Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Going into my trophies sometimes makes it way louder. drat those CPU intensive JPEGs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe I'll try to make a video :/

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PT stands for Pandora Tomorrow

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

a cop posted:

Hahahahaha no it doesn't !!!!!! That's silly !!!!!!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a cop posted:

Norman Reedus is the new Sam Fisher :aaaaa:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Legitimate question now. How loud/ hot is normal for the ps4. I had all my gaming systems in my entertainment console including my husbands xbone and none ever overheated or got loud, except eventually my 60gb fatty ps3 did, which I realized had dried up thermal paste. So I repaired the ps3 and now it's ridiculously cool and the fan is ~whisper quiet ~. To be safe I keep it on a table now for better airflow.

When I got my ps4 I also had it in the shelf initially, but while installing Metro off the disk the fan was on so high and loud that I freaked out and now also just leave it on the table. I continued to install metro after that and it wasn't horribly loud anymore.

In comparison, we installed like 6 games off disks into the xbone inside the same entertainment shelf and I barely heard the fan. Heat wise too it was normal. Same for my 360 that I have left on like 12+ hours a day for 5 years.

So on my table are sitting the ps3 and ps4, but the ps4 still is significantly louder than the ps3, even when ps4 is in the home screen with all apps closed. Not horrifically loud like a vacuum cleaner but like 2x as loud as the 60gb ps3. Is the fan just loud/ high in general?

Mine was pretty noisy until i laid it down horizontally last week and now i can barely hear it.

Don't have it vertical y'all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm a big dumb idiot and probably the only person interested in it but was anything shown of Disgaea 5? I recall them saying they would have a new trailer for TGS that actually showed SOMETHING off and kinda interested despite the fact it looks like a early ps3 game.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain the DriveClub pricing/SKU poo poo to me?

So the PS+ edition is just a basic thing with 9 starter cars and X number of tracks. That's free obviously. The retail edition has everything. Then there's a season pass on top of that for $25 which is a years worth of extra cars/etc. Can I upgrade the PS+ to the retail/digital edition and if so is there any price reduction or is just $50-60? This is a weird one but can you add the season pass to the PS+ edition?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm a big dumb idiot and probably the only person interested in it but was anything shown of Disgaea 5? I recall them saying they would have a new trailer for TGS that actually showed SOMETHING off and kinda interested despite the fact it looks like a early ps3 game.

There was only a brief trailer, but apparently IGN will have alot of info for the game tomorrow. I heard it was on the floor, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we get some screenshots/gameplay of it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

Can someone explain the DriveClub pricing/SKU poo poo to me?

So the PS+ edition is just a basic thing with 9 starter cars and X number of tracks. That's free obviously. The retail edition has everything. Then there's a season pass on top of that for $25 which is a years worth of extra cars/etc. Can I upgrade the PS+ to the retail/digital edition and if so is there any price reduction or is just $50-60? This is a weird one but can you add the season pass to the PS+ edition?

There's the PS+ Edition, which you can get for free and can be upgraded to the full version for $50 - this is also the preorder price on the store for PS+ havers since, well, that's how they've priced the game; a full $60 is for non-Plus members. There's also the season pass that gets you all the DLC they have mapped out for like the next year, but there's also going to be a bunch of content updates they're putting out for free. There's some circular graph out there that lays out what you'll get in exchange for giving them extra money and what's free.

I don't know how it shakes out in terms of Season Pass + PS+ Edition, but that's a really good goddamn question.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I take it PS+ won't get any of the free updates either?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope Driveclub is good enough that the PS+ tactic works out for them. I mean it's basically a massive unlimited demo that comes with a discount for the full game. I'd love if more non-narrative games did that sort of thing.

I mean Sony's guaranteed that I'll play (and possibly even buy) a non-Burnout racing game. That's an achievement in itself.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Does Drive Club have any sort of points system? I loved that in Project Gotham.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That graph is cool and is probably something Destiny would have benefited from.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

echronorian posted:

That graph is cool and is probably something Destiny would have benefited from.

If would have to be a .gif for the content that is limited time only

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

a cop posted:

Does Drive Club have any sort of points system? I loved that in Project Gotham.

