Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

isn't that the game people say to just watch a LP of because it's the same as playing it and you don't have to deal with the bugs yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lotr is objectively better than GoT

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So more Heavy Bullets new: Anybody who bought Heavy Bullets while it was still in Early Access will get a giftable copy of the game as thanks. So if you bought it then, check your inventory.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Awesome! posted:

isn't that the game people say to just watch a LP of because it's the same as playing it and you don't have to deal with the bugs yourself?

It's a really lovely game to actually play but I've come across to the thought that it's worth experiencing for yourself

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

There's some real deep LotR nerds in the thread for it, I'm hoping the one I've heard is real just to watch that go down.
Orv, I can't wait for people to post about that ending to the Mordor game once they experience it. :allears:

PrinceRandom posted:

Lotr is objectively better than GoT

This argument is only valid if you use that Manga program to make it. For all the flak GoT gets, it's nothing compared to the grueling, poorly paced slog LoTR was.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
So Scrolls is getting a permanent price drop to 5 bucks. I'm curious if Microsoft's buyout of Mojang had anything to do with this (we may never get a campaign mode, ah well.)

https://scrolls.com/2014/09/were-reducing-the-price-of-scrolls-heres-why

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Do we have a Prison Architect thread on SA? I think this game has hooked me good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Awesome! posted:

People are wrong, it's way better to play it yourself. However of course it's a buggy title and many people don't want to deal with that (I can't blame them). It's a fun and cool game with mundane combat, bad controls and a hilariously campy story which is insanely entertaining to uncover and one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

If you did watch an LP then there's no point in playing it though, the whole fun is in the story reveals.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Red Red Blue posted:

It's a really lovely game to actually play but I've come across to the thought that it's worth experiencing for yourself

Pretty much this. I love the game to death, partially because Twin Peaks, partially because it's just so, so good-dumb, but it's really not something you want to play as a game. Watch a goon LP, or the Giant Bomb LPs if those are more your speed/humor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Deadly Premonition is a terrible game that people like for some reason.(probably cause of their Twin Peaks hard-on)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's pure camp. If you don't get it then you don't get it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I enjoyed Alan Wake so I'm on board for camp.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Deadly Premonition is a terrible game that people like for some reason.(probably cause of their Twin Peaks hard-on)

You're wrong.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Real Deadly Premonition fans 100% percent the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

A Bystander posted:

Real Deadly Premonition fans 100% percent the game.

That's a whole lot of percents.

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's like Pink Flamingos in gaming form. It's incredibly entertaining by itself and the fact that it's paying a homage to Twin Peaks is only its flavor, not why it's good.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Morter posted:

That's a whole lot of percents.

That's how good I am.

v My friend was big on it back in high school and he attests that it's a pretty good show, even if it is weird.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 18, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I probably should watch Twin Peaks first before playing DP.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sober posted:

Nah, that's really not necessary. I've had quite a few friends try out the game, like it, and then try out Twin Peaks once they realize they're similar. You're good either way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

It's not a game, man. You could really end up hurting yourself if you don't take getting DP'd seriously.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Palpek posted:

It's pure camp. If you don't get it then you don't get it.

It's incredibly self-aware, surprisingly well-written camp at that. I never expected a surreal, low-budget Japanese Twin Peaks knockoff to have insightful monologues on niche 80s films, but it does.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sober posted:

Nah, you can watch it after playing DP if you want.

E: I just wish that DP PC didn't have all those crash bugs. It's kind of a pain and I seem to get most of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Twin Peaks is more rooted in reality than Deadly Premonition :v:.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Deadly Premonition is a good game in a bad game's body.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DP's combat is just mediocre, not terrible. They give you more than enough infinite ammo weapons to trivialize it and they made it even easier it on the PC port.

It really is a game you need to play, because the immersion helps.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zombie Samurai posted:

Deadly Premonition is a good game in a bad game's body.

It's the Stephen Hawking of videogames.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DP's combat is irredeemable, as are the QTEs contained within it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not with games, I've found. Unless there's an example of a game that used stock "game maker library" assets and was really good. I'm not talking about 'programmer art' either, I mean like the default sprites/models that come with a Game Programming For Idiots engine.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

So Scrolls is getting a permanent price drop to 5 bucks. I'm curious if Microsoft's buyout of Mojang had anything to do with this (we may never get a campaign mode, ah well.)

https://scrolls.com/2014/09/were-reducing-the-price-of-scrolls-heres-why

Or it could be the fact it's getting demolished by games like Hearthstone, why pay like $25 when you can load Hearthstone up for free.

vvv Its a Blizzard game, millions of people with play it regardless of quality :downs:

Orv
May 4, 2011

37th Chamber posted:

Or it could be the fact it's getting demolished by Hearthstone, why pay like $25 when you can load Hearthstone up for free.

Nah it couldn't be that, Hearthstone is a bad game.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Apologize for nothing, keep doing it :allears:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Elminage Gothic was a good purchase imho.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyhal_4SumQ

EDIT: No mixing involved, Captain Swing did this using the in-game menus only.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

aren't they a little late with the lovely movie tie-in game?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Skimmed the last few pages and haven't seen anybody else asking, so here goes:

As someone who enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Asylum and City, is Origins worth getting for £5.74? I've heard lots of complaints about it (several of my friends say something's off with the combat, for some reason, though I have no idea what's apparently been changed), but other than a couple of things (plot not being as good and such), I'm not sure what those were. I've also heard a small minority say it's their favourite of the Arkham games. Shall I just go for it, or wait a bit until it's slightly cheaper (or goes on sale on GMG, where I have credit to spend)?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Apologize for nothing, keep doing it :allears:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Awesome! posted:

aren't they a little late with the lovely movie tie-in game?
It released together with the movie originally.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The expansion Golden Realms for Age of Wonders III is out by the way, price is 9,59 euros/dollars until 23 September. Not a bad price at all if you like the base game, I believe there was a major patch as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

smenj posted:

Skimmed the last few pages and haven't seen anybody else asking, so here goes:

As someone who enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Asylum and City, is Origins worth getting for £5.74? I've heard lots of complaints about it (several of my friends say something's off with the combat, for some reason, though I have no idea what's apparently been changed), but other than a couple of things (plot not being as good and such), I'm not sure what those were. I've also heard a small minority say it's their favourite of the Arkham games. Shall I just go for it, or wait a bit until it's slightly cheaper (or goes on sale on GMG, where I have credit to spend)?

Do you crave a lot more City? 'Cause that's what it is, and if the answer is yes, that's a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The city's also a bit bigger and it's pre-hosed, so the bridge is still functional, you don't have the endless flooding. Shorter main campaign though, at least I thought it was.

• Locked thread