Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ch3cooh posted:

On weight and ready for dallas open tomorrow. 217.4 without the gi. I was 235 4 weeks ago

Congrats. Break a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ligur posted:

People giving you poo poo or pestering about not drinking alcohol might have something to do with the Finnish culture, or the age of the people involved, or both. I seriously have no idea if X not drinking alcohol is a problem in places Y or Z by and large.

Is it? (Slightly doubt it isn't, many Brits and several others nationalities all over the world are prodigious drinkers who do it not to enjoy the glass of wine with their pasta, but to pass out and vomit.)

It's definitely a thing in Asia. In Korea, "I'm not drinking tonight" gets you "What are you trying to hide?" at best.

And every social thing imaginable somehow involves drinking. No one drinks just a little either. It's like constant frat parties that you have to go to because they're for work. And if you finish your drink it's a rule someone has to immediately fill it up again. So people try to nervously sip on a single shot glass all night or ninja pour it out in a plant or something.

poo poo, I could go on for pages about Asian drinking culture. Or how many gwanjangnim chain smoke.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Went 1-2 on the day. Lost my only match in my weight division by referee's decision. I'll have the video later but I think I won the match (the advantage he got was kinda weak). But rebounded to win my first match in Absolute by collar choke. Lost in the quarterfinals of Absolute to a loop choke as I tried to pass.

Disappointed I didn't bring home more hardware but I'm happy with my performance. I'm also happy with my weight cut.

This was me a month ago (~235lbs):

And this was me yesterday (weighed in at 221lbs with gi):

Here's the video of my loss in Absolute. Dude was going at a crazy pace, I'm happy with how I defended his passes, still not sure why I didn't get points for a sweep (or at least an advantage) but pleased I got the reversal. Had a lapse in judgment going the wrong way into the loop choke but hey that's jiujitsu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L4oWG39Who

Here's my loss in my weight class. Like I said I'm not sure what his advantage at 0:55 was for and my pass was far closer to being completed. But hey that's what you get if you let it go to ref's decision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8AfIr1nA8

e: When I won my first Absolute match the ref raised the other guy's hand. Which led to this, which I am calling waitwhat.gif

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 14, 2014

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ch3cooh posted:

waitwhat.gif

:lol: grapplingtourneys.gif

Good job man, grays on the weight cut as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

e: When I won my first Absolute match the ref raised the other guy's hand. Which led to this, which I am calling waitwhat.gif

God damnit, ref

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Finally, here is my lone win. The one that led to the gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48AVGrwI0ZA

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
xpost from my dumb fitness log

me posted:

he gave me one good black eye and a bloody nose and i did the whole smearing blood on my gloves thing which got me a point deducted for some dumb reason.

then i liver kicked him and he sort of move/crumpled into my knee range and then it was just sort of like kneeing someone who is in the process of ragdolling to the ground. his coach tried to claim i kneed him in the head on the way down but we have replay mofo and he was out way before crumpling into my knees.

Basically how my fight went. First round really boring, didn't matter. him punching me once and me poking him with a lot of really ineffective jabs and one or two decent left hooks

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

xpost from my dumb fitness log

Basically how my fight went. First round really boring, didn't matter. him punching me once and me poking him with a lot of really ineffective jabs and one or two decent left hooks

Liver shot KOs are the god damned best. Good work!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

ch3cooh posted:

Liver shot KOs are the god damned best. Good work!

Even been liver shotted enough that just reading about them hurts me >:[

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Upon further review I realized that the match I lost by decision was a minute shorter than it was supposed to be.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
So, a New York Times journalist came to our HEMA event and got a video piece published about it yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zueF4Mu2uM

Edited because the NYT video host seems to be having trouble...

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2014

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you don't power double your rear end in a top hat friends at least once each time you go out then why even do martial arts

agree

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Probably a good idea to have good sweeps or chokes from guard, because I taught my friends how to do a power double and they think its hilarious to do it to me when I'm not ready. Sprawling to the front headlock position is good fun too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

BlindSite posted:

Probably a good idea to have good sweeps or chokes from guard, because I taught my friends how to do a power double and they think its hilarious to do it to me when I'm not ready. Sprawling to the front headlock position is good fun too.

