Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

The Royal Scrub posted:

Turning city founding off has been mentioned here quite a bit. That setting alone kind of neuters the AI.

It neuters them when it's on, or when it's off? I've always preferred playing without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I think a strong suit of the AI is expansion. If they can't found cities then they won't have much going on later in the game. That's what I meant anyways, agree or disagree.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I don't necessarily disagree, since I've never actually played against them with it turned on! I just don't really care for building new cities in 4X games in general.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
You should try it once. I pretty much play the same way with it on or off. I get most of my cities by capturing them. City founding 'on' lets the AI keep up though because they don't really take cities like a player does.

I also play on small/medium maps, so the games don't get ridiculously long trying to take a bunch of AI cities.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The AI works best when it has a good economic base to produce forces and things, so I can well imagine that turning off city founding might hinder it. I'll do some tests to have a look, but we're on the brink of release so it's kind of too late to do anything drastic to improve it.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Gerblyn posted:

The AI works best when it has a good economic base to produce forces and things, so I can well imagine that turning off city founding might hinder it. I'll do some tests to have a look, but we're on the brink of release so it's kind of too late to do anything drastic to improve it.

Just glad you're lookin' at it! Without knowing what the code looks like, I don't feel like it needs to be overhauled, just some behaviors tweaked. Things are definitely moving in the right direction - just in smaller strides than I'd hoped.

This is really my only big bummer in a game I otherwise think is a fine piece of work, for what it's worth.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yet another dev journal up, this one talking up the new neutrals and dwellings.

http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-nagas-other-monsters-of-the-golden-realms/

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Hey Gerblyn, the background for the Age of Wonders webpage makes articles rather hard to read. Like, I can only make out text easily if it's in the top third of the screen, where the clouds are. The city in the middle is difficult to make out, and the dark area at the bottom with the army and the trees is litterally unreadable for me.

Could you ask the person/people responsible for your webpage to look into that, or something? It's kinda a hassle to only be able to read a third of the screen at a time.

While I'm here, allow me to say that I appreciate the effort you've spent to keep in touch with the community here at SA. The attention you spend has done a lot to convince me that you and the rest of Triumph are pretty good about listening to your fans, without becoming doormats or anything :). When I finally upgrade/replace my old clunker later this fall, that'll be one of the reasons I buy AoW 3.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Space Hamlet posted:

Just glad you're lookin' at it! Without knowing what the code looks like, I don't feel like it needs to be overhauled, just some behaviors tweaked. Things are definitely moving in the right direction - just in smaller strides than I'd hoped.

This is really my only big bummer in a game I otherwise think is a fine piece of work, for what it's worth.

I've been thinking about it, it might be as simple as the AI wasting resources clearing goldmines and things as if it could plant cities on them, when in reality it can't. Strategic AI isn't really my thing though, you can blame me when autocombat suicides your swarm darter into a berserker or something though!

Caustic Soda posted:

Hey Gerblyn, the background for the Age of Wonders webpage makes articles rather hard to read. Like, I can only make out text easily if it's in the top third of the screen, where the clouds are. The city in the middle is difficult to make out, and the dark area at the bottom with the army and the trees is litterally unreadable for me.

Are you seeing text directly on the background image? There should be a sort of tan coloured background to make the text clear:

It sounds like something's gone wrong with your browser? Or our website doesn't like your browser... Which one are you using?

And you're welcome :)

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Gerblyn posted:

I've been thinking about it, it might be as simple as the AI wasting resources clearing goldmines and things as if it could plant cities on them, when in reality it can't. Strategic AI isn't really my thing though, you can blame me when autocombat suicides your swarm darter into a berserker or something though!

That might be good thinkin' for improving the AI with founding switched off, but Owlsley was playing with it turned on, and he still encountered the very passive AI - he even tells me that the AI had built a lot of settlers but didn't do anything with them, seemingly because they were afraid of his armies. I'm pretty sure the base of the AI's weakness is that it isn't very willing to switch defending stacks to offense mode when it should see an opportunity to do so. Its big defensive garrisons ultimately just waste its money.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

That might be good thinkin' for improving the AI with founding switched off, but Owlsley was playing with it turned on, and he still encountered the very passive AI - he even tells me that the AI had built a lot of settlers but didn't do anything with them, seemingly because they were afraid of his armies. I'm pretty sure the base of the AI's weakness is that it isn't very willing to switch defending stacks to offense mode when it should see an opportunity to do so. Its big defensive garrisons ultimately just waste its money.

Not just that, but I think in a lot of cases the AI would be better served engaging in field battles then sieges anyways. The tactical combat for Sieges has improved and all, but it's still generally easier to lame out the AI in a siege situation rather then a field battle where inevitably one of your flanks get sandwiched by AI stacks while the rest of your forces spend two turns just trying to get into range to support.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Are you seeing text directly on the background image? There should be a sort of tan coloured background to make the text clear:

It sounds like something's gone wrong with your browser? Or our website doesn't like your browser... Which one are you using?

