Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Anyone have recommendations for a controller stand?

Don't need anything fancy or particularly mobile, I just have back problems so it'd be nice to elevate my DDJ-SR and my laptop so I'm leaning less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

slogsdon posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a controller stand?

Don't need anything fancy or particularly mobile, I just have back problems so it'd be nice to elevate my DDJ-SR and my laptop so I'm leaning less.

The crane stands are super nice, but can get pricey, the UDG stand are pretty much the exact design of the cranes at the same price point, and you only need it tilted upwards you can go with one of the AViiQ quick stands.

https://store.djtechtools.com/product_categories/3. Don't get an uberstand.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Starting to try and get some poo poo actually recorded for once. Holy god a Behringer mixer is not good for dynamic range.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

Holy god a Behringer mixer is not good

There we go.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there any way to get Serato to read from a secondary iTunes library?

I use iTunes Match so I'd rather not have a bunch of club mixes cluttering my normal listening library if possible.

It seems like simply watching folders for updates would be a basic feature for any DJ software, but I guess not.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Easiest thing to do is to open up that separate iTunes library before you open up Serato.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Old Man Pants posted:

There we go.

Yes agreed. I have a nicer Gemini (don't laugh it's a UMX-5) that works really well but I'm missing the AC adapter and I've been too lazy to hack together a new one.

I'm thinking maybe instead of getting those PLX-1000s I might be better off keeping the 12s and getting a new mixer instead.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

I've been wanting to get into DJing and mixing for a while now and was trolling around looking at different budget controllers, since I didn't want to drop $600+ on an S2 or something comparable ( :canada: prices :( ). Finally got lucky today and was able to score an almost brand new second-hand NS6 for $375. The guy selling it had some nice decks to compliment the controller, but I'm already going to have trouble finding space in my apartment for the NS6.

Soon I will unleash my Bryan Adams and ? and The Mysterians magnum opus mashup, Summer of 96 Tears :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Old Man Pants posted:

There we go.

:colbert:

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
So I just got a new roommate, meaning that my music room is now gone. I'm looking for ideas for a compact desk/stand for my setup. I currently use 2 stanton ST150's and a rane mixer. Does anyone have any recommendations for something super small? the 6 ft table I have won't cut it anymore.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Crunchtime posted:

So I just got a new roommate, meaning that my music room is now gone. I'm looking for ideas for a compact desk/stand for my setup. I currently use 2 stanton ST150's and a rane mixer. Does anyone have any recommendations for something super small? the 6 ft table I have won't cut it anymore.

Maybe something like this?

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Those things look sooo flimsy

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
A stiff breeze would blow that over.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

bad day posted:

A stiff breeze would blow that over.

Does in get windy inside your house?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
When I turn on the hurricane fan, it does.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I love clubs with terrible management. Walked into a club I was supposed to play tonight and they neglected to tell the normal dj (who booked me) that someone had bought out the place for the night.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

keevo posted:

I love clubs with terrible management.

Every club tho.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

True. Now that I think about it, I've had better experiences with bars than with most clubs. Being paid the same night and having a wider variety of music that can be played is pretty nice. The only downside is that the gear isn't usually taken care of.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I didn't realize loading a midi map for the DDJ-SR would make Traktor preferences painfully slow. I guess I'll just stick with Serato, I'm getting used to it anyways.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

slogsdon posted:

I didn't realize loading a midi map for the DDJ-SR would make Traktor preferences painfully slow. I guess I'll just stick with Serato, I'm getting used to it anyways.

Can you or anyone else confirm if this is your computer/controller specifically? or any/all computers with midi maps for any/all DDJ devices?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

cname posted:

Can you or anyone else confirm if this is your computer/controller specifically? or any/all computers with midi maps for any/all DDJ devices?

Apparently it has to do with the amount of memory mappings take up. It looks like the DDJ-SX mappings are pretty extensive, but I'm not sure if all of them are actually necessary for the DDJ-SR so I might see if I can slim them down.

Kind of weird, regardless. I've got a 2013 Macbook Air with 8 GB of RAM and those mappings make loading and changing settings take a huge amount of time.

Serato just updated with the ability to map secondary midi devices though, so part of the reason I wanted to use traktor in the first place is a lot less relevant.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why is Serato DJ so lovely in terms of analysing tracks than Rekordbox is? I have a great big stack of tunes that Rekordbox chewed through with zero effort, putting the correct BPMs in as well as the key etc. They're a mix of Wavs and 320 MP3s, mainly straight from producers but putting them into Serato has it kicking them out as corrupt.

