistic it must be said) but being really compatnent and having an overall goal that wasn't just rule the world but more "smash the system!" He also managed to salvage a lot by the end of the system.

Anyway, I loved this moment from Avengers Undercover #4.

There's a lot to love there, not just that cool speach or how Zemo has his dinner table surrounded with Gold Bullion, just cause.

But my favourite part is where the smart alecy teen heroes try pulling a "what you want us to be super villains and rob banks, that's so lame and old. You're old MAN!" Zemo is completely sincere and honest that they don't have to join his bank robbing or Moon Base divisions. It's the notions that Zemo 100% un-ironically has a Moon Base with a Death Laser, like that's just an expected part of your operation.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

There's a lot to love there, not just that cool speach or how Zemo has his dinner table surrounded with Gold Bullion, just cause.

No, Zemo is trying to recruit the young.

By cornering the world market of Twinkies.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I really ahted the first two issues and dropped it, but those are some good pages.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Question IRL posted:

Zemo is completely sincere and honest that they don't have to join his bank robbing or Moon Base divisions. It's the notions that Zemo 100% un-ironically has a Moon Base with a Death Laser, like that's just an expected part of your operation.

Who handles moon real estate? SWORD?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

No, Zemo is trying to recruit the young.

By cornering the world market of Twinkies.

Spoiler warning. The series ends with a joint task force of Avengers and SHIELD invading his fortress. But this is a part of Zemo's plan. He defeats the army by unleashing his supplies of Hostess Fruit Pies. Honestly, it's a thing of beauty to read.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I imagine some funny jurisdictional issues that could break out over this ala the FBI and CIA.

SWORD Agent 1: Hey HYDRA are building a Death Ray on the Moon, we should do something!

SWORD Agent 2: Forget about it. None of them are aliens, so it's not our job. Just let SHIELD know about it.

(Meanwhile.)

SHIELD Agent 1: Hey HYDRA are building a Death Ray on the Moon, we should do something!

SHIELD Agent 2: Forget about it. They aren't on Earth, they are in space, so it's not our job. Just let SWORD know about it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You phone the Inhumans and tell them they have an infestation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
As the Watcher just sits there watching doing nothing about the assholes ruining his property value.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alas, 'tis the Watcher's pledge not to interfere with the housing market.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I love the idea because it means that it is entirely possible that zemo is next door neighbours with Dracula (who doesnt have a moon laser, instead he has a cannon for shooting vampires at Britain from the moon). Man, the moon would have the most hosed up neighbourhood watch meetings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I love the idea because it means that it is entirely possible that zemo is next door neighbours with Dracula (who doesnt have a moon laser, instead he has a cannon for shooting vampires at Britain from the moon). Man, the moon would have the most hosed up neighbourhood watch meetings.

Uatu is all over this. Well, was.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

When I was a teenager I remember reading a series of X-Men prose novels called the Chaos Engine Trilogy.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2721795-x-men

The plot basically had the X-Men fighting a different villain who uses the Cosmic Cube to take over the Earth. (It starts with Dr. Doom in charge, Magneto swipes the Cube from him, then the Red Skull gets it for the third book.)

I remember reading an extended section where the Red Skull is chilling on his Moonbase waiting to make his move and he basically details all the difficulties in running and crewing a moonbase and how he has to pay the men really high salaries just to get people willing to live in the Moonbase.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Lurdiak posted:

Alas, 'tis the Watcher's pledge not to interfere with the housing market.

This is the line he keeps feeding his wife for why he won't replace the kitchen countertops with nice new granite ones :rolleyes:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Majuju posted:

This is the line he keeps feeding his wife for why he won't replace the kitchen countertops with nice new granite ones :rolleyes:

Right now he is using the excuse he cant see the difference between the two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Uatu is all over this. Well, was.

He has to abstain from all votes, though. Courteously.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Endless Mike posted:

He has to abstain from all votes, though. Courteously.

This is not a thread I expected to see a 1776 reference in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sefer posted:

This is not a thread I expected to see a 1776 reference in.
No one is more badass than John Adams.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No one is more badass than John Adams.

Mr. Feeny :colbert:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Question IRL posted:

When I was a teenager I remember reading a series of X-Men prose novels called the Chaos Engine Trilogy.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2721795-x-men

The plot basically had the X-Men fighting a different villain who uses the Cosmic Cube to take over the Earth. (It starts with Dr. Doom in charge, Magneto swipes the Cube from him, then the Red Skull gets it for the third book.)

I remember reading an extended section where the Red Skull is chilling on his Moonbase waiting to make his move and he basically details all the difficulties in running and crewing a moonbase and how he has to pay the men really high salaries just to get people willing to live in the Moonbase.

On the one hand, I get that what's basically life in a submarine is rough, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that a shitload of people would loving jump at the opportunity to live on the moon. That could practically be HYDRA's recruitment pitch: "Join us, and you get to go to the moon!" I mean, I know I'd sure be tempted.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

KITT :awesomelon:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Lord of Hats posted:

On the one hand, I get that what's basically life in a submarine is rough, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that a shitload of people would loving jump at the opportunity to live on the moon. That could practically be HYDRA's recruitment pitch: "Join us, and you get to go to the moon!" I mean, I know I'd sure be tempted.

