Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pizdec posted:

For much of the show the character of Doctor WHO wore a coat with a question mark on it and clocks are featured all the goddamn time.

Others have already talked about this, but seriously those question marks were a stupid idea and pretty much everybody but (I think) JNT knew it.... but he was the guy in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I like the question marks* but Rob Shearman hates them :smith:

*except on Four, they stink on Four.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love the question marks. Seven's question mark jumper is hilarious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

We've reached twelve doctors, and there's twelve hours on a clock, so a clock face theme fits at least for this season.

Oh god I just realised we're lucky we didn't end up with a clockface with doctor heads or something ridiculous like that.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They weren't even on the coat IIRC. Baker, Davison and Baker all wore them on the collar of their shirts, I believe. And McCoy had them on his sweater vest and that umbrella handle (both of which he protested against, in vain).

E: Also clocks have never been a recurring motif or whatever in DW now that I think about it, either. There may have been the odd episode here or there where a clock might feature for whatever reason, but I don't remember it being like a thing of DW that clocks are prominently featured.

Yeah, clocks have never been a "thing" for Doctor Who.
I hate the new titles and theme tune. The first couple of revival versions of the theme took me a while to get used to and eventually like, but I don't think I'll ever like this one.

MikeJF posted:

Oh god I just realised we're lucky we didn't end up with a clockface with doctor heads or something ridiculous like that

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=dr+who+clock&espv=2&biw=1184&bih=664&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aJUbVI-3CYi9uATK8YGICg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Season 5-6's "Tardis and lightning" intro stands out as the best for me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the intro and the new theme (if only because the opening beat isn't obscured by the orchestra anymore.) The clocks are a bit obvious but it does get across the basic idea of "space & time".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I hate everything new and alternatively everything old.

Wait, no. Let me try that again.

I love the clocks, personally. They match the much more controlled and less frenetic TARDIS piloting style of Twelve, so it makes sense to have clockwork instead of the chaos of the Time Vortex.

Also clocks rule :3:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really care about the opening, just give me back the middle 8 in the credits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finally broke down and bought DVD copies of The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani today.

:cripes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I finally broke down and bought DVD copies of The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani today.

My God, Colin Baker has Jeru held at gunpoint in a video store!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It's okay, you can just use the excuse that Mark of the Rani and The Two Doctors are out of print. That's how I justified getting Trial of a Time Lord the other day (an entire season of a BBC show for only $30? It's like they're trying to practically give it away.)

Unless you're not in Region 1 in which case you have no excuse.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 19, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Unless you're not in Region 1 in which case you have no excuse.

I'm not. Also I already own Trial and Two Doctors (which owns). I don't own Mark of the Rani though, I don't own Mark of the Rani!

Yet.

:negative:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I ended up ordering a decent haul from Amazon that just got here yesterday, because I wanted to own at least one DVD of every Doctor. I got:

1) The Beginning (An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, Edge of Destruction)
2) The Web of Fear
4) Genesis of the Daleks
5) The Caves of Androzani
6) Trial of a Time Lord

I already own City of Death and the Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray, now all I need is one of 7's stories. The best one that's still in print is Remembrance of the Daleks so I'll probably go with that one since I don't feel like shelling out 50 bucks a pop for The Curse of Fenric or Ghost Light.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The problem with buying all the DVD's is that you're eventually reduced to something like this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flicking through the opening themes, do we have a Time Vortex look in the new season yet? Given that it's not shown in the current opening.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Chokes McGee posted:

I hate everything new and alternatively everything old.

Wait, no. Let me try that again.

I love the clocks, personally. They match the much more controlled and less frenetic TARDIS piloting style of Twelve, so it makes sense to have clockwork instead of the chaos of the Time Vortex.

Also clocks rule :3:

I like that interpretation. In the past series, the TARDIS was thrown around the chaos because that could happen at any time. But Twelve so far has demonstrated remarkable levels of control of the TARDIS. He materialized someone into the TARDIS, found Robin Hood, and has made the TARDIS appear in some absurdly small places. Also there's a mechanical theme to this series so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I've liked about Moffat's series is that they play around with the exterior of the TARDIS a bunch; Amy floating out in space, Rory's dad having a nice relaxing sandwich with his feet hanging over the edge watching Earth, 11 hanging out the front door to use the phone. And I really liked in this last episode that lovely shot of the space panning across the tardis door (with some really nice use of parallax to make the 'bigger on the inside' effect come alive much more than it usually does) and the idea of the Doctor meditating on top of the TARDIS. And as well as that, the bit where he's just hanging out at the bottom of the ocean, doors open, checking out at the fish was fantastic.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

One thing I've liked about Moffat's series is that they play around with the exterior of the TARDIS a bunch; Amy floating out in space, Rory's dad having a nice relaxing sandwich with his feet hanging over the edge watching Earth, 11 hanging out the front door to use the phone. And I really liked in this last episode that lovely shot of the space panning across the tardis door (with some really nice use of parallax to make the 'bigger on the inside' effect come alive much more than it usually does) and the idea of the Doctor meditating on top of the TARDIS. And as well as that, the bit where he's just hanging out at the bottom of the ocean, doors open, checking out at the fish was fantastic.