If your friends think trying a move on you is even remotely something they want to ever do you aren't beating them up nearly enough.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BlindSite posted:

Also:

And laugh at them :unsmigghh:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm translating some class instructions for a taekwondo gwanjangnim from Korean to English. We're stuck on one word and I just can't think of what to say.

You know that hop boxers do? And, same thing of course in taekwondo, just hopping around before a kick and stuff. What do you actually call that?

I'm stuck on hop and bounce, but that doesn't sound right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BrainDance posted:

You know that hop boxers do? And, same thing of course in taekwondo, just hopping around before a kick and stuff. What do you actually call that?

Can you link to a video or gif of this?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

BrainDance posted:

I'm translating some class instructions for a taekwondo gwanjangnim from Korean to English. We're stuck on one word and I just can't think of what to say.

Footwork

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Footwork means a lot more than just that light bounce you do which I would just call bounce.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

BrainDance posted:

The term I have heard used in TKD is "stepping".

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

BrainDance posted:

If it's what I think it is, or at least close enough to it, we call that a shuffle and attach a direction for which ever way you're going (shuffle forward, etc.)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've heard stepping hook shuffle hook and slide hook all used. No idea if they're all the same or why its always hooks. I guess lead uppercuts are hard to land and straight punches dont need as much movement. I guess stepping jab is a thing too.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

I've heard stepping hook shuffle hook and slide hook all used. No idea if they're all the same or why its always hooks. I guess lead uppercuts are hard to land and straight punches dont need as much movement. I guess stepping jab is a thing too.

Lead uppercuts exist because you are preparing your next punch since they never land (or at least shouldn't if you are not Roy Jones Jr). The next punch hopefully being a hook or a straight into a hook.

No idea about TKD terminology >:[

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think he's really just referring to bouncing around. I did it a lot in TKD and I'm finding myself doing it during pad work in KB, which I have to stop because I'm wasting a lot of energy.

It's just that little hop/bouncing you constantly do before you take a shot. Some people would probably say it helps to fake people out because they don't know when you are going to strike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gnLlh6RjQ
This is a quick example I could find. The dude furthest away starts doing it right away.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Some of you may have seen this, but the New York Times did a piece on historical European martial arts, focusing mostly on the tournament (sport) aspect of things. Inside the article is a video that covers it well, especially the points system that particular tournament (Longpoint) is using. It gives a pretty accurate overview of how HEMA is treated by its practitioners, as well as goals for the future. Not covered in the video are broader goals, such as longsword fencing in the Olympics (for which an international committee has recently been created), and a rekindling of historical fencing practices which have largely disappeared in favor of classical sport fencing. Since it was released on Monday, it has been picked up by other media outlets such as MTV and iO9, and basically it's getting much more press than it has in the past few decades combined.

I've been practicing longsword for about a year now, and I have experience with other weapon systems (such as langes messer, sword and buckler, single stick, dagger, and rapier). If anyone has any questions about HEMA, you're more than welcome to ask and I will answer it to the best of my ability. I would also be happy to make a write up for HEMA (assuming that's still a thing for this thread) if it draws enough attention.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Not covered in the video are broader goals, such as longsword fencing in the Olympics (for which an international committee has recently been created), and a rekindling of historical fencing practices which have largely disappeared in favor of classical sport fencing.

These two statements are in conflict with eachother. Look at any combat sport (fencing, TKD, judo) and see what has happened to them and ask yourself if that is really where you want to go.
Anything 'historical' will be very quickly weeded out with what is effective given the ruleset. While the Olympics may be good for exposure, it's usually bad for the development of the martial art.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

If anyone has any questions about HEMA, you're more than welcome to ask and I will answer it to the best of my ability.

Whats the difference between HEMA, Battle of Nations, and Empire of Medieval Pursuits if you know?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImplicitAssembler posted:

These two statements are in conflict with eachother. Look at any combat sport (fencing, TKD, judo) and see what has happened to them and ask yourself if that is really where you want to go.
Anything 'historical' will be very quickly weeded out with what is effective given the ruleset. While the Olympics may be good for exposure, it's usually bad for the development of the martial art.

This is so very true. Once your thingy goes sport, it will diverge greatly from where it started. Hell, you don't even have to go into something as purely sport as fencing. Look at MMA and see how quicikly it went from being "the best of the best" of all martial arts traditions to being a martial art in its own right.

