Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Captain America's heart beats like a Sousa march.

I want to hate that, but I can't. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

petrol blue posted:

On that note - does anyone know any good stories told from the bad guy's POV?

It's not a finished run, but Superior Foes of Spider-Man is amazing in that it manages to humanize a lot of Spider-Man's go-to villains while, at the same time, never forgetting that they're still basically amoral assholes. It really nails the whole "slowly getting you sympathize with the villain right up until they do something reprehensible once again" thing.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's not really what Superman, at least when well written, is all about.

Oh sure, I figure the character would have been retired if he was as dull as my mental image of him is - I just wanted to articulate where I am at the moment. I've got All-Star, Animal Man, and Luthor on order, so I figure that'll be three different takes on the concept. If those don't sell me, I think it's fair to say "I've tried it and I don't like it", at least in the case of superman. Hoping that won't be the case though - I want to be proved wrong on this one!

Also, the version of batman in Flashpoint is utterly awesome, more psycho bomber superheroes please. Generally, that is, not right now - I got plenty lined up to read - thanks goons!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

petrol blue posted:

Also, the version of batman in Flashpoint is utterly awesome

Disregarding the following about having too many comics to read, you'd love the current Earth 2.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, that's not really what Superman, at least when well written, is all about.

Darwyn Cook's Parker adaptations are about a remorseless criminal. They're crime books not super heroes, so no one in spandex ever shows up to save the day.

It's ongoing, but Superior Foes of Spider-Man is due to end soon and has a few trades already out. It's about the newly formed Sinister Six (there are only five of them) and how they screw each other over while trying to pull off jobs.

Fake Edit: Sup, Phylo?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SlothBear posted:

Captain America's heart beats like a Sousa march.

I want to hate that, but I can't. :allears:

Nobody describes Captain America better than Daredevil.

:allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just seen the Valiant Humble Bundle - I don't normally go in for digital but the sheer amount of stuff that's on offer here makes it pretty tempting, and some of the money would go towards charitable causes.

Thing is, I've never really read any Valiant, so what's their stuff like in general?

(I tend to enjoy straightforward superhero stuff the most.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've read a lot of X-O and some Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, and Rai. Those are all broadly set in more realistic settings and fairly serious in tone. Little of the bright colors and awe of a "cape" book.

X-O is kind of Iron Man, guy in a suit protecting his people with some aliens mixed in.

Harbinger is kind of like Marvel's mutants with a small band fighting a big corporation.

Eternal Warrior starts off different, but ends up as a post-apocalyptic tale.

Rai starts as a detective story set in future Japan (I only read 3-4 issues of that).

I hear Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody are more lighthearted and funny.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

I hear Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody are more lighthearted and funny.

I love Archer and Armstrong (Fred van Lente :swoon:), and I love just about everything Priest has done, so I would probably also love Quantum and Woody.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The other thing about the Valiant books is that they're pretty strongly interconnected. Not so much that you need to read them all, but there's concepts that follow through the various books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like it might be fun to try; I might give it a go.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I just started Archer and Armstrong and it's pretty fun. I'm going to get the bundle mainly so I can give Quantum and Woody a shot.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I tried X-O Manowar a while ago and the main character really, really got on my nerves with him being an arrogant douchebag that acts like he's the biggest badass to ever walk the planet, when the only thing he has is a piece of alien tech that he pretty much just lucked out getting, and then the comic goes out of it's way to confirm this over and over again. Even when it's him vs the entire modern day earth he still shitstomps everyone.

Something about Valiant in general just seems.. shallow - kinda like everything is just a little bit too fake-y and awkward even for a comic book. It just doesn't seem to have a lot of the character a lot of Marvel stuff has. I only really read Manowar and a couple of Bloodshot, (which was pretty drat silly too) though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Journey Into Mystery has been sweet. I really dig what it's been doing with Mephisto. The bartender story was rad and the politicking of various demons is fun. Anything else like that without getting too corny?

Edit: Also between Journey Into Mystery and Agent of Asgard that's a few times talking about legend having a kind of tangible weight to the Aesir -- that the stories of others actually alter their reality. Are there any interesting reads visiting the same or a similar theme?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 22, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Journey Into Mystery has been sweet. I really dig what it's been doing with Mephisto. The bartender story was rad and the politicking of various demons is fun. Anything else like that without getting too corny?

Edit: Also between Journey Into Mystery and Agent of Asgard that's a few times talking about legend having a kind of tangible weight to the Aesir -- that the stories of others actually alter their reality. Are there any interesting reads visiting the same or a similar theme?

Keep reading JiM when Sif takes over.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I got back from overseas a couple of months ago and fell off the wagon with regards to my stack. I've picked up a few things that caught my eye, but overall, I am lost on everything after Infinity wrapped up.

Could any kindly folk help me out with some recommendations and numbers from post-Infinity the newest NOW! reading orders? At the time, I was reading Avengers (and New, of course,) FF, DD, ANXM and Uncanny, and Cap but I would really be down for catching up on most anything.

