Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

Duh, yes, img has no descendants.

In your example you might be able to :before on the b, or even (ha) on *. Hrmph.

I'm going to update this iPad to 8 tomorrow, but in the interim one more weird thought: set content: "" on all img as well?

b:before { content: "\200c"; } works! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Lumpy posted:

Here's mine: you probably shouldn't.

I like to say inputs are the electrical outlets of web design. An architect can design the craziest building, but people are going to expect to see the same normal thing when they go to plug in a lamp.

This is also why I asked about returning inputs (specifically selects) to their default appearance.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Hope this is the right place to ask. I have a friend who is looking for a particular sort of CMS.

Here's the rundown: He sells customized products to various (and numerous) clients. They each have their own "products," but they always reorder the same ones. As a made-up example, business cards: everyone has their own cards, but they reorder the same ones each time.

What he wants to be able to do is have a site that clients can log in to that will show them their products and theirs only, and let them order and send both him and the client an order email (it doesn't have to process payment or anything - he wants to do that manually - it just needs to tell him "GoonCo wants 2 more orders of their custom right-angle dildos" or the like).

Seems like a simple spin on some standard ecommerce software but I can't find anything like it anywhere. I might be using the wrong search terms since I don't know exactly what to call this.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
How do I show/hide something without having the browser reinterpret the width of the containing element?

I've got a table that's sortable by each of its <th> headings, and the currently selected heading displays a little bootstrap glyphicon to signify. When I change to sort by a different heading, the whole table gets shimmied a little because of the increase in size to the newly selected heading and decrease in size of the old one.

I guess I'd like the table's size to be fixed as if all of the icons were present.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Newf posted:

How do I show/hide something without having the browser reinterpret the width of the containing element?

I've got a table that's sortable by each of its <th> headings, and the currently selected heading displays a little bootstrap glyphicon to signify. When I change to sort by a different heading, the whole table gets shimmied a little because of the increase in size to the newly selected heading and decrease in size of the old one.

I guess I'd like the table's size to be fixed as if all of the icons were present.

Do you just want a black space where the glyphicon would be? If so, can you do visibility:hidden instead of display:none?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Do you just want a black space where the glyphicon would be? If so, can you do visibility:hidden instead of display:none?

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks :)

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Newf posted:

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks :)

Oh, hey, Colin, what's up.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

Oggumogoggum posted:

Oh, hey, Colin, what's up.

First page of post history includes Morrowind, lots of computers, and Ottawa. I am stumped.

(Unless maybe my avatar text tipped you off?)

e: Oh, I have it now. To answer your question, not much. Hi.

Newf fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 16, 2014

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
What's the goto for easy plug in play analytics / stats tracking for startups these days? I plan to play with New Relic a bit for optimization, but what should I use in long term for tracking page views etc.?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ahz posted:

What's the goto for easy plug in play analytics / stats tracking for startups these days? I plan to play with New Relic a bit for optimization, but what should I use in long term for tracking page views etc.?

Google Analytics is pretty sweet, I particularly like the "Real Time" views

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

This is going to sound retarded as poo poo, but here it goes.

We currently have a Wordpress website. It's been great so far and we like it. However, we want to improve on a lot of the external content that the site relies on. Right now everything is using iframes and it's terrible. We can't customize the styles and the content isn't responsive. All of this external content can instead be pulled in via an API which would allow us to style it however we wanted. The problem is Wordpress. I don't really want to create a new template in Wordpress because I still want the page to be editable via the WYSIWYG box by the mouth breathers here that normally update the website. I've played around with creating our own shortcodes which mostly works but then this means if I want to implement caching or easy session/cookie management, I have to re-create the wheel and do it all via this one page shortcode script. That, and ajax isn't really viable.

My solution is that I want to install Laravel and Wordpress in the same site where Wordpress would sit at / and Laravel would sit at /api/ so that I can do ajax requests to /api/markets, /api/weather, /api/news, etc. and still have the comfort of coding the custom api poo poo in an organized manor with Laravel.