Fencing even had the whole Epee 2.0 revolution a couple of decades ago.

ch3cooh posted:

Dude, chill a bit. Rights and lefts are hard. I'm even saying this as a ref where a box tells me which side got the point.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 17, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've been reading through the thread and I saw you guys talking about Boxing/Striking and CTE some pages back. I was thinking of trying either Boxing or Muay Thai and I was wondering if Muay Thai training is going to have the amount of defensive tactics and head movement that you see in Boxing from defensive boxers? My limited perspective is that there are various styles of boxers from guys who take head shots for breakfast to guys like Pernell Whitaker who are essentially ghosts in the ring. I'm sure there's also some variation in fighting style in Muay Thai as well but it seems like Muay Thai guys spend a lot more time squaring up and trading blows. But, again my knowledge is limited so I don't want to insult anyone, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the two.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 17, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is an issue a lot of people are contending with, and there are many different opinions floating around about where the future of HEMA lies, whether as purely a martial art, or purely a sport ala classical fencing. Longpoint is an attempt to "sportify" (for lack of a better word) longsword fencing while maintaining the integrity of the martial art, by enforcing a fighter's ability to effectively defeat his opponent while saving his or herself from bodily harm. The rules are trying to weed out "sloppy" fencing while also making sure the system is very difficult to game. In theory, the "best" fencers come out on top, rather than the ones who practice specifically to fight in a tournament sport setting. Internally, at major HEMA tournaments, the biggest prizes and most admiration typically go to the open longsword winners and the "triathalon" winners, which are people who throughout every event have competed strongly. You could, in theory, lose the open longsword competition, but still win the triathalon because you competed well in messer, and singlestick, and cutting, and ringen (wrestling), etc.. It's another attempt by HEMA to self-correct itself.

There is no one answer to this. I'm personally all for the potential of longsword becoming an Olympic event, so long as it's trying to maintain that martial integrity, but the range of opinions beyond mine is incredibly complex and goes from people hating competitions entirely, to people hating historical contexts of techniques, and blah blah blah, etc. etc..

KildarX posted:

Whats the difference between HEMA, Battle of Nations, and Empire of Medieval Pursuits if you know?

Battle of Nations and Empire of Medieval Pursuits are, effectively, games people play, with little to no basis in historical martial arts. That's not to say that practitioners within those don't practice or apply these martial arts (many of them in fact do), but they're connected to HEMA only in the sense that they are "medieval" inspired and use weapons.

I'm not too familiar with EOMP, but BON in particular has no historical basis, as it depends entirely (as far as I know) on knocking your opponents down while wearing full harness. Actual armored fighting (called harnischfechten) exists within HEMA as an actual martial art with treatises written specifically for it, but it's about actually killing someone in full harness, where the sword (which cannot penetrate steel armor) is gripped halfway up the blade (half-bladeing) and turned, essentially, into a spear and a lever. For more information on fighting in armor, here is an awesome 6 part video on the subject.

edit: a (now former) friend linked me this video saying "the only martial art worth practicing is drawing your gun faster than your enemy". :sigh:

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 17, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I've been reading through the thread and I saw you guys talking about Boxing/Striking and CTE some pages back. I was thinking of trying either Boxing or Muay Thai and I was wondering if Muay Thai training is going to have the amount of defensive tactics and head movement that you see in Boxing from defensive boxers? My limited perspective is that there are various styles of boxers from guys who take head shots for breakfast to guys like Pernell Whitaker who are essentially ghosts in the ring. I'm sure there's also some variation in fighting style in Muay Thai as well but it seems like Muay Thai guys spend a lot more time squaring up and trading blows. But, again my knowledge is limited so I don't want to insult anyone, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the two.

I think your primary criteria when deciding between boxing or muay thai should be whether you enjoy kicking, not which of them will lead to more brain damage. I'm speaking from a boxing perspective so I don't have the whole picture but the only time I could see you taking more shots to the noggin in muay thai vs boxing is during the clinch where they are trying to knee you in the face, but boxing has clinches as well.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

-Blackadder- posted:

No, MT will not have that. They also need to defend kicks and elbows and knees. So you block poo poo instead of slip poo poo. MT looks like an war of attrition and that is what it often is once they start fighting for real during round 3. Therefore as you might have guessed, the strikes will more evenly distribute to your thighs, ribs, arms and face. A Pernell Whitaker or two exist in MT world (I forget the best MT boxers name right now, will edit it up here if I find it) but they are very very rare indeed because it is eight limbs vs two, unless you are a ninja comic book character or Anderson Silva, pernellwhitaker slips get you kicked in the face. Hard.

