Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Darkest Hour can get weird sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So Communist Italy decided to declare war on the US, nuclear exchange all around and while that was happening the Soviet Union decided to send a couple megatons of gently caress you over to Sweden? And what's going on with the USA's flag, that is definitely not one I've seen before.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The USSR decided to go on a world tour via Scandinavia and the Middle East about half a year before the US had enough and ended up starting world war 3, dragging little old me in Italy and the Pact into it. The US started off with its big guns and completely wrecked me in that initial salvo - but luckily I had a stockpile of loaded missiles and my armies were already moved out into Germany/South France. Apparently counter-nuking lowers your dissent and that got me back in the game, thus the reciprocal nuking.

The USA got hit with a revolution because its dissent went too high and the capital got moved to Philadelphia. A trigger that makes the US join NATO if its not in it fires off an event (its a bug, unfortunately, but can be story-reasoned away as anti-Stalinist american communists rejoining) and they started nuking me again.

As far as I know, The AI will nuke the closest valuable targets (that are in range) I think - usually, the DDR gets smashed into pieces and likewise with West Germany as the AI only ever seems to use Strat Bombers - Leningrad, Kiev, etc normally get hit as the front moves East. They stopped hitting me after mainland Europe got overrun by Soviet hordes and I managed to get some paratroopers in Malta and undefended Dover.

Theres probably some really crazy AAR nonsense I could write from the NWO mod.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 18, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PBJ posted:

Welp, that's one way to end a war.

Battle warscore caps out at 50% or something though, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GrossMurpel posted:

Battle warscore caps out at 50% or something though, right?

Yeah. But that much War Exhaustion is going to cripple your enemies so I think it's still apt to say the war's pretty much over.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
A couple of questions about common markets with spheres and puppets. If a country is a puppet of country A, but in the sphere of country B, which common market will the resources go into? Also, is it correct that if a country is puppeted but not sphered by anyone, the goods will still go into the common market as if they were a sphereling?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BBJoey posted:

Dismantling empires was something that was added with NNM, so it's a bit jerry-rigged. Hopefully V3 has a more in-depth great war system as standard so modders don't have to try and force one in with event scripting.
Yeah, I like the idea behind it, but it doesn't always work that well. For one, defeating someone in a great war, but with them then remaining at war with someone else, seems to completely break the whole system for the breakup of empires.

People have said it before, but some system for ending Great Wars* with a proper negotiation between the various powers really needs to be a thing. Not sure exactly how it should work, but it would be a real nice feature. Maybe a system where you come in with Negotiation Power based on your overall contribution to the war, as well as military strength, and you would then have to amass enough total Negotiating Power for your suggestion for it to be accepted. This probably shouldn't just be 51%, but more like 66%, so any countries getting snubbed in the peace deal would be in a clear minority. (But might get the Mutilated Peace modifier, making Fascist real popular.)

Getting another state to agree to your suggestion would be based on you giving them the poo poo they want, in proportion to their war effort (same goes for you not grabbing far more than you deserve), and ideally also not giving their rivals/future rivals what they want. So for example, even if a country might be very happy about your suggestion to have them take over certain territories, they might reject it because you're suggesting giving other territories to countries they don't like, while other countries might be content with you just dismantling the empires of the countries you've defeated.

Such a system would have the advantage of giving the player the chance to fix borders all over the world, but not in a way where they could completely ignore the wishes of everyone else. Now of course you would have to make this not annoying to use, and make it so it's not just a single player throwing out suggestions until one gets accepted. Maybe every country would make its own suggestion, and then everyone would vote Yea or Nay for each of them, with the one accumulating the greatest Negotiating Power above 66% being accepted? Would probably work in Multiplayer, not sure how easy it would be to make the AI understand it.

*Really, any wars with at least 2 great powers on each side, and enough casualties/war exhaustion for it to be a noticeable war might warrant it, just to get some use out of the system.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well it had a Komet event.

HAHA! That's almost enough to make me sorry I never played much HOI3.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Playing so many other Paradox games makes me totally not understand HOI3's combat.

Like... say you have a guy (X) next to an enemy guy (Y) in a neighboring province. [X] [Y]
And then you click him, and right click on the neighboring province because you want to fight him.
But combat happens suddenly? Before he has time to move?
And then you move and the province is instantly occupied? No need for sieging?

Man, this is gonna take some getting used to. The tutorial covers everything EXCEPT actual fighting. Which, you know, you would assume a war simulator would cover.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

COOL CORN posted:

Playing so many other Paradox games makes me totally not understand HOI3's combat.

Like... say you have a guy (X) next to an enemy guy (Y) in a neighboring province. [X] [Y]
And then you click him, and right click on the neighboring province because you want to fight him.

Man, this is gonna take some getting used to. The tutorial covers everything EXCEPT actual fighting. Which, you know, you would assume a war simulator would cover.

