Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

Nope, the one in Devon, England.

England, Arkansas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Lots of Saint somethings in France, look at all these Saint-Jeans variations (Saint John) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Jean

There are also several Saint-Denises http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Denis_(disambiguation)

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/La...0c3b84e8f825358

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Indiana University of Pennslyvania is honestly the best one, imo

Don't forget California University of Pennsylvania.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

Anyways, every bigger country has repeating city names. There are apparently over 50 towns with the name Hausen here in Germany. And even two of our bigger cities share a name, identified by the river that flows through them, Frankfurt/Main and Frankfurt/Oder.
Speaking of non-bigger countries, Denmark also has duplicates, though in this case it's more clone towns than just chance/lack of inspiration. Back when our railroads were being expanded, a lot of station towns were built close to existing "church towns" and villages, and then took their name. Some were close enough for them to grew together, but others remained separate but with the same name. In some ways, that seems dumber than having towns and counties with the same name spread across a continent.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
As far as uncreative place names go, I kinda like how quickly Australia ran out of ideas with just six states and two territories.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Unfortunate toponomy deformation :v: according to wikipedia it used to mean Manure Pond in the local language, and evolved into Jew Pond and then into Death of Jews.

An example I'm more familiar with (since it's in the Parisian region :v:) is the town of Villejuif (Jewtown), which is believed to be a deformation of Ville Juvius (Gallo-Roman for Juvius' Villa, probably some ancient landowner, my hometown is named after one such Gallo-roman landowner, it's pretty common).

Really, it's not too different from the American towns that are named after their settlers.

In the area you can also find the town of Le Kremlin-Bicetre which is a deformation of Winchester (the Bishop of Winchester had a manor there) to which was added Le Kremlin after the name of a tavern called "Au Sergent du Kremlin" (named in reference to the veterans of the Great Army who went there as the tavern was near Bicetre hospital). The name caught on and they associated the two.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 19, 2014

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The results of the Scottish Independence Referendum. Teal is yes, red is no.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

This need something added with population density ...

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Mano posted:

This need something added with population density ...

To be honest it would be more informative with a scale of just how much Yes and No won percentage wise in each area.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Here's one with gradations depicting how yes/no a province went. No discreet legend though.

And that is population density circa 2009.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 19, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm assuming that the large provinces are very thinly populated, correct?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Ofaloaf posted:

There are 14 communities named Wyoming in the United States, none of which are in the State of Wyoming and 3 of which are in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin also has a New Berlin, a New London, two Berlins, two Albanys, three Brooklyns, four Clevelands, five Franklins (and five Farmingtons, but that's not all that surprising), six Grants, and ELEVEN Lincolns.

To bring it back to the bars vs. grocery stores map from earlier, I found this article that also has other countries for comparison.

that article posted:

One interesting bit is that when the original Floatingsheep map was going around, people commented that there was a significant Polish and German population in Wisconsin, which was a possible reason for the high number of bars. However, you can see that in most of both countries, grocery stores dominate.

Also, I was surprised that Wisconsin was ranked third in bars per capita, after North Dakota and Montana.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I'm assuming that the large provinces are very thinly populated, correct?

Almost no one lives in the Highlands.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of non-bigger countries, Denmark also has duplicates, though in this case it's more clone towns than just chance/lack of inspiration. Back when our railroads were being expanded, a lot of station towns were built close to existing "church towns" and villages, and then took their name. Some were close enough for them to grew together, but others remained separate but with the same name. In some ways, that seems dumber than having towns and counties with the same name spread across a continent.

The US had something similar, there are lots of towns named "Meridian" because they're on the feature of the same name.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Miami River and other placenames in Ohio are a good hundred years or so older than Miami in Florida. Though in both cases, the name "Miami" seems to have come about from names of local Native American groups in the respective areas.

The places in Ohio are named after the Miami tribe. In the mid to late 19th century a lot of people from Ohio moved to Florida and started founding towns a named those towns after the places back in Ohio.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Indiana University of Pennslyvania is honestly the best one, imo

I grew up in Indiana and lived right next to a Philadelphia, Indiana.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Eerie, Indiana.

3peat
May 6, 2010

GREATER MOLDOVA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

3peat posted:

GREATER MOLDOVA

That's where Pathologic is set, isn't it? I mean, just going by the flag.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Action-Man posted:

The places in Ohio are named after the Miami tribe. In the mid to late 19th century a lot of people from Ohio moved to Florida and started founding towns a named those towns after the places back in Ohio.

The Miami in Florida is probably named for the nearby river, which draws its name in turn from either Lake Okeechobee (formerly called Mayaimi) or a Native American tribe in the area of the lake (who also called themselves the Mayaimi).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Map of all traffic accidents in the Netherlands in 2013

The colours show whether people died or got wounded or not.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Map of all traffic accidents in the Netherlands in 2013

The colours show whether people died or got wounded or not.

:thumbsup:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Cutting the turn a bit too much, maybe?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Antti posted:

My favourites by far as far as US placenames go are the ones you named after other prominent places. There's a whole slew of St. Petersburgs, Parises and Londons, and even a couple of Finlands, Swedens and Norways. Good job!

gently caress, there's a Miami in Ohio. That's gonna be a terrible trap for someone.

This is also why US passports list birth state as the birthplace, I presume. My passport lists my dinky little Finnish town.

There's a Miami in Oklahoma, I have relatives there. It's named after the Miami tribe, which I think is one of the ones that originated out east and got relocated to Oklahoma.

Edit: Beaten.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Antti posted:

gently caress, there's a Miami in Ohio. That's gonna be a terrible trap for someone.

