Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think her goal with these guys was training. So this is just the second stage of her training session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I'm curious why she felt these guys needed a sporting chance when she was perfectly fine with slitting the the throats of the boys and the judge with no warning. Is massacring Iraqi civilians somehow less of a crime than acquitting a quad of boys in the rape case that you preside over as a judge?

She wanted practice. And probably some sadistic-by-righteous-indignation fun.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slashrat posted:

a sporting chance

Yeah, right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

She wanted practice. And probably some sadistic-by-righteous-indignation fun.

She's basically a serial killer now and is escalating. Killing unsuspecting kids and old men isn't enough anymore, despite her claims of doing it for "justice". She's killing these people not because they've broken the law and gotten away with it, but because she misses the excitement of superhero scene. Initially just the act of murder was enough to bring that excitement back, but now things have gotten stale. She stepping up her game with targets who can potentially take her down, that's why she did the balloon exercise, they needed to know exactly what they were up against or there's no challenge and she can't get her fix.

Edit: Remember, their crimes are just an excuse. What Moonshadow is feeding on is the thrill of murder. By going after "badguys" she can rationalize it in her own mind. In the previous comic we already see that she knows that society as a whole would disprove of this, but she's "taking one for the team" and "making the hard choices" and other such platitudes.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Could Sonar take Moonshadow?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
She's loving batshit so maybe. I'm not super surprized about how this turned out. I hope this issue focuses a bit more around the whole idea or at least addresses the " Government totally was okay with a Adventurous Teenage Murder Club".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Looks like none of those guys had the sense to run screaming at "I am the invisible slasher"

Instead let's talk ethics with a superpowered serial killer :shepface:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jackard posted:

Looks like none of those guys had the sense to run screaming at "I am the invisible slasher"

Well she is a famous celebrity who can legally murder the poo poo out of biodynamics and works as a government enforcer. Plus can you imagine how cool it'd be if they got Moonshadow's autograph?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if she went after some white-collar criminals instead of murdering stupid kids, I'd like her more.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I'm curious why she felt these guys needed a sporting chance when she was perfectly fine with slitting the the throats of the boys and the judge with no warning. Is massacring Iraqi civilians somehow less of a crime than acquitting a quad of boys in the rape case that you preside over as a judge?

The villain gives a monologue before trapping and doing horrible things to the victims? Why I never...

Level Slide posted:

Could Sonar take Moonshadow?

I'm thinking his ability to echolocate is going to be needed in the fight. I don't think that's a detail we would have gotten if it wasn't meant to be used later.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe if she went after some white-collar criminals instead of murdering stupid kids, I'd like her more.

If she started offing lobbyists I'd be half way to starting her up a fanclub.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Soonmot posted:

She's basically a serial killer now and is escalating. Killing unsuspecting kids and old men isn't enough anymore, despite her claims of doing it for "justice". She's killing these people not because they've broken the law and gotten away with it, but because she misses the excitement of superhero scene. Initially just the act of murder was enough to bring that excitement back, but now things have gotten stale. She stepping up her game with targets who can potentially take her down, that's why she did the balloon exercise, they needed to know exactly what they were up against or there's no challenge and she can't get her fix.

Edit: Remember, their crimes are just an excuse. What Moonshadow is feeding on is the thrill of murder. By going after "badguys" she can rationalize it in her own mind. In the previous comic we already see that she knows that society as a whole would disprove of this, but she's "taking one for the team" and "making the hard choices" and other such platitudes.

I think this is basically right, with one additional caveat. She's not "killing" these people. She's "throwing them a birthday party." :colbert:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My prediction is that she actually does start offing lobbyists, bankers, and corrupt officials, and this is what lights the fire under the government's rear end to catch her, because an attack on the institutions of power cannot be forgiven.

And that's how Allison gets called in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

I think this is basically right, with one additional caveat. She's not "killing" these people. She's "throwing them a birthday party." :colbert:

I imagine the aftermath of the party might look like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pavlov posted:

Tarezax posted:

My prediction is that she actually does start offing lobbyists, bankers, and corrupt officials, and this is what lights the fire under the government's rear end to catch her, because an attack on the institutions of power cannot be forgiven.

And that's how Allison gets called in.

