Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Anyone else on AT&T having a super long time to activate? I submitted via the web site this morning around 10 am EST and I'm still not active on the new SIM

Edit: called support and entered my phone. Power cycle and my phone is now activated. What the heck

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VoLTE is definitely working for me on Verizon. Post post posting while on the phone with only LTE, no Wi-Fi.

Forgot how nice having data while on a phone call was.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

VoLTE is definitely working for me on Verizon. Post post [quote="Star War Sex Parrot" post="435119813"]
VoLTE is definitely working for me on Verizon. Post post posting while on the phone with only LTE, no Wi-Fi.

Forgot how nice having data while on a phone call was.

Welcome back to 2007. Oh, that's right, Verizon never quite had that ever. ATT foreva.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

decypher posted:

Welcome back to 2007. Oh, that's right, Verizon never quite had that ever. ATT foreva.
I'd still be on AT&T but Verizon was the only carrier to spring for repeaters through our building so I had to switch 2 years ago. :)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does VoLTE use your data for the voice call?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Weird question, but does the OG iPhone 5 support wifi calling? I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile soon because the voice service is poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh, I've only had the 6 for three hours and I already think the screen on the 5 looks cramped.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I feel like I'm touching the screen directly on this thing. Like its painted on, bless u Tim.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

howe_sam posted:

Huh, I've only had the 6 for three hours and I already think the screen on the 5 looks cramped.
Yeah same. I was using my 5S for Twitter a little bit after I got my 6, just to get up to date with it, and my 5S' screen seemed obnoxiously small in comparison to this one. I don't know how because this one's only .7" bigger, but man, they really knocked it out of the park with this display.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does VoLTE use your data for the voice call?

I was wondering this as well. Also if the 5S supports it.

Looks like it does not!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I was wondering this as well. Also if the 5S supports it.

Looks like it does not!
Yeah it uses data, no VoLTE will not work on anything older than the 6. It requires a new radio AFAIK.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Sooo… ApplePay? I know it's not usable anywhere, but can you set it up with all your cards and info yet?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

Sooo… ApplePay? I know it's not usable anywhere, but can you set it up with all your cards and info yet?

The banks have to turn on their support first. So far, I got confirmations that Bank of American and Chase are both working to get it going but no dates yet.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I opened up passbook to see if I could set up the cards and doesn't look like it. Guess it will be rolled out in an update next month.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

howe_sam posted:

Came to post the exact same thing. The 5 also feels fat and gross compared to the 6 in almost every way. I remember the same exact feeling when I got my 5 to replace my 4.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Apple Pay was stated to be coming in an update in October.

Actually, with Apple Pay, iCloud Photos, now possibly HealthKit apps, and anything they might add to new iPads, it's looking to be a massive update. Maybe it'll be iOS 8.1.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Next month's update will be pretty big. iCloud photos is next year I believe though which will probably be in 8.1. There were rumors a while ago that some stuff apple wanted to include in 8 would be pushed to 8.1 due to focusing on Yosemite. Guess we will find out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Being a big feature adding update, it will almost certainly be 8.1 unless there's an 8.1 before that. I imagine there will be an 8.0.1 before then, though, to fix some bugs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8.0.1 is already in carrier testing, I believe.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hope when passbook is updated, there's an option to add cards that are not payment cards, or even swipeable cards, but just "information" cards. I'd like to add my two health insurance cards and my AAA card to passbook.

Granted, I could just take pictures of the cards and keep them in the photo library on my phone now, but where's the fun in that?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Are all iPhone 6 boxes supposed to be lacking the phone graphic from the top of the box? Mine just has the indentation.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

shodanjr_gr posted:

Are all iPhone 6 boxes supposed to be lacking the phone graphic from the top of the box? Mine just has the indentation.

same

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's all I saw.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

shodanjr_gr posted:

Yes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Next month's update will be pretty big. iCloud photos is next year I believe though which will probably be in 8.1. There were rumors a while ago that some stuff apple wanted to include in 8 would be pushed to 8.1 due to focusing on Yosemite. Guess we will find out.

iCloud photos for iOS was supposed to be iOS 8, with OS X support delayed until the desktop Photos app comes out.

The entire feature has been scrubbed from apple.com though.

Compare this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20140715165529/http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/photos/

To the current one: https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/photos/

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
iCloud backup is great when it works. And it's definitely not working right now.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
It worked fine for me at 2:30 EST. I was ready for it to be crazy slow but it wasn't even bad. Maybe people are starting to get out of work and pick up their phones so it's taking a hit now.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

serebralassazin posted:

It worked fine for me at 2:30 EST. I was ready for it to be crazy slow but it wasn't even bad. Maybe people are starting to get out of work and pick up their phones so it's taking a hit now.

I started and got the restore incomplete message. I'll wait until I get home and can do it via the iTunes back up.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any ideas on how to get Continuity up and running between an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini (both on iOS8 obviously).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I am finding SwiftKey way too fun.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone successfully had their iPhone 6 connect with an AT&T Microcell yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Any ideas on how to get Continuity up and running between an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini (both on iOS8 obviously).
It just works for me, I didn't have to do anything special. Make sure they're both signed into iMessage and FaceTime on the same account/contact numbers. Also check that "iPhone Cellular Calls" is enabled under FaceTime.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife just got a 6 and talking to her in my 5s is crap. If she has me on speaker, she can't hear me but I can hear her. If not on speaker, she can hear me and I can't hear her...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There doesn't seem to be any way to have handoff on and not do phone continuity either. But it's fine I don't really shuffle a lot of stuff on to my work phone anyway.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you guys are looking, you can get a 6+ off of Swappa for $1,500 :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I suppose the test for VoLTE would be just to make a call and see if it drops to 3G, and then maybe for kicks try to use data while on the call.

Cool. Seems like data works just fine when you make a VoLTE call :woop:

edit: as long as when you make the call you are on LTE, the other side can be on landline or whatever and it would still do VoLTE

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 19, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The curved glass in my 6 almost makes text look fake like one a dummy display phone, at least with the Awful app. It's crazy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The curved glass in my 6 almost makes text look fake like one a dummy display phone, at least with the Awful app. It's crazy.

I remember getting the 5 demo unit before it came out and thought the same thing about that, excited to see how the 6 looks. Did they improve the brightness or color reproduction or anything on it this time around?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn't help that Awful is using blow up text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What am I missing. I just got my 6. Turned it on and went through the whole setup and it's currently restoring from iCloud. However it's not picking up my at&t service. My 5 is still working, do I need to turn the 5 off or something?