Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just...I really wish the guys who did this show did the movie. Hell, the CGI turtles didn't even bother me for the movie...I just wish there were more in the drat thing. Also that the writing was better.

The script was never that great but it got totally hosed in the rear end by **issues** and they had to scramble to get the resulting mess to look like it made any sense at all.

Long story short: back in 2012 Paramount greenlit the project with a budget of $100 million and a 2013 Xmas release date but it ran wayyyy over time and was going to end up costing $150m to complete. The studio naturally freaked the gently caress out so they closed down production for 10 weeks and brought in a new writer and said "Here's the footage we have in the can, we can't afford any more effects shots so figure out a way to connect it all together and turn it into a film without costing any money" and the new writer went "Uhhhh, April has lots and lots of scenes and we don't even show the Turtles for the first half of the film??" and they went "Fine, whatever, just shoot that and get it done because we're sick of this bullshit."

The end product was all over the place. They left in a bunch of stuff from the original Turtles=aliens script (half of which wasn't even set anywhere near NY) which is why you have the Turtles running around in NY in the sun in one scene and then it suddenly cuts to them rolling down snow covered mountains in the next scene. Eric Sachs was obviously supposed to be The Shredder because he was built up as the Big Bad guy who killed April's father which is paid off in the end when April is the one to deliver the death blow to Shredder but in the final cut Sachs is killed pretty much as an afterthought and the scene where April kills Shredder pretty much robs the Turtles' from getting revenge for what happened to Splinter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
In my opinion the original live action movie was the only good one. It just amazes me that they can't make another one that doesn't suck.

I haven't seen the new one, but I read that the foot is not a ninja clan but a group of terrorists. Is that supposed to lure in people who are into current day war movies or something? Here's an idea, how about instead of the old communicators the turtles can use the new iPhone 6. That ought to bring in the teenage audience.

It would be great if this show got to have a theatrical movie, but I'm afraid something would go wrong. Like Nick would hire a separate group of writers, or force a bunch of ridiculous changes in hopes of drawing in a bigger crowd. It's like the turtles are cursed when they're in the movie theater.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

he was built up as the Big Bad guy who killed April's father which is paid off in the end when April is the one to deliver the death blow to Shredder but in the final cut Sachs is killed pretty much as an afterthought and the scene where April kills Shredder pretty much robs the Turtles' from getting revenge for what happened to Splinter.

That's another plot hole. Splinter claims that April's father destroyed the office and died in the fire. Sachs claims that he shot her father and he died. So...who's telling the truth? How'd they get the mutagen from Splinter when he had it on the ground? How did Splinter NOT die alone in the sewer? How is Raph not dead from his cracked shell being ripped open MULTIPLE times? Why not use Karai more? Whoopi Goldberg needed more screentime. Her "What?" line got the biggest laugh of the movie in my theater.

Not spoiler: Goddamn this movie was awful.

But more on topic for this thread: What did people think of the Dimension X episode? I liked it more than the Big Trouble in Little China homage. Probably because I never saw that movie.

I do hope they decide to explain more about Irma and her supposed powers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There was a Big Trouble in Little China episode?! AND THERMO DIDN'T WATCH THAT MOVIE?!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crabtree posted:

There was a Big Trouble in Little China episode?! AND THERMO DIDN'T WATCH THAT MOVIE?!

Yes and yes. :( I'll watch it this weekend since it's on Netflix.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I just caught up with the latest episodes, including the 2 part season finale "The Invasion", and as an oldschool turtles fan I'm amused/excited that this show is doing its own take on the exile to Northampton plot from the Mirage comics and nearly every other TMNT incarnation since.

Also, that Big Trouble in Little China parody episode was funny as hell. "It's all in the reflexes."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought that season finale was decent enough but I'm pretty disappointed that Irma's power was actually to transform into Gilbert Gottfried. It was a pretty good fakeout, and I guess it makes sense; what are the odds of two magic people randomly becoming best friends and all, but I liked that take on Irma and would have liked another supporting female in the cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That season finale was amazing, Mickey made me tear up twice during it.

Can't wait for next season! Always love some downtime at North Hampton

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That season finale was amazing, Mickey made me tear up twice during it.

Once again Mikey proves to be the best turtle. I love that the two things he took from the lair that were dear to him were a couple frozen pizzas and Ice Cream Kitty.

I was pretty bummed about Irma. I feel a little bit cheated that she turned out to be a Krang spy. Although, I did love Krang Sub-Prime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So it looks like Gilbert Godfried is the first death in this series.

