Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really liked Broken Age, I just wish the second act wasn't so far off.

If you've ever played the Amnesia Fortnight games, you can tell that there's a lot of talent at DoubleFine but not every group is going to put out something great. All of the prototypes have great visual design but only some of them are super fun. I mean of course they're game jam games but there's probably only so many really talented game designers to go around. And that goes for their full game projects.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know why anyone expects good things from Double Fine. They're nearly always bad. Seem like nice people though.

I can't think of a single bad game they've made? Nothing amazing in recent years, but the worst they've ever gotten is The Cave, which was merely decent.

Hack N' Slash is really good, and was released to just about zero fanfare, which is pretty sad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Croccers posted:

Roundabout is Outabout!
6GB download.
I'm excited to have my rotating limo just explode from hitting things too often and having a laugh at it. That and all the FMVs. I'm sure that's why the download is so large, FMVs. 90s style, cheesy as gently caress FMVs. Hell, I even hope there's interlacing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How the gently caress does one get the newly-added cards out of Gemini Rue if the Steam client doesn't seem to register me as being in-game when it runs?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Pretty dumb thing for Double Fine to do unless they were seriously bleeding money on the game. They've had a lot of success going the Kickstarter route, and this is just going to poison the well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

Pretty dumb thing for Double Fine to do unless they were seriously bleeding money on the game.

They almost certainly were. As far as I can gather, Double Fine pay slightly above-industry-average wages, and the game barely shifted any units even when they had it on 66% off discount during the last big Steam sale. They really should have run a kickstarter to build up an initial budget and gauge the market, but they didn't, which is sad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I see Endless Legend just left EA. Any opinions on it? The thread here only has one page, so I'm wary.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sober posted:

I'm excited to have my rotating limo just explode from hitting things too often and having a laugh at it. That and all the FMVs. I'm sure that's why the download is so large, FMVs. 90s style, cheesy as gently caress FMVs. Hell, I even hope there's interlacing.

If you got it off their site we should be getting an email with a steam key right?

quote:

I can't think of a single bad game they've made? Nothing amazing in recent years, but the worst they've ever gotten is The Cave, which was merely decent.

I still maintain that Psychonauts was absolute garbage in everything but the art style and script.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

If you got it off their site we should be getting an email with a steam key right?
Yeah check your humble account. I only assume they had a humble widget, but yeah.

And yeah, when the gently caress is Broken Age act 2 supposed to be out? Feels like they are taking forever, I thought they were just finishing production on it. It feels like they are still in pre-production or something.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sober posted:

Yeah check your humble account. I only assume they had a humble widget, but yeah.

Humble account? Uh oh. Hopefully I saved the confirmation email then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pretty sure part 2 of Broken Age is early 2015?

Also Psychonauts is dope, as is Stacking. Stacking was the coolest. I didn't care about The Cave but that other company put out Stick it to the Man which was like a better version of The Cave. Costume Quest was alright.

I still haven't played Brutal Legend but I will some day. I know that's a super divisive title.

As far as artist-driven studios go, Double Fine has a more interesting track record than, say, Telltale, who's been far more up and down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also Psychonauts is dope, as is Stacking. Stacking was the coolest. I didn't care about The Cave but that other company put out Stick it to the Man which was like a better version of The Cave. Costume Quest was alright.

I still haven't played Brutal Legend but I will some day. I know that's a super divisive title.

As far as artist-driven studios go, Double Fine has a more interesting track record than, say, Telltale, who's been far more up and down.

Brutal Legend is at its best driving around the overworld, listing to amazing rock music, hit sweet jumps in your roadster and running over enemies.

The RTS-like battles? Pretty lovely, and usually just some variant of spam X troops, jump in to help, win.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, this bears repeating. Telltale even work exclusively in a single genre, often with a shared engine, and still end up with huge differences in quality between products.

Double Fine at least try to do a little bit of everything, and that's pretty cool.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

RBA Starblade posted:

Humble account? Uh oh. Hopefully I saved the confirmation email then.
If not, you might be able to use Humble's key resender to get the activation key -- I wouldn't know, as I've never used it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dominic White posted:

They almost certainly were. As far as I can gather, Double Fine pay slightly above-industry-average wages, and the game barely shifted any units even when they had it on 66% off discount during the last big Steam sale. They really should have run a kickstarter to build up an initial budget and gauge the market, but they didn't, which is sad.

If that's the case I want to feel bad for them, but they pretty clearly mishandled the game on top of misreading the market for it. Early Access lives and dies on organic development with clear milestones, and that never really formed on this one. I can look at the rockstars of Early Access like Kerbal and Prison Architect and see a clear trail of updates and community engagement, whereas Spacebase has been puttering along without key features the whole time, yet priced as though it has them.

Double Fine has far more resources and liquid funds than indie devs, as well as name recognition and a brand to protect. They have far fewer excuses for this than a couple kids working out of someone's living room. It's a shame too, because I love Double Fine's work, but this can't help but hurt my confidence in them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, this bears repeating. Telltale even work exclusively in a single genre, often with a shared engine, and still end up with huge differences in quality between products.

Double Fine at least try to do a little bit of everything, and that's pretty cool.
Also Telltale is super cheap sometimes and episodes of their series recycle so much content it's ridiculous. It made sense with series like the Strong Bad games, but a series like Sam & Max which is about travelling all around the country, to be in the same place every episode, it was pretty bad (at least the first two seasons).

