Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Okonner posted:

I'm sure Scott & Kulap make good money but multi-millionaires? Is there money in their families or is Earwolf really that succesful?

Um, Scott is on television. If someone points a camera at you, even if for a show on the deepest of cable, from that point on you live a life of unending luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Okonner posted:

I'm sure Scott & Kulap make good money but multi-millionaires? ... is Earwolf really that succesful?

I hope so. They've given me years of free entertainment w/ minimal/funny ads by investing in a highly risky medium.

Far as I'm concerned, let 'em get paid/make docs/whatever.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Urk! posted:

I hope so. They've given me years of free entertainment w/ minimal/funny ads by investing in a highly risky medium.

Far as I'm concerned, let 'em get paid/make docs/whatever.

Agreed. They seem like good people. I wish them all the luck.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

The trend of multi-millionaires using crowdfunding to pay for their pet projects is something that it's legit ok to be upset about.

There's a huge, Grand Canyon-sized difference between the star of a network sitcom that ran 10 seasons and has been in syndication for nearly a decade, and the host of a talk show that airs on a channel offered to most people on like the 3rd or 4th tier of their cable package. I used to work for Tim & Eric's production company that makes CBBTV. It's extremely low-budget.

If you think Aukerman and his wife, a character actress who lands a few roles a year, are multi-millionaires, you crazy. They're doing very well for themselves compared to most people in show business, I'm sure, but they also live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I used to work for Tim & Eric's production company that makes CBBTV.
That's awesome! It's amazing to me how deep Absolutely is in to the comedy world. Them or PFFR have made like every show I have adored over the last 5 years.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

what are yall's favorite Andy Daly eps of I4H? I was looking through old episodes for some with him and I wasn't seeing much that stood out. but also I have a bad memory
DRIVING YELLOW JACKETS

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm gonna have a little sip of water while you're looking that up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah there is no way they're multi-millionaires. And the idea that they are is really loving funny to me.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm gonna have a little sip of water while you're looking that up.

That was awesome and I love how much Matt loved Tim's setup. It was totally telegraphed but that was the funny part.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Yeah there is no way they're multi-millionaires. And the idea that they are is really loving funny to me.

He cut his nose on an oyster while eating an oyster lobster steak dinner.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

soggybagel posted:

It's not out of the realm of possibility considering how much money they are saving with Stamps.com and HostGator

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I like Kulap and Who Charted but her documentary is horribly self absorbed and sounds boring at best.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Eltoasto posted:

In general I agree with you, but I don't think Scotty Aucks is rolling around in a Bentley with all that IFC money. Someone should ask him how much he makes.

But this was before that sweet sweet Bonobos renewal cash, so multi-millionaire is still very feasible.
Billionaire????

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

n8r posted:

I like Kulap and Who Charted but her documentary is horribly self absorbed and sounds boring at best.

I'm really glad there are people who feel the same way as me about this documentary. I'm a huge Earwolf fan but ever since I heard about this documentary and the crowd funding it requires I've been completely turned off.

insideoutsider fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 10, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Good god people, who cares?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Zsinjeh posted:

But this was before that sweet sweet Bonobos renewal cash, so multi-millionaire is still very feasible.
Billionaire????

Even in LA this should be enough to live comfortably without spending literally hours begging Bono for a T-Shirt.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Even in LA this should be enough to live comfortably without spending literally hours begging Bono for a T-Shirt.
It's not a matter of money but a matter of principle at this point. Scott and Scott have put all this time and effort to research and analyze the history of Bono and his band U2 (with additional members The Edge, Adam Clay Two thousand pounds and Larry Mullen Jr). The least Bono could do is send some loving t-shirts

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Think how much more good that money would do upgrading the extremely slow computer Scott was using to look up what instrument Larry... Hold on... One second... Mullen. One second.... Junior plays.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Keven please quit your guerrilla marketing for Kulap's Origin Story in HD.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I'm actually the thing that I don't like, solid play.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
You're making me so mad that I'm going to pay for the Instagram Shout-Out perk

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Someone in the biz, how much would I would've been paid for a speaking roll on CBB (and it seems I would've had to join SAG)?