What's the deal?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I may be wrong but I didn't think Serato supported wav analyzing. At least it doesn't double time EVERYTHING like Rekordbox does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The double time thing isn't even a thing, I can multiply/divide a BPM far easier than I can make a 'corrupt' track play through my system ;)

It definitely supports wav files as I've got tons of the fuckers, it's just certain ones it doesn't like, even if I make an mp3 of them and send them through again. It's odd.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So I'm facing a bit of a personal crisis and I figured this thread would give me some good options.

My current setup is centered around my DJM800 that I use either with 2 CDJ400's or 2X1's and an Audio 8 with Traktor. Recently I've considered downsizing to a single unit that would provide me with both USB support to play off flash drives like I do with the CDJ's as well as Traktor support BUT also has 4 channels. The 4 channels is the kicker as I've seen a few units that are 2 channel and meet the other requirements. Does what I'm looking for just not exist? I know that I could go with one of the four deck MIDI controllers for Traktor or Serato but I don't want to lose out on the ability to play solely off of flash drives.

Am I asking for too much here?

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Threw this out in the laptop thread, but figued you guys could help with what kinda specs to look for.

I'm getting a new laptop, and djing/production are things I've been getting into recently. Does anyone have any recommendations for a windows laptop that can handle both? I asked before about how the op flat-out recommends macs, but a lot of people here said a good windows notebook is ok (not to mention I've noticed more non-macs at local gigs). I also have an ipad that can hook up to my traktor controller in an emergency.

Or even if not a specific notebook, at least what to prioritize. I assume durability and RAM, natch.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lock posted:

Threw this out in the laptop thread, but figued you guys could help with what kinda specs to look for.

I'm getting a new laptop, and djing/production are things I've been getting into recently. Does anyone have any recommendations for a windows laptop that can handle both? I asked before about how the op flat-out recommends macs, but a lot of people here said a good windows notebook is ok (not to mention I've noticed more non-macs at local gigs). I also have an ipad that can hook up to my traktor controller in an emergency.

Or even if not a specific notebook, at least what to prioritize. I assume durability and RAM, natch.

Are you using the laptop for anything else? You don't need something with 16 gigs of ram and a crazy video card to run any of this stuff. 8 gigs and at least an I5 will do you well. Also 500+ gig HDD for all of your music. If you are gaming just get what you need for that, it will be more than enough to handle music software. As for brand, last I checked ASUS makes really solid laptops.

That being said, if its going to be strictly a music laptop I would just get a Mac, people are recommending them for a good reason.
Regardless though if you keep that poo poo clean and don't install absolutely everything on it you should theoretically be OK. Although I've seen windows crash/have issues with controllers way too many times for me to ever consider using a pc live.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Get a cheap refurbished 2010 MacBook and swap in a couple 4 gb memory sticks. Use this only for DJing. Use the money you saved to build a desktop for gaming and music production.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple products but they are standardized while Windows laptops are not. Risk of stuff loving up with a MacBook is a lot less. It still happens.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
/\ That's exactly what I did + a 1TB hard drive for production software/plugins, music videos and "all the music" which is basically standard hits between the 90s and now. Music which doesn't necessarily get played, but they're there just in case it's a super-basic crowd that wants "the usual."

I have 800 gigs dedicated to the DJ partition with the rest in a "general use" partition. Internet gets used very sparingly on the DJ partition and I typically try to test software on the "general use" partition before bringing it over.

One thing I've been meaning to ask is does anyone here play music directly off an external hard drive? I've seen it done so often and always wondered why the gently caress anyone would do that. It really seems on par with having a can of gas, in the trunk of your car, with a hose running from the can to the hole you use to fill the tank. I keep my library on an external but there isn't a chance in hell I'd consider not transferring it over to my computer, before mounting it on a deck. Hence, the massive hard drive.

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 20, 2014

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

aeglus posted:

Get a cheap refurbished 2010 MacBook and swap in a couple 4 gb memory sticks. Use this only for DJing. Use the money you saved to build a desktop for gaming and music production.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple products but they are standardized while Windows laptops are not. Risk of stuff loving up with a MacBook is a lot less. It still happens.

This is exactly what I did, grabbed one for $500 and its just a dedicated DJ/music library laptop and I've brought it with me on various trips, humid poorly ventilated basement gigs, clubs, countless afterparties and I've never had problems. Just replace the battery because if someone trips the cord it will shut down the whole thing. My desktop is a windows computer with dedicated graphics and a monster of a processor I use for Ableton and gaming. Although with the amount of DJs that produce on trains, airplanes, and hotel rooms the new Macbooks can handle music production just fine.