There's two division one (top tier in sports) universities named "Miami", one in Florida one in Ohio. Usually they're listed as Miami (FL) and Miami (OH). I can't imagine how many poor poor football players commit then later realize they're going to a bad team in rural Ohio instead of a good one in South Florida.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

Cutting the turn a bit too much, maybe?

I think the joke is that all European country roads are way too skinny. Driving through upper and lower Austria was a nightmare. Every curve felt like a head-on collision was right around the corner.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

3peat posted:

GREATER MOLDOVA

I want to shine the Romania signal and ask why Romania and Moldova are different countries and to what degree Romanian and Moldovan people/language/culture/ethnicity are different.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

I want to shine the Romania signal and ask why Romania and Moldova are different countries and to what degree Romanian and Moldovan people/language/culture/ethnicity are different.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference, and Moldova is basically a country made up by Russia/the Soviets to justify their slicing a chunk off Romania and annexing it.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no difference, and Moldova is basically a country made up by Russia/the Soviets to justify their slicing a chunk off Romania and annexing it.

Specifically, Moldova was one of the historical principalities that united to form Romania. Later on, part of it was transferred to tsarist Russia in exchange for land on the Black Sea taken from the ottomans.

Romania gained this land back following the Great War, and in 1940 it changed hands again when Stalin demanded it back and declared it the Moldavian SSR.

FWIW that map at least only shows land that actually did constitute the original principality.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The Moldovan Wikipedia was a battleground, with people arguing about whether or not it should exist. Was it exactly the same language, but with Cyrillic instead of Latin letters (despite Moldova officially switching back to Latin script in 1989)?

quote:

In its early days, the Romanian Wikipedia encountered problems concerning its division and the creation of a separate Moldovan Wikipedia. A Moldovan language version of Wikipedia exists as it was created automatically together with a larger number of other Wikipedias, because the language had been assigned a separate ISO 639 code (mo/mol—which were deprecated in November 2008 by the ISO authorities). At its beginnings it worked as a portal redirecting to the Romanian Wikipedia, but it eventually began allowing content (although only intended for Cyrillic Moldovan/Romanian as it was used before 1989 in the Moldavian SSR), starting big editing wars and endless discussion. Starting from 2006 it is frozen and editing is no longer permitted. This question is still raised from time to time, although users on Wikipedia voted on its closure.

So, the consensus at Wikipedia is that it's not a separate language, and the ISO seems to agree.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think something like 60% of moldovan wikipedia pages were literally romanian wikipedia pages passed through a latin->cyrillic converter.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think the joke is that all European country roads are way too skinny. Driving through upper and lower Austria was a nightmare. Every curve felt like a head-on collision was right around the corner.

Maybe you should try driving slower :colbert:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Nessus posted:

That's where Pathologic is set, isn't it? I mean, just going by the flag.
I think the flag is a reference to Moldova's founding myth, which involved a hunt for an aurochs that ended at the Moldova river. I don't think there's any particular mystic significance to cattle there.

Pathologic is set in a generic remote Steppe town anyway, and the characters have Russian names.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Greater Macedonia

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Trench_Rat posted:

Greater Macedonia

So they're officially poisoning their children in schools with really stupid ideas? They're in for a surprise when they realize that Greece is blocking all of their attempts at integrating into the wider international community, Albanians are going to outbreed them in their own country and their language is actually Bulgarian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trench_Rat posted:

Greater Macedonia

I wonder why they don't just try to unite with Bulgaria in order to form a respectably-sized country of almost ten million people. As I understand it, the two nations are very close to each other culturally.

mcustic posted:

So they're officially poisoning their children in schools with really stupid ideas? They're in for a surprise when they realize that Greece is blocking all of their attempts at integrating into the wider international community, Albanians are going to outbreed them in their own country and their language is actually Bulgarian.

Albania's fertility rate, despite still being somewhat high by European standards, has dropped below the replacement rate since the early 2000's and its population is actually decreasing (due to migration). I'm assuming the same trend holds true for Macedonia's minority Albanian population.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 21, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
They should just invade Iran and have even more people.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

Also, I was surprised that Wisconsin was ranked third in bars per capita, after North Dakota and Montana.

And first in binge-drinking! Wisconsin is a drinky state. Coincidentally it's also the origin of the Miami Indians, who are an offshoot of the Algonquins that ended up in Ohio and somehow provided the name for an elaborate complex of sewers and animal pens in Florida.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bloodnose posted:

Historical reasons.
Romania or rather 2/3 of Romanian majority lands were vassals to Ottomans, as result of war with Russia in 1812 the modern Moldova and some bits of Ukraine were added to Russian Empire.
Rest of Romania remained vassal of the Ottomans until next Ruso-Turkish war in 1878 where it joined Russian side and got independence.
Romania capitalized on Russian civil war and got Moldova in 1918, also got some parts previously held by Hungary as result of WW1.
Moldova was handed over to USSR after ultimatum in 1940, Romanians were understandably mad and jumped into bed with Germany.
So when WW2 broke out Romania occupied Moldova, killed the jews(there were a lot), and did other typical Axis stuff.
When war tide turned Romania jumped to the winning side(in 1944), and although it didn't get Moldova still got some land out of peace deal(from Hungary and Bulgaria), also got communism.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodnose posted:

This is anecdotal but a mentor of mine in college was a constitutional framer for Moldova. He basically said that when the USSR was collapsing and they decided to break away in 1990, they didn't want to be a part of the USSR for obvious reasons and Romania because they didn't know what the political or economic situation would be like there since Ceausescu had just been executed.