Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So is it worth waiting for the die shrink on Maxwell? If die shrunk Maxwell releases before The Witcher 3 and GTA5 are released then I might just wait. If not, then I'm getting a 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spasticColon posted:

So is it worth waiting for the die shrink on Maxwell? If die shrunk Maxwell releases before The Witcher 3 and GTA5 are released then I might just wait. If not, then I'm getting a 970.

Depends on what card you have now. I wouldn't expect a die shrink till 2015

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!
ASUS's press release says their strix 900 models will be available today, but they don't seem to be listed anywhere nor on their site. Anyone know if they are really coming, or were they just announcing it for a later release.

http://rog.asus.com/362672014/gaming-graphics-cards-2/press-release-asus-announces-strix-gtx-980-and-strix-gtx-970/

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I've had really good experiences with Asus and MSI and some bad ones with gigabyte, but that 3 fan, 3 display port card looks pretty tempting if only because it's actually in stock even if it's 20 bucks more. I keep pretty strong grudges when it comes to computer hardware even though I know greenlight exists, so I probably won't take the plunge.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

spasticColon posted:

I mean, what we have in front of us now is already double the perf/watt of the previous gen GK104. The only card I wouldn't want to upgrade from is probably a GTX780/ti. I have a GTX680, and with some decent OCing I'd be looking at the new cards doubling my performance in many cases at 2560 * 1600.

Basically, this is the first really quite large upgrade in value and performance in a long while, and 20nm is STILL going to be a ways off (Or even significantly longer if it gets skipped entirely- It seems entirely possible that they can bring out a GM210 chip to consumer cards for even more power over the ones that were released today, still on the same process).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on what card you have now. I wouldn't expect a die shrink till 2015

I'll probably just get a 970 then because my 660Ti is starting to show its age especially with it's gimped memory bus.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

spasticColon posted:

I don't know how else to say this: if you're in the market for a very good video card right now, buy an nVidia GTX 970. Period. If you are not in the market for a high end card, there are other options, but this is pretty much the new poo poo when it comes to establishing the price:performance curve. nVidia is loving great at what they do but they're still not Intel, they don't have their own ludicrously good fab setup, they're working with TSMC and TSMC is having some serious trouble getting even 22nm (or 20nm planar) up and running for complex architectures - if they skip it for cards and go straight to their upcoming FinFET process, it's not going to mean the card can't exist anymore but there are compelling reasons for them to do way more than just pull a 9800+ and shrink their existing design. Taping out with a novel process is going to be really, really involved.

Nobody's future proof. Time keeps on going and so does technology. Waiting means you don't get to play with the fun toys while they're around, and it is up to you to assess your finances and desires and see if there's room for some overlap; if yes, Buy A GTX 970 is the good advice right now.

Edit: While obviously nV (and everyone else working with TSMC) wants to move to smaller nodes with some degree of regularity, this particular fight over 22nm/20nm vs. waiting for the nascent FinFET process they're working on right now has been a long-telegraphed circumstance. Read this article to see nV basically break all the rules and talk a bunch of poo poo publicly on their fab partner, in 2012. Still about the 22nm node. No poo poo.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/123529-nvidia-deeply-unhappy-with-tsmc-claims-22nm-essentially-worthless

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 19, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, it's funny that I got two MSI 290x for an Oculus build and now Nvidia has all these VR specific optimizations.

$300 shipped each if anyone wants them. Might make more sense if you're looking to do Freesync or to just edge out the 970 on performance and/or don't pay your power bill. But I was purpose building for my DK2 so I better get my rear end in gear.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

Buy A GTX 970

This cannot be said enough. I think it should even be the title of the thread now..

Poor AMD.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm, it's funny that I got two MSI 290x for an Oculus build and now Nvidia has all these VR specific optimizations.

$300 shipped each if anyone wants them. Might make more sense if you're looking to do Freesync or to just edge out the 970 on performance and/or don't pay your power bill. But I was purpose building for my DK2 so I better get my rear end in gear.

Only thing worse than AMD for an oculus build is corssfire amd.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

This cannot be said enough. I think it should even be the title of the thread now..

Poor AMD.

