Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I've seen cops do this with multiple cars, but never just one guy weaving back and forth. That would be fun as hell for about a minute then just get tedious as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm in SoCal right now, first time driving in the US, so my nervous dinking around in my tiny blue rental hyundai trying to get used to being on the other side of the road and having people overtake on both sides might have made me 'that person you share the road with' a bit over the last few days.

Coming up I-5 through Irvine just now, I had a guy behind me headbanging with his eyes closed as we rolled forwards in slow traffic. Was almost certain he'd have run into the back of me if I hadn't changed lanes as soon as I saw him in my rear view mirror. He ended up drifting nearly into the same lane I'd changed to before honking horns woke him from his metal trance.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

TWBalls posted:

Hmm... I've only seen single car rolling roadblocks here in California.

Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31fZIBxFd9I

I'd never seen that happen before (and I had been driving for about 18 years at that point), so it was weird as hell to me. I think I've seen it about 3 times since then.

Hah, one of the last times I visited LA I go to be a half dozen cars back from a CHP officer doing exactly that on the 405.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iForge posted:

I've seen cops do this with multiple cars, but never just one guy weaving back and forth. That would be fun as hell for about a minute then just get tedious as gently caress.

I've seen a bunch of rolling roadblocks in Arizona, never with more than a single car doing the weave thing. Usually it's to clear an accident or get a broken down car out of the median, or for another officer/crew to move something like a sofa or water heater that some nimrod didn't properly secure out of the travel lanes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Alighieri posted:

This week in Dallas I have seen at least 5 different people who have put the VOID license plate sticker on their cars license plate. In Texas you only need the window sticker in the front and the license plate one only says VOID and has big text all around it saying you don't need to use it. Reading comprehension is very hard.

You haven't been in DFW long have you? :haw:

Also, that sticker is actually required (and gets a month/year printed on it instead of void) for motorcycles, trailers, and possibly dealer plates. Can't think of much else that uses them anymore though. I assume it's cheaper to just use the same paper/sticker stock for everything.

Those who don't live in TX - the windshield and plate sticker are attached to a 8.5x11 sheet of paper that gets run through a typical laser printer - it serves as your registration receipt for private vehicles (don't need to keep it in the vehicle), and proof of registration for commercial (do need to keep it in the vehicle, despite the windshield sticker). They both peel off from the paper.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Alighieri posted:

This week in Dallas I have seen at least 5 different people who have put the VOID license plate sticker on their cars license plate. In Texas you only need the window sticker in the front and the license plate one only says VOID and has big text all around it saying you don't need to use it. Reading comprehension is very hard.

I actually just noticed someone who did that today in Uptown Dallas. I get to spend a lot of time watching people drive like jackasses around 25+ tons of steel and wood rolling around on two rails. Just because you can stop your car on a dime doesn't mean that I can stop a streetcar in time to spare your precious BMW from the bumper of this thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MATA driver spotted. :siren:

I've only been on the streetcars a few times, but they're pretty drat neat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 19, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My turn to be that person you're sharing the road with today.

Almost hit a guy this morning - entirely my fault, I think, turning off roundabout, and I'm pretty sure I just forgot to indicate. Or it did that thing where the wheel is at just the right angle and immediately self-cancels, and I didn't notice.

Either way, oops.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

MATA driver spotted. :siren:

I've only been on the streetcars a few times, but they're pretty drat neat.

poo poo, my cover is blown! I'm mostly surprised that you know the actual name of the company.

I had a kid punch a window tonight because I wouldn't let him get on the streetcar because he's stolen stuff from us in the past. He hit this window with a closed fist and put *most* of the cracks in it. There's two cracks that came from a different impact a few weeks ago. These are the people you share public transit with...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I dunno man, the name is kind of painted on the cars :v:

Sucks about the window, but at least that's glass that can be replaced easily.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 19, 2014

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I dunno man, the name is kind of painted on the cars :v:

Sucks about the window, but at least that's glass that can be replaced easily.

poo poo, no one pays attention to that. To most people, it's just "the trolley".