There's a system in it called Fame that is basically Kudos from PGR (shocking as the Design Lead from PGR 1-3 works at Evo now). The game is built around that and the leaderboards, which are incorporated not unlike Burnout Paradise's, where upon hitting the flag for a Fame challenge, the game will pull the person above you's time/speed/whatever and your goal is to beat it for maximum Fame (you still earn some for simply doing the thing or coming close, but not as much as if you beat the previous score). Fame helps you unlock cars and if you're in a Club it gets pooled into the Club's fame level (which goes from 1 to 50, with a car unlocked for all members every ten levels).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The Cameo posted:

There's a system in it called Fame that is basically Kudos from PGR (shocking as the Design Lead from PGR 1-3 works at Evo now).

Sold

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
What's the best place to watch trailers and videos on my PS4? I used the IGN app to watch the new P.T. and MGSV trailers, but they were pretty choppy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

What's the best place to watch trailers and videos on my PS4? I used the IGN app to watch the new P.T. and MGSV trailers, but they were pretty choppy.

youtube.tv on the browser works well.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Legitimate question now. How loud/ hot is normal for the ps4. I had all my gaming systems in my entertainment console including my husbands xbone and none ever overheated or got loud, except eventually my 60gb fatty ps3 did, which I realized had dried up thermal paste. So I repaired the ps3 and now it's ridiculously cool and the fan is ~whisper quiet ~. To be safe I keep it on a table now for better airflow.

When I got my ps4 I also had it in the shelf initially, but while installing Metro off the disk the fan was on so high and loud that I freaked out and now also just leave it on the table. I continued to install metro after that and it wasn't horribly loud anymore.

In comparison, we installed like 6 games off disks into the xbone inside the same entertainment shelf and I barely heard the fan. Heat wise too it was normal. Same for my 360 that I have left on like 12+ hours a day for 5 years.

So on my table are sitting the ps3 and ps4, but the ps4 still is significantly louder than the ps3, even when ps4 is in the home screen with all apps closed. Not horrifically loud like a vacuum cleaner but like 2x as loud as the 60gb ps3. Is the fan just loud/ high in general?

my ps4 is noisy as gently caress and the fans go apeshit, it's driving me crazy. i'm returning mine and gonna wait until the first hardware revision or something comes along in a year or so and they've fixed whatever problems people are having. i don't think it's widespread but at the same time enough people appear to be having issues that i don't think it's worth the run around potentially getting a replacement (or 2, 3, 4 etc) that has the same problem. just seems to be that if you buy a console within the first year or so of launch you're gambling on getting some kind of hardware problems. it sucks but at least my digital purchases will still be there tied to my psn account when i buy a new ps4 next year or whatever

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I haven't read all your posts about your situation, but afaik Sony is pretty good about replacing your PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Organs posted:

my ps4 is noisy as gently caress and the fans go apeshit, it's driving me crazy. i'm returning mine and gonna wait until the first hardware revision or something comes along in a year or so and they've fixed whatever problems people are having. i don't think it's widespread but at the same time enough people appear to be having issues that i don't think it's worth the run around potentially getting a replacement (or 2, 3, 4 etc) that has the same problem. just seems to be that if you buy a console within the first year or so of launch you're gambling on getting some kind of hardware problems. it sucks but at least my digital purchases will still be there tied to my psn account when i buy a new ps4 next year or whatever

if you wanna play ps4 get another one. holding out for new hardware is probably going to be a real long wait since they're selling so many and only a couple people post about their fan problem and how impossible it is to RMA something in 2014.

If you're cool enough waiting 2+ years for new hardware to play ps4 why did you buy a ps4 in the first place?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Organs posted:

I wouldn't bet on there being a hardware revision next year. Also it's unlikely you're going to have to go through multiple replacements, it's not the RROD, it's a normal level of fault in a popular system which has sold a large number of units quickly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

echronorian posted:

I haven't read all your posts about your situation, but afaik Sony is pretty good about replacing your PS4.