Yeah, they got mega-lapped and the thread title for the Parts Picking thread is unfortunately -very- apt at this particular moment. I'm not counting AMD out but they can't sustain much more belt tightening without breaking their loving spine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Only thing worse than AMD for an oculus build is corssfire amd.

I know right? I'm all like "Oh 1080p at 75hz, dropping frames will suck so I'll just completely brute-force it!"

Still, warrantied 290x for $300 each... don't forget winter is coming!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
4k gaming under $700 with a 970 SLI setup? My $330 gpu upgrade might have turned into a $1500 upgrade...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Should I buy a 2nd GTX760 and do an SLI setup, or would I be better off buying a newer card and not going SLI? Power consumption is not relevant.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Should I buy a 2nd GTX760 and do an SLI setup, or would I be better off buying a newer card and not going SLI? Power consumption is not relevant.

Buy a GTX 970 :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You will get identical/better performance with the 970, and it'll also have the advantage of all the new Maxwell 2 features, way less heat/noise, and without and SLI bullshit.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Every time nVidia or AMD releases a new card people declare the death of the other. When the 290s came out everyone said nVidia was crazy to charge what they were for 780/780Ti/Titan.

They will continue to leap frog each other. Anyone who thinks that AMD has been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses is retarded. People said AMD was going to die any year now for the past 8 years, yet they are still around.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Buy A 970 and you'll have superior performance by a stretch and it cost you like $100 over getting another 760 and having both of them be old tech with what is, apparently, now insufficient VRAM for what you're probably gonna be using it for if you like shiny poo poo.

calusari posted:

Every time nVidia or AMD releases a new card people declare the death of the other. When the 290s came out everyone said nVidia was crazy to charge what they were for 780/780Ti/Titan.

They will continue to leap frog each other. Anyone who thinks that AMD has been sitting with their thumbs up their asses is retarded. People said AMD was going to die any year now for the past 8 years, yet they are still around.

Companies are around 'til they aren't. Just because it's still a going concern and is appropriately treated as such doesn't change the fact that AMD is possibly one or two missteps too far gone at this point. They traded computers for consoles, which is a massively smaller market and doesn't really move their margin around nearly as much as you'd think from the PR. This is a poo poo position for them to be in. The 285 is their "we've been working on some cool poo poo on the same process and based around a similar architecture, check it out!" and it's a wet fart compared to this launch.

Anyone who thinks that AMD isn't facing a major existential crisis isn't "retarded" but they probably haven't been paying attention to what's going on behind the scenes with AMD.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 19, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Okay, as soon as my check comes in, I think I'm pulling the trigger on the G970.
This'll be my first non budget-laptop card in seven years, aside from the integrated card on my desktop right now, so this is rather exciting.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, I was eyeing one of those 4K ROG Swift monitors, just accepting that I wouldn't really be gaming on it at 4K with the 780 ti. Now I want to sell the 780...

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm definitely getting a 970 now but I have to wait until next Friday. I just hope they aren't sold out for like a month after they sell out the first batch of them.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed posted:

Anyone who thinks that AMD isn't facing a major existential crisis isn't "retarded" but they probably haven't been paying attention to what's going on behind the scenes with AMD.

Can you link to that information? I'd love some popcorn reading.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

No Gravitas posted:

Can you link to that information? I'd love some popcorn reading.

Here's a good read for everything that isn't current:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/04/amd-on-ropes-from-the-top-of-the-mountain-to-the-deepest-valleys/3/

They had a less-bad year in 2013 than 2012 (they lost like $150mil in 2012, as opposed to a mere $83mil in 2013!). They continue to have bad quarters. Can't bleed forever and still live. Net loss of $20mil for Q1 2014, net loss of $36mil Q2 2014... poo poo is not well!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Man, I was eyeing one of those 4K ROG Swift monitors, just accepting that I wouldn't really be gaming on it at 4K with the 780 ti. Now I want to sell the 780...

The Swift is 1440p, not 4K.

