Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Canemacar posted:

So whats the payoff? Are all cab drivers in London given fabulous wealth and beautiful women or something? I can't imagine someone going through all that to earn minimum wage.

London cabbies make the equivalent of $100,000 to $170,000 according to that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

One cabbie working an 8-hour day can bring in 6 figures. Most of them work much longer.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Canemacar posted:

So whats the payoff? Are all cab drivers in London given fabulous wealth and beautiful women or something? I can't imagine someone going through all that to earn minimum wage.

The article linked in the post you quoted says it isn't unusual for London cabbies to make the equivalent of $100,000 USD, with the top earners in the neighborhood of $170,000.

Edit: Wtf? I even reloaded right before I posted to make sure this wouldn't happen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Canemacar posted:

Because they don't earn minimum wage.

quote:

By all accounts, being a London cabbie pays well. Although the cabbies themselves are cagey about what they earn, it's widely accepted that incomes of $100,000 (U.S.) a year aren't unusual, with some operators—those working extremely long hours—believed to be making that figure in pounds sterling (roughly $170,000 U.S.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I guess it's just inexplicable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Canemacar posted:

According to the article cabbies can earn btw $100-$170k

I saw all the other responses, I just like to dog-pile

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

One of the subjects in the absolutely amazing 7 Up movie series does The Knowledge, becomes a cabby and ends up buying a second house in Spain, to put it in non-pounds sterling perspective.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I believe you will find that cabbies in London earn up to 100,000 pounds per month.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Good thing it's not real money

OR

a joke about how cabbies get super fat

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Cat Hatter posted:

In Robocop when Murphy is talking to Lewis right after spinning his gun around TJ Lazer style, you see him put the magazine back in because he isn't a reckless douche practicing tricks with a loaded gun.

I noticed this one on one of my last few viewings. Was thinking how dangerous doing that actually was then realized he had the magazine out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I noticed after watching X Men: DoFP that Brian Singer has basically written-out his movies and the changes he made and put the plot back in line with the 90's X Men, which is what nerds have been whining about for years.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cat Hatter posted:

In Robocop when Murphy is talking to Lewis right after spinning his gun around TJ Lazer style, you see him put the magazine back in because he isn't a reckless douche practicing tricks with a loaded gun.

Also, when he does it later it's after he's been firing his gun, meaning it's presumably both loaded and has a round in the chamber. He doesn't bother clearing it because machines don't make mistakes*.

*ED-209 notwithstanding.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I rewatched Dredd today, and I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but at the end when Ma-Ma goes splat, the shot is from below the impact, and all the blood squirts out in an X, like Dredd's helmet.

Also, Anderson passes her assessment, even though she was sure she wouldn't due to losing her primary weapon, specifically because Dredd recognizes that her gun isn't her primary weapon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kruller posted:

Also, Anderson passes her assessment, even though she was sure she wouldn't due to losing her primary weapon, specifically because Dredd recognizes that her gun isn't her primary weapon.

I would question the subtlety of this,

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It may not be subtle, but I have had to point that out to every single person I've talked to about the movie. It kinda gets lost in all the gunshots and blood splatter I think.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Cat Hatter posted:

In 300: Rise of an Empire whenever the Athenians ram an enemy ship they kneel down and hold a rope to brace for impact. The Spartans, on the other hand, remain standing and take a step forward in unison to keep from falling over. I thought it was a nice way to show how the professional soldiers had the benefit of additional training.

The Athenians were better sailors than Spartans. :ssh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Don't come here with your realism in my testosterone power fantasy. :colbert:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My favorite is all of the subtle hints in Nolan's batman movies that batman is actually bruce wayne

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Kruller posted:

I rewatched Dredd today, and I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but at the end when Ma-Ma goes splat, the shot is from below the impact, and all the blood squirts out in an X, like Dredd's helmet.

Dredd follows the law to the letter. The point of it is that Dredd sees the importance of a Judge like Anderson despite the automatic fail of losing her weapon. Its a comment about the flaws and the perceived necessity of their brutal law, not some sort of abstract idea about what a weapon is.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

toxicsunset posted:

My favorite is all of the subtle hints in Nolan's batman movies that batman is actually bruce wayne

Well, Nolan is known for making movies with Labyrinthine plots, so it's conceivable he could have pulled that off. I'll have to rewatch and spot all the clues.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

toxicsunset posted:

Oh, don't start that again! Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, don't start that again! Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

How could he fight crime?! He wouldn't even be able to see!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In Next Friday Uncle Elroy is rolling a huge blunt and he just cuts it open and empties it onto the floor. At first I thought he just didn't care cause he's 'new rich' but a few cuts later you can see that his nearby trash is overflowing with unrolled tobacco.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Joking aside I've more than once watched Tim Burton's Batman and thought, if you watched this and somehow knew nothing at all about Batman, how long would it take you to figure out?

e: I suppose also if you suffered from inability to recognize Michael Keaton

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Medieval Medic posted:

The Athenians were better sailors than Spartans. :ssh:

True, but the Spartans remain standing presumably so they can disembark faster and turn the battle into the equivalent of ground combat on a wiggly surface. Basically, I'm just glad that since they spent so much time littering references to the Athenians being farmers who have taken up arms and how they needed to convince Sparta's army of full-time professional soldiers to join the fight, that they actually portrayed them fighting differently instead of just "well, here are some extra bodies since we're almost fresh out" that I was expecting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Once Bitten after Jim Carrey's character gets bitten by Lauren Hutton they give him some orange juice.

