Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Today tragedy was averted and this game finally clicked for me. While buying animals off elves to butcher I very nearly sent a Giant Panda to the chopping block before realising that you can train them to be Hunting and War animals and the thought of Dwarves going into battle supported by Giant Panda's is too good to pass up. I need a mate for it and then to see if my Dwarves can do what Chinese Zookeepers can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Fans posted:

Today tragedy was averted and this game finally clicked for me. While buying animals off elves to butcher I very nearly sent a Giant Panda to the chopping block before realising that you can train them to be Hunting and War animals and the thought of Dwarves going into battle supported by Giant Panda's is too good to pass up. I need a mate for it and then to see if my Dwarves can do what Chinese Zookeepers can't.

Unlikely unless Toady updated the raws - Exotic animals cannot be bred.

On the plus side, if you continue to have positive relations with elves, you can eventually have a hallway of chained beasts so diverse that it's practically guaranteed to give a dwarf a happy thought.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
A forgotten beast set my underground farm on fire, and now half of the place is covered with infertile ash. Will that problem correct itself with time, or do I need to do something about it?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

A forgotten beast set my underground farm on fire, and now half of the place is covered with infertile ash. Will that problem correct itself with time, or do I need to do something about it?

You need to pour water over it iirc.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Well, I fell off the Dwarf Fortress wagon and downloaded the most recent starter pack to ease back in. It's been a few years, at least since before wheelbarrows or towers or any other big things I haven't noticed yet, but it was surprisingly easy to get back into dwarf management. Then all of my free time disappeared.

Fortress Fatblunts was cleansed in magma after I realized you can't channel under raised bridges.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

You might want to try irrigating the ash tiles.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Irrigation

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Suicide Sam E. posted:

On the plus side, if you continue to have positive relations with elves, you can eventually have a hallway of chained beasts so diverse that it's practically guaranteed to give a dwarf a happy thought.

What? Since when?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Any animals with [Pet] and [Child] tags can be bred, maybe you're thinking of the defunct Dungeon Master's role in permitting the TAMING of said animals?

If elves bring you a pre-tamed breeding pair, you're good to go.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What's the solution for getting this error on linux?

code:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Any animals with [Pet] and [Child] tags can be bred, maybe you're thinking of the defunct Dungeon Master's role in permitting the TAMING of said animals?

If elves bring you a pre-tamed breeding pair, you're good to go.

So we can't capture lions, jaguars etc. and breed them ourselves? Even if we tame them?

And what exactly does taming animals to the point where your civ gains lots of knowledge about them do? Can you take them with you on future embarks from that civ? I've trained and re-trained the same pair of poorly trained Keas so many times that my civ now has General Familiarity of them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Breaking news!!

Toady One posted:

I think for this upcoming release, I'm going to handle fruit harvesting, finish the dwarf thought rewrite, and perhaps a few other outstanding issues, since they've been sitting on the table for a while. Then I'll continue fixing bugs.

It's about time we had a few uninterrupted months of DFHack stability.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

Breaking news!!

It's about time we had a few uninterrupted months of DFHack stability.

Finally, a way to rid my map of all those pesky fruits!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the fruit has been taunting me for a while now

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
On one hand this might mean if you start on a map with trees at all the game will get extremely easy - all the food, wood and happiness inducing booze you can gather.

On the other, with cave adaption being re-added, I'm unfortunately wondering if dwarves will be ok with using fruit that's soaking in puke.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So I have noticed an issue, all of my rivers and ocean biomes have nothing in them ever. I so rarely see fish in water. What is the issue with DF and fish?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

reading posted:

What's the solution for getting this error on linux?

code:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Did you try creating a link to libSDL-1.2.so.0 in your df directory?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
For those of you unfamiliar with Toady's cycle, there is about a 50/50 chance I'd say that the next update will be measured in weeks, or in years.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Iunnrais posted:

For those of you unfamiliar with Toady's cycle, there is about a 50/50 chance I'd say that the next update will be measured in weeks, or in years.

"A few outstanding issues" could mean anything up and including adding magic and the end of days.

Its Toady, you just can't tell!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fans posted:

IIRC Pandas need to graze on a massive amount of bamboo or they'll starve.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC Pandas need to graze on a massive amount of bamboo or they'll starve.