(after a little more research, this would be an under-5, AFTRA, not SAG, and probably would've been ~$300)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 18, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Does that include those sweet 'sids (residuals)?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I don't know if you have to wait to have more seasons of your show than seasons in the year for those to start coming in.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

insideoutsider posted:

So this means fans are paying for more drawings of Kulap as a superhero?
How DARE this lady want posters and such for her movie!

insideoutsider posted:

A Hollywood actress with ties to a very tight knit community, with plenty of supportive friends in that community, needs 110k to tell the story of how she grew up not knowing her father?
Why should all those musicians, editors, graphic artists and crew members be expected to work for free because they might be friends with her?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ugh im so mad about something that has affected five minutes of my life by having to hear about it a little bit. gently caress!!!!!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Someone in the biz, how much would I would've been paid for a speaking roll on CBB (and it seems I would've had to join SAG)?

(after a little more research, this would be an under-5, AFTRA, not SAG, and probably would've been ~$300)

SAG-AFTRA is the same thing. They merged a few years ago. You'd be paid very little. Less than $500 is my guess. When I was at Abso, CBB was going into its third season and they, like most of their shows. were not a union show (by which I mean all the crew, not just actors).

While you would be eligible to join the SAG-AFTRA for a speaking role, there would be no reason to do so. You would eligible for residuals but your new member dues would dwarf whatever checks you would receive. My mom is a character actress who has been in some of the highest grossing movies of all time and she's received residual checks for literally a penny before. They decrease over time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Earwolfman Jack told me to donate so I'll probably give $10

oh oh awoohhhh

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

quote:

Why should all those musicians, editors, graphic artists and crew members be expected to work for free because they might be friends with her?

I get it, the first rule when it comes to making a movie is to NOT spend your own money. I think it comes off as a self serving project that shouldn't require that much money to produce. Yes, let everybody who helps be paid.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Politicalrancor posted:

ugh im so mad about something that has affected five minutes of my life by having to hear about it a little bit. gently caress!!!!!

Somethingawful.com, where making fun of people for their dumb pet projects (such as a website or what have you) is generally frowned upon.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I should note that while I think Origin Story looks dumb and self indulgent and something that Earwolf people would make fun of if, say, Vince from Entourage made it (he did the same doc 10 years ago), who cares? If people wanna donate, let them. The issue people had with the Veronica Mars and Zach Braff movies were that those were films that would be bought by huge studios and then distributed... And none of the people funding the movie (AKA producers) would reap any profits. Everybody knows Origin Story isn't going to make any money.

And tbh, I'd bet most of the 80k raised has been from show biz friends with $500 here and $2,000 there helping her out instead of John Q. Podcast fan giving his last $10 to Kulap instead of this week's groceries.

If you give $10 to Origin Story, just think of it like your yearly donation to Earwolf. I bought the Who Charted holiday bundle and Howard's latest Summah album because it seemed only right to give them SOME money for all the free entertainment over the years.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 18, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I should note that while I think Origin Story looks dumb and self indulgent and something that Earwolf people would make fun of if, say, Vince from Entourage made it (he did the same doc 10 years ago), who cares? If people wanna donate, let them.

Who's stopping people from donating? People are just making fun of it for looking dumb and self indulgent.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Who's stopping people from donating? People are just making fun of it for looking dumb and self indulgent.

That's literally what I meant. People are SWATting usernames of those who donated.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

SAG-AFTRA is the same thing. They merged a few years ago. You'd be paid very little. Less than $500 is my guess. When I was at Abso, CBB was going into its third season and they, like most of their shows. were not a union show (by which I mean all the crew, not just actors).

While you would be eligible to join the SAG-AFTRA for a speaking role, there would be no reason to do so. You would eligible for residuals but your new member dues would dwarf whatever checks you would receive. My mom is a character actress who has been in some of the highest grossing movies of all time and she's received residual checks for literally a penny before. They decrease over time.
Lol thanks for the explanation, I obviously had no idea about any of it. I saw this on the page "SAG/AFTRA members must be current on dues. Non-union actors must join SAG/AFTRA if they have acted or will act within 30 days of appearing on the show" and assumed wrong things. The actors may be union, but not a union show. Thanks for that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

insideoutsider posted:

I think it comes off as a self serving project that shouldn't require that much money to produce.
Just for shits and giggles, what's an acceptable budget for this movie in your mind?

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Just for shits and giggles, what's an acceptable budget for this movie in your mind?

50k? 75k tops?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How could Auckerman afford those 2000 dollar sunglasses he broke if he wasn't a multimillionaire, hmm?! Hmm!? HRRMPH!?!

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

He purchased an entire second recording studio, werewolf studios, just to record a single Halloween episode. This is absolutely true, and you can check by googling the address which he said on air for some reason: 1122 boogie woogie Ave.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Maybe it was cheap 'cause it was haunted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

And don't even ask about the plumbing...