And you're welcome :)

The problem was on my end, turns out. I was running Opera, which I thought was set to auto-update. Nope. I just went from running Opera 12.17 to Opera 24.0! :blush: Works fine now. Welp, that's certainly a faster fix than if the problem had been on your end :). Thanks anyway.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Space Hamlet posted:

I think, in the end, you might just want to turn up the difficulty level. I just tested 1vs1 emperor on a small, RMG map, and it seemed quite aggressive, retaking cities that I was taking and things like that. I've also gotten other people in the office play against emperor level AIs in various configurations and so far, everyone has lost (except me :smug:)

There are obviously still issues, and I am seeing evidence of the kind of thing you're talking about though. Hopefully we can keep finding ways of improving it!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Presumably the final dev journal up, this time discussing Halflings in detail.

http://ageofwonders.com/all-about-the-halflings/

I keep trying to buy this game on Steam and you'll are making me wait. :(

Edit: Rabbit Burrows!

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 17, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

throw chicken op pls neft

Seriously though that is the best skill.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I am so excited to murder all the Halflings! :black101:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Of course Steam pushes the release of Golden Realms back another hour just to mess with me. Patience...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Darkrenown posted:

I am so excited to murder all the Halflings! :black101:

quotin dis

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think when this game comes out I'm just gonna halfling warlord it up all day every day.

Halfling supremacy itt

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Delacroix posted:

It's an interesting blend 4X mechanics that comes together rather well. It has hexes, tile output and resources like civ but it has tactical combat and seasons. Each race only has a few unit designs (there are minor races to assimilate) but you're supposed to gear them up like fallen enchantress. Tech tree is grouped into circles where you only need a few to progress to the next era.

Graphic wise it's a really vibrant game, tiles changing between new seasons is great eyecandy. The UI could use extra polish though, a city screen would be nice. Overall EL will probably get unfavourable comparisons to civ (like AoW3) despite the latter having a tactical complexity of a pool noodle.

On that note I feel like it would be thematically fitting to have sun sacrifice to ignore winter in your domain or be able to inflict weather events like frog rains in EL. That might be the side-effects of dominions on my brain however. :tinfoil:

Neat. If anyone has anymore Endless Legend experience to share please do! :haw:

Arrrthritis posted:

I think when this game comes out I'm just gonna halfling warlord it up all day every day.

Halfling supremacy itt

Be a halfling warlord, kill all the other halflings! Its maximizing the halfling slaughter! :black101:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Golden Realms is out on both Steam and GoG! And it's only $9.59 right now as well.

Base AOW3 is also on sale on Steam for half off, but not on GoG it seems.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Just got the expansion. Tried to launch it and its telling me my password is invalid. This is impossible since I haven't changed it. I'm guessing they're having server issues or something?

edit: Yeah it's asking me to update the game now. Nevermind. FLING RAMPAGE

a!n fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I got copies for a bunch of friends, time for halfling murder!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the GoG version seems to be a clusterfuck right now, there's no patch download and the expansion installer says it can't find the base game. It might work to uninstall the base game then download the latest base game installer and then install the expansion ...

Edit: Wow amazing, the new version even broke the old installers for the preorder DLC. All the bandwidth issues of Steam but with absolutely none of the convenience, thanks GoG.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 18, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's time!

Hahahaha. Boot up the new campaign, Halfling Warlord, right off the bat.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone have more in-depth information on the new Partisan specializion, Wild magic, or non-halfing and Naga units for those of us stuck at work?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$10?? That's fantastic. Gonna put together my old desktop because my laptop wants to overheat after 5 minutes playing this.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I am the worst Halfling Warlord. The worst. After many amazing military blunders, the only survivor of my starting stack is a grizzled gold medal Monster Hunter. I churned out a full stack of replacement Monster Hunters and put him in charge of training them.

Adventurers are also really good for militia units. Love those little guys.

quote:

Anyone have more in-depth information on the new Partisan specializion, Wild magic, or non-halfing and Naga units for those of us stuck at work?

My starting town can build a stable that gives me awesomely buffed Cav units, and a graveyard that I think is supposed to raise random undead units to replace my losses in siege battles?

Also there's a ton of new items. Devs said there were 55, I've already seen a quiver (shield slot) that gives me +2 blight damage on ranged attacks and a pendant that adds dazzle to melee attacks.

Also also poop throwing monkeys are assholes, especially against Halflings. They stink you all up and no one wants to dodge anymore. The sparkling clovers effect on Lucky triggering is kinda hilarious.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah the GoG version seems to be a clusterfuck right now, there's no patch download and the expansion installer says it can't find the base game. It might work to uninstall the base game then download the latest base game installer and then install the expansion ...

I don't have access myself cos I'm at home, but someone on our forums posted this:

quote:

1. Uninstall AoW3 (I copied all my saves in my Profile folder at Documents/My Games/AoW3 first)

2. Download AoW3 installer from GoG (about 1.6GBs) & do fresh install.

3. Download Golden Realms installer (and any additional content e.g. bonus from Deluxe edition) and install.

I hope it works for you!

madmac posted:

I am the worst Halfling Warlord. The worst. After many amazing military blunders, the only survivor of my starting stack is a grizzled gold medal Monster Hunter. I churned out a full stack of replacement Monster Hunters and put him in charge of training them.