That moment is one of the only times I've noticed extra-poor green-screen effects in this show: you can blatantly see the green screen's reflection on Matt's face. I never realized exactly what that looks like until a friend of mine pointed it out while watching "The Room" and now I always notice whenever it happens.

It's much easier to see in motion but you can kind of see it there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was just the make-up coming off and revealing Matt's natural Frankenstein's Creature skintone :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I was actually thinking of later in the episode when they're in flight in space, but yeah, that bit too, I guess. That was more of a gag though.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Well the question marks are on the shirt, not the coat, so...
They sure are. :doh:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: Also clocks have never been a recurring motif or whatever in DW now that I think about it, either. There may have been the odd episode here or there where a clock might feature for whatever reason, but I don't remember it being like a thing of DW that clocks are prominently featured.
I was thinking mainly about the fobwatch and the Gallifreyan clockwork-like symbols (the design of which I love by the way). It's not a prominent thing but the symbol has been used so I don't get the criticism. How else would you represent time anyway?

And it's not like there are clocks just whizzing by the TARDIS, the execultion is better than that. The clockwork vortex, the clock face turning into a spiral, the way the Time Vortex is still there and the TARDIS is flying by some planets that also happen to move in their orbits in a clockwork-like fashion, these are some pretty clever bits of graphical design. The only thing I don't like is how the Doctor's face (or eyes really) doesn't really mesh with the whole thing, it would be nice if they would integrate it better. The photo even looks low quality, as if the photographer was too afraid to get close to Capaldi staring like that.

MikeJF posted:

Oh god I just realised we're lucky we didn't end up with a clockface with doctor heads or something ridiculous like that.

So, uh, it looks like it's time for some Matt Smith and some Pertwee.

I can dig it.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 19, 2014

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
We all know what's missing, though!

"It's war o'clock!" was actually the War Doctor's catch phrase during the Time War.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pizdec posted:

I was thinking mainly about the fobwatch and the Gallifreyan clockwork-like symbols (the design of which I love by the way). It's not a prominent thing but the symbol has been used so I don't get the criticism. How else would you represent time anyway?

1. The fob watch is an invention of RTD's that was only introduced as a plot point to explain the return of the Master. It was never a thing in the classic series, and has (to the best of my knowledge) not actually been used in the current series since "Utopia".

2. If I'm thinking of the right thing, the Gallifreyan symbol you mention (aka the Seal of Rassilon) was originally used as set decoration for the Vogans in the classic series (in the story "Revenge of the Cybermen"). Then it got re-appropriated a couple of years later for the Time Lords in "The Deadly Assassin" and has been their thing ever since. So (again, if I'm thinking of the right thing) it was never actually designed to represent anything to do with time or the Time Lords or Gallifrey to begin with.

As far as how you represent time, I would simply state that the original series and all the seasons of the current series up to this one managed to get by quite well without worrying about representing time or anything like that, and I don't really see the need to do so now.

Pizdec posted:

So, uh, it looks like it's time for [...] some Pertwee.

It is always time for some Pertwee. :getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

1. The fob watch is an invention of RTD's that was only introduced as a plot point to explain the return of the Master. It was never a thing in the classic series, and has (to the best of my knowledge) not actually been used in the current series since "Utopia".

It's referenced in a pretty funny way in The Next Doctor :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Master's TARDIS has literally been a clock too.

I like the intro, except for the music.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The watch was also used in "The Next Doctor" and 11th used a non-plot relevant fobwatch. According to the wiki (sorry, didn't watch much of old Who) fobwatches and clocks were A Thing for at least five incarnations. The show never was above exploiting the correlation.

quote:

2. If I'm thinking of the right thing, the Gallifreyan symbol you mention (aka the Seal of Rassilon) was originally used as set decoration for the Vogans in the classic series (in the story "Revenge of the Cybermen").
Nah, I mean the circular design that was introduced in the new series and is even referenced in the opening itself.

quote:

As far as how you represent time, I would simply state that the original series and all the seasons of the current series up to this one managed to get by quite well without worrying about representing time or anything like that, and I don't really see the need to do so now.
To not get stale like most of the previous openings.