It's either that, or I install Laravel in a subdomain (api.example.com) and then setup a shortcode with attributes that then does a curl to api.example.com that returns an iframe that I've styled and allowed to be responsive. This method, however, has the problem of same-origin policy and I won't be able to request via ajax. However, since it's an iframe, I might be able to now get away without ajax.

Is this insane? Is there a better way?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 16, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not a heavy developer, but why not have a custom templates that embed whatever you need to and still have people use the WYSIWYG? If it's a matter of the content being split by your embeds, you can just use custom fields to have multiple text areas in the WYSIWYG interface.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

The Dave posted:

I'm not a heavy developer, but why not have a custom templates that embed whatever you need to and still have people use the WYSIWYG? If it's a matter of the content being split by your embeds, you can just use custom fields to have multiple text areas in the WYSIWYG interface.

The issue here is that I'd have to re-create a caching system and I'd have to manage cookies and/or session data. That alone isn't that big of deal as it's fairly easy to do. However, one of the APIs gives us market data for several different commodities. I need a user to be able to select from a drop down box a commodity they want market data for and it delivers it via an ajax request and saves a cookie so the next time they visit, they don't have to continuously choose the commodity. I'm leaning towards doing the separate domain for the api's now and just doing iframes. That way I can refresh the market data without a user reloading the page and I can manage separate session data. Unless this is a bad idea?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 16, 2014

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
What are the recommendations for HTTPS'ing up a site these days?

Of course I plan to SSL up the auth and purchase areas of my site, but should I bother with the actual back-end user app and ssl?

OASE
Feb 13, 2012
Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.
Website works as intended in Chrome and Safari but for some reason Firefox just refuses to apply the stylesheet.

test1.grant-priest.com

My skill level - very low
Heres the source code, have validated it with no errors.
jsfiddle.net/mkda3ugy/

Any ideas?

OASE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 17, 2014

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
change your CSS links in the head to this format

code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" />

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

OASE posted:

Edit: Sorted.

I still cannot fathom why people in a help forum edit their posts to remove their questions. Or don't actually post what their solution was....

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Lumpy posted:

I still cannot fathom why people in a help forum edit their posts to remove their questions. Or don't actually post what their solution was....

Agreed, it is bad form! Should be probatable in CoC.

OASE
Feb 13, 2012
Yer that was stupid, to be honest i had found the issue before i realised someone had replied and thought it was too trivial to be worth leaving around.

Editted back to the original post.

Thanks streetlamp.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
anyone good with Compass, specifically transitions?

How come this works:
code:
element {
   transition: opacity 2s;
}
but this doesn't?

code:
@import 'compass/css3/transition';
element {
   @include transition-property('opacity');
   @include transition-duration(2);
}
What am I missing?

Other Compass mixins work fine.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fuf posted:

anyone good with Compass, specifically transitions?

How come this works:
code:
element {
   transition: opacity 2s;
}
but this doesn't?

code:
@import 'compass/css3/transition';
element {
   @include transition-property('opacity');
   @include transition-duration(2);
}
What am I missing?

Other Compass mixins work fine.

a) Check out the compiled CSS.
b) Use Autoprefixer and forget about Compass' prefixing mixins.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
skipped a) and went straight for b), thanks. :)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm having a heck of a time wrestling with this table.

What I want is for there two be two cells with scrollbars on each.
The table should confine itself to the full page.
The body of the page has a 10px black border.
However as you can see the table pushes itself beyond the bottom of the body.

How to fix?

code:
        <table style="height:100%;">
            <thead></thead>
            <tbody>
		        <tr style="height:100%;">
			        <td style="width:50%;overflow:scroll;" valign="top" id="console"></td>
			        <td style="width:50%;overflow:scroll;" valign="top" id="debugconsole"></td>
		        </tr>
            </tbody>
	</table>
CSS

code:
body {
    background-color: #ddf;
    border: solid 10px #000;
    color: #333;
    font-size: 11px;
    font-family: Courier;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
}

table {
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border-spacing: 0;
    border: 0 none;
    font-size: 11px;
    font-family: Courier;
    width: 100%;
    table-layout: fixed;
}

td {
    border: 1 solid;
    white-space: nowrap;
    height: 100%;
}

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
box-sizing: border-box? Set 100% height on the html element?