Combat in Hearts of Iron games happens "between" provinces, essentially (though for terrain bonuses and penalties the defending province is accounted for). You win the battle, them the troops move in.

If it wasn't like that I can't help but imagine that wars would be like in V2, where instead of actual frontlines you have the two sides pool all their forces in a single province with a single battle lasting three years. :frogbon:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Combat in Hearts of Iron games happens "between" provinces, essentially (though for terrain bonuses and penalties the defending province is accounted for). You win the battle, them the troops move in.

If it wasn't like that I can't help but imagine that wars would be like in V2, where instead of actual frontlines you have the two sides pool all their forces in a single province with a single battle lasting three years. :frogbon:

I don't see the problem.
And then drop a nuke on that province :getin:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't see the problem.
And then drop a nuke on that province :getin:

Oh, so that's what AirLand Battle means.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What is the most optimal composition(s) for armies in Victoria 2? Both pre airplanes/barrels and after? Also what is a good army size?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SkySteak posted:

What is the most optimal composition(s) for armies in Victoria 2? Both pre airplanes/barrels and after? Also what is a good army size?

Good army size is as much as you can fit in the province without taking attrition. For composition: This

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just realized forts in V2 don't add to the defense of the army defending the province :psyduck:

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I just realized forts in V2 don't add to the defense of the army defending the province :psyduck:

they reduce casualties taken by defenders which is better.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
V2 owns but at the same time it's really goofy. Please make V3, tia

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

podcat posted:

And i thought I was just going crazy when I noticed that :stare:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

podcat posted:

Say the enemy gets to the province before you do, do you still get the reduced casualties even though you're attacking them? I may finally have a use for the million dollars I'm sitting on.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Morholt posted:

I am really hoping that with HoI4 coming soon Victoria 3 will be on it's heels.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gough Suppressant posted:

I am really hoping that with HoI4 coming soon Victoria 3 will be on it's heels.
V3 will be a HoI4 DLC.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Morholt posted:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
So I just finished my Sri Lanka Republic -> master of all of India... Plus the coast line where I had trade posts, plus enough to pretty those borders, plus de jure Persia so that the Abbasids don't get it. Matter of fact I own most of the Arabian Peninsula so gently caress the Sunni I'll take Medina and Mecca... And Baghdad while I'm at it. Huh, now I've kneecapped the Byzantine counter weight and they're running riot. Better eternal war them to keep their levies down... It all started out as a nice island republic run, I swear.

Anyway, it's a pretty interesting world (big rear end byzantines, orthodox big rear end cumania, the Mongols fizzled like a wet fart without me ever needin to intervene, the Crusades didn't fire until really late a when a possessed Karling in Italy went heretic, at which point every holy order fired at once and he'll hosed what was until the almost entirely Sunni Iberia, Scotland ultimately won but an imbecile Frisian inherited. The Scandinavians did horrible things to the border in East Europe, and Aquitaine/East Fracia/Bavaria formed a neat balence of power while Burgundy, Lotharinga, Frisa (at least before the Scottish inheritance and the Iberian holdings that went with), Aragon (Crusade state won by OPM bishop Koln) and some of the Scottish Ibrrian spin offs that Holy Warred into North Africa make for smaller fish in the pond.

The point is I think it'd make a nice EUIV game buuuuuut the converter kinda sucks. My empire, for instance, is stuck with generic ideas, I'd like to make a few other tweaks. Now I'm happy to futz with the converted mod but I went and found it and fits empty. Like, there's nothing in the file labeled Converted_Deccan_Empire even though it pops up in he launcher and runs fine.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I gave the AI control of transports and Garrisons in an attempt to have them garrison China for me. It has shipped 30 divisions of Garrisons to a pacific island instead. It has no objectives over there and its theater is restricted to a strip on Chinese border so I don't know what the gently caress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Unlike all other Paradox games, combat in Hearts of Iron happens between provinces, though technically the terrain of the defender is the one being used. And yes, there is no sieging - provinces are instantly occupied and any "sieges" are represented by defenders holding out in the province for extended periods of time. I would say that it reflects on the mobile nature of warfare in this period.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also a good way to understand actual fighting is to load up the 1939 start as Germany and invade Poland a dozen times to get the hang of it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unlike all other Paradox games, combat in Hearts of Iron happens between provinces, though technically the terrain of the defender is the one being used. And yes, there is no sieging - provinces are instantly occupied and any "sieges" are represented by defenders holding out in the province for extended periods of time. I would say that it reflects on the mobile nature of warfare in this period.

