Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Transverse Citizen : Danger Star update time!

quote:

Pledged In Total

Backers So Far

Total towards current goal

20 DAYS TO REACH GOAL

1/3 the way through your time limit, 1/100 the way to your goal! Good luck guys! :wink:

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
On track for $25k+!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tabletop mechs are also far more maneuverable than any game has tried to mimic. I'm pretty sure jump jets would have actual directional control for one, so you don't just run forward and jump, and hope everything works out for you.

As said prior, you could DFA in 4, but with the actual amount of control you have, it doesn't happen often, or even rarely.
MW2 had direction JJ control :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tabletop mechs are also far more maneuverable than any game has tried to mimic. I'm pretty sure jump jets would have actual directional control for one, so you don't just run forward and jump, and hope everything works out for you.

As said prior, you could DFA in 4, but with the actual amount of control you have, it doesn't happen often, or even rarely.

You could DFA in MW2 (And the AI even tried to do it to you! They were pretty bad at it though) but you got a lot of freedom with jump controls. You could full forward/back/left/right, up/down, and hard pivot left/right. MW2's jets also let you get the crazy full hundreds of meters worth of jump out of your jets, you could easily climb skyscrapers with them if you hopped from one to the next. Horizontal movement got you up to 300kph.

Been working on a MW2 speedrun, using a lot of jets. :P

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Never played or seen much of 2, but it seems like it mirrors the tabletop pretty well on the jumpjet front then.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
A friend of mine built a mech in MW2 mercs that was essentially just all jumpets and a small laser or a machinegun (can't remember which). What I do remember, is that the thing had enough directional thrust to basically just fly around everywhere. MW2 was a blast and a half.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

aniviron posted:

Been working on a MW2 speedrun, using a lot of jets. :P

IIRC there's a glitch that lets you 'skate' endlessly with jumpjets that just involves something silly and simple like holding two buttons at once. I'm not positive it's MW2, but that was the only game I know to have directional JJ controls so... yeah.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember that! I think it was powering down while jumpjetting laterally. Which had the bonus effect of you falling off radar, then showing up in a totally different location later.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Mechwarrior 2 was amazing just for letting me mount like thirty machine guns on a mech. I'd just hold down the trigger and in the space of a couple seconds I'd've ripped off every scrap of armor from whatever I was looking at.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
It also had a bug involving negative double heatsinks that would cause your tonnage to go negative, letting you put a 300 ton loadout of weapons onto a Firemoth. Oh and that Firemoth runs at 350km/h. With jumpjets.

Needless to say, multiplayer with friends was more akin to Unreal Tournament than Mechwarrior.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nightwisher posted:

It also had a bug involving negative double heatsinks that would cause your tonnage to go negative, letting you put a 300 ton loadout of weapons onto a Firemoth. Oh and that Firemoth runs at 350km/h. With jumpjets.

Needless to say, multiplayer with friends was more akin to Unreal Tournament than Mechwarrior.

That was an awesome bug, although you could overheat super quick!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I never realized there was a 50-ton Crab. It looks really drat cool.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Lemming posted:

Obviously I have stopped playing but I'm pretty sure Gwaihir's diseased brain had a hand in both the Menturion and the Gaussapult which were my two favorite robots.

I wasn't the only one to come up with it, but I did independently develop the Menturion. They had a lot of inertia to overcome after months and months of being essentially unusable as brawlers because of the firing delay while waiting for your missile bay doors to open; once PGI added the functionality to lock them open and you could reliably place 18 SRMs into something on a mech that was fast enough to get in position and an utter bastard to destroy or even meaningfully disable, they became really, really good. Couple that with engine limitations on the Hunchback that took 300+ XL Engine Lunchbacks off the table (and enough improvements to hit detection that the Hunch became an enormous liability in general) and the Medium Crown was largely passed over. The Menturion was super-fun when it first became viable because nobody knew what it was and pubbies would immediately go for the autocannon arm that was on the far side of your body from anything you cared about.

I still remember trying to convince an angry goon that my Ferro-Fibrious equipped Centurion wasn't retarded back when popular opinion was still that both were utter garbage.

If you're bringing a Menturion against good players, armor up your legs. They can kill you with an ammunition explosion, the rest of your body is so absurdly durable that the legs can go out first simply to incidental damage, and smart people who know what a Menturion is will immediately go for them because they know how much of a chore it is to peel through the armored onion that is your upper body. Also, be really loving careful about exposing your torso to a larger mech that is ready for for you because it represents pretty much all of your damage output and can get knocked out by one well-placed alpha if you let them get the shot.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Dramicus posted:

So the desync bug was definitely not fixed. Loads of goons were having serious desync problems still.

:smith:

I'll let them know even though I'm pretty sure they'll be getting lots of reports about it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
People are apparently in the CTS Mumble playing this right now in case anyone's interested... I suppose...