There are exceptions, but if you want to really learn good head movement and upperbody slips against punches and strikes? Do boxing... but dont' even dream it's going to work well against a martial art with much kicks.

(Which doesn't mean it isn't aweome, it is: boxing body and head movement is crazy fun to learn, figure out and practice and makes you dodge 99% of the things life throws at your forehead, pernellwhitakering even one hook feels glorious.)

edit: If you want to avoid brain damage, MT is probably safer. More of the strikes will connect at your legs or ribs. You might break more bones though or something, dunno.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2014

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gnLlh6RjQ
This is a quick example I could find. The dude furthest away starts doing it right away.

Yeah that's exactly it. Thank you guys for all the different terms. I'm in a tricky position here because I wan't to use the most correct term but also the most descriptive.

The audience will probably be familiar with the Korean terms but not with any English terms, they're going to all have Korean college level English which is... not that great.

Maybe I'll just make a note for him to try and introduce a new term, describe it as "bouncing" and then use the new term from there on out.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Question of the day, yarrrr:

Our club is very female friendly, and it's not uncommon to see a boxing or kickboxing class with 50% of the participants girls and women of various ages. But why do many - if not most - girls stand stick straight when they should have the loose forward crouch of a boxer or a kickboxer? They have seen the boxing or kickboxng stance, hundreds if not thousands of times. WHERE DOES THEIR ERECT POSE COME FROM?

Gurlz almost lean back, pushing their chest forwards. When you nudge someone in the ribs, tell her "y0, weight down, loose knees, legs wider (at this point eyes start glazing), 45 degree angle to enemy, jaw down, aggressive crouch, shoulders hunched forward, elbows at ribs (eyes point in different directions; glassy)" they will nod, watch your own guard, watch the mirror, and go back standing stick straight, chest out, legs glued together and then fall down when punching.

What I envy them is their hip and leg flexibility; most women under 30 or 40 can do things I couldn't do when 22. Many are also natural kickers. Much more often than men.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Ligur posted:

Question of the day, yarrrr:

Our club is very female friendly, and it's not uncommon to see a boxing or kickboxing class with 50% of the participants girls and women of various ages. But why do many - if not most - girls stand stick straight when they should have the loose forward crouch of a boxer or a kickboxer? They have seen the boxing or kickboxng stance, hundreds if not thousands of times. WHERE DOES THEIR ERECT POSE COME FROM?

Gurlz almost lean back, pushing their chest forwards. When you nudge someone in the ribs, tell her "y0, weight down, loose knees, legs wider (at this point eyes start glazing), 45 degree angle to enemy, jaw down, aggressive crouch, shoulders hunched forward, elbows at ribs (eyes point in different directions; glassy)" they will nod, watch your own guard, watch the mirror, and go back standing stick straight, chest out, legs glued together and then fall down when punching.

What I envy them is their hip and leg flexibility; most women under 30 or 40 can do things I couldn't do when 22. Many are also natural kickers. Much more often than men.

Too much TMA? I know that's why my stance is so erect.

Okay, so I've mostly been coming here to kvetch about not being able to find a gym without, you know, seeking advice. Also I feel less fat since I've been getting back to cardio land.

My problem is I'm sort of in podunk land at the intersection of upper to middle class soccer moms-istan and trashy Walmart fats-ville. And my work schedule is pretty not conducive to normal people hours: I work ~3 to lights out, and my days off are Thurs-Fri so weekend classes are out. On top of that my limited options (lovely TKD McDojo's aside) all seem to put a huge emphasis on fitness and not, you know, punching or hugging mans. I'm sorta hoping that's not a red flag in the same way 'build self-esteem' is since that reads to me as 'buy a black belt for your 8 year old.'

This, dumb pitbull logo aside, looks like the best choice and I like their shots of the facilities but I'm a bit put off by them leading with 'fitness get fit workout get fit.'