Not just the mobile nature, but it represents static fronts well too. Since any empty province is just an invitation for the enemy to walk right in, both sides need to make sure they always have a continuous line across the entire front. Really, the last thirty years of Victoria 2 should work like this, but cramming two totally different movement systems into a single game would be stupid.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Not just the mobile nature, but it represents static fronts well too. Since any empty province is just an invitation for the enemy to walk right in, both sides need to make sure they always have a continuous line across the entire front. Really, the last thirty years of Victoria 2 should work like this, but cramming two totally different movement systems into a single game would be stupid.

Victoria kind of needs to start on the mid 1700s and end before the first world war. But it is so dramatic the way it currently is!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i unironically want converters between all the games once there's a HoI4 and a V3

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

VostokProgram posted:

This is a pretty interesting thought and makes sense. Probably a big reason why I spend so much more time playing HOI. I thought EU IV was especially bad at this, you just mush a few giant armies together and steam roll.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Larry Parrish posted:

i unironically want converters between all the games once there's a HoI4 and a V3

Agreed. And with the CK2 startdate being pushed earlier and earlier, maybe we can even get it so we can get Rome 2, a Collapse of Empire DLC, and go from Rome to the modern day. And if they then do as CK2 has... Go from antiquity in Mesopotamia!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I... I have no idea what I am doing in HOI3. I started the Germany 1939 scenario with what I presumed to be an easy win against Poland. So I do what I've learned from playing CK2, V2, and EUIV -- I get all these stacks of squares and move them into Poland's territory. Things seem to be going... okay? I'm winning battles, apparently. If I have more squares in the stack, I win, right? But a week or two into the game and all of a sudden I'm losing territory and I haven't gained an inch? What? Why? :psyduck:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DrSunshine posted:

I... I have no idea what I am doing in HOI3. I started the Germany 1939 scenario with what I presumed to be an easy win against Poland. So I do what I've learned from playing CK2, V2, and EUIV -- I get all these stacks of squares and move them into Poland's territory. Things seem to be going... okay? I'm winning battles, apparently. If I have more squares in the stack, I win, right? But a week or two into the game and all of a sudden I'm losing territory and I haven't gained an inch? What? Why? :psyduck:

Could you take a picture of the situation?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Most likely the Poles are walking into territory that you have left undefended. There is no siege in HOI so any undefended territory is a freebie. Conversely, as stated above, battle happens "between" the provinces utilizing the defenders terrain as the terrain modifier. When the battle is concluded, your troops will likely already be in the defenders province or very close.. Imagine they are fighting on their way in if that helps. Remember, after the fight, it will take your troops 96 hours I think before they can attack again, but this number can be reduced by certain techs. Germany might start the 39 scenario with just a 72 hour delay possibly.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

the JJ posted:

The point is I think it'd make a nice EUIV game buuuuuut the converter kinda sucks. My empire, for instance, is stuck with generic ideas, I'd like to make a few other tweaks. Now I'm happy to futz with the converted mod but I went and found it and fits empty. Like, there's nothing in the file labeled Converted_Deccan_Empire even though it pops up in he launcher and runs fine.

The EU4 conversion is located in the CK2 documents folders somewhere if I remember correctly. Don't ask me why or how it works.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

The danger of undefended provinces makes me unable to blitzkrieg :negative:
I'm always afraid I'm gonna get cut off, so I always leave some troops in the provinces I conquer while driving forward with my tanks, which makes my breakthroughs about 2 provinces deep before I run out of troops to throw in.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

That is why you attack across the entire front, comrade! :ussr:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Germany in HoI3 has dozens of infantry divisions lying around to guard the 1939 Polish border against enemy incursions, and you can get by with having only one of them in most provinces.

For your invasion, you could just stack 10 or so mobile divisions into the gap southwest of Warsaw, stretch them out, and cut Poland in two.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GrossMurpel posted:

The danger of undefended provinces makes me unable to blitzkrieg :negative:
I'm always afraid I'm gonna get cut off, so I always leave some troops in the provinces I conquer while driving forward with my tanks, which makes my breakthroughs about 2 provinces deep before I run out of troops to throw in.

That's actually completely correct, though: Your foot infantry (with Arty brigades) will attack the front. Once you win and the enemy starts retreating, you can issue a move order to your tanks and motorized infantry to move into the province. Try not to commit your tanks into the actual combat for the first-layer province because that'll drain their ORG, which you need as you advance. One you arrive at the first-layer province, advance again into the second and onwards, but leaving some motorized infantry behind.

Of course, this assumes that you have enough divisions to form at least a one-division cordon around however large a pocket you want to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
A country in my sphere can be sphered by another nation if they get to meddle with them enough, right? I started playing with Prussia to get more involved in crises but there's like ten billion small nations that Austria would seem to like to sphere and the thing is that Austria is a machine while I am only human :( Do I have to carefully watch the sphere bar all the time and discredit/ban embassies everywhere? I need tips with managing spherelings.

• Locked thread