I also hear that Image is knocking it out of the park right now, if there is anything that sticks out that I should be reading.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

datingvolcanoes posted:

I also hear that Image is knocking it out of the park right now, if there is anything that sticks out that I should be reading.

Right now Rat Queens and Saga are the only two comics I follow month-to-month rather than just waiting six months for the collected volume.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Manhattan Projects, East of West, and Sex Criminals are all great offerings from Image.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

Oh, yeah, Sex Criminals is amazing! I was loaned my friend's signed copy of the hardcover (complete with Chip Zdarsky Liquid Paper Bukake) and it was insanely fun and well-done.

Saga is one of the books that I regret falling behind on the most. Fiona Staples produces amazing art and BKV was my first creator crush.

On the other hand, Rat Queens is one of those books I've been skeptical about, but it keeps being brought up and lauded by people I like and trust. I've always had a great deal of trepidation when my D&D and my comics brush up. I think it's probably time I give it a try though.

datingvolcanoes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Plus Prophet, Glory, Saga, Black Science, Deadly Class, Low, Fatale, Satellite Sam, Stray Bullets, The Wicked + The Divine, Orc Stain.

There are too many recent good'uns.

e: \/Oh yeah! Southern Bastards and Zero too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 24, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How can you forget Southern Bastards? It just started and its really really good. Its Jason Aaron writing a love/hate letter to the south.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

Oh, good god, I haven't kept up with Stray Bullets since the early 2000's. The same way with most of Brubaker's creator-owned work. It looks like this winter is going to be caked in noir.

Prophet was another really cool book I petered out on. It seems like it might have just ended too, so I'm down.

The rest I'm unfamiliar with, but I will definitely check out, especially Southern Bastards. It doesn't hurt that I'm from the south and have my own love/hate relationship with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

datingvolcanoes posted:

Oh, good god, I haven't kept up with Stray Bullets since the early 2000's.

It went on almost a decade long hiatus and just came back this year at Image with a final issue concluding the hanging storyline, then a new series started called Stray Bullets Killers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 24, 2014

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

datingvolcanoes posted:

Prophet was another really cool book I petered out on. It seems like it might have just ended too, so I'm down.

Just about ended, its going into a six issue miniseries called Prophet: Earth War which'll round everything out. You should give it another go, I really enjoyed reading it monthly but I think everything will flow together really well when read in one go. I need to give it a re-read at some point myself.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Goatmask posted:

Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

An old favorite I don't see mentioned much is Box Office Poison, a black and white graphic novel written and drawn by Alex Robinson. It's not very surreal, but it's a good "slice of life" story about seven friends and neighbors living in New York.

I also loved Terminal City, Dean Motter and Michael Lark's quirky, retro-futuristic, screwball comedy noir. It was originally two miniseries (9 and 5 issues, respectively) published by DC/Vertigo, but Dark Horse has since reprinted all 14 issues in a "Compleat Terminal City" TPB that you can probably pick up cheap. Whether you end up liking the plot twists and punny names or not, Lark's art is gorgeous, as usual.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just gonna recommend other work from some those authors.

If you enjoyed The Underwater Welder, you have to get Essex County from Lemire. It's pretty naturalistic though, so for something far-out there's Trillium, which was a recent eight issue series about a time traveling drug induced space romance.

Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron is a much more surreal work from Clowes, but it's not my favorite. I like David Boring.

You gotta do Jimmy Corrigan from Chris Ware.

and from Charles Burns there's a graphic novel trilogy he's currently on which has two parts out starting with X'ed Out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yeah I just read Essex County it is really really fucken good. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good non capes book.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really love Jaamie's Love and Rockets work. Just start with the first volume of Locas and go from there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

and from Charles Burns there's a graphic novel trilogy he's currently on which has two parts out starting with X'ed Out.
It's finished, Sugar Skull came out a week or so ago. I'm going to reread from the beginning because I can barely remember what happened in The Hive let alone X'ed.

Other GNs I have enjoyed and think might make lists:
early addendum: some of the following are in the Top Shelf sale which ends in an hour.

Heck - Zander Cannon - A modern guy travels into Dante's hell as a service.
Box Office Poison/Tricked/Too Cool to be Forgotten - Alex Robinson - slice of life stuff. Too Cool has a bit of fantasy but not much.
Mind MGMT - Matt Kindt - Still ongoing and technically superheroes in a very loose sense but basically spies with powers. I'm not sure if there's another point but there are elements within the trades that... assault the reader. Go in blind. Also Super Spy by Kindt (short stories about WW2 spies) is really good.
March Book 1 (book 2 soonish) - John Lewis/his Aide/Nate Powell - true story of the civil rights movement.
Infinite Kung Fu - Kagan McLeod - it's like a bunch of 70s kung fu movies mashed together. Fantasy to the core and I thought the ending was rushed but a fun read.
Safe Area Gorazde - Joe Sacco - oral history of the Serbian genocide. He also wrote a similar book called Palestine which he's more famous for but I felt it was quite a bit weaker than SAG. Haven't read his recent book.
Criminal - Ed Brubaker - crime stories
The Frank Book - Jim Woodring - uhh.... great art, hard to explain.
American Splendor - Harvey Pekar - it's already on most lists so this is an easy pick.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli is super acclaimed and sounds like something you should read.
I'll also second Joe Sacco. Palestine, Safe Area:Gorazde and Footnotes in Gaza are all great.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Thanks guys, I've been flooded with great advice.