Going more abstract isn't even much of a stretch, unless you think the vortex that can transport you anywhere within the bounds of space and time looks like a kaleidoscope or a slit-scan effect with a giant Doctor face flying through it.

Come to think of it, I wonder how people reacted when they introduced that "Doctor's face" gimmick. What a shitstorm that would've been if we had the Internet back then.

This opening talk makes me want to see some new variations on the theme, does anyone know any decent fan-made ones? I know there's the NeonVisual one, the one that the official intro is based on, and this. Any others?

(Pre-emptive joke answer)

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
The least imaginative opening sequence (although it hits all the nostalgia buttons for me nonetheless) is the early 80s starfield. I can't imagine the planning meeting for that went much deeper than "Well, he goes into space a lot, so maybe some stars or something?"

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Occ's thread thought: would people say that where he is is the lowest point of revival who

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Little_wh0re posted:

Occ's thread thought: would people say that where he is is the lowest point of revival who

I think Journey's End through to End of Time Part 2 is possibly lower, but I don't know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Little_wh0re posted:

Year of specials.

Perhaps I'm just less enamoured of "The Waters of Mars" than everyone else. :shrug:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

You see, Scotland? YOU SEE WHAT YOU MADE HIM DO?!?

Don’t worry, Jerusalem. Look who’s coming back to Big Finish next year!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-main-range-the-next-fifth-doctor-stories-announced

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Little_wh0re posted:

Kinda. Season 3 overall is the weakest and least coherent season, but there are worse individual stories or terrible moments. Season 4 is great but it has two of the worst made individual episodes in The Doctor's Daughter and The Unicorn and the Wasp. The Year of Specials was a huge misstep whose only saving grace was the ridiculous nonsense that was The Next Doctor and the genuinely good Waters of Mars (oh yeah, and Matt Smith's first appearance which was amazing). Moffat's years have had a more consistent base standard of good episodes but also one of the revival's worst ever individual episodes (The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe).

So to answer your question... I don't know!

CobiWann posted:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-main-range-the-next-fifth-doctor-stories-announced

I will be thrilled if they're able to actually capture the "family" feel of that era (a fractured, arguing and grumpy family!) without the struggles the show had with finding something for everybody to do (especially Nyssa!).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

You see, Scotland? YOU SEE WHAT YOU MADE HIM DO?!?

I don't know why I'm amused that they're going back to Adric's home world in that first one but they're doing so with the post Adric 5th doctor crew. Waterhouse has done audios, hasn't he?

Also the last batch of 5 and the gang audios included Cobwebs, which was pretty great. Looking forward to these.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Apparently First season was the worst season of New Doctor Who.
Then we got to second season and it was the worst season too.
Now comes the Third and the final worst season.. until it is time for toxx to review the fourth one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Season 5-6's "Tardis and lightning" intro stands out as the best for me.

Season 7 was the best because it included the Doctor's face.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Fil5000 posted:

I don't know why I'm amused that they're going back to Adric's home world in that first one but they're doing so with the post Adric 5th doctor crew. Waterhouse has done audios, hasn't he?

Waterhouse actually just did a series of audios as Adric with Five/Nyssa/Tegan. I’m saving them for when this season is over and I crave my first “crap, I need new Who” fix.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

adhuin posted:

Apparently First season was the worst season of New Doctor Who.
Then we got to second season and it was the worst season too.
Now comes the Third and the final worst season.. until it is time for toxx to review the fourth one.

All of the episodes are the worst episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Waterhouse actually just did a series of audios as Adric with Five/Nyssa/Tegan. I’m saving them for when this season is over and I crave my first “crap, I need new Who” fix.

Don't wait. Get them NOW. "Iterations of I" is amazing. It is also surprising humorous.

Jerusalem posted:

I will be thrilled if they're able to actually capture the "family" feel of that era (a fractured, arguing and grumpy family!) without the struggles the show had with finding something for everybody to do (especially Nyssa!).

You do know that this will be the fifth series/trilogy of audios featuring this gang, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Don't wait. Get them NOW. "Iterations of I" is amazing. It is also surprising humorous.

Oh, believe me, the box set is on my shelf and the audios are loaded on my iPhone. I’ve heard nothing but good things. As soon as the finale for this season hits, it’s Castrovalva (which I have never seen) and then these episodes.

• Locked thread