Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I haven't posted pics before but why not:

This is my 4(and a half, dad!) year old:

This is my 15 month old:

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That kid is so cute I don't even care about the broken tables.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

kaishek posted:

Joining the thread with my two new twin boys, J and D. Just turning 6 weeks old tomorrow! They had 2 weeks in the NICU from coming at 35 weeks, but have been home for a month now and are doing great. We're having problems with reflux, though. They're still eating about every 3 hours, sometimes they both nurse but at night we use pumped milk in bottles. I'm still trying to dial in the amounts - it seems like it is usually about 100 ml (3.5 oz or so), but they vary wildly. I've heard that babies "won't" overeat and will stop when they are full, but I can generally get them to eat if I am patient and wait for them to open their mouths - even if it doesn't look like they're into it. Am I overfeeding them by accident and causing reflux? My in-laws are staying with us and they're fabulous but I when they are doing a feeding and the boys stop eating or fall asleep they just say "whelp!" and throw out the remainder of the bottle. I'm trying to be relaxed about this, but they started out so tiny so I have become the food nazi making them eat eat eat.

Babies taking a bottle can overeat because they can't necessarily control the flow of breast milk or formula to stop it when they're full. Some nipples will continuously drip fluid even if no active suction is on them and babies also sometimes just want to suck for comfort, which will get them fluid from a bottle but not necessarily breast milk from a breast. I would look up "paced bottle feeding" regarding how to give the babies as much control as possible and also use and stay with the slowest flow nipple you can find.

Also, breastfed babies typically eat 19 to 30 oz. of milk per day until six months (when it starts slowly decreasing). You can base your bottle sizes off a 1 oz./hr. rule if that helps... So if they tend to go two hours between nursing sessions, a 2 oz. bottle would be appropriate.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the other day at work (supermarket) I noticed a young boy in a trolley had taken his mum's can of body spray out of her purse and was sucking on the spray nozzle and biting all over it. His mother was a little ways away and I thought she must not have seen him, so I said to her,
"Is your son okay with that?" and she shot me a look and said,
"He's fine, thanks."
He dropped the can on the floor and she picked it up and handed it right back to him.

Am I going crazy? Letting a child put that stuff in his mouth is really dangerous, right? Did I overstep? I don't want to be one of those people that comes off as judgemental of people's parenting for no good reason :ohdear:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

flashy_mcflash posted:

That kid is so cute I don't even care about the broken tables.

Whoops, I'll timg them.

And thanks :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You'd be amazed what I'm OK with my son putting in his mouth if it keeps him quiet in the grocery store.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Aristophanes posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the other day at work (supermarket) I noticed a young boy in a trolley had taken his mum's can of body spray out of her purse and was sucking on the spray nozzle and biting all over it. His mother was a little ways away and I thought she must not have seen him, so I said to her,
"Is your son okay with that?" and she shot me a look and said,
"He's fine, thanks."
He dropped the can on the floor and she picked it up and handed it right back to him.

Am I going crazy? Letting a child put that stuff in his mouth is really dangerous, right? Did I overstep? I don't want to be one of those people that comes off as judgemental of people's parenting for no good reason :ohdear:

I think I might have commented about a can of body spray, too, but I've politely ignored little kids chewing on a lot of stuff, because sometimes it's really hard to keep a toddler reasonably calm while getting groceries.

(I also sometimes comment on parents putting car seats in the seat portion of a cart. It's never gotten them to stop and the friendliest reaction I've gotten is a silent glare, but I figure that's worth it, where keeping them from industriously gumming car keys isn't as much.)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Body spray? Gross. My gut reaction would be that the kid had fished it out and that the mom didn't notice yet. I might have said something out of that reaction like you did. But clearly she knew about it, so who knows. Maybe it was empty? One can hope.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was probably empty. My mom hands my son an empty tube of lipstick to chew on all the time.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

skeetied posted:

Babies taking a bottle can overeat because they can't necessarily control the flow of breast milk or formula to stop it when they're full. Some nipples will continuously drip fluid even if no active suction is on them and babies also sometimes just want to suck for comfort, which will get them fluid from a bottle but not necessarily breast milk from a breast. I would look up "paced bottle feeding" regarding how to give the babies as much control as possible and also use and stay with the slowest flow nipple you can find.

Also, breastfed babies typically eat 19 to 30 oz. of milk per day until six months (when it starts slowly decreasing). You can base your bottle sizes off a 1 oz./hr. rule if that helps... So if they tend to go two hours between nursing sessions, a 2 oz. bottle would be appropriate.