I've always meant to check out Essex County (to be honest on that list I was a bit lukewarm on Underwater Welder, but enjoyed Sweettooth). And Jimmy Corrigan too.

I'll need to check out this Charles Burns trilogy. What else has he done that I should check out?

But first I think Asterios Polyp.

Thanks again.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Goatmask posted:

Thanks guys, I've been flooded with great advice.

I've always meant to check out Essex County (to be honest on that list I was a bit lukewarm on Underwater Welder, but enjoyed Sweettooth). And Jimmy Corrigan too.

I'll need to check out this Charles Burns trilogy. What else has he done that I should check out?

But first I think Asterios Polyp.

Thanks again.

Essex County is much better than Underwater Welder. Not that I didn't enjoy both.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm finally reading through Alpha Flight and I was going to skip vol 1 due to the size of it, and I just can never get into old comics, but I figured I'd read the first bit for all the origins and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I'm almost done Bryne's run though and I've heard Mantlo's is mediocre-bad, woudl anyone recommend it or should I just jump to vol2 after Bryne?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's not... super good and I can't in good faith recommend it unless you're a completionist, but to be frank Alpha Flight fell of hard after Byrne anyway.

For the "Graphic Novel" guy, I have no idea as to its availability but I always thought Kyle Baker's Cowboy Wally Show GN was kind of a missed gem. Very simple panel layouts that are used to tell these wacky stories. I don't think I've seen an attempt to duplicate the Marx Brother's slapstick timing in a comic that succeeded so well. At one point they are trying to film an adaptation of Hamlet while in prison.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

For the "Graphic Novel" guy, I have no idea as to its availability but I always thought Kyle Baker's Cowboy Wally Show GN was kind of a missed gem. Very simple panel layouts that are used to tell these wacky stories. I don't think I've seen an attempt to duplicate the Marx Brother's slapstick timing in a comic that succeeded so well. At one point they are trying to film an adaptation of Hamlet while in prison.

I went through a huge Kyle Baker phase in the early 2000s and obsessed over everything he had done up to that point. Why I Hate Saturn (arguably his most famous graphic novel), You Are Here and I Die At Midnight (both gorgeously drawn and colored, with the manic energy of the greatest classic Warner Bros. cartoons), even his work on The Shadow and Dick Tracy, that he dismisses as forgettable work for hire.

But The Cowboy Wally Show (his first graphic novel?) remains hilarious to this day. I'm chuckling just thinking about some of it. Wally invites someone out to lunch with him, and the guy says "No thanks, Wally. I've seen you eat." There's a lot of classic Laurel and Hardy humor in there too (my dad loved them, and I grew up watching their shorts on VHS) as well as Marx Brothers and more old-school Looney Tunes schtick.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was going through some old comics and recently re-read the X-23 series from a few years back and it was pretty good. Was the Daken series published around the same time also worth reading, or did it suck rear end like everything else starring Daken?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Hi there guys! I've been investing more time reading comics lately and was wondering if you had good suggestions to similar style of comics that I have been enjoying lately. Here's a list of things that I've read and why I've enjoyed it:

- Preacher (currently reading it, I'm just about 3/4 done) : Loved the writing style, the art and whole ambiance.
- Rising stars (just started it (the 1999 series + voices of the dead)

I've also read a few of the "The new 52: Futures end" and enjoyed the Batman: detective issue.

I'm thinking I'll enjoy "Suiciders" and "The kitchen" by vertigo, but if I can put other titles on my radar I'd be more than happy :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

xenilk posted:

Hi there guys! I've been investing more time reading comics lately and was wondering if you had good suggestions to similar style of comics that I have been enjoying lately. Here's a list of things that I've read and why I've enjoyed it:

- Preacher (currently reading it, I'm just about 3/4 done) : Loved the writing style, the art and whole ambiance.
- Rising stars (just started it (the 1999 series + voices of the dead)

I've also read a few of the "The new 52: Futures end" and enjoyed the Batman: detective issue.

I'm thinking I'll enjoy "Suiciders" and "The kitchen" by vertigo, but if I can put other titles on my radar I'd be more than happy :)

I love me some Warren Ellis, so I'll recommend "Transmetropolitan" (Hunter S. Thompson in the future) and "Planetary" (something about comic-book history being real, but also secret).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you like Rising Stars you'll like most of JMS' work. Check out Supreme Power