Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone got calling from iPad using iPhone working? I know it's technically not supposed to work on iPad 3, but after installing iOS8 on both devices, I started magically getting iMessages on my iPad. Plus, the option to make a call is still there, and it tries to make the call before giving a "call failed" error. It's pretty un-Apple for the option to do it to still show up if the device can't do it.

It's working for me both calling and receiving calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Laserface posted:

Awful app crashes immediately.

The new version should be in the app store soon. Soon as in whenever Apple approves it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laserface posted:

I have my iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey.

I hate you. I spent 20 minutes waiting outside JB Hifi only to discover that no JB Hifi in Sydney has any of the Plus models :argh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the teardown for the 6 Plus is happening now at iFixit.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2014/09/19/10/37/first-iphone-6-bought-in-perth-is-dropped-on-ground

First iPhone purchased in Perth - dropped on live TV. Owned.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Owned.

It is 10pm here in mid-Michigan and there are already people sitting outside of the Verizon store near my house :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, gotta stand in line for hours to get a phone a little bit sooner!

A phone that will have dozens just sitting on the shelf in about a month.

Though I guess if they're upgrading from a 4S or something I could understand the excitement of being able to swap a brick for something sexy.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I feel so conflicted about the gold iPhone 6. The giant (photoshopped) photos on the Apple website make it look more pink toned, but some photos on blogs make it look more yellow toned. :(

I wasn't feeling too impatient, but after I traded in my 4S for the credit and activated my old 3GS (that can't have data due to outdated software that I can't update), I'm struggling.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 19, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

webmeister posted:

I hate you. I spent 20 minutes waiting outside JB Hifi only to discover that no JB Hifi in Sydney has any of the Plus models :argh:

Mine was delivered to my desk while I sat here configuring some piece of poo poo Chinese Android phone (that we use in-house because it has a barcode scanner on it)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laserface posted:

Mine was delivered to my desk while I sat here configuring some piece of poo poo Chinese Android phone (that we use in-house because it has a barcode scanner on it)

Yeah but how long did you spend mashing refresh on the Apple Store website last Friday? Checkmate, nerd :smuggo:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the teardown for the 6 Plus is happening now at iFixit.

Oh this is great

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

webmeister posted:

Yeah but how long did you spend mashing refresh on the Apple Store website last Friday? Checkmate, nerd :smuggo:

I got the links off whirlpool to order my phone via telstra and did it at around 7PM Friday night without any hassles. beat the poo poo out of running around looking for one.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

xzzy posted:

Yep, gotta stand in line for hours to get a phone a little bit sooner!

A phone that will have dozens just sitting on the shelf in about a month.

Though I guess if they're upgrading from a 4S or something I could understand the excitement of being able to swap a brick for something sexy.

I wasn't able to get an iPhone 5 off the shelf for a long time after it was released. I think I was finally able to get mine 2 months after they were out, and only because I was standing right right there when the 24 hour hold period for someone's preorder expired.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Mondlicht posted:

I feel so conflicted about the gold iPhone 6. The giant (photoshopped) photos on the Apple website make it look more pink toned, but some photos on blogs make it look more yellow toned. :(

I wasn't feeling too impatient, but after I traded in my 4S for the credit and activated my old 3GS (that can't have data due to outdated software that I can't update), I'm struggling.

I felt the same way about the gold 5S before I got it. It seems to be a difficult color to photograph. The gray and silver seem to be flatter colors, but with the gold it's like a champagne gold with a prism effect. I'm guessing the shape doesn't help, either. Teardown for the 5S looks yellower than life in some photos, too. Apple's photos are probably accurate for in hand.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does iOS8 slow down the 5s or 5c?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Prorat posted:

No.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Prorat posted:

Running 8 on my regular 5 and it runs the same speed as before

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Prorat posted:

No slowness at all on my 5s but it's a bit buggy and the photos app is kind of poo poo now.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I still have songs/albums on my phone that I can't delete, even after updating to ios8. This has now been going on for a year. Wtf Apple.

However, I like Hey Siri and 8 is doing well on my 5s. Very snappy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Zooming into app's folders can sometimes lag on my OG 5, but fine otherwise.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Mondlicht posted:

It was either go Gold or wait a few weeks since I didn't preorder opening night, all I cared about was getting the 64GB version, color doesn't matter much to me.

I was shocked when I ordered it today they had any left, let alone any with a delivery date of tomorrow.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Laserface posted:

I got the links off whirlpool to order my phone via telstra and did it at around 7PM Friday night without any hassles. beat the poo poo out of running around looking for one.

Mine also turned up at my desk at 10am this morning, I ordered from Virgin at around 8pm on Friday while waiting in line for a gig. Much nicer than waiting in line for a day!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Drop tests so far indicate it's more fragile than the 5. Which was a big concern to me as soon as they released photos of the new design. Goddammit.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don't drop your $700 device.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Chemmy posted:

Don't drop your $700 device.

Or get AppleCare+ and don't give a gently caress. When I dropped my 5 I was in and out of an Apple Store in less than 15 minutes with a new phone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dropping your phone is just something that happens despite human beings' best efforts. It shouldn't wreck your phone to drop it, and yet it does. Get a case. I don't have one, but I'm a hypocrite.