I think we've sufficiently derailed, so I'd like to keep this conversation in the PMs if it's okay with you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was close to witnessing an accident today. Was going into the roundabout into my school. Pretty much everyone goes to the third exit (left turn equivalent). Guy a few cars ahead of me slams on his brakes after entering the roundabout at a decent speed, to let someone waiting at the first exit in. :bang:

Car behind him barely stopped in time since, y'know, not expecting a full stop; I'd have probably done the same.

E: Even the guy he was letting in was pissed, he was angrily waving SUV dude (because of course he was) to go past like he was supposed to.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I loving hate shopping centre parking lots. I work in a pretty lovely area (there were kids riding bikes inside the centre today, school holidays started so all the bogan children get to roam the streets), so I should expect this type of poo poo.

I was turning right out of a multi level parking lot which turns onto a small road which links all of the outdoors parking up which has a speed limit of 20. Directly to my right is a blind corner (with two speed bumps to stop this poo poo from happening!) for anyone coming from that direction, I start moving out after checking if I was good to go, all clear. I get half way out and a woman in a Camry comes flying around the corner doing probably 50 or 60, ignores the speed bumps, then gets on the horn and gives me the finger.

I gave her the finger straight back, thinking back to it I really should have given a thumbs up. gently caress you lady for almost causing an accident (I will admit the thought of getting hit on the driver's side door scares me a bit!).

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aNSruoYnznE

This has to be *the* single stupidest law Sacramento has ever rammed down our throats.

Lives will be lost.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I want to punch whoever made that video in the teeth for the incredibly obnoxious unexpected laugh track. 0/10 would not open link again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

I want to punch whoever made that video in the teeth for the incredibly obnoxious unexpected laugh track. 0/10 would not open link again.

I can't even get it to play :(

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

This has to be *the* single stupidest law Sacramento has ever rammed down our throats.

Lives will be lost.

Rules in Germany prescribe 1.5 to 2 meters distance for overtaking cyclists (5-7 ft), and it works.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Lives will be lost.

Do you think you shouldn't provide 3ft of clearance, or do you think most drivers think 3ft=15ft?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yesterday I saw a dude in a flatbed truck hunched over the wheel, steering with his elbows, cigarette in one hand and holding a phone to his head with the other. Driving through a winding country road.

If it wasn't so terrifying it would have been an impressive show of dexterity and multi tasking.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Lives will be lost.

I don't think it's law but where I live the rule is you pass a cyclist like you are passing a car, fully over into the next/other lane.

You don't have to obey this for roads with separate cycle paths though.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Lives will be lost.

The only "funny" thing about that video is the creator's complete lack of depth perception and concept of distance.

If your car is centered in the travel lane and the cyclist is centered in the bike lane that is already three feet of space.

If Californians are comfortable passing so close to someone that they could reach over and touch your car, and need a law to tell them that that is a terrible idea, then this is the law they deserve.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the cyclist is never centered in the bike lane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

the cyclist is never centered in the bike lane.

Or even pedaling in a straight line. You can always spot the beginners who's legs are about to crap out because they wobble all over the place in their epic struggle to keep the pedals rotating.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Lives will be lost.

My brother bikes in downtown LA, and people dangerously pass him all of the time. It is dangerous and people need to learn to share the road with bicycles. It's not a stupid law.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

My brother bikes in downtown LA, and people dangerously pass him all of the time. It is dangerous and people need to learn to share the road with bicycles. It's not a stupid law.

Yes it is, because you shouldn't have to pile more laws into the books for situations that were already covered by existing laws. The rules of passing traffic are already well established.. if people can't adhere to those, it's an issue of training and enforcement.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yesterday I saw a dude in a flatbed truck hunched over the wheel, steering with his elbows, cigarette in one hand and holding a phone to his head with the other. Driving through a winding country road.

If it wasn't so terrifying it would have been an impressive show of dexterity and multi tasking.