Also I just noticed Spike in the opening theme.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was a bit disappointed that the Turtle mech had been built up so much and turned out to be pretty useless.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well Leo did say it wasn't gonna be a good plan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

And listed the reasons why.

No need to use spoilers now that the episode's been out for two days, right?

I like the idea of a turtle mech, but I love why it didn't work. It's like fighting fire with fire, except you just discovered fire and the opponent has spent a hundred years discovering how to make fire better. Just landing that blow to temporally disable the oozemech was pretty satisfying imo.

Can't wait for next season, what do you think are the odds of Bishop showing up? We need a character to represent the EDF after all, and with them in the frame I am hoping that the Krang invasion if followed up by Tryceratons. :allears:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Where are you people watching this episode? It's not scheduled to record for me until next week.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

Where are you people watching this episode? It's not scheduled to record for me until next week.

Nick's website has it up. I just watched what they were talking about.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Hopefully they got "mutation / krangthing of the week" out of their system for the moment, North Hampton doesn't feel like it'd lend itself to that so easily, it feels like they'd have to be removed from their ongoing antagonists somewhat... but I'm sure they could if they like. It'd nice to have some more grounded or varied stories next season, tho.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was a good idea to reuse the first turtles movie plot line and move them out of the city for a while. Pretty ballsy for a kids cartoon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

It was a good idea to reuse the first turtles movie plot line and move them out of the city for a while. Pretty ballsy for a kids cartoon.

I'm sort of assuming they're still going to be in the city a lot of the time, fighting the invasion presumably.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So it looks like Gilbert Godfried is the first death in this series.

Also I just noticed Spike in the opening theme.

There was that minor Krang that the newt guy ate, I remember that because it that was the first death I noticed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm guessing they stay up there for three or five episodes recovering and then getting a plan together to take the city back.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I forget that they aim for a really quick turnaround between seasons, so I'm looking forward to picking this back up in a few weeks. For as triumphant as the season 1 finale was, this was very much not that.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

It was also a good idea for the first movie to take the same plot from the original comic book. Only it was Raphael getting his rear end kicked in the film.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

In the Mirage comics the turtles spent around 2 years hiding out in Northampton but in every other incarnation it was shortened significantly to just a couple of months or even just several weeks.

I think it'll be a similarly short stay in the Nick cartoon because they can't just let the Kraang stomp around NYC for months on end. Plus there's only so much action you can have take place on a farm where the two primary enemies can't attack them since they don't know the location.

I wonder if this show's Return to New York story will include mutant Shredder clones?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Those clones only existed because the turtles had already killed Shredder though :colbert:

The worms were a bad rear end and weird as hell clone method though holy poo poo. One of their best original ideas probably, unless maybe it's actually something lifted from a movie I haven't seen. For those who don't know, Shredder comes back to life in the comics because the foot ninjas feed his corpse to a colony of worms who then form into a clone of what they ate.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It wouldn't be too surprising if the show eventually took it even further to the mutant shark version of Shredder. They mutate the crap out of everything else.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Those clones only existed because the turtles had already killed Shredder though :colbert:

The Shredder clones were included in the 2003 TMNT cartoon and I don't think Shredder had been killed. I don't know how their presence was explained in the show because I never really watched it. All I know is that the Shredder in that show wasn't even human, but an evil Utrom in disguise. Certainly one of the stranger takes on the character...

I'm hoping the Nick show includes them somehow. They could be failed experiments resulting from Shredder experimenting with the mutagen, or an accident.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 24, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
2003 shredder AKA Ch’rell occasionally got defeated and locked away somewhere only to somehow keep coming back bigger and badder shredder suit. He was basically a more take charge and competent 1987 Krang. However, it sure was fun to learn that 87 Krang and the Kraang of the 2012 show are technically called Ultrom in the comics and 2003 show. :psyduck:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think shredder being an alien in a suit is actually a brilliant idea. It's a way of having a villain with a reputation dating back hundreds of years without magic and using series lore.

I have not bothered with 2003 but I think some of its ideas look great on paper.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rita Repulsa posted:

I think shredder being an alien in a suit is actually a brilliant idea. It's a way of having a villain with a reputation dating back hundreds of years without magic and using series lore.

I have not bothered with 2003 but I think some of its ideas look great on paper.