Probably for the best, what kind of hardware would you need to drive 4K at 144hz :gonk:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone searching for the 970, the Boston Microcenter has 10+ in stock of the EVGA model, at a slight markup of $340+tax, and they probably have them at other locations. Might be worth it if you want easy returns or if you can fast-talk them into giving the Borderlands coupon.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

I'm too tired to read it, but the pricing alone (especially the $970!) is awesome. Performance looks good. 970 close to 780ti reference! wow

I feel like I need to preempt this though. Reference 780ti != aftermarket 780ti, here is guru 3d on your typical 780ti

Regardless, this is nice. Slightly above expecations.

No apparent trouble with 4k too despite the memory bus figures, I'll delve into it more tomorrow though. Hopefully my hunch was right about all that even though I have no idea why it is that way

Wow my HD 6970 is looking really weak right about now and the GTX 970 is starting to look really tempting. I have a 1080p monitor but love to crank the quality settings up or install graphic enhancement mods. The 6970 has been good to me but yikes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cool, looks like I'm getting a GTX970.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

You could probably use a 350w. Keep in mind anandtech uses a socket 2011 cpu that is very power hungry.

Yeah, I run a gtx 780 in my Tiki gaming machine, and 450W is enough for it (the system also has: Ivy Bridge i7 processor, Hitachi 3TB 7200RPM HDD and Samsung 512GB SSD). Very tempted to get a gtx 980 and actually overclock it since now I have a lot more power headroom.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Have we not loving learned from nV's last "big" release? Yes, everyone rush out and buy 970s today, in a month nV will totally not ship 970 Tis for $20 more.

e: Not saying that this release isn't impressive-as-gently caress.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deimos posted:

Have we not loving learned from nV's last "big" release? Yes, everyone rush out and buy 970s today, in a month nV will totally not ship 970 Tis for $20 more.

check this guy out, trying to hog all the 970's for himself

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Nice to see why a 256 bit bus works here, I knew it was more complicated generation to generation

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/190463-nvidia-maxwell-gtx-980-and-gtx-970-review

deimos posted:

Haha yeah. 970 ti sounds nice. Well, a 980 ti sounds nice, the 780ti oc'd was just sooo close to being perfect for 1440p for me but not quite

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Darn it all EVGA 980s are sold out. Sigh.

Anyone know if I could use the vapor cooler of gtx 780 on the 980s? They look identical enough.

Also, anyone know if an OC'ed 970 will use more power than a stock 980 or not? For my small case, I am limited to only the best (with power usage lower than a gtx 780) single slot cards with a good blower cooler on it, so the 980 looks to be a better fit... if I can find it anywhere on sale at the MSRP...

lethial fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 19, 2014

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If I remember correctly, a 780 ~= 580SLI, so a 970 would be a great sidegrade that gives me all the new features and consumes way less power/generates less noise, correct?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Anti-Hero posted:

If I remember correctly, a 780 ~= 580SLI, so a 970 would be a great sidegrade that gives me all the new features and consumes way less power/generates less noise, correct?

It's going to be a real upgrade as well. There are very real single card advantages when you're upgrading from 5 series SLI, on top of the fact its just plain faster than that anyways even in a synthetic scenario.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

Using the sold listings search on eBay, 580's are still selling for around $100 each so I'd call that quite an upgrade once you sell them and overclock the 970.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've also got the 3GB versions, which I hear are particularly popular second hand for some reason?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

deimos posted:

The 970 is an extremely capable card, and at a very decent price point, unlike the 780 and 780 Ti at launch, which were priced extremely high.

I highly doubt anyone who buys a 970 now will regret it in the months to come. (Unless there's some cripping hardware flaw).

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Local micro center already sold out of the 970s. :(

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Deuce posted:

Local micro center already sold out of the 970s. :(

Man I'm surprised this was such a real hard launch at all, ie stores having them period. I'm figuring supply will be spotty but I'm impressed in general by the initial availability.

Looks like my local microcenter has 1 of each at exactly list price (EVGA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

1gnoirents posted:

Man I'm surprised this was such a real hard launch at all, ie stores having them period. I'm figuring supply will be spotty but I'm impressed in general by the initial availability.

Looks like my local microcenter has 1 of each at exactly list price (EVGA).

Yeah I don't know what the deal is, mine didn't even know when they were gonna get a shipment in.