The 1 oz/hr rule is actually perfect - I've needed a way to modulate the feedings based on them waking up earlier than I expected or later. Thanks a bunch. I will post pictures soon. For now, you can infer based on these artist's representations:

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012

lady flash posted:

We've used this one for a year with no issues. First with the tray and now pulled up to the table. http://m.target.com/p/safety-1st-sit-snack-go-convertible-booster-seat/-/A-14660981

A little late, but our preference is the fisher price one: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Booster-Seat-Blue-Green/dp/B00CSAWIP0
I know op just plans on using it at the dinner table, but if you ever need to take it somewhere else the tray cover and collapsibility are amazing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Woot, 1st birthday party:

(My mom knitted the cap)

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
That tiger onesie is outrageous, I love it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ambystoma posted:

That tiger onesie is outrageous, I love it.

I have a little leopard :3: (well, had, this was at 9 months old, she's 14 months now and doesn't fit her leopard pajama anymore :( )

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 16, 2014

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

kaishek posted:

Joining the thread with my two new twin boys, J and D. Just turning 6 weeks old tomorrow! They had 2 weeks in the NICU from coming at 35 weeks, but have been home for a month now and are doing great. We're having problems with reflux, though. They're still eating about every 3 hours, sometimes they both nurse but at night we use pumped milk in bottles. I'm still trying to dial in the amounts - it seems like it is usually about 100 ml (3.5 oz or so), but they vary wildly. I've heard that babies "won't" overeat and will stop when they are full, but I can generally get them to eat if I am patient and wait for them to open their mouths - even if it doesn't look like they're into it. Am I overfeeding them by accident and causing reflux? My in-laws are staying with us and they're fabulous but I when they are doing a feeding and the boys stop eating or fall asleep they just say "whelp!" and throw out the remainder of the bottle. I'm trying to be relaxed about this, but they started out so tiny so I have become the food nazi making them eat eat eat.

6 month-old twin boys here too. We had to start bottlefeeding at the hospital (wife wasn't producing enough milk). The lactation consultant gave us some great advice though:

1. Use the slowest flow nipple you can so they don't drown.
2. Keep the bottle as parallel to the floor as you can. If you tip bottles downward, the nipple actually drips on its own. Sideways forces the little guys to work for it (which is a good thing).

Our little guys seemed to spit up a lot too at first. I remember them getting better around where you're at. They basically figured out how much they could eat.

My scheme to determine if they wanted more was to very gently poke the nipple around their lips. If they rooted for it, I figured they wanted more. If they kept their mouth closed, they were done. It seemed to work well enough, although I do remember cutting off one of our little guys on the very infrequent occasions when he would eat like 5+ ounces in one feeding and started spitting up everything he was taking in.

We also got a recommendation to put the bottle in, let them suck 5-6 times, then take the bottle out, wait a few seconds, then put it back in. It basically forces them to moderate their intake, but at the cost of making them swallow more air. I'm not sure if I would recommend that though. We did it at a time when they were beginning to stop breastfeeding and demand the bottle immediately. Their breastfeeding did come back, but that might have occurred naturally as well.

My parents and in-laws both did the same thing yours did. Frustrated my wife and I to no end because that meant we had to make up for it that night.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 16, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sheri posted:

You'd be amazed what I'm OK with my son putting in his mouth if it keeps him quiet in the grocery store.

Glad I'm not alone on this one. I'm not averse to giving Sydney literally any large fruit you have to peel (a pineapple, canteloupe, small watermelon) and letting her play with it in the cart so she doesn't climb out or grab stuff off the shelf. This is terrible, I know, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

To be clear if there's teeth marks in the distraction item I will always buy it because I wasn't born in a barn.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\I open food in the store and pay for empty packages. I don't care. I just did it this morning, and checked out with an empty bag of freeze dried peaches. Liam really likes freeze dried fruit.

Whelp. Everyone potty training, don't lose hope. Saturday, Liam just announced he was ready to "listen to his wiener" and put all his pees and poops on the potty. He's been 100% since. Even out of the house! Has woken up dry as well. I'm tentatively optimistic that this is really it. He's wearing underwear, and told his teacher yesterday that he was potty trained now. Now, he will have to wake up dry for a while before I trust him overnight without a pullup, but maybe this is really it.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 16, 2014

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

My mother in law used to take Briar grocery shopping and let her pre-shuck ears of corn in the cart to keep her distracted, which was really great for us for a while until she decided eating raw corn on the cob was somehow better than cooked corn on the cob--not only does the distraction no longer work, but it has somehow managed to ruin cooked corn for her because she likes it better raw. :/

We are hopefully going to be potty training soon, but have one small hurdle; at 25 months she shows interest in both the convertible potty we bought her and in the toilet, knows what they are used for, tells us when she needs a diaper change, tells us when she is pooping and requests to go on the potty and the toilet, but as soon as her butt hits the seat of either (only ever at her request, we're not forcing this, just leaving the option there for her), we are subjected to instant wailing and screaming and sobbing. However, if we say "not this time" because we are both tired and can't deal with a potentially hour long screaming tantrum, we are subjected to a second potentially hour long screaming tantrum because we told her that we'll try it next time instead.