A free apartment on the moon? gently caress yeah, I'll join whatever evil thing you want just show me where to sign.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

drat it, that panel just begs the question, "Have they ever tried using the Moon Laser to rob a bank?"

:v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Bravo posted:

drat it, that panel just begs the question, "Have they ever tried using the Moon Laser to rob a bank?"

:v:

How do you think he paid off the invoice on the Moon Laser?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'd rather see a reverse Chairface Chippendale, use your Super Moon Laser to scorch your name into the Earth. Larger writing area, plus can be a level 1 invasion deterrant.

Today, we, the Skrull empire, shall invade the puny planet Earth.

Commander! Look at this!

Let me see..."Property of Baron Zemo"...gently caress, that's clever. OK, pack it in boys! Someone already laid claim to this planet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Question IRL posted:

So over in the Avenger's thread people wer talking about how great Baron Zemo's portrayal was in Avengers Undercover (that's the sequel series to Avengers Arena, a series that many people hated because it punched them in the kidneys.)

And it was pretty good. Zemo was an OG in this one, sporting a slightly redesigned look (which is pretty full on Fascistic it must be said) but being really compatnent and having an overall goal that wasn't just rule the world but more "smash the system!" He also managed to salvage a lot by the end of the system.

Anyway, I loved this moment from Avengers Undercover #4.

But my favourite part is where the smart alecy teen heroes try pulling a "what you want us to be super villains and rob banks, that's so lame and old. You're old MAN!" Zemo is completely sincere and honest that they don't have to join his bank robbing or Moon Base divisions. It's the notions that Zemo 100% un-ironically has a Moon Base with a Death Laser, like that's just an expected part of your operation.

Well, I'll be picking this up now.

The last time I read Zemo he was going on a character building trip through time. Looks like he learned something. That said, this is comics and every single goddamn time someone has extended their hand to a group of young, superpowered people saying, "I just want to make the world better. Help me." things have gone to poo poo in less than half a dozen books when it turns out they're actually making some deadly virus or have planted nukes or some poo poo.

I really want to see a book explore what the world looks like when you work for a supervillain who genuinely believes he's out to do good and things don't immediately turn to poo poo.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Tracula posted:

Has there ever been a time that JJJ hasn't been a complete badass and the #1 best thing about Spider Man?

The one thing I've always wanted to see from a DC/Marvel crossover is JJJ hanging out with Gorden and Alfred. Bonus points if, in an ironic twist, he ends up becoming a die-hard Batman supporter in his rookie years, leaving Spider-man going "WTF? Seriously?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's also such a great take on Zemo, because it plays perfectly into his fascist roots. The co-opted Nietzsche philosophy of "We are demonstrably better than everyone else, therefore we're the ubermensch, and we can do whatever the goddamned hell we want." His line about "evil" is perfect. He sees everyone else as lesser beings, therefore he doesn't really give a gently caress what they call him, it doesn't matter. He simply provides an avenue for exceptional people to do what they want. And what they want just coincidentally happens to involve a lot of bank-robbin' and moon-laserin'. :v:

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
For the first time ever, I am thinking about the logistics of a moon laser. Just the aiming of it. Like, you can't really use it for supervillainy while it is on the dark side, which is half of the year.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

smashpro1 posted:

For the first time ever, I am thinking about the logistics of a moon laser. Just the aiming of it. Like, you can't really use it for supervillainy while it is on the dark side, which is half of the year.

The same side of the moon is always facing the earth.

Also, there is no dark side in the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

smashpro1 posted:

Time to hit the books, buddy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SiKboy posted:

If somebody's got the vampire-cannon pages available, please post them. That was an awesome storyline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SiKboy posted:

The all complain about Uatu watching them and the rest of their families.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

smashpro1 posted:

Look, you don't really need to aim a moon laser. Just shoot it anywhere, blow up some random part of Antarctica and pretend that's where you were aiming the whole time. You just need to let people know you have one and then the rest is bluffing your rear end off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

smashpro1 posted:

The first story arc in the G.I. Joe comic from IDW had Cobra creating a teleport system (like the cartoon!), which included a base on the moon. But luckily, the Joes managed to destroy Cobra's equipment, once and for all!

And the issue ended with a shot of the moon's surface, and of Cobra personnel etching the words "Help Us" in the dust.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Davros1 posted:

The first story arc in the G.I. Joe comic from IDW had Cobra creating a teleport system (like the cartoon!), which included a base on the moon. But luckily, the Joes managed to destroy Cobra's equipment, once and for all!

And the issue ended with a shot of the moon's surface, and of Cobra personnel etching the words "Help Us" in the dust.

:stare: That is some grim poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do villains pay henchmen based on what superhero they're likely to encounter? Like, nobody really wants to fight Spider-man, but mostly he's going to make fun of you and then web you to a telephone pole. On the other hand, if your boss is planning to piss off Frank Castle, he'd better be putting your kids through goddamn Harverd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CzarChasm posted:

I'd rather see a reverse Chairface Chippendale, use your Super Moon Laser to scorch your name into the Earth. Larger writing area, plus can be a level 1 invasion deterrant.

You don't need a laser for that, just a poo poo load of dynamite and a hatred toward NASA.

(from somewhere in Preacher. I'd get an issue number and more pages, but random Google searches on my phone are making that difficult.)