Well the 2003 was the last hurrah of Eastman and Laird as Mirage Studios was deeply involved with the show from start to movie send-off. But apparently Ch'rell actually took the idea of Shredder when he crashed on Earth from the original Tengu Shredder legend in this series. There are a lot of Shredders and a lot of seasons/spin-offs so if you decide to look into 03, even for the awesome Turtles Forever, know that there's a lot of back story to this beast.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Utrom Shredder was a great idea for the TV "kid's show" cartoon format. It meant the TMNT actually go to cut off his limbs sometimes, most graphically a total onscreen decapitation (before being an Utrom was revealed), it ruled. They would often have long, drawn out fights that would sometimes end with his Oroku Saki suit being totally ruined and him fighting as just a bare, naked utrom, it owned. It's absolutely a brilliant "tactical" move to get some decent fighting into a saturday morning show and it absolutely paid off.

Crabtree posted:

2003 shredder AKA Ch’rell occasionally got defeated and locked away somewhere only to somehow keep coming back bigger and badder shredder suit. He was basically a more take charge and competent 1987 Krang. However, it sure was fun to learn that 87 Krang and the Kraang of the 2012 show are technically called Ultrom in the comics and 2003 show. :psyduck:

:science: + :spergin: Utrom trivia time!

It's Utrom, no L in there. Easy and common mistake though!
In the 87 show Krang is never stated to be an Utrom, and sometimes is said to have had an organic full body before having it taken away (it's inconsistent though). He's an Utrom in the new comics though, and the TMNT newspaper strip says he is one too, sorta. 2003 had a cameo where an Utrom seen for like 2 seconds was referred to as Krang.
2012 Kraangs are Kraangs and not Utroms, unless maybe something happened in the episodes I haven't seen yet. Obviously based on them though more malicious.
The Professor in the second movie was supposedly going to be revealed as an Utrom in a scene but sadly that did not happen. Movie makes a lot more sense in my head if he is one, I want to believe.

In summary,

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

Here's an article with Seth Green on voicing Leonardo, which has a season 2 finale and season 3 clip. Also, this spoiler:

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/napoleon_c.jpg

Guacala fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 25, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guacala posted:

Here's an article with Seth Green on voicing Leonardo, which has a season 2 finale and season 3 clip. Also, this spoiler:

http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/napoleon_c.jpg

I'm not one to complain about changing voice actors in a cartoon but I did figure he was going to try to sound at least a little like the other two actors. Guess not.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They really should have stuck with the last guy, he did a good job of sounding similar to Biggs.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
His voice might have sounded more like Biggs, but his acting sounded flatter than cardboard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not one to complain about changing voice actors in a cartoon but I did figure he was going to try to sound at least a little like the other two actors. Guess not.

I'd like to think he got some magic cool puberty voice power up after his last stand against the foot. :allears:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man, how are they going to handle the Punk Frogs this time, particularly when Napoleon seems to be - uh, a little more dorkier than I'd expect. I mean, I'm not saying this like they're something that should be defended if their original formula is altered, but I'm not even sure where you could go with them these days. Just some werido tribe of mutant Frogs down in Florida?

Please just let him be a MLP joke and not TMNT's Jar-Jar Binks.:negative:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 26, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Crabtree posted:

Oh man, how are they going to handle the Punk Frogs this time, particularly when Napoleon seems to be - uh, a little more dorkier than I'd expect. I mean, I'm not saying this like they're something that should be defended if their original formula is altered, but I'm not even sure where you could go with them these days. Just some werido tribe of mutant Frogs down in Florida?

Please just let him be a MLP joke and not TMNT's Jar-Jar Binks.:negative:

They're really going full loser and not just brony with that design. He also has a poop hat and a friggin FANNY PACK. We'll have to wait and see what's with that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That's too bad, all I hear is Seth Green. That'll take a little while to get used to.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

That's too bad, all I hear is Seth Green. That'll take a little while to get used to.

Maybe he has a "lighter" voice outside of action scenes? It's really jarring either way. I mean I understand voice actors have to be replaced sometimes but Green sounds nothing like Biggs or the guy that voiced Leo for the remainder of season 2.

On the bright side, it's not Johnny Knoxville.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Also, Mikey rescuing Ice Cream Kitty made my wonder if he'll ever get her unmutated. It would be cool if she became this show's analog for Klunk.

Previous to making this post I had no idea Klunk had been in the 2003 series. It's the only TMNT incarnation outside of the Mirage comics that included him.

Edit: After some Googling, I just discovered Kevin Eastman voiced Ice Cream Kitty in her debut.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Here's a preview for season 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nVuibUA_vpo

I like that they at least acknowledge the voice change to Leo, but whoa 3 months is a long time, how is New York and the world not destroyed yet?

• Locked thread