I know it's going to pass and I'm not really looking for a solution, but man this kid is purposely contrary. She makes up for it by being insanely adorable the rest of the time, but holy crap.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A friend was asking for toddler biting advice on Facebook, I gave the advice of disengage, find something else appropriate for them to bite, and talk about what mouths are for. And about twenty other people chimed in "bite your kids it really works!" One said tell them "when you bite someone you get lots of germs so now we have to clean your mouth out with soap". It was really upsetting. I made one last post on that thread saying please don't bite or put soap in your kids mouths, there are healthier solutions, and a disclaimer that I meant no judgment. But I know that's likely to blow up in my face.

I'm not going to let myself be dragged into a debate over it because I can't respectfully debate that issue, but I was so disheartened to see the vast majority proposing violence as the best solution. I guess that's the south. :(

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had people tell me to bite my 9 month old that was being a little bitey.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET BABY. DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU MESS WITH THE WAAAAAARRRRIIOOOOOOOORRRR

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I was under the impression that kids didn't "get" the whole empathy thing until like, 5; so "how do you feel when X happens" doesn't really have an impact until then.

Not that I don't still try to do it with my two-year-old.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

A friend was asking for toddler biting advice on Facebook

Well, at least you know who to unfriend, if you know any of the bite-your-kid-proponents.

I only have a 14 month old, and so far distraction is my go to-method for things like that.

It was actually pretty horrible - we visited a friend with a kid the same age as my daughter, who had picked up shoving in kindergarten, and when she got frustrated by my kid playing with her toys, she just shoved her hard to the ground. It's not like they're biting or hitting to be purposely mean at that age, they're just experimenting with boundaries or acting out frustration, but she got yelled at pretty harshly by her mum, and my kid, who was not in the least bit fazed by the shoving, got a look of fear on her face that just broke my heart, and burst into tears.
When the other kid shoved her again a little bit later, her mum was luckily out of the room, so I just separated them and let them play apart for a bit, and after a while the other kid got used to having company, and they played nicely together.

It was a bit of a wake-up call for me - I realised that my kid obviously hasn't experienced much yelling yet, and that I'd really like to keep it that way for as long as possible, and try to just bring it out in case of actual emergencies, like running into the road or reaching for something dangerous, when it's more important to stop her immediately even if it freaks her out.

(It's obviously something else when your kid is older, but while she's still little I hope I'll manage to be very conscious of how I react to her doing things she shouldn't be doing)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Distraction works (we always have Sophie The Giraffe or some other chewable thing around) and, maybe it's related, but a louder-than-normal, startling "OW" seems to work too. The latter is more for my s/o when the biting happens during nursing but it seems to jar Sydney enough without scaring her that the biting stops. Who knows how long these will work though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tips for irrational fears of stay-at-home parents?

My wife is now home all day and I don't really know how to assuage her feelings. We live in a great neighborhood in the suburbs so there's no real rational basis for her feeling this way aside from the newness of being at home alone all day with our son.

It's not uncommon for her to feel this way, right?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Well, what is she afraid of?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What are her fears?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
She's afraid of being home alone with the baby when someone tries to get into the house.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Thwomp posted:

My wife is now home all day and I don't really know how to assuage her feelings. We live in a great neighborhood in the suburbs so there's no real rational basis for her feeling this way aside from the newness of being at home alone all day with our son.

Sometimes weird things can get stuck in your head. I'm scared that I'll die suddenly when it's just me and the kids and they'll spend the day alone and scared with my corpse, not understanding what's happening. That's pretty irrational.

The only tips I can think of are things that you've almost definitely already done - discuss how unlikely it is, the options she has if someone does try to break in and making sure the house is as secure as it can be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thwomp posted:

She's afraid of being home alone with the baby when someone tries to get into the house.

You can try looking up statistics and stuff (having that happen to her would be exceptionally rare, but I think a couple of "caught on camera" home invasions lately have really implanted an unrealistic fear in folks).

Do you guys have monitor-able security cams? Maybe spend a bit of scratch to get some IP cameras you can login to in order to check on her from time to time? That might make her feel a bit less isolated.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Sometimes weird things can get stuck in your head. I'm scared that I'll die suddenly when it's just me and the kids and they'll spend the day alone and scared with my corpse, not understanding what's happening. That's pretty irrational.