They wouldn't even bother letting Hector know.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A simple explanation of why she'd give the guys ammo would be to test herself. Sure she got all the balloons without breaking a sweat but an exercise with paint balls is not the same as real life combat. Even if the mercs are rattled now they are still trained killers. So when she kills them all she will likely move on to whatever target she has picked out next. Which quite likely will have armed security.

All and all it should be entertaining.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is why you always get the money upfront.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jackard posted:

She's a world famous superpowered serial killer. Would you run screaming at her if she just beat down your team without said team knowing what the gently caress?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

nimby posted:

She's a world famous superpowered serial killer. Would you run screaming at her if she just beat down your team without said team knowing what the gently caress?

At her? No. I think he meant away. Far away, before the doors were locked.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

rotinaj posted:

At her? No. I think he meant away. Far away, before the doors were locked.

Ah, yeah, that makes more sense. Doh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

She could still be planning a birthday party we don't know yet.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Trast posted:

A simple explanation of why she'd give the guys ammo would be to test herself. Sure she got all the balloons without breaking a sweat but an exercise with paint balls is not the same as real life combat. Even if the mercs are rattled now they are still trained killers. So when she kills them all she will likely move on to whatever target she has picked out next. Which quite likely will have armed security.

All and all it should be entertaining.

Alternately could just leave and let them shoot each other while trying to kill an invisible person in the dark. She seems too hands on for that though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am wondering how she got so much military ordinance without anyone noticing or raising an eyebrow...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering how she got so much military ordinance without anyone noticing or raising an eyebrow...

She's an American in America and she may have some money left over from being a celebrity. :911:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, fine, I was wrong. The thing with her killing them happened and is kind of interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pavlov posted:

Look, we all miss Golden Age Superman...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

She's also put an automatic door locker on that barn. She's literally going full on super-villain. I'm wondering if she's aware... I know she's not.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I bet her next target is a Super.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Superstring posted:

I bet her next target is a Super.

I bet her next target is Pintsize.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Error 404 posted:

I bet her next target is Pintsize.

Could be. Although, there is a convenient newly introduced character from the beginning of the issue.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

What's her crime, being black and educated? I think it's more likely Paladin is being used as an example of a biodynamic individual using their powers in a constructive way for societal good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What's her crime, being black and educated? I think it's more likely Paladin is being used as an example of a biodynamic individual using their powers in a constructive way for societal good.

Maybe she built a lot of super high tech for the government/military, something something it is a drone warfare allegory?
Granted, my money's on Pintsize, but Paladin could certainly work as well.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Error 404 posted:

Maybe she built a lot of super high tech for the government/military, something something it is a drone warfare allegory?
Granted, my money's on Pintsize, but Paladin could certainly work as well.

Man if Pintsized killed a non-biodynamic when they were cracking down on non-violent offenders that'd be pretty messed up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Unlucky7 posted:

they had tanks and jets at their superhero base, she probably just took a crate from there

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Man if Pintsized killed a non-biodynamic when they were cracking down on non-violent offenders that'd be pretty messed up.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that he probably has, but he's a teammate. So, you know. You'd think she'd be more likely to point at the society that messed them up and thought that was acceptable behavior from children.

...Oh poo poo, wait, that's exactly what she hasn't been doing all this time. I guess that's the central conflict going on here; Moonshadow wants to shank rapists and murderers one at a time, while Alison wants to find a way to kick that entire way of thinking in the face and kill it forever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Thinking on it, I kinda gotta wonder if Moonshadow is being set up as a foil for Feral.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Thinking on it, I kinda gotta wonder if Moonshadow is being set up as a foil for Feral.

I think that's right, but in this chapter I primarily see her as a foil for Pintsize. She's the logical extension of his methods, whether he realizes it or not. The main difference is that she doesn't feel like her vigilantism should be limited to socially acceptable targets. (And probably that he makes more of an effort not to kill people, but given the circumstances she can't exactly beat them up and leave them for the cops like usual.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It would have been better if the judge had just let the boys go because of a mistake or technicality like the evidence had been tampered with or destroyed accidently. It would have at least made it some sort of argument, but right now she's murdered rapist, a wife beating judge, and apparently war criminals.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

It would have been better if the judge had just let the boys go because of a mistake or technicality like the evidence had been tampered with or destroyed accidently. It would have at least made it some sort of argument, but right now she's murdered rapist, a wife beating judge, and apparently war criminals.

Who quite possibly sexually abused his daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was never sure which superteam Paladin was she on. Was she with Feral?

• Locked thread