This bug was fixed in the latest release I believe.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Splode posted:

And war animals don't need to graze anyway, IIRC.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Splode posted:

It still requires bamboo though.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
What's the plan for all these barrels of blood anyways

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Faithless posted:

What's the plan for all these barrels of blood anyways

I was trying to use them to keep a vampire happy. No sale.

Animal extracts (blood 'n' ichor) are just trade commodities. If you can find a creative use for them by all means share it.

Dashticle posted:

On one hand this might mean if you start on a map with trees at all the game will get extremely easy - all the food, wood and happiness inducing booze you can gather.

On the other, with cave adaption being re-added, I'm unfortunately wondering if dwarves will be ok with using fruit that's soaking in puke.

My dwarf fort is currently straddling some sinister mountains (terrible idea, but fun .. and they appear to keep invaders to a minimum) and some fruit-filled orchard-like forest. The forest is amazing - it has fruits, the leaves fall in autumn. The downside is sometimes undead come rampaging through, but I like to think they somehow make the fruit sweeter.

Near as I can tell, yes, apricot, pear, plum, and other fruit trees make the beginning much simpler. (I also usually embark on a larger than 3X3 area, so I do have more herb gathering real estate as well.)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dashticle posted:

Oh and I suppose next we'll all wear bark for shoes and run around singing to the moon god and you know what you can take your filthy elf talk and get out

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bad Munki posted:

Oh and I suppose next we'll all wear bark for shoes and run around singing to the moon god and you know what you can take your filthy elf talk and get out

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Man, that's harsh. Accurate, but harsh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

El Disco posted:

Man, that's harsh. Accurate, but harsh.

Is this an actual thing?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

reignonyourparade posted:

It still requires bamboo though.

This turned out to be a bit of a problem when the poor thing starved to death. We had Gigantic Panda steaks in its memory.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 19, 2014

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Is this an actual thing?

I am playing Masterwork, so I don't know if it's that or a regular DF thing. The dwarf in question freaked out and dodged away from a small monkey straight into my spike pit. Missed the spikes but broke a number of bones.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

reading posted:

So we can't capture lions, jaguars etc. and breed them ourselves? Even if we tame them?

You're misreading. You should be able to breed any animal that breeds. Unrelatedly, some animals cannot be tamed by you and must be purchased already-tame from other civilizations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

El Disco posted:

I am playing Masterwork, so I don't know if it's that or a regular DF thing. The dwarf in question freaked out and dodged away from a small monkey straight into my spike pit. Missed the spikes but broke a number of bones.

Probably a masterwork thing since a lot of the systems make use of the syndrome mechanic to function.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Iny posted:

You're misreading. You should be able to breed any animal that breeds. Unrelatedly, some animals cannot be tamed by you and must be purchased already-tame from other civilizations.

The last time I played with enough fortress stability to purchase a menagerie, the exotic animals never bred. But at least those were the days when most of them didn't need grass or food, either.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I haven't seen any exotic animals in an elven caravan past the first one since I started playing with the 40.xx builds. Was that fixed in one of the more recent patches?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ooh, hey! DFHack updated already. For all platforms, too.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I haven't seen any exotic animals in an elven caravan past the first one since I started playing with the 40.xx builds. Was that fixed in one of the more recent patches?

Oh, no, the selections are still busted. I haven't seen a scrap of cloth from those people since version 0.34.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I've had excellent luck getting cool animals from the elves, including a breeding pair of giant coatis a couple versions ago. They reach adult age in a year, so my fort was looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FLBgf2TeQ

But much bigger.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got a grizzly bear and a giant jaguar from one caravan. Trained them as war animals and assigned them to the militia commander. They've never so much as struck a blow despite him having killed at least a dozen goblins and having been seriously wounded 2-3 times.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've got a pit full of baby giant dingos, so I think you just have bad luck.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Did you try creating a link to libSDL-1.2.so.0 in your df directory?

I tried that with both the 64-bit version in my system and a 32 bit version from my Steam folder, neither one worked. I get the same error message. Although putting the 64 bit one in the libs/ folder gave:
code:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
so at least I know that's the right folder. These were symbolic links, I also tried a copy but that didn't work.

reading fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

GenericOverusedName posted:

I've got a pit full of baby giant dingos, so I think you just have bad luck.

Please tell me that is your Baby Dwarf Solution Pit.