Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yep, photo stream still exists and works as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

dutchbstrd posted:

I think that happens for the first hours/day that you restore a backup. iOS is doing all sorts of one time poo poo like indexing everything on the phone so stuff like this happens.
This is happening everywhere, I think it's the keyboards. It's all a bit buggy, there's noticeable lag and sometimes the keyboard just doesn't come up at all.

smackfu posted:

It looks like Photostream still exists, there just isn't an interface to it because with iCloud Photo Library, there is no distinction between your camera roll and the cloud. Photos I've taken on iOS 8 are showing up on my Mac still. Without adjustments... guess that is still waiting on that new photo app.

Oh that's a relief. I'm using Yosemite so I can't see anything at all right now. As long as they're there, though, I don't really care. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm not going to keep ranting about the new photos app because then I just won't shut up. I just don't like it. Really wish they'd kept the old camera roll layout at least, with the larger thumbnails. Oh well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The habit of reaching for the top of the phone for the lock button will take a little time to break -- probably about the same as when I migrated to Touch ID to unlock last year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, I can't wait for apps to be optimized for the 6's display. Just opened up Tweetbot for the first time and the text is a bit too big for my taste, and I'm using the system font size with the slider turned all the way down :(

Or maybe I just haven't gotten used to the size of this display yet?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

Did it actually switch over? I had the check mark stay on data while voice and data had a spinner, and nothing happened for like ten minutes.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Found this on reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHlA46gB-4

"not a scratch - they are SO durable!"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Did it actually switch over? I had the check mark stay on data while voice and data had a spinner, and nothing happened for like ten minutes.
Yep it switched over after ~30 seconds.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

hotsauce posted:

Found this on reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHlA46gB-4

"not a scratch - they are SO durable!"
The image in that post doesn't go with the news story. The guy in the video who dropped the iPhone's iPhone was fine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, I just accidentally double tapped on my home button and activated Reachability mode :stare: That was weird. Is there a way to disable that? I don't like that and I'd like to not even have that happen by accident.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god, I just accidentally double tapped on my home button and activated Reachability mode :stare: That was weird. Is there a way to disable that? I don't like that and I'd like to not even have that happen by accident.

Just don't double tap the home button any more, it will be ok.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Settings > General > Accessibility

I found it in half the time it took you to make that post. Use some common sense here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep it switched over after ~30 seconds.

Huh. I went back to that screen later and got a pop up saying it wasn't compatible with my account, and I need to call Verizon.

I did a little more looking, and it might be because I am paying the extra couple bucks for caller ID with names. Their FAQ says it's not compatible with VoLTE. I guess I have to decide which feature I care more about.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I found it in half the time it took you to make that post. Use some common sense here.
Cool, thanks.

withak posted:

Just don't double tap the home button any more, it will be ok.
I wasn't doing it on purpose :shobon:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I thought t-mobile was the only provider that supported volte or wifi calls?

At least initially...

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

New phone and/or new version of iOS warrants looking around in Settings and discovering new poo poo.

One of my favorite new features is raising your phone to your ear while in a text thread and you will get a noise prompt to start recording a voice message. Put your phone back down and it will auto send to the recipient. When they reply with a voice message just raise your phone again to listen. My friends and I have been doing that since iOS 8 officially dropped.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

At least initially...

They're the first to support Wifi Calling. That's separate from VoLTE. Supposedly Verizon was going to be supporting VoLTE very soon.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

At least initially...

T-Mobile has "nationwide" VoLTE covering a significant portion of their LTE footprint while AT&T and Verizon both have VoLTE in select markets.

Meanwhile, Sprint... is Sprint.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just learned that the 6 is just a shade too tall for the spot my phone used to go in my car. I'll adapt I suppose. :v:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just learned that maybe my hands actually are big and golem like or that with a slightly different hold I can access most of the 6+'s screen with one hand.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

New phone and/or new version of iOS warrants looking around in Settings and discovering new poo poo.

One of my favorite new features is raising your phone to your ear while in a text thread and you will get a noise prompt to start recording a voice message. Put your phone back down and it will auto send to the recipient. When they reply with a voice message just raise your phone again to listen. My friends and I have been doing that since iOS 8 officially dropped.

Ok now that is awesome! Stuff they don't explain in "Tips"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I suppose the test for VoLTE would be just to make a call and see if it drops to 3G, and then maybe for kicks try to use data while on the call.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just learned that the 6 is just a shade too tall for the spot my phone used to go in my car. I'll adapt I suppose. :v:

Excellent time to get a new car. Also, I hear the 6 is great for taking photos of cats so you should adopt a couple while getting a new car.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pro Clip are really great solutions for this. I was in a rental for a week or so and missed mine so badly.

If you aren't already familiar with them, they come in two pieces; one for your specific car and one for your specific phone. If you replace one or the other, you only buy the piece you need.

They take less than 5 minutes to install with no tools. They have sales all the time too, usually around every holiday, minor or major.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Excellent time to get a new car. Also, I hear the 6 is great for taking photos of cats so you should adopt a couple while getting a new car.
Don't joke. I've actually been waiting for more models to add CarPlay. :)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Be mindful of the little "quick send" buttons for both camera and voice message on the keyboard though. The camera one is a selfie pic and it automatically sends once you take your finger off.

I was gonna send a pic of the blank embossed box to my brother and ended up sending a doofy looking picture of my dumb face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

It was on by default on my T-Mo phone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 6 is sexy as hell. It's so hard to capture the feel of Apple products in photos. Really loving the rounded corners on this thing, and it feels so well built. The camera barely sticks out, the wobble everyone is freaking out about when its lying flat on a table is super minimal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It was on by default on my T-Mo phone.
Gimme a buzz and let's test that voice quality! :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gimme a buzz and let's test that voice quality! :haw:
I made a call and it dropped immediately. The LTE signal in my apartment is garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don't joke. I've actually been waiting for more models to add CarPlay. :)

Me too but my lease ended last month so I ended buying a car with moderate iPod integration. I really want to see how much support CarPlay gets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, all random settings are invariably in Accessibility.

Speaking of which, I just found that grey-scale setting. Nice for pranking, but it really doesn't seem like it would help color blind people.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I made a call and it dropped immediately. The LTE signal in my apartment is garbage.
Two questions from coworkers on T-Mo: is Wi-Fi calling working in your 6? Does it work on older devices or just the 6?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah, all random settings are invariably in Accessibility.
I really wish I could change the double tap to be the app switcher instead of Reachability.

I need a BetterTouchTool for iOS. :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

kitten smoothie posted:

ATT here and mine was enabled by default. No clue if it actually works though.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Two questions from coworkers on T-Mo: is Wi-Fi calling working in your 6? Does it work on older devices or just the 6?

works on my 5s

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

badjohny posted:

works on my 5s
Neato, thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll put it this way: I can set it to Wifi calling, but I tried to make a call and it failed. Turning it off and it went through. So I dunno. The option is on my 5s, but I assume it would work just as well if I tried it there.

EDIT: Tried again and it went through so *shrug*

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
VoLTE is checked automatically on AT&T too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think I am going to return my brown case and get a green poly one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
super basic question here but how do you delete purchased music from yer phone?