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I'm starting to feel like the front page of my website (lawyerist.com) is a big mess. The problem is we need to showcase several different streams of content, all in a fairly narrow (640px) main column. There are articles (longer posts, once a day), notes (quick posts, several a day), Q&A posts from our forum, and the most popular post in each of our categories.

I'd welcome ideas for improving the design (and making it less fragmented), or just links to websites that you think do a good job organizing different streams of content on one page.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think a quick way to tidy it up would be to leverage the tabbed design your Popular Posts section 'establishes' by moving all your other sections up into a tabbed section next to your Articles. It would give your other sections more visibility by rescuing their headers from below the fold, increase the available size for them as they could then occupy the same space as Articles without bloating it, and you already have the tab-style graphics done on their headers.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone know any good tutorials for styling forms? Specifically text input areas.

Lumpy posted:

Here's mine: you probably shouldn't.

Much like scroll bars, form elements should look like form elements. Make sure you do actual user testing with real humans on your styled version and a normal form. People expect certain thing to look and behave certain ways, forms is one of those things where what is "obvious" to you as a designer can really screw up normal folks. Not saying don't ever, but be very careful and TEST
I'm not sure what you mean by styled versus normal; how badly are people designing forms these days, that they don't even look like form elements anymore? When I style a form I might do something like this; it's still clear what it is, but it's got a little color and style to it.

pre:
.content {
	background: #bbb;
	textarea {
		background: #ddd;
		color: #666;
		border-radius: 3px;
		border: 1px solid #bbb;
		&:focus {
			background: #fff;
			color: #333;
			border: 1px solid #6698a9;
		}
	}
}
I think that's all that Raskolnikov2089 is talking about, but I could be wrong. Now I have seen forms that irritate me - I don't like selects that don't look like selects anymore - but as long as common sense is used I don't see anything wrong with decorating them a bit.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

samglover posted:

I'm starting to feel like the front page of my website (lawyerist.com) is a big mess.

It's very similar to another messy site: http://www.cnet.com

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jackpot posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by styled versus normal; how badly are people designing forms these days, that they don't even look like form elements anymore?

Yes, yes they do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

samglover posted:

I'm starting to feel like the front page of my website (lawyerist.com) is a big mess. The problem is we need to showcase several different streams of content, all in a fairly narrow (640px) main column. There are articles (longer posts, once a day), notes (quick posts, several a day), Q&A posts from our forum, and the most popular post in each of our categories.

I'd welcome ideas for improving the design (and making it less fragmented), or just links to websites that you think do a good job organizing different streams of content on one page.

Your content is scattered across sidebars and main content areas and I can't really figure out why. You have five different visual styles for displaying posts. There is little to no breathing room anywhere on the page. The Verge-like text over image treatment at the top is poorly executed because you have text on top of complicated images with text in them (which feels cluttered and claustrophobic). And after those posts, there's no obvious hierarchy for the rest of the content on the the page.

It's not my favorite site in the world, but I've always thought Wired does an okay job of delivering a large amount of content in a relatively easy to use format. The biggest things they're doing that you're not is A) using a consistent treatment for displaying posts and B) creating a very obvious hierarchy.

Go and wireframe the page and start over, imo, and when you think you need 20px of margins, give yourself 40. ;)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are analytics available? Because 960 is a really small resolution at this point to design for unless it represents a significant portion of your audience.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

jackpot posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by styled versus normal; how badly are people designing forms these days, that they don't even look like form elements anymore?

I couldn't find an example in a few minutes of searching, but I see crap like this way too often these days. Sure it looks fancy, but it always fails the Would Your Mom Know How To Use It test.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

kedo posted:

Your content is scattered across sidebars and main content areas and I can't really figure out why. You have five different visual styles for displaying posts. There is little to no breathing room anywhere on the page. The Verge-like text over image treatment at the top is poorly executed because you have text on top of complicated images with text in them (which feels cluttered and claustrophobic). And after those posts, there's no obvious hierarchy for the rest of the content on the the page.