Anyone else having difficulty using airport utility in ios 8? Nothing happens when I enter my password.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

My 4S is dying and can't cope with iOS 8, so I just caved and ordered a 64 GB 6 Plus, even though I'm not at all happy they stuck with 1 GB RAM. I'm thinking about setting it up as a new device instead of restoring from backup, which is what I've been doing since the 3GS basically - am I correct in assuming that this should get rid of some cruft? What do I have to watch out for when setting the 6 Plus up as a new device? I guess everything cloud-related won't be a problem, but I've got like 3000 photos on my 4S and I'm honestly not quite sure how to get them to the new device. Either I'm getting old or Apple's sync/restore functionality is getting more complicated.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Anyone else having difficulty using airport utility in ios 8? Nothing happens when I enter my password.
Did you update Airport Utility? It's working fine for me.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Wengy posted:

My 4S is dying and can't cope with iOS 8, so I just caved and ordered a 64 GB 6 Plus, even though I'm not at all happy they stuck with 1 GB RAM. I'm thinking about setting it up as a new device instead of restoring from backup, which is what I've been doing since the 3GS basically - am I correct in assuming that this should get rid of some cruft? What do I have to watch out for when setting the 6 Plus up as a new device? I guess everything cloud-related won't be a problem, but I've got like 3000 photos on my 4S and I'm honestly not quite sure how to get them to the new device. Either I'm getting old or Apple's sync/restore functionality is getting more complicated.

Do you really want to keep your old 3000 photos on your new device?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Apparition posted:

Do you really want to keep your old 3000 photos on your new device?

I kind of do, but it probably wouldn't be a huge catastrophe if I didn't have them on the phone (they're all backed up into iPhoto). I'm intrigued by this new iCloud photo library thing, but apparently it's not coming just yet.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

CoasterMaster posted:

Or get AppleCare+ and don't give a gently caress. When I dropped my 5 I was in and out of an Apple Store in less than 15 minutes with a new phone.
Yes, that's a very sensible decision for most people.

Use a case until the day they make a phone that won't give you a instant heart attack whenever it slips through your hands.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

fleshweasel posted:

Dropping your phone is just something that happens despite human beings' best efforts. It shouldn't wreck your phone to drop it, and yet it does. Get a case. I don't have one, but I'm a hypocrite.

Exactly; it's thin, it's slick, and it gets pulled in and out of my pocket dozens of times per day. poo poo's gonna happen. Since the 5/5s design I've been going case less without issue, because the metal ring takes the impact 99% of the time. The 4/4s was terrible - not only was the back also glass, but the glass protruded much further away from the edge ring making a corner-hit an easy shatter. Returning to corner-hits-can-hit-glass is a terrible design move.

Obviously if I get a 6 I'll have to get a case. But I don't have to be happy about it. :arghfist:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

It's disconcerting that the 6 is more fragile than the 5. I've stated before that my 5 has taken quite a few tumbles into hard ground a number of times over the last two years and it's in perfectly acceptable condition. I have friends with shattered and cracked screens way worse than mine.

I'll have to be extra careful with the 6. No way I'm putting an ugly case on my phone. Well... maybe no way :cry:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
6postin'. This phone is beautiful.

Waited 6 hours in line in Canberra today but it was a fairly ok experience, save for the last half hour where I switched off literally everything on my old 5C to conserve the battery. The staff were really great too, handing out pastries for breakfast and bottled water. Some fat guy tried to barge into the store for a support issue and chucked a huge fit when security told him to wait in a small "not buying an iPhone" line. He bitched at two staff until they let him in, and was the only disgruntled customer I saw. I made sure to find one of the staff members he was arguing with and tell her they were doing an awesome job. They must have dealt with hundreds of people today.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's disconcerting that the 6 is more fragile than the 5. I've stated before that my 5 has taken quite a few tumbles into hard ground a number of times over the last two years and it's in perfectly acceptable condition. I have friends with shattered and cracked screens way worse than mine.

I'll have to be extra careful with the 6. No way I'm putting an ugly case on my phone. Well... maybe no way :cry:
It's almost as if you've been completely lucky with your drops.

Like this guy :v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8f-hVsDzA

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
There's no doubt in my mind the new phones break more easily. The screens are larger, the phones are thinner, and the screens have been getting thinner too (which was super noticeable for example with the iPad Air versus previous iPads).

Also, the squared iPhones crumple nicely and seem to absorb and project force along their edges very well. I know my 5 and 5s have been very resistant to screen breakage from drops.

On the other hand, the rounded sides of the 6 and 6plus probably project more force towards the back or front of the phone, depending on what angle the phone is dropped at.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Double post

bronin fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 19, 2014

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I noticed something on iOS concerning auto brightness. Back in iOS 7 I calibrated auto brightness like you're supposed to. Go to a dark room, set the brightness to the lowest setting and then turn auto brightness on. That way you would have the lowest setting in a dark room, the highest setting in bright sunlight and according settings for everything in between.

On iOS 8 I noticed that it won't go all the way to the right side even in direct sunlight. Can anyone confirm this?

I just set the slider manually all the way to the right side in direct sunlight and it seems to remember that now but it's weird nonetheless.

Maybe a hidden way to increase battery life.

bronin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 19, 2014

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just upped from a 5 to a 6, loving it so far.

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

teacup posted:

I just upped from a 5 to a 6, loving it so far.

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

Was that really ever an iOS behavior?