Whatever personal issue people have with Macs you can't argue those things are stable as hell.

edit: if you get an older Mac be prepared to upgrade the OS so you can install the latest version of Traktor. The old Macs come with snow leopard Im pretty sure.

liquorlanche posted:

One thing I've been meaning to ask is does anyone here play music directly off an external hard drive? I've seen it done so often and always wondered why the gently caress anyone would do that. It really seems on par with having a can of gas, in the trunk of your car, with a hose running from the can to the hole you use to fill the tank. I keep my library on an external but there isn't a chance in hell I'd consider not transferring it over to my computer, before mounting it on a deck. Hence, the massive hard drive.

I have my whole library on my HDD but I always keep USB keys backed up and usually bring a hub with me for impromptu back to backs, and I've never had any issue loading new keys mid set. Don't really understand the need to carry a whole external but a couple of keys as backup/to play on others computers/CDjs makes perfect sense to me.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 20, 2014

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm in a small-as-hell apartment and I move around a bit so a desktop isn't the best option. I'm not totally closed off to getting a used Mac, so I'll consider that. And I mean, personal hangups aside, if a mac is the right tool then it's the right tool. If a 2010 macbook is still recommendable, can I assume then that the forced-obsolescence rate on them isn't so bad? Might just break down and get a newer one that's my music-only machine if they're still that highly recommended.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Lock posted:

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm in a small-as-hell apartment and I move around a bit so a desktop isn't the best option. I'm not totally closed off to getting a used Mac, so I'll consider that. And I mean, personal hangups aside, if a mac is the right tool then it's the right tool. If a 2010 macbook is still recommendable, can I assume then that the forced-obsolescence rate on them isn't so bad? Might just break down and get a newer one that's my music-only machine if they're still that highly recommended.

For whatever it's worth, I've been DJing off the same late 2008 MBP since I bought it new (very first unibody model). Aside from maxing out the RAM and putting in an SSD, its still running the same C2D processor and it handles Traktor just fine. It's approaching the end of its useful life but 6 years and several generations of processors/chipsets ain't a bad run

The reason that Macs are so ubiquitous is because of the consistently high build quality and the integrated nature of the OS

It really is the best tool for the job IMHO

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, I could live with it lasting me 5+ years. I'll take a look at the macbooks then.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-controllers/traktor-kontrol-s8/

Was just playing with an S4 and really liking the freedom four decks gives me to press play on the wrong deck in new & interesting ways (my current rig is an S2+F1), but I've been holding out because I wanted to see if they'd come out with something that doesn't waste an absurd amount of space on jogwheels.

Well, here it is. Don't see any jogwheels, and waveform displays? I just got my bonus from work. I think I know where it's going.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

This touchscreen poo poo just implies to me even more kids that will have no idea what the gently caress to do when they go to play in a club on pioneers cdjs.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

They'll just bring in their controllers and gently caress around with the wiring so that the next DJ has to spend 20 minutes wiring it all back together properly. That's what's happening here.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Harley C posted:

This touchscreen poo poo just implies to me even more kids that will have no idea what the gently caress to do when they go to play in a club on pioneers cdjs.

Or perhaps they will simply bring in their gear like everyone else is doing. It's not hard to find a place to put your gear in any reasonable club these days, and even failing that, that's what having a flight case/coffin is for.

I'm also not sure that it actually is touchscreen, but I would love it if so. I'm expecting it to be like the displays on the Nexus 2000, which are still pretty fantastic, and I like using them as HID devices for Traktor.

keevo posted:

They'll just bring in their controllers and gently caress around with the wiring so that the next DJ has to spend 20 minutes wiring it all back together properly. That's what's happening here.

I keep hearing this and I don't get it. How are people loving up the wiring this badly? Even when I steal the RCA off a CDJ for my rig I can smoothly transition out of and into people who play on CDJs.

Perhaps this is why I keep getting booked even when I don't bother doing any promotion these days.

breaks
May 12, 2001

They're not touchscreens. Probably the same screens that are on the Maschine Studio, which are pretty nice, not super high-res or anything, but a lot more than you normally expect from a controller.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Speaking of touch strips, anyone else have problems with the strips on the X1 Mk2? I just nudge tracks with a button on my normal X1 but the MK2 just seems gimmicky as hell and not very accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
All touch strips can burn in hell (Novation Twitch especially). Platters or GTFO.