Oh hey, I get that too. Especially when going down stairs (oh god what if I fall and break my neck...). Or what if my husband goes to work before the kids wake up and I've died in my sleep or something. Thankfully my almost-three year old is pretty clever so I think he could keep himself and my daughter fed until my husband came home...

Best you can do I guess is make sure she both feels safe and has a plan. Does the bathroom lock? Maybe if she figures out a plan for grabbing kid and phone and booking it for the bathroom she might feel better. Or set up some security so she can see the other side of the door before she opens it.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Thwomp posted:

Try to assure her with rationality and support (she's dealing with a really big transition for her life), but if it doesn't pass, seek help. Having dark, irrational thoughts can happen post-partum, but if they persist or get worse, it's really okay to seek help. (It doesn't just have to be the classic "I'm thinking about hurting the baby" type thoughts for it to be post partum anxiety or depression.) This kind of anxious thought process can snowball out of control.

I struggled a bit when my first child was born. In the span of a few days, I went from full-time childless worker to brand new SAHM. Add in the hormones, the expectations, and it can be like getting hit by a truck. (But I was supposed to be soooo happy!) I had all sorts of dark, irrational thoughts. In retrospect, I know my husband could tell I was on the brink of a serious meltdown, but I thought I was fine (like it's somehow normal to freak out because you're afraid your spouse is going to get in wreck and die on the way to work. He had to text me every day when he got there. I would mentally take it all the way through having to ID his body at the hospital with the baby, call everybody, etc... And that's just one example.) Around the time he started talking to me about telling my doctor (6w checkup time), the fog lifted and it felt like I had a grip on reality. But when I got pregnant again, I knew if I felt that bad again, I wasn't going to wait to tell my doctor. (I didn't.)

Amidst the advice for security systems and looking up statistics, I just wanted to throw out the mental health aspect. If this keeps up, or her fixation shifts to something else, she should talk to her OB.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I have a few questions I haven't seen pop up here before (or if it does, I don't see it often)!

I'm a stay-at-home dad with twin 2 year old girls. I've been staying at home because they came into this world as micro-preemies and came home with a few health issues, plus my wife is a doctor so there is no way that it made fiscal sense for her to be a full time mom.

Anyways! Early last month the girls we're cleared by the hospital as being as healthy and caught up to their age group, so it is about time for me to hit the old dusty trail and get back to work! Due to my wife's job we wont be able to divide up sick time for our kids (since she is basically always in surgery), so whenever they come down with something or are unexpectedly stuck at home I'll have to be the one who cares for them. So, my question is, what do people do for employment when they are in a similar situation? I'm thinking about getting a part time job, but I also know that most homes have two full-time working parents so perhaps I'm over thinking all of this? I'd be curious to hear from or about other stay-at-home parents who transitioned out of the home and back into the work force.

Thanks!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Do you want a full time job? If so just look for a full time job where it won't throw a complete wrench in things if you are unexpectedly off due to sick kids (less retail, more office job)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
For paranoid stay-at-home moms, get Life Alert or something similar.

And get her involved with other SAH Moms & Dads, to get everyone out of the house and to develop a support structure that she feels comfortable to call on in case of emergency.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I went back to work part-time when both my kids started elementary. Since I work a lovely retail job I'm usually the one who takes off/leaves early when the kids are sick. I have a pretty sweet gig in that I share a position with another woman who has no kids, and is always looking for more hours so she loves to cover for me when I have to take an extra day off. My manager doesn't care as long as someone is there to balance the books. I also have the advantage that my kids are surprisingly healthy. We got over the hump in preschool and now my kids generally only have to stay home on average about 3-4 days a year. We actually had more snow days than sick days last year, which is a lot easier because I have a neighbor I can pawn the kids off on for non-sick days.

I actually started going back to school this year because gently caress retail. I'm just doing prereqs now while still working part time, so although my schedule is a bit tighter I still can take a day or two as needed. By the time my school schedule ramps up to the point where I can't afford to take a day for sick kids both my girls should be old enough to stay home alone for a few hours and stream netflix from the couch if they're sick. :)

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thwomp posted:

Has she tried a "shotgun"?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Has she tried a "shotgun"?

Make sure to announce yourself when you get home from work! :eng101:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man I'm expecting a baby girl for the first time at some point in the next month or so. I'm supposed to be the expert in this poo poo because I work for child protective services but I keep feeling like I am going to be in over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You are. You'll figure it out quickly though ;)