Go and wireframe the page and start over, imo, and when you think you need 20px of margins, give yourself 40. ;)

That's pretty much how I'm feeling. I added a blur effect to those images for now, which definitely helps. But maybe I do need to go back and re-think the front page as a whole.

The Dave posted:

Are analytics available? Because 960 is a really small resolution at this point to design for unless it represents a significant portion of your audience.

It's a site for lawyers, so 10–15% of our visitors are still using 1024x768 screens. I could give myself a bit more room, but if I leave room for padding, 960 is about right. With a 300px sidebar for our ads, plus some padding, that leaves about 640px for the content column. The problem, of course, is that eliminates most horizontal layout options. We're considering taking the sidebar off of the front page, but that would take away a good chunk of ad revenue.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you tried A/B testing putting just one 300x250 there and seeing if it actually has that much of a revenue impact versus the ginormous ad combo? atleast you could get to 100% width quicker.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

samglover posted:

It's a site for lawyers, so 10–15% of our visitors are still using 1024x768 screens. I could give myself a bit more room, but if I leave room for padding, 960 is about right. With a 300px sidebar for our ads, plus some padding, that leaves about 640px for the content column. The problem, of course, is that eliminates most horizontal layout options. We're considering taking the sidebar off of the front page, but that would take away a good chunk of ad revenue.

Would you be able to do something like this? Could buy you some more horizontal space.

code:
====================================================

Post title lorem ipsum        Post title lorem ipsum

Post content lorem            Post content lorem
ipsum dolor sit amet          ipsum dolor sit amet

** ADS **

Post title lorem ipsum        Post title lorem ipsum

Post content lorem            Post content lorem
ipsum dolor sit amet          ipsum dolor sit amet

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

kedo posted:

I couldn't find an example in a few minutes of searching, but I see crap like this way too often these days. Sure it looks fancy, but it always fails the Would Your Mom Know How To Use It test.
When I was making my post I almost added "Except for those sites with inputs you can't see," but I couldn't find any examples so I didn't. Yeah, those are terrible and shouldn't exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jackpot posted:

When I was making my post I almost added "Except for those sites with inputs you can't see," but I couldn't find any examples so I didn't. Yeah, those are terrible and shouldn't exist.

Hiding file inputs is relatively common.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Hiding file inputs is relatively common.
I don't mean hiding like not displayed, I just mean hard to recognize.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
I'm ready to deploy, are there any good guides on SEO basics I should look at? I'm not looking to game the system, but just put some good fundamentals in.

Also, any good guides on deployment checklists? I'm using Heroku /S3 if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Not sure if web development is necessarily the place to ask about this but hopefully some people itt have run into this problem:

My work has a growing collection of RESTful webservices implemented to try and move towards some kind of SOA. A recurring problem we run into follows this pattern:

-Hey, service X returned a 500 in prod at 11:40 yesterday!
-That's weird. I see a uniqueness constraint violation in the logs. What data did you send in?
-We don't know. Don't you log that?

Basically, our security team prevents us from blanket-logging all requests at the server level (including POST request bodies, etc.). They're afraid that this will result in PID & PII getting written to a logfile somewhere, which is a legitimate concern for the kinds of services we run. I presume it could also result in us getting sued because it writes a credit card number somewhere or something.

Does anyone have an inspired solution to this problem that doesn't involve railroading security and could be used across multiple webservices undergoing rapid development? For instance, I could create a configurable logger in our service archetype that captured all request data but then I'd have to be concerned about some random developer not actually configuring it when they add their new /payments API.

My gut feeling is that the easiest fix is to just to have the servers log all service traffic using a protected logfile with limited access to make auditors happy. However I have no clue if this is actually "a thing people do" and at the end of the day developers need access to it for debugging prod issues so I'm not sure what that limited access would actually mean in practice...