Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Would that have been a 30$ launch mythic?

I can't imagine Empty the Pits at XBB with Delve would have been good for Legacy, Vintage or Modern given that there's a Dredgeable black-mana producing land (not to mention Dark Ritual).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Was this footnote in the article before Forsythe commented? Because if so, lmbo.

Yes.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

Would that have been a 30$ launch mythic?

If Aurelia's Fury can be a $30 launch mythic, anything can.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I mean, Aurelia's fury is the most efficient "pay X to fling damage around" of any of them (except I guess Miracle Bonfire, but Miracles...) and it can also be Glimpse the Sun god if that's what you need?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

kingcobweb posted:

I don't post these in the thread every week any more, but I reviewed Onslaught block and I'm extraordinarily proud of the section on Scourge.

It also got Forsythe to comment with a couple nuggets of information.

The Scourge section is fantastic, though I would have liked to have heard a bit more about Storm. Keep making these articles, they're great reads.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

That's all well and good but it ain't no fuckin 30 dollar card.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Nemico posted:

If Aurelia's Fury can be a $30 launch mythic, anything can.

This was the greatest thing ever :allears:

That rear end in a top hat I talked about a few pages earlier was CERTAIN this was going to be THE CARD for Standard and he traded me his Obzedats for it. A week later he confronted me trying to demand that we reverse the deal because his end was now bulk. Buyer beware, dude.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There was one guy at my store who did pretty well for a while playing UWR exlixir control with Aurelia's Fury as a finisher.

I'm always sad at rotation for cool cards that never found a home, and Gatecrash seemed to have a bunch of them. So long, Firemane Avenger, Master Biomancer, we hardly knew ye.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

There was one guy at my store who did pretty well for a while playing UWR exlixir control with Aurelia's Fury as a finisher.

I'm always sad at rotation for cool cards that never found a home, and Gatecrash seemed to have a bunch of them. So long, Firemane Avenger, Master Biomancer, we hardly knew ye.

I hate when I pick up a bunch of bulk rares hoping they'll get some play, and they never do.

Speaking of, what Khans bulk rares should I get a hundred of? Or Theros block sleepers, that'll do too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

I hate when I pick up a bunch of bulk rares hoping they'll get some play, and they never do.

Speaking of, what Khans bulk rares should I get a hundred of? Or Theros block sleepers, that'll do too.

Daring Thief. Grant Theft Ashiok isn't just for Theros block anymore. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

Sagu Mauler! I hope. Maybe some of the Ascendancies. Everything that's indisputably good is at like 5 dollars to start with.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Steam augury, only because I already have a fat stack that I want to buylist

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm going to go on record as saying I think Surrak Dragonclaw is way overpriced pre-ordering for $8 - $12 on most sites. I wish there was an easy way to short magic cards.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

Master Biomancer is basically kitchen table gold

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

Master Biomancer is basically kitchen table gold

So's Progenitor Mimic. The one time I ran it in a Simic deck I was trying out, I copied someone's Master of Waves with it, and it was glorious.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just looked at that Paulo sealed review and holy hell is he ever overestimating the amount of playable Delve cards a sealed pool is going to have.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

So's Progenitor Mimic. The one time I ran it in a Simic deck I was trying out, I copied someone's Master of Waves with it, and it was glorious.

Oh hell yeah. My casual standard deck this last go around was Simic Masters with Master of Waves and Master Biomancer. "No. My tokens don't die when you kill MoW. Sorry, bro." It is also fun attacking with 8/8 Kiora's Followers and 8/10 Coursers of Kruphix.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Oh hell yeah. My casual standard deck this last go around was Simic Masters with Master of Waves and Master Biomancer. "No. My tokens don't die when you kill MoW. Sorry, bro." It is also fun attacking with 8/8 Kiora's Followers and 8/10 Coursers of Kruphix.

Supreme Verdict :smug:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

One thing I want everyone to recognize right now, Sphinx's Revelation, does not have a plane specific name, meaning it will be VERY easy to reprint it in a later set. All the set needs to have is a Sphinx/Sphinxes and BOOM, Revelation is back baby.

Hopefully, it will be back soon, as I know I am not the only one who will sorely miss it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This was the greatest thing ever :allears:

That rear end in a top hat I talked about a few pages earlier was CERTAIN this was going to be THE CARD for Standard and he traded me his Obzedats for it. A week later he confronted me trying to demand that we reverse the deal because his end was now bulk. Buyer beware, dude.

The biggest preorder bath I ever took was Time Reversal. Never again...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If Rev ever comes back to standard I doubt it will be when there's support for a pretty pure draw-go. I get the impression WotC wants draw-go to be an exceedingly rare thing in standard. (Also tempo.) (Also combo in any competitive capacity.)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

One thing I want everyone to recognize right now, Sphinx's Revelation, does not have a plane specific name, meaning it will be VERY easy to reprint it in a later set. All the set needs to have is a Sphinx/Sphinxes and BOOM, Revelation is back baby.

Hopefully, it will be back soon, as I know I am not the only one who will sorely miss it.

I don't think they'd reprint Sphinx's Revelation because its format warping in Standard and not really good enough to need a Modern reprint.

Entropic posted:

Sagu Mauler! I hope. Maybe some of the Ascendancies. Everything that's indisputably good is at like 5 dollars to start with.

Sagu Mauler is one of those cards that Goons really like that the larger community seems to be indifferent on. I doubt you're going to see Temur decks running 4-of for a six-drop and the morph cost isn't going to fool anyone since the cost difference between Mauler and Rattleclaw Mystic is so high. I think you're more likely to see people putting Sarkhan in the deck as extra Stormbreath Dragons.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 19, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If Rev ever comes back to standard I doubt it will be when there's support for a pretty pure draw-go. I get the impression WotC wants draw-go to be an exceedingly rare thing in standard. (Also tempo.) (Also combo in any competitive capacity.)

So if we don't have tempo, or control, or tempo, what is blue supposed to do? They have been moving away from control for a while, and combo even longer, but I don't think they will be moving to far from tempo, it allows blue to play along the axis wizards has been moving standard towards (creature combat) while still maintaining blues spell heavy nature. They DID dial back tempo after snapcaster mage was printed, but I'm pretty sure thats more a reaction to that card, rather than anything specific against tempo decks. I would not be surprised to see blue tempo based decks be a more prevalent part of the metagame now that RTR, the last set that was standard legal with snapcaster mage, is rotating out.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think they'd reprint Sphinx's Revelation because its format warping in Standard and not really good enough to need a Modern reprint.

Never say never, we did just get mutavault and thoughtseize. I'm not saying anytime soon, that would certainly cause some burnout on par with the Titans, but I could see it being back in standard in the next 5yrs or so.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 19, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

So if we don't have tempo, or control, or tempo, what is blue supposed to do? They have been moving away from control for a while, and combo even longer, but I don't think they will be moving to far from tempo, it allows blue to play along the axis wizards has been moving standard towards (creature combat) while still maintaining blues spell heavy nature. They DID dial back tempo after snapcaster mage was printed, but I'm pretty sure thats more a reaction to that card, rather than anything specific against tempo decks. I would not be surprised to see blue tempo based decks be a more prevalent part of the metagame now that RTR, the last set that was standard legal with snapcaster mage, is rotating out.

Never say never, we did just get mutavault and thoughtseize. I'm not saying anytime soon, that would certainly cause some burnout on par with the Titans, but I could see it being back in standard in the next 5yrs or so.

Mutavault was some serious dumb poo poo they did because they apparently thought it would enable Sliver decks. Thoughtseize I think isn't necessarily "format warping" in that it doesn't actually warp the entire game when you cast one. Sphinx's Revelation kind of does. Its just a stupid card that does two annoying things that enable draw-go at the same time.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Mutavault was some serious dumb poo poo they did because they apparently thought it would enable Sliver decks.

Was that really the cited reason? Like I love mutavault, and I love having it in standard, but they were deluded if they didn't see that card being a standard all-star. Also, slivers are awesome, but with the quality creatures are now, slivers would have to be standard playable on there own, without any other sliver being present, before they'd even be a consideration. I mean a 1/1 for 1 that gives all slivers you control +1/+0 would be the baseline.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Angry Grimace posted:

Thoughtseize I think isn't necessarily "format warping" in that it doesn't actually warp the entire game when you cast one.