I mean, the ultimate answer is to try it out and see if I like it but I was wondering what you all thought about it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went to BJJ for the first time in a long time today. I'm a very white belt and hardly know anything. My instructor used to be Thiago Viega, but now it's Gilmar Ferreira (not sure if they are well know, Thiago might be). Anyway, I went to the noon class today which was very rough for me since I had to get up "early". I had no energy throughout most of the class of just 3 of us but picked some up at the end. Gilmar asked if I wanted to roll. "Hell yeah I do".

So I roll with this brown belt. He's being very nice to me and letting me work my passing, etc. Then he get's on his back, grabs my arms, put's his feet on my stomach and suspends me in the air. I start flopping my legs around like a fool and start screaming "What do I do?! What do I do?!". Gilmar and the other student just say....

"Fly Pennywise... just fly."

Thanks a lot guys. :cripes:

I really need to do more BJJ. I did good against the other white belt, but she was a woman and I could overpower her pretty easily. No technique, just some strength. I'll get it down eventually. I might get some private lessons to go over the basics with Gilmar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In the early stages of training, how much you get hit in the head depends greatly on how your gym does its training. Are they putting you into sparring very early on before you have good skills and awareness? Are they disciplining guys who go too hard and overwhelm sparring partners? Are they watching out for your state of mind when you do get hit?

Ligur posted:

But why do many - if not most - girls stand stick straight when they should have the loose forward crouch of a boxer or a kickboxer? They have seen the boxing or kickboxng stance, hundreds if not thousands of times. WHERE DOES THEIR ERECT POSE COME FROM?

Gurlz almost lean back, pushing their chest forwards.

Girls face a lot more social pressure from an early age to conform to certain aesthetic standards, including for posture. It's stuff that can be so engrained that not even doing this completely different sport can shake the posturing they've developed.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Fly Pennywise... just fly."

I had this happen to me and I actually flew! Thankfully I landed on my back and I was giggling like a creepy rear end motherfucker.

quote:

I really need to do more BJJ. I did good against the other white belt, but she was a woman and I could overpower her pretty easily. No technique, just some strength. I'll get it down eventually. I might get some private lessons to go over the basics with Gilmar.

A weird tip I can give you is to think of Levers when rolling.

Two examples that happened to me:

1) I was laying flat on my back, I don't remember how it happened but my opponent put his hands behind my shoulder and his knee on my sternum. He then pulled with his hands and pushed his knee towards the mat, it was painful as gently caress. I tapped out and we reset and start rolling again.

2) So during round 2 I end up in the same situation as above. But instead of taking it I use my hips to slip a bit, raise one side of my body a bit and place my back at around a 45 degree angle. My opponent tries to pull/push again, slips and I take his back.

BJJ is the nerdiest martial art ever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

the JJ posted:

Too much TMA? I know that's why my stance is so erect.

Okay, so I've mostly been coming here to kvetch about not being able to find a gym without, you know, seeking advice. Also I feel less fat since I've been getting back to cardio land.

My problem is I'm sort of in podunk land at the intersection of upper to middle class soccer moms-istan and trashy Walmart fats-ville. And my work schedule is pretty not conducive to normal people hours: I work ~3 to lights out, and my days off are Thurs-Fri so weekend classes are out. On top of that my limited options (lovely TKD McDojo's aside) all seem to put a huge emphasis on fitness and not, you know, punching or hugging mans. I'm sorta hoping that's not a red flag in the same way 'build self-esteem' is since that reads to me as 'buy a black belt for your 8 year old.'

This, dumb pitbull logo aside, looks like the best choice and I like their shots of the facilities but I'm a bit put off by them leading with 'fitness get fit workout get fit.'

I mean, the ultimate answer is to try it out and see if I like it but I was wondering what you all thought about it.

Doesn't seem too horrible? No harm in checking it out. I think when gyms operating in the middle of nowhere probably have to make some concessions to marketability to make ends meet, but I'm not a gym owner so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

Girls face a lot more social pressure from an early age to conform to certain aesthetic standards, including for posture. It's stuff that can be so engrained that not even doing this completely different sport can shake the posturing they've developed.

Now that you said it, I remember a female dancer friend of mine back years ago say the same thing about social pressure, pushing the chest and drawing your shouldes back.

• Locked thread