If anyone is on the fence about their hardware definitely do it before the one-year mark hits and they will probably get a lot tougher about it

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Just get that RMA done. You're not in Scandinavia where it takes more than three freaking weeks.

e: The fan on my second PS4 had a certain slight rattle to it that wasn't constant but came in slow waves, it got better over time as it lubricated itself by use and settled in, plastic expands and settles a tad. A steady constant rattle or mis-noise that never goes away = RMA. gently caress me if I have to send the PS4 in a third time, I think Swedish consumer protection laws entitle me to get my money back if I end up with another one that has to go in.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 19, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The fan loudness issue is (from what I've seen in computers) something like a part not being screwed in/attached properly or in rare cases a defective fan, so there's no real benefit to waiting for new hardware: fans aren't going to improve for years since they're such a basic item, and there's always the chance of being unlucky enough to get an electronic that was not built properly when its this popular. Getting it fixed sounds like the way to go (and if you bought it from Amazon, contact them and they may straight up send you a new PS4).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Crap - I might have to buy a camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0zH4Z57mY

NSA already has all my iris scans etc from my Kinect days anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, if they can use that tech in other stuff, I'd buy a camera in a heartbeat. Even if it just scans your face and uses it to make monsters in Silent Hills or lets you play as yourself in some sci fi shoot em up, it'd be pretty badass.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

:drat:

EDIT: Imagine walking up to a mirror in a first person Silent Hill and seeing your own face reflected.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
That guy has the male equivalent to Bette Davis eyes. ( Peter Lorre eyes??? )

For it to capture that is pretty impressive.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

echronorian posted:

:drat:

EDIT: Imagine walking up to a mirror in a first person Silent Hill and seeing your own face reflected.

Man they could do some seriously hellish stuff with this camera. I wonder if they can go Metal Gear on us and access it without us knowing. Would be great if it just surprised us with some evil baby version of ourselves running around (it's always evil babies)

Edit: Jesus christ the Destiny thread moves fast, 400 posts since I looked at it this morning I think. Signal to noise is not terrific since it's probably 25% loot reports, 25% people reflecting on the quality of the game, 25% desperately trying to organize some matchmaking..

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 19, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

And this is just as EA is dumping Game Face (which I think only ever made it in to FIFA) which is a hilarious and awesome thing.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Get in the goon group and look for people to play with from the app. It's really easy that way.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

They had the camera scan for Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 with the 360 vision camera, which worked like rear end. It took like an hour for me to get it to work.

It was also supposed to be in Perfect Dark for N64, using the Game Boy Camera, but it got cut.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Pleads posted:

And this is just as EA is dumping Game Face (which I think only ever made it in to FIFA) which is a hilarious and awesome thing.

I think it was in Fight Night Champion as well. It ain't work so good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pleads posted:

It was in UFC too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4jatcylSmo&t=1106s

Tinkeron
Sep 11, 2005
I was curious what the quality of matchmaking is like on the PS4 and what presence there is if any of dedicated server stuff? I just picked up one this week and love knowing it'll always look and perform better, but what online quality is like isn't very clear anywhere or discussed in the OP. It's the only flag my 360-straight-to-bone friends have left to wave.

Also curious if the Sony gold headset is still the best option out there, and if it's quality enough for soundwhoring in my Caller Doody shootymans.

Tinkeron fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 19, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tinkeron posted:

I was curious what the quality of matchmaking is like on the PS4 and what presence there is if any of dedicated server stuff? I just picked up one this week and love knowing it'll always look and perform better, but what online quality is like isn't very clear anywhere or discussed in the OP. It's the only flag my 360-straight-to-bone friends have left to wave.

Also curious if the Sony gold headset is still the best option out there, and if it's quality enough for soundwhoring in my Caller Doody shootymans.
If the game is using PS+ I think they're using Sony's Servers iirc, otherwise it's the companies servers.

I'd say buy a good set of headphones like the MDR-V6 or a good Beyerdynamics one, then a desktop microphone. That's just me though, otherwise I heard good things about the Sony Gold headset.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Reverse Centaur posted:

I do hope that NBA 2K15 actually has a few different voice options this time around so my dorky looking white dude from Oxford doesn't sound like god drat Iggy Izalea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Tiger Woods used the Xbox camera and it sucked. I actually got a good result with it in Rainbow Six, though.

• Locked thread