Build a city near an ancient ruins, and get the Pillar Of The Syglites, or whatever it's called. It'll let you build high powered Phalanxes which can murder just about everything :)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

I don't have access myself cos I'm at home, but someone on our forums posted this:

Yeah I tried that and it seems to have worked. It's kind of annoying though, why wasn't there just a 1.3->1.4 patch?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Impermanent posted:

Partisan has 5 skills:

Folk Hero
Tier I Empire Upgrade
Units at Inns are 25% cheaper, Independent cities are 10% cheaper.

Guerrilla Tactics
Tier 2 Empire Upgrade
Irregular and Infantry units gain the Guerrilla ability (Guerrilla means the unit doesn't lose move points when running from a combat). In addition when you flee from a combat you don't get the morale penalty for losing.

Hide Out
Tier 2 Strategic Spell
All friendly units in target city's domain are Invisible.
60 mana cost, 20 mana per turn

War Anthem
Tier 3 Combat Spell
All enemy units must resist a 11 Resistance check or suffer -500 Morale.
30 mana

Partisan Army
Tier 4 Empire Upgrade
Your units gain the Partisan ability. Units with Partisan gain Wetlands, Mountain, and Forest concealment when it's the only unit in the army.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Build a city near an ancient ruins, and get the Pillar Of The Syglites, or whatever it's called. It'll let you build high powered Phalanxes which can murder just about everything :)

I might have to try that. For as little attention as they got during the previews and such, I have a feeling the new rare buildings are going to have a pretty large impact on the game, they all seem amazingly good.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I tried that and it seems to have worked. It's kind of annoying though, why wasn't there just a 1.3->1.4 patch?

I have no clue I'm afraid, I'm just a programmer!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

I might have to try that. For as little attention as they got during the previews and such, I have a feeling the new rare buildings are going to have a pretty large impact on the game, they all seem amazingly good.

They're pretty awesome, and warlord is in the best place to take advantage of them. I was playing a test game today, and I think I had a city upgrade for almost every unit I was building.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Here's Wild Magic while I'm at it:

Wild Magic Adept

Warp Equipment
Tier 1 Combat Spell
Equipped Units and Machines within a 2 Hex radius around the target suffer -2 Defense and -2 Strength until end of combat.
20 mana

Swap Locations
Tier 2 Combat Spell
Target unit trades places with a random unit of the same tier owned by another player on the other side of the battle. Units climbing on walls cannot swap locations.
20 mana

Summon Lesser Elemental
Tier 3 Strategic Spell
A lesser elemental is summoned to the target location.
120 mana, 12 mana per turn

Degenerate
Tier 4 Combat Spell
Target unit gains 60% weakness to all damage types until the end of the battle.
15 mana

Wild Magic Master

Spontaneous Mutation
Tier 4 Combat Spell
Gives 2 mostly positive random mutations to every friendly living unit until the end of the battle.
25 mana

Warp Domain
Tier 4 Strategic Spell
Randomly changes terrain tiles in target city domain into blight, volcanic, arctic and tropical terrain. This spells also destroys all roads and bridges in that domain.
100 mana

Unstable Transformation
Tier 6 Combat Spell
Target friendly unit transforms into a new random unit of equal or greater power. This unit is destroyed at the end of battle. Units destroyed with this spell cannot resurge.
25 mana

Pandemonium
Tier 6 Combat Spell
All units get displaced up to 4 hexes from their original location. All enemies also gain a random 100% weakness.
30 mana

Also Gerblyn since you're here, for Warp Equipment: "Equipped Units" means heroes with equipment right? Or is there a way for a non-Hero unit to count as equipped?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm guessing "equipped" means anything using weapons, so any racial units and archons and whatever, but not monsters or elementals.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Two words. PARTY GOLEMS

Also Naga are fricken terrifying with their swimming and in combat Regen, and teleporting through the walls while healing, and holy crap they're so good. If the power of bunnies hadn't been there to save the day that town would have been toast. (Halflings are the best just because I get to write sentences like that.)

I'm not sure if it's just the campaign, but the independents seem notably tuned up. Scoundrels nest with 3 Scoundrels/2 Assassins, that sort of thing.

The tactical AI seems better at killing my heroes, too. My leader specializes mostly in stack bonuses and dying. Physical Weakness on a Warlord Hero is kinda super painful.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 18, 2014

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Halflings are so much fun!

I had some brew brothers that got caught in a really bad situation. They got themselves down to 1 hp and the AI was absolutely determined to wipe them off the board.

Then they went and dodged every attack thrown at them.

GOTY 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I love how Wild Magic lets you play everything from a sorcerer with little to no regard to the quality of their summons, to a Dreadnought conducting "experiments" on his troops and machines, to a WAAGH style orc warlord leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is it bad that I can't wait for the next expansion? :ohdear:

Not that I'm unhappy with this one - I just love all the love and balancing this game has gotten since I've purchased it.

Also the price of admission is so reasonable. I love it.

• Locked thread