E: like they do when you donate blood

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just watched Hook for the first time in years.
  • When Peter is climbing the mast to try and get to his kids, one of the pirates telling him to fly suggests "Try looking at Tink:pervert:".
  • During the Neverland baseball game, both teams are named the Pirates.
  • The scar Peter thinks is from having his appendix removed is on the wrong side, supporting it being from "the Tiger Lilly incident".

Something not subtle at all though, but I was too young/stupid to notice the last time I watched the movie, but when Smee first addresses the pirates, his delivery of "Good morning, Neverland" is exactly copied from Robbin Williams' Good Morning Vietnam.

There is also a running joke of people ignoring the danger to those around whom they are shooting. None are subtle on their own, but I'd never noticed that they keep doing it. Off the top of my head:
  • Hook shooting Peter's checkbook and killing a pirate behind it.
  • Smee pointing a gun at Tink who is right in front of Hook's face.
  • A pirate shooting the guy who was stealing second base and Smee checking to see if he'd been shot as he was standing right between them

Cat Hatter has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Sep 23, 2014

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Nutsngum posted:

Dredd follows the law to the letter. The point of it is that Dredd sees the importance of a Judge like Anderson despite the automatic fail of losing her weapon. Its a comment about the flaws and the perceived necessity of their brutal law, not some sort of abstract idea about what a weapon is.

What? No. Dredd would never question the law, the rules of the test or anything what so ever about it. He might let some one off like the sleeping hobo but only to prove a point. The rules don't say lose your gun, fail the test. Main weapon is her mind its pretty drat clear.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dredd ignored the hobo because the law tells him to. There's a more serious crime nearby and that takes priority, as stated by Anderson.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The MSJ posted:

Dredd ignored the hobo because the law tells him to. There's a more serious crime nearby and that takes priority, as stated by Anderson.

On his way back out he was going to arrest the hobo for not moving, but then the door gets in the way

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

The MSJ posted:

Dredd cut the hobo some slack, too, told him, "Don't be here when we get back." He gave the hobo a chance to shove off and go somewhere else.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

The MSJ posted:

That follows comic book Judge Dredd SOP. He has to travel across the U.S. to Mega City Two riding a motorcycle alongside the Goddamn Killdozer on a top priority mission to deliver a vaccine for the Rage-like virus rampant there. (Spoilered in case you've yet to read that arc!).

On the way, of course, poo poo constantly gets in the way, but he always wraps it up by getting back to the priority mission and quietly vowing to return and deal with any lawbreakers or gangs he had to leave behind. So the movie is spot on there.

Most action movies revolve around life-changing moments for the protagonists, whereas this film gave the impression is just another Tuesday night for Dredd. Not so much for everyone else, and it's great.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Dredd cut the hobo some slack, too, told him, "Don't be here when we get back." He gave the hobo a chance to shove off and go somewhere else.

Even if Dredd holds to the letter of the law, that doesn't mean he has no room to bend. Had that hobo been there when he got back, Dredd would have dealt with him, but there's no law that he can't inform people about there infraction if he can't deal with it at the time because there's a more pressing matter.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
the Air Bud defense is my favorite.

"But there's no law saying a dog CAN'T be a Judge!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Who What Now posted:

Even if Dredd holds to the letter of the law, that doesn't mean he has no room to bend. Had that hobo been there when he got back, Dredd would have dealt with him, but there's no law that he can't inform people about there infraction if he can't deal with it at the time because there's a more pressing matter.

He was about to address the hobo and then the blast door came down and took care of the problem.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Who What Now posted:

Dredd doesn't bend. That's kind of the point, pretty much since the start of the whole thing. His whole character is that he isn't someone to look up to, he's a caricature of authoritarian power.

mr meowzers
Sep 18, 2014

Literally Kermit posted:

Most action movies revolve around life-changing moments for the protagonists, whereas this film gave the impression is just another Tuesday night for Dredd. Not so much for everyone else, and it's great.

Is Dredd the true protagonist in this plot?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

mr meowzers posted:

Is Dredd the true protagonist in this plot?

No, it's pretty clearly Anderson. Why, do you think otherwise?

mr meowzers
Sep 18, 2014

Just Offscreen posted:

No, it's pretty clearly Anderson. Why, do you think otherwise?

I had no reason to believe so, but some people seem to mistake title characters for protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Who What Now posted:

He begins dealing with him when the lockdown happens. I believe he says "I warned you, get up." And then the door closing resolves his issue. The only reason he didn't deal with him immediately was because he was assessing Anderson, and let her make the call, which he agrees was the correct call. A vagrant is less important than a triple murder, but he fully intended to take care of the vagrant if he was still there when they finished.