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Voyager I posted:

I wasn't the only one to come up with it, but I did independently develop the Menturion. They had a lot of inertia to overcome after months and months of being essentially unusable as brawlers because of the firing delay while waiting for your missile bay doors to open; once PGI added the functionality to lock them open and you could reliably place 18 SRMs into something on a mech that was fast enough to get in position and an utter bastard to destroy or even meaningfully disable, they became really, really good. Couple that with engine limitations on the Hunchback that took 300+ XL Engine Lunchbacks off the table (and enough improvements to hit detection that the Hunch became an enormous liability in general) and the Medium Crown was largely passed over. The Menturion was super-fun when it first became viable because nobody knew what it was and pubbies would immediately go for the autocannon arm that was on the far side of your body from anything you cared about.

I still remember trying to convince an angry goon that my Ferro-Fibrious equipped Centurion wasn't retarded back when popular opinion was still that both were utter garbage.

If you're bringing a Menturion against good players, armor up your legs. They can kill you with an ammunition explosion, the rest of your body is so absurdly durable that the legs can go out first simply to incidental damage, and smart people who know what a Menturion is will immediately go for them because they know how much of a chore it is to peel through the armored onion that is your upper body. Also, be really loving careful about exposing your torso to a larger mech that is ready for for you because it represents pretty much all of your damage output and can get knocked out by one well-placed alpha if you let them get the shot.

What is a Menturion, anyway? SRM-boat?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Trans game genre just got a little more crowded. PGI has some new competition.

http://www.transocean-game.com/

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

3xsrm6 2ml std engine hellbeast that, especially in the old days, was lethal as gently caress. All the missiles are located in one side torso. It's fast and compact so you can lose both arms and the other side torso while still retaining full functionality.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
3xSRM-6 (Artemis optional depending on how you spend your tonnage), 2xML in the CT, 4 tons of ammo split between the legs, 260 or 275 Standard Engine, Endo Steel and Ferro-Fibrous upgrades, and a whole shitload of armor.

Here's an example build: Menturion Classic. You can experiment with downgrading your engine slightly and shaving a little bit of fluff (the AMS is optional depending on the patch) to try things like more heat sinks or Artemis (again, depending on the patch). From my experience using these things a lot, there is no such thing as extraneous armor on a Menturion. Good torso twisting can reliably force enemies to work through every single point of armor you put on your upper body, which means your legs are comparatively vulnerable even with maximum armor. Some shaving can be justified if you really have other priorities but there is no 'waste' like armor on Atlas arms or something.

Edit: Artemis Menturion downgrades to a slightly slower engine, half-ton of AMS ammo, and a skimps on a few points of armor to squeeze on Artemis. I don't really play this game anymore so I don't know if Artemis or AMS are particularly desirable at the moment.

Note that 10-heat sink builds do not have the capacity to support their medium lasers as part of their general weapons rotation. They are not a primary weapon. You should be focused on getting yourself into position for good SRM volleys and then putting as many of these into your targets as possible. The medium lasers are there for situations where you don't want to commit SRMs (4 tons is enough ammo, but you can only take good shots) or when an SRM salvo leaves someone with a sliver of health and a little bit of extra damage will kill them or cripple their armament before they can get off another volley. They also let you chip in a little bit of damage at mid range and continue to do things even if you've been reduced to a walking popsicle (and if you finish a Menturion round with arms, you weren't riding it hard enough).

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 19, 2014

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I never realized there was a 50-ton Crab. It looks really drat cool.

It was on the cover of my first Battletech book:

drat was that an awesome book cover! :black101:
Too bad PGI makes bad video games. :(

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Huh, you can make Griffins go 110 kph or so with 4 SRM-6s and jump jets. It's probably not a good idea, but it sounds like it could be pretty funny.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
So, I have a (dumb) proposal to fix almost every problem in this game, and it would only take PGI about 5 minutes to implement (You are welcome to tell me how retarded I am).

Double all mech armor.

It's a 5 minute updating of the XML files that seems to fix poptarting, alpha cheesing, and lurmageddon by giving brawlers the opportunity to close distance before they get cored, thus eliminating the need for ghost heat and making rounds last longer thereby decreasing Cbill gain per hour, which is what PGI wanted when they nerfed Cbill earnings.

Why is this such a dumb idea that it's not even considered?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Selim Sivad posted:

So, I have a (dumb) proposal to fix almost every problem in this game, and it would only take PGI about 5 minutes to implement (You are welcome to tell me how retarded I am).

Double all mech armor.

It's a 5 minute updating of the XML files that seems to fix poptarting, alpha cheesing, and lurmageddon by giving brawlers the opportunity to close distance before they get cored, thus eliminating the need for ghost heat and making rounds last longer thereby decreasing Cbill gain per hour, which is what PGI wanted when they nerfed Cbill earnings.

Me and my brother have had this idea for a long time, maybe a year. I don't know why it doesn't come up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TT

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Selim Sivad posted:

Double all mech armor.