If he used his knees to steer he could have freed up his arms for tougher challenges. Country roads are the best for this. No 90 degree turns that make you grab the wheel.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

xzzy posted:

Yes it is, because you shouldn't have to pile more laws into the books for situations that were already covered by existing laws. The rules of passing traffic are already well established.. if people can't adhere to those, it's an issue of training and enforcement.

Enforcement is the main thing. Even with helmet cam, the police ignore it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Enforcement is the main thing. Even with helmet cam, the police ignore it.

Technically that law has to be enforced both ways, A cyclist would have to stop behind a vehicle stopped at a light close to the line of the bike lane because they couldn't pass it at a legal distance.

But you know the cyclist would ignore the law when it benefits them, blow right past that traffic and through the red light to get to their cyclist puppy stomping meeting before the other cyclists stomp all the good puppies.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I don't think police are even capable of pursuing or safely stopping a cyclist who broke any sort of safety law, therefore they have to make any/all laws against the big dopey motor vehicles.

Peoples' extremely poor awareness of how narrow their vehicles ACTUALLY are IS shown in my video. That crossover POS in the first segment and the shitbox that was behind the bus... they were probably giving more like 7-8 feet of space. It's another reason why this law isn't going to work out.

The footage used for this video was pulled from maybe 10 minutes of my commute home from work. The FIRST road I hit, I am physically incapable of passing, and the biker has NO option to yield unless he somehow hops onto the sidewalk. I would get SHOT if I stayed back and matched his 11mph... Since I started driving I've always given cyclists what I think is a very wide berth, the difference now is, I have to hit that 3 foot minimum, and if I don't (or if whatever cop observes me is feeling like being a shitlord) I'm getting a ticket.

Something needed to be done, no doubt. But this isn't the solution.

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 19, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you put a couple wheels over the double yellow when it is safe to do so it's not like Armageddon happens.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

nsaP posted:

If you put a couple wheels over the double yellow when it is safe to do so it's not like Armageddon happens.

the dummy in the first segment was playing chicken across that intersection with a hard cement + brick island, and gridlock in the opposite lane

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The segment with a 3 foot wide bike lane? Just move to the side a bit dude.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

nsaP posted:

The segment with a 3 foot wide bike lane? Just move to the side a bit dude.

no, the subaru passed in the intersection where there was no bike lane

also,

most bikers consider bike lanes unusable, because there's often a buildup of debris inside them. So they tend to stay right on the line, towards the middle of the road.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

The footage used for this video was pulled from maybe 10 minutes of my commute home from work.

So this is actually your video? kastein would like a word with you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Lives will be lost.

You're an idiot

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

no, the subaru passed in the intersection where there was no bike lane

also,

most bikers consider bike lanes unusable, because there's often a buildup of debris inside them. So they tend to stay right on the line, towards the middle of the road.

There's also the tendency for the bike lane to be right next to the parking lane and for stupid fuckers to just swing the doors open as if they're escaping Italian thermal tuning. People don't look, people jump out from between cars, and cars actively don't give a gently caress. I say this from riding through the streets of New York which is also filled with equally suicidal cycling assholes as well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

I don't think police are even capable of pursuing or safely stopping a cyclist who broke any sort of safety law, therefore they have to make any/all laws against the big dopey motor vehicles.

The gently caress? Police pull over cyclists all of the time. I have personally been pulled over and warned about running a red light (I didn't run it, it was 3AM, I stopped, and when the light didn't change I crossed the deserted street). Almost every regular cyclist I know has either been warned or has gotten a ticket for breaking a law.

You need to calm the gently caress down. You're using faulty logic, and yelling at windmills.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

yelling at windmills.

Tilting at windmills :eng101:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yelling at windmills is a pretty quixotic thing to do in and of itself.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Have you considered not getting so worked up about a bike in the bike lane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
The average width of arterial lanes in this country between 11 and 12 feet (about three meters for you non-imperialists) while a bike lane is about 5 feet (1.5 meters) so unless Lamar is driving around in an H1 Hummer or a huge dual-wheel truck he doesn't even need to shift his lane position when overtaking a biker. Tilting at windmills indeed.