I'm not particularly looking forward to their Wacky Zany borderlands series.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

What the gently caress Wasteland 2 is coming out tomorrow too? But I can download it now anyway, is that just still the beta/early access version I never played? Not sure if I should just download it now and wait and grab the download for the full version or just wait for tomorrow when they switch it over.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Sober posted:

What the gently caress Wasteland 2 is coming out tomorrow too? But I can download it now anyway, is that just still the beta/early access version I never played? Not sure if I should just download it now and wait and grab the download for the full version or just wait for tomorrow when they switch it over.
If you have the beta downloaded already it will patch up to the full version. So if you want it as fast as possible you should download the beta now.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sober posted:

You get the latest beta build if you download now. Expect it to switch over at 5pm GMT tomorrow.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sober posted:

Yeah, tomorrow the price drops, and the release version is out. You can play the beta now, but why bother?

Eurogamer had some footage of the release version. It looks incredibly Fallout-ish now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivQWTWkWRw

I've been saying for a while that this is Classic RPG Week. We've so far had...

Divinity: Original Sin Update + Free DLC
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Redux
Elminage Gothic (Just released now)

And Wasteland 2 within 12-24 hours. And there's the Age of Wonders 3 expansion out about now if you want your fantasy turn-based combat to be more strategical.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

SelenicMartian posted:

How the gently caress does one get the newly-added cards out of Gemini Rue if the Steam client doesn't seem to register me as being in-game when it runs?

Not having the same issue, I am showing in game (decided would do commentary run while getting cards) and just got first drop so try the usual support steps (restart, clear cache)...

Also it seems Wadjet Eye are carding all their games: The Shiva, Blackwell etcetc.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

I can't wait to hear the weeping and gnashing of teeth when people have to download all 38gb of FFXIII.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They're really hoping to get Broken Age out before the end of 2014 but its still up in the air.

As for their past games, there's also Costume Quest, which is getting a sequel this Halloween, and Trenches/Iron Brigade.

Costume Quest, as simple and repetitive as I found it battle system to be, to be really charming and well worth it and is also a great game for kids. Iron Brigade was also a lot of fun even if I wasn't ever able to get the co-op working properly (and I think it still uses GFWL?)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, Sniper Elite 3 gets a 33% off sale. Twitter never lies.

Edit: Also FFXIII is being sold through GMG, so if you have some Playfire rewards hanging around you can get a nice discount.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store sale

Abyss Odyssey - $9.99
Tomb Raider GOTY - $7.49
Shadowrun Returns - $4.99
Warhammer: Space Marine - $5.99
Metro Last Light Complete - $4.99
Far Cry 3 Deluxe (uPlay) - $7.99
Steamworld Dig - $2.49
Freedom Planet - $12.74
Machinarium - $1.99
Unepic - $3.24
Our Darker Purpose - $3.74
Party of Sin - $0.99
Divinity II Directors Cut - $3.99

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So Heavy Bullets just left early access and added the soundtrack as DLC.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Humble Store sale

Abyss Odyssey - $9.99

Great game. Most of the complaints in reviews have already been addressed. There are more enemies, more bosses, more playable characters and environment tiles now, and there's a big update coming next month that'll apparently be refining some of the core game mechanics like movement and the platforming.

For those who haven't seen it, it's an Ace Team joint (Zeno Clash). Roguelike + Smash Bros + Chilean Folklore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

What is this from?
If we're just posting screenshots can we at least source them?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Drifter posted:

What is this from?
Elminage, I presume.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Drifter posted:

What is this from?

That's from the new Elminage game that came out today - Elminage Gothic. Wizardry style dungeon crawler complete with the ton of rerolling your stats that everyone loves about the genre. :v: There are a few odd things about it, like having to be in town to quit the game, but overall it's seeming pretty decent from the little bit of time I've put in so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Huh. I know some people have said it's a good game, but then I just read a post from Dominic saying that all of Double Fine's games have been great, so his opinion is suspect.

So it plays like Wizardry or Grimrock? Is there a nice story to it, or is it just another pure dungeoncrawl?

Note, I really liked Wizardry 8, but I didn't really like Grimrock at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Does the Final Fantasy IV DS/iOS port on Steam have horrible DRM or anything like that? I love FFIV and really want it but I remember the newer FF7 PC release having some terrible stuff going on.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
So how is Space Marine? I've always been vaguely interested in it, but never got around to playing it. Does the gameplay get stale after a while or do they manage to keep "here's some more guys to kill" fresh?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

Huh. I know some people have said it's a good game, but then I just read a post from Dominic saying that all of Double Fine's games have been great, so his opinion is suspect.

Apparently your eyes are suspect.

Dominic White posted:

Nothing amazing in recent years, but the worst they've ever gotten is The Cave, which was merely decent.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drifter posted:

So it plays like Wizardry or Grimrock? Is there a nice story to it, or is it just another pure dungeoncrawl?

Note, I really liked Wizardry 8, but I didn't really like Grimrock at all.

It plays almost exactly like Wizardry

I captured a Barbarian and now he belongs to me

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Drifter posted:

Wizardry. Relatively few puzzles, you party is entirely your creation, lots of dungeon area to cover, turn based fights. Tons of enemies and gear.

If they've kept the summoner class you can basically take any enemy as an extra party member. Even the ones who themselves have multiple turns and use them to cast attack and healing spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

botany posted:

So how is Space Marine? I've always been vaguely interested in it, but never got around to playing it. Does the gameplay get stale after a while or do they manage to keep "here's some more guys to kill" fresh?

Iirc it's pretty short so it'll probably be fresh. I enjoyed what I played once i figured out how to survive without resorting to cover. Wish you had a jetpack for more than just short sections as its the best thing in that game

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread