Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PeterWeller posted:

The one going around the Nurburgring sounded like it had one.

No it didn't.

LS with a flatplane crank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxngbwE8jg

Notice how it sounds like a big-rear end 4 cylinder, and not a V8 rumble.

The Mustang video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCNfwrMW_U&t=42s

It's high-revving and strung out (and for the record I think it sounds amazing), but it still sounds very much like a classic American V8.

Unless they put crossover headers on it to bring back the uneven exhaust pulse spacing for stealth reasons, that is not the sound of a flatplane V8. It's all just car mag wanking as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

SO back to muscle cars that people care about, Chrysler has just announced that Challenger Hellcat will achieve a class leading* 22 mpg highway rating for cars equipped with the automatic transmission.

*:eng101: Compared to 18mpg for Aventadore LP700-4 and 16mpg F12 Berlinetta.

I get 25mpg in my 156hp 4-banger.

Chew on that for a while.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I get 12 in a 345 horse V8

:negative:

e- from the same loving company, no less

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just want that turbo 6 Falcon Ranchero that Australia gets :-/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Seriously. It's like the perfect solution to so many of life's problems.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Apparently we get the Commodore now, albeit 6AT only setup (Chevy SS). Maybe it's a sign of things to come?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

A MIRACLE posted:

It really is an amazing set-up but then again I'm a sucker for a straight six with a snail. There is something about the balance of the car which is nice.

Look at what can be done with the barra in the 'Falcon Ranchero':

(This is heavily modified running 98 pump fuel)

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

A MIRACLE posted:

Apparently we get the Commodore now, albeit 6AT only setup (Chevy SS). Maybe it's a sign of things to come?

The 2015 SS will come with a 6MT option.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kinfolk Jones posted:

The 2015 SS will come with a 6MT option.

I'm seriously considering buying the 2015 and importing it to Canada (since the assholes won't sell it here). It ticks all the boxes for me: V8, magnetic shocks, stick shift and lots of functional space for actually carrying things and people.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They project a picture of a horse on the ground from beneath the side mirrors.

Please tell me you're joking because this is believable and I don't know whether I should laugh at the joke or just sigh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PCOS Bill posted:

Please tell me you're joking because this is believable and I don't know whether I should laugh at the joke or just sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxwE5kiuuk

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That is awesome and I want it. But I'm pretty much a 5 year old.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I give it two weeks after the first cars are delivered before someone turns that into a My Little Pony projection light.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

MrChips posted:

I give it two weeks after the first cars are delivered before someone turns that into a My Little Pony projection light.

They've been an option since at least 2013.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

On the bright side, it makes it easy to know who to avoid interacting with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why is this.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm a 32 year old man and that's awesome.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was referring to the 'my little pony' part.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PCOS Bill posted:

Why is this.

bilt frord tuff

e: ford MUSTANG fifty year of AMERICA

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

oRenj9 posted:

Not even stand-alone, they are bundled with the heated seats. I have them, they get scratched up and look like crap before the end of the first year no matter what.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That is possibly the lamest thing I've ever seen on a car. It's just so unbelievably tacky. The fact it comes as an option on the car is amazing. Can you get that poo poo taken out because I'd be embarrassed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So you've never seen a (for example) Range Rover? Lots of cars have them.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

KozmoNaut posted:

I get 25mpg in my 156hp 4-banger.

Chew on that for a while.

90% of my daily driving is a very short commute that I should actually be cycling or walking.
I get 16.7 miles per US gallon from my 2 litre Honda.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Throatwarbler posted:

So you've never seen a (for example) Range Rover? Lots of cars have them.

I work at a place that has business ties with JLR and I'm yet to see it on them. I'll make a point of looking out for them now though, it just seems like a really weird, pointless thing to add on to a car.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
It's for when you forget which car you're getting into\out of. :v:

I did an internship at a JLR dealer - it wasn't in America and it wasn't scummy like those. Anyway, one of the senior salesmen said "You have no idea how many customers don't know what car they bought".

For I've never seen that projection. They all had illuminated side sills with the name of the brand though, again, presumably, in case you forget what car it is.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hello Spaceman posted:

90% of my daily driving is a very short commute that I should actually be cycling or walking.
I get 16.7 miles per US gallon from my 2 litre Honda.

I get 25-28mpg out of a 1.5l Toyota engine, 40-43 from a Yamaha 600cc, or 13 on a really good day from a Jeep 4.0

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

88h88 posted:

I work at a place that has business ties with JLR and I'm yet to see it on them. I'll make a point of looking out for them now though, it just seems like a really weird, pointless thing to add on to a car.

The Evoque started the trend, with its silhouette being part of the projection from under the side mirror. The whole point of the projection, though, is to provide illumination next to the door so that you (presumably) walk up to the car and don't stand in a puddle or dogshit or something that wasn't there when you parked it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

The Evoque started the trend, with its silhouette being part of the projection from under the side mirror. The whole point of the projection, though, is to provide illumination next to the door so that you (presumably) walk up to the car and don't stand in a puddle or dogshit or something that wasn't there when you parked it.

my 06 f-150 has a puddle light, i guess they just didn't have the sense to make it less functional to remind me what i'm driving.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've never understood why it's on the mirror.

Doesn't it swing out and not illuminate the puddle anymore once the door swings open?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'd rather have it there than in a hole on my fender or my pillar to be honest.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Olivil posted:

I'd rather have it there than in a hole on my fender or my pillar to be honest.

You could put them in the door sill/underbody itself but that sounds like its just begging for corrosion and electrical problems. Side mirrors are already wired for power mirrors anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ziploc posted:

I've never understood why it's on the mirror.

Doesn't it swing out and not illuminate the puddle anymore once the door swings open?

Usually they illuminate when you unlock the car with the remote.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fucknag posted:

No it didn't.

LS with a flatplane crank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxngbwE8jg

Notice how it sounds like a big-rear end 4 cylinder, and not a V8 rumble.

The Mustang video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCNfwrMW_U&t=42s

It's high-revving and strung out (and for the record I think it sounds amazing), but it still sounds very much like a classic American V8.

Unless they put crossover headers on it to bring back the uneven exhaust pulse spacing for stealth reasons, that is not the sound of a flatplane V8. It's all just car mag wanking as usual.

It sounds like a Ferrari to me, which is why I thought it was flat crank. But you're right that it sounds nothing like that LS. And you're right that it sounds amazing. :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cream_Filling posted:

You could put them in the door sill/underbody itself but that sounds like its just begging for corrosion and electrical problems. Side mirrors are already wired for power mirrors anyway.

Inside of the door. Works perfectly when getting out but

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Usually they illuminate when you unlock the car with the remote.
not so much.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PeterWeller posted:

I'm not so sure. You'd give up 20 HP, the LSD, the best shifter in a FWD car, and the gigantic K-series aftermarket.

The Mazda manual gearboxes are very nice

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nodoze posted:

And while the 3 is down on power it does have more torque. Really, what would keep the Civic Si an interesting option is the LSD, but the 3 is just such a vastly nicer car in every other way.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the bigger problem with LR is that they sell Range Rovers for a half million dollars now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wheeee posted:

And while the 3 is down on power it does have more torque. Really, what would keep the Civic Si an interesting option is the LSD, but the 3 is just such a vastly nicer car in every other way.

I have not personally driven an Si but I've read a lot of so-so things about the steering feel and such, while the Mazda 3 has both good reviews and I have driven a few of them and can attest it's pretty nice for what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nodoze posted:

Oh for sure. I've driven older 3s with nice shifters, but they aren't as nice as the Honda's.

Wheeee posted:

Like 5-10 ft/lbs. Remember, they use the 2.4 now. The rest is debatable. I prefer the 3's looks and love hatchbacks. But the Si has Honda reliability, and the sedan at least is one of the few cars left that doesn't feel like a bunker. And Honda is the king of cubbies to stash all your crap.

The best part about the 2.5 in the 3 is it comes with revised instruments that make the center dial the tach, like how God intended.