Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I just bought zombiu should I play it first or just put it directly in the garbage?
If garbage is your nickname for your Wii U, then hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Guys I'm pretty excited for Bayonetta 2

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Lemming posted:

I just bought zombiu should I play it first or just put it directly in the garbage?

I haven't finished it, but it's a really good game. There are crazy frustrating moments where the game will spawn enemies behind you in an area you thoroughly cleared (which shouldn't happen in a game with a kind of permadeath), but otherwise it has great atmosphere and a legitimately tense/scary experience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did you know Next Level Games was working on a followup to Mario Strikers Charged for Wii? Did you know it was going to be a "wrestling/volleyball hybrid with a game show slant"? Me neither!

http://www.unseen64.net/2011/08/06/super-mario-spikers-wii-prototype/

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did you know Next Level Games was working on a followup to Mario Strikers Charged for Wii? Did you know it was going to be a "wrestling/volleyball hybrid with a game show slant"? Me neither!

I would sell my soul to make this happen right now.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I would be down with that, i liked Mario Strikers Charged a lot even though i ragequit in the end cos the ai was such a cheater

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The only way I know how to play Strikers is to spam items and slide tackles and then get punished by the other person's items.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A wrestling volleyball with game show elements sounds a hell of a lot like DOAX.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So for people who have Hyrule Warriors already: Is it good for someone like me who's a huge Zelda fan but is indifferent to the Dynasty Warriors series? I'm deciding between getting this or Pikmin 3.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Its probably the best Dynasty Warriors style game on the market (as in the semi-mindless beat em up genre) as of right now.

That probably won't help you really but it has a lot of cool Zelda stuff in it. I'll try to see if I can find some gameplay from a good player or something.

I think i just found japanese pewdiepie in trying to do so

This guy is pretty good and he has just the game audio with no stupid poo poo going on (Ghirahim) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCavBZSrY4M

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 19, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nahxela posted:

The only way I know how to play Strikers is to spam items and slide tackles and then get punished by the other person's items.

In Strikers your teammates really mattered. I liked Dry Bones because his charge up shot would stun the keeper, giving you a very easy second chance. Toad was good because if you timed his jump right he could flip over the Keeper. Monty Mole was probably the third best non-captain character because he could occasionally dig under the keeper.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I already like musuo games, so slapping a coat of Zelda paint on one will only make me buy it faster.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you buy it and register it with Club Nintendo, you'll also get free Ganondorf skins. And if you preorder it at various locations, you can get other skins for Link/Zelda.

Go buy it, I dare you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Playing Game and Wario, how did I never get Kat + Ana = katana I'm going to go kill myself

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They literally say KATANA in the older Wario Ware game for the Wii if you had that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat, Hyrule Warriors is getting kinda slammed in some of the early reviews. Yeah, I read reviews. gently caress it.

I think a good chunk of the complaints are just "it's a Dynasty Warriors game with a really superficial Zelda skin slapped on top of it" who cares.

Lemming posted:

Playing Game and Wario, how did I never get Kat + Ana = katana I'm going to go kill myself

It'd be cooler if they were named Ketsu and Ana, because I believe that's slang for butthole.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 19, 2014

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I did know about this, actually, but a lot of this info is new! I really wish this had been greenlighted because goddamn Mario Strikers Charged was fantastic.

Spacebump posted:

In Strikers your teammates really mattered. I liked Dry Bones because his charge up shot would stun the keeper, giving you a very easy second chance. Toad was good because if you timed his jump right he could flip over the Keeper. Monty Mole was probably the third best non-captain character because he could occasionally dig under the keeper.

Boo and Dry Bones were also able to go right through the goalie with good timing, although it was really tricky to do it with Dry Bones. I always ran a team of them plus Shy Guy because they are my favorite enemies.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

enojy posted:

drat, Hyrule Warriors is getting kinda slammed in some of the early reviews. Yeah, I read reviews. gently caress it.

I think a good chunk of the complaints are just "it's a Dynasty Warriors game with a really superficial Zelda skin slapped on top of it" who cares.
Reviews for Musou games are always garbage cause reviewers are lazy and never play them on the difficulties that force you to engage with their mechanics. Not that they're super deep games or anything. By Musou standards the reviews for this one are pretty good, and the people that do know what they're about seem to like it a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

enojy posted:

drat, Hyrule Warriors is getting kinda slammed in some of the early reviews.

It's mostly getting in the 7s and 8s. Those are good scores unless you had some weird expectation.
The coating is great, but it's still a Warriors game.

Starhawk64 posted:

So for people who have Hyrule Warriors already: Is it good for someone like me who's a huge Zelda fan but is indifferent to the Dynasty Warriors series? I'm deciding between getting this or Pikmin 3.

You need Pikmin.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 19, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Pikmin 3 might (probably will) go on sale next week for the Smash weekly sales, too. So maybe you can get both!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Burning my way through New Super Mario Wii, and I'm having a good time - but is it worth my time to track down every last drat star coin? I love the concept of the coins and REALLY dig the whole hint video mechanic (which I heard isn't in the new WiiU sequel), but I'm dreading the idea of picking through each and every level for the coins that I've missed. I know some people adore the hell out of that side of the game, but I much prefer the Hop N Bop twitch stuff to the more secret-heavy side of the mario series.

Is the hidden world gobsmackingly awesome? I'd youtube it but I kinda want to experience em myself, if I decide to go for it.

If I had more time I'd gladly run my way through all the collectibles, but I still want to tackle the other games in the series - and might even take a swipe at replaying some of the 3d mario games too.

I loved New super mario wii and the last world has some great levels. Yes, it's not a world in the traditional sense but me and the friend I player it with kept replaying some of the levels because we were having so much fun bouncing around.

It's too bad my backlog is already huge otherwise I'd be all over Hyrule warriors. :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's mostly getting in the 7s and 8s. Those are good scores unless you had some weird expectation.
The coating is great, but it's still a Warriors game.

I agree. There's only 1 or 2 actual bad scores so far on Metacritic. I'm just taken aback a lil bit, because I'm used to the Zelda name going a long way when it comes to review impressions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You really think it's the name and not the fact that even the worst Zelda games are a drat sight better than any musou game?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

enojy posted:

I agree. There's only 1 or 2 actual bad scores so far on Metacritic. I'm just taken aback a lil bit, because I'm used to the Zelda name going a long way when it comes to review impressions.

Still doing better than that crossbow game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DW games never review well, they only click with a certain type of person and pretty much everyone else will hate them. Unfortunately if you are that sort of person you've probably bought five Warriors games this year and are still planning on getting Samurai Warriors 4 next month. :sigh:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
7s and 8s are the worst possible scores because it means you aren't revolutionizing gaming. If you aren't creating the citizen Kane of gaming why bother?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

7s and 8s are the worst possible scores because it means you aren't revolutionizing gaming. If you aren't creating the citizen Kane of gaming why bother?

Game did not enlighten me, 7/10.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goons, help me out with Mario Kart 8's online system.

Is there a way to just play a 4 or 8 track race (grand prix with points) online with randoms? I'll be damned if I can find a place for it, and most of the tournaments I find or are "recommended" are empty rooms.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

DW games never review well, they only click with a certain type of person and pretty much everyone else will hate them. Unfortunately if you are that sort of person you've probably bought five Warriors games this year and are still planning on getting Samurai Warriors 4 next month. :sigh:

I need to space Musou purchases out because those loving things eat me alive. Dynasty Warrior 7 lasted me almost a whole year on and off just filling up the tiles in Free Mode or whatever it was called.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Game I haven't played is getting terrible (8 out of 10) reviews because reviewers are lazy" is pretty funny. It deserves to be marked down for not making Tingle playable.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is an issue across the board with game reviews nowadays. Something being a 7 or 8 means it's a simply above average game - probably has some flaws, or is for a niche market. Also, Nintendo probably isn't bribing the review sources either. The game is probably best approached with some research, but is still going to be enjoyable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Surlaw posted:

"Game I haven't played is getting terrible (8 out of 10) reviews because reviewers are lazy" is pretty funny. It deserves to be marked down for not making Tingle playable.
Yeah that's really funny. Who's saying that again?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
One guy said it I think.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Psyker posted:

This is an issue across the board with game reviews nowadays. Something being a 7 or 8 means it's a simply above average game
- probably has some flaws, or is for a niche market. Also, Nintendo probably isn't bribing the review sources either. The game is probably best approached with some research, but is still going to be enjoyable.

This is a problem because a scale of 0~10 has an average of 5 so 7~8 is....wait, above average? Those darn journos using numbers the way they're supposed to work! :mad:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This conversation sucks.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
This week's eShop sale sucks. Metroid VC, 1 full pokemon game and two smaller ones, and Wii Fit U. That's it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a problem because a scale of 0~10 has an average of 5 so 7~8 is....wait, above average? Those darn journos using numbers the way they're supposed to work! :mad:

It works because reviews are like school grades and a 5 is like a failing grade, because if there's one way to legitimize my hobby it's trying to shove some academia into it even though the reviewer barely passed high school English.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm surprised that Super Metroid isn't also on sale.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FPzero posted:

I'm surprised that Super Metroid isn't also on sale.

Yeah, I was really expecting it to be and was totally ready to toss $5 at it. Genuinely surprised it isn't and instead the OG Metroid is available on sale for both 3DS and Wii U. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Surlaw posted:

It deserves to be marked down for not making Tingle Groose playable.

I agree, except you spelled Groose wrong.

Seriously, I'm going to get the game, but you can bet I'll be putting in big bold letters on my Club Nintendo survey, "WHERE IS GROOSE?!"

• Locked thread