Welcome to MWO: Open Beta 2012. TTK has been an issue since the beginning.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Didn't they already double armor? or was that internals.

Not saying it wouldn't help of course.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

axelsoar posted:

Didn't they already double armor? or was that internals.

Not saying it wouldn't help of course.

Armour and internals got doubled back in closed beta. The big deal comes from the fact that fire rate for all weapons was effectively tripled vs tabletop, so time to kill is a big problem. Instead of addressing this (more armour, upping ammo per ton) they went all out on weapon nerfs and crazy game mechanics.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Selim Sivad posted:

Double all mech armor.

You'd probably have to up the ammo per ton for ballistics and energy, but I would not be opposed to this.

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.
With a double XP weekend coming up, is it better to try and level up lovely mechs you have to level up to unlock elite skills, or play world-destroying mechs that do a lot of damage in order to reap the benefits of more xp?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Having a MFB that you could rearm at might also help the TTK issue.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I think instead of doubling armor, doubling internals would make things interesting. Weapons would be crit before losing the limb, and ammo explosions would happen more often.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ardlen posted:

I think instead of doubling armor, doubling internals would make things interesting. Weapons would be crit before losing the limb, and ammo explosions would happen more often.

Maybe it's the rose tinted goggles talking but I though I remember losing weapons and shambling along being a very common thing in old MW games, in MWO it kinda feels like by the time you've lost a limb or some weapons you're seconds away from death.

I still have the "critical alert" from MW2 sound effect in my head. If MWO wasn't such a mis-managed mess, I'd so pay for a MW2 nostalgia pack that changed all the cockpit and bitching betty SFX to be more like MW2s.

Also give me enhanced imaging. Night Vision and Heat Vision are absolute rear end.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

EoRaptor posted:

Armour and internals got doubled back in closed beta. The big deal comes from the fact that fire rate for all weapons was effectively tripled vs tabletop, so time to kill is a big problem. Instead of addressing this (more armour, upping ammo per ton) they went all out on weapon nerfs and crazy game mechanics.

I made a thread way way way back in closed beta asking if they'd forgotten to scale down the weapon stats for the higher fire rate, honestly thinking it must have been an oversight. The thread was promptly closed by Bryan Eckman saying something that wasn't related to the question at all.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

EoRaptor posted:

They should just drop the tabletop mechanics and only see them as a vage baseline in terms of powerlevel, every MW game should've done that. The tabletop rules are designed to abstract what happens during a specific amount of time (10 seconds iirc) into one, all encompassing dice roll. While the background stories and tech readouts tell of those myriad of different weapons that you can find in every weapon category, we'll only ever see one of each, cause we're stuck with table-top rules tagged unto a 3d shooter and they will always be poo poo to balance, cause those rules were not designed with people beeing able to aim their god drat guns themselves. :psyduck:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

EA are saying that PGI are lying about owning the license for Wing Commander.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/transverse/news/ea_piranha_games_hat_keine_wing_commander_lizenz,51696,3078453.html

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
PGI probably bought the Wing Commander assets from a Chinese vendor using Bitcoin. It's legit.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I still think it was IGP, not PGI, that negotiated the license. As for ownership, etc, the devil is in the details. For instance, they might have been obligated to produce a game within a time frame or the license would revert. Or to produce an upfront or ongoing payment they couldn't afford, etc etc. There are lots of ways to claim a license that are meaningless in the real world.

If I went to MS and agreed to pay them 1 trillion dollars for access to the windows source code, but never paid, I could still claim to have access, because the possibility of getting access exists.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

EoRaptor posted:

I still think it was IGP, not PGI, that negotiated the license. As for ownership, etc, the devil is in the details. For instance, they might have been obligated to produce a game within a time frame or the license would revert. Or to produce an upfront or ongoing payment they couldn't afford, etc etc. There are lots of ways to claim a license that are meaningless in the real world.

If I went to MS and agreed to pay them 1 trillion dollars for access to the windows source code, but never paid, I could still claim to have access, because the possibility of getting access exists.

The point is that PGI Lied. Again. To the early backers of their new IP. Again.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
:pgi: is absolutely brilliant at trolling nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Feindfeuer posted:

They should just drop the tabletop mechanics and only see them as a vage baseline in terms of powerlevel, every MW game should've done that. The tabletop rules are designed to abstract what happens during a specific amount of time (10 seconds iirc) into one, all encompassing dice roll. While the background stories and tech readouts tell of those myriad of different weapons that you can find in every weapon category, we'll only ever see one of each, cause we're stuck with table-top rules tagged unto a 3d shooter and they will always be poo poo to balance, cause those rules were not designed with people beeing able to aim their god drat guns themselves. :psyduck:

No you don't understand taking the damage stats from a weapon that is supposed to hit about 50% of the time and making it pin-point accurate, all the time, is totally not going to cause balance problems.

• Locked thread