It warps the format in that it heavily discourages decks without good redundancy. And hell yes it warps individual games too. Have you never mulliganed against a Thoughtseize deck and then sworn when they drop a tapped Swamp? Or even just kept a mediocre hand against Mono B?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It warps the format in that it heavily discourages decks without good redundancy. And hell yes it warps individual games too. Have you never mulliganed against a Thoughtseize deck and then sworn when they drop a tapped Swamp? Or even just kept a mediocre hand against Mono B?

I look forward to having my opponent groan on turn one thoughtseize for another year. It really is pretty satisfying.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I mean, it does, but it doesn't warp the game the the way Revelation does in that a Revelation for any significant amount generally wins the game. I'm not denying Thoughtseize is a better card in general. I'm just saying Sphinx's Revelation creates an entire viable deck type around itself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 19, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Was that really the cited reason? Like I love mutavault, and I love having it in standard, but they were deluded if they didn't see that card being a standard all-star. Also, slivers are awesome, but with the quality creatures are now, slivers would have to be standard playable on there own, without any other sliver being present, before they'd even be a consideration. I mean a 1/1 for 1 that gives all slivers you control +1/+0 would be the baseline.

...1 mana 2/1 that gives other creatures you control +1/+0 is not the baseline for playable in standard... That is well above standard playable.

1 mana 2/1 with downside is playable in standard. Honestly, 4 of that card and then no other slivers still works, since that can swing in for 3-4 on turn 2.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If there is an Enchanted Evening in play and someone casts Deicide on your activated Mutavault, do you have to exile all Mutavaults in your deck? I would assume so.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

If there is an Enchanted Evening in play and someone casts Deicide on your activated Mutavault, do you have to exile all Mutavaults in your deck? I would assume so.

No, you'd exile the mutavault, then check to see if it is a god. Once mutavault is exiled, it is just a land and has no creature types.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 19, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gensuki posted:

...1 mana 2/1 that gives other creatures you control +1/+0 is not the baseline for playable in standard... That is well above standard playable.

1 mana 2/1 with downside is playable in standard. Honestly, 4 of that card and then no other slivers still works, since that can swing in for 3-4 on turn 2.

Standard is 2/1 for 1 with upside and, occasionally downside examples: 2/1 for 1 that can pump it self, a 2/1 for 1 that can return itself to the battlefield, a 2/1 for 1 that exiles cast sorcery and instants instead of them going to the graveyard, a 2/1 for 1 with protection from multicolor and gains you life whenever a multicolor spell is cast, a 2/1 for 1 that can be used as a creature boosting enchantment. Yes some of them cannot block, and one has jackal pup downside, but in the decks that are running them that is irrelevant. That is the competition slivers are up against.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Entropic posted:

Duskmantle Seer! :argh:

Such a sweet card, and nothing to use it in.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Madmarker posted:

You'll play green every standard season from here to eternity and you'll loving like it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Well yeah jeskai is a tempo deck. They tried to build a tempo shell in innistrad but woops they printed the two best blue creatures ever basically. Jeskai is more reserved but should be fine for standard tempo deck.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So anyone got suggestions for what to choose for the prerelease in terms of fun/effectiveness? Was leaning towards Jeskai because kung-fu is awesome. Just now sure how effective they'll be.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tracula posted:

So anyone got suggestions for what to choose for the prerelease in terms of fun/effectiveness? Was leaning towards Jeskai because kung-fu is awesome. Just now sure how effective they'll be.

My pick is Abzan, because W/B is my favorite color combination and "really slow" is my favorite pace of play.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tracula posted:

Azban and Mardu seem to be the top two, with Temur as the third place. I'm doing one of each minus Jeskai.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 19, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tracula posted:

Abzan and Mardu seem like the most likely to be good, since White/Black looks to have a lot of the most reliably good commons/uncommons. They all look fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tracula posted:

I'm going Mardu for my prerelease, because I like to thoughtlessly turn